Alec Baldwin fired prop gun, killing 1 on movie set, Oct 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, note that the director says everyone seemed to be getting along. This should also put to bed some of the other appalling speculation early on about AB. It now seems that he was just an actor doing as he was directed by the director.
There is the question if it was a set up for a murder, as of course LE must consider, especially with the disagreements earlier in the day when people quit and were replaced with non union workers, which obviously was stressful, judging by Souza's own account in the affidavit.
ETA someone put a live round in the gun, for whatever reason, we don't know.

From the NYT link:
Mr. Souza was grappling with delays the day of the shooting, after about six members of the camera crew had quit over late pay and safety conditions, the affidavit said. Another crew had quickly been hired, but the production was off to a late start because of the labor problems. Mr. Souza said only one camera was available for recording before the shooting.

Asked about “the employees’ behavior,” Mr. Souza told investigators that “everyone was getting along” and that there had been “no altercations” to his knowledge.

The affidavit also includes notes from an interview with Reid Russell, a cameraman who was standing near Ms. Hutchins and Mr. Souza when the gun discharged.

Mr. Russell told the detective that after returning to the set from lunch, he had stepped outside for about five minutes; when he returned, according to the affidavit, Mr. Baldwin, Ms. Hutchins and Mr. Souza were setting up the scene and were already “in possession of the firearm.” Mr. Russell said he was not sure if the firearm had been inspected because he had been absent for those five minutes.

Last edited:
Nearly every film has “a bunch of producers.” Watch the credits on a movie and see how many producers and directors there are.

Even a short podcast I listen to every week has 7 producers and 5 directors.
That’s true.

There is the question if it was a set up for a murder, as of course LE must consider, especially with the disagreements earlier in the day when people quit and were replaced with non union workers, which obviously was stressful, judging by Souza's own account in the affidavit.

From the NYT link:
Mr. Souza was grappling with delays the day of the shooting, after about six members of the camera crew had quit over late pay and safety conditions, the affidavit said. Another crew had quickly been hired, but the production was off to a late start because of the labor problems. Mr. Souza said only one camera was available for recording before the shooting.

Asked about “the employees’ behavior,” Mr. Souza told investigators that “everyone was getting along” and that there had been “no altercations” to his knowledge.

The affidavit also includes notes from an interview with Reid Russell, a cameraman who was standing near Ms. Hutchins and Mr. Souza when the gun discharged.

Mr. Russell told the detective that after returning to the set from lunch, he had stepped outside for about five minutes; when he returned, according to the affidavit, Mr. Baldwin, Ms. Hutchins and Mr. Souza were setting up the scene and were already “in possession of the firearm.” Mr. Russell said he was not sure if the firearm had been inspected because he had been absent for those five minutes.
Yeah, I mean they have to consider sabotage/intentional killing but that would totally shock me. That would be a whole other level of crazy. Not impossible, but if I had to bet money at this point I think it’s probably exactly what it looks like—low budget, cutting corners on everything, including safety, and an AD with a rep for lax safety practices and you have a disaster waiting to happen. And it did.

Yeah, I mean they have to consider sabotage/intentional killing but that would totally shock me. That would be a whole other level of crazy. Not impossible, but if I had to bet money at this point I think it’s probably exactly what it looks like—low budget, cutting corners on everything, including safety and an AD with a rep for lax safety practices and you have a disaster waiting to happen. And it did.
I totally agree, but they have to investigate the possibility

I will say, that there has been a lot of blaming and conjecture on the "Armorer". We have not heard from her. Or what protocols were in place. Or who dropped the ball.

Nor would I say that a "24 year old woman" cannot be responsible or have the ability to maintain safety. That is by far, the most ridiculous statement. There are 24 year old women who are airline pilots, civil engineers, architects, nurses, training to be doctors, teachers, mothers...

My criticism of her is based on her own words that have been widely reported in MSM over the weekend. Even she doubted herself.

It almost seems to me like so many individuals failed to perform their specific safety practices that it might be hard to pinpoint one person to criminally charge. I almost think the studio (Netflix) might be the only one to be legally held responsible (civilly)? That’s what happened with The Crow. I don’t know—we need an entertainment lawyer on here!

Are we able to confirm that the union staff who left the set and were replaced by non union workers were 6 camera crew?. It seems in some posts and reports that the narrative is that the whole production was either non union or that the whole production staff were replaced that day,which would include the personnel responsible for firearms safety.
I'm not condoning the replacement of the union workers with non union,but in terms of how the replacement of 6 camera crew,I'm not sure I understand how this had an impact on the ability of the armourer and the AD to do the jobs it is reported they were responsible for?

Are we able to confirm that the union staff who left the set and were replaced by non union workers were 6 camera crew?. It seems in some posts and reports that the narrative is that the whole production was either non union or that the whole production staff were replaced that day,which would include the personnel responsible for firearms safety.
I'm not condoning the replacement of the union workers with non union,but in terms of how the replacement of 6 camera crew,I'm not sure I understand how this had an impact on the ability of the armourer and the AD to do the jobs it is reported they were responsible for?

Time!
There was more than likely a delay in filming, due to the camera crew's departure. Time wasted =$$$ on set. JMO

My criticism of her is based on her own words that have been widely reported in MSM over the weekend. Even she doubted herself.
Yes. I agree that she wasn’t ready based on her own admission recently. But I also don’t think it’s because she’s a young woman specifically. A 24 year old man or woman who has been apprenticing for say 6 years or so and has a proven stellar safety record and reputation could possibly be perfectly ready for the incredible responsibility of being in charge of all the weaponry on a set. I think that would be rare at that age though just because of brain development, life experience etc. Just like a 24 year performing brain surgery would not be the best idea IMO. Glad surgeons have to go to many many years of school and supervised training!

Last edited:
I will say, that there has been a lot of blaming and conjecture on the "Armorer". We have not heard from her. Or what protocols were in place. Or who dropped the ball.

Nor would I say that a "24 year old woman" cannot be responsible or have the ability to maintain safety. That is by far, the most ridiculous statement. There are 24 year old women who are airline pilots, civil engineers, architects, nurses, training to be doctors, teachers, mothers...
Not because she is a female, not because she is young, but because she is inexperienced. Her own words:

"It was also my first time being head armorer as well," Gutierrez-Reed said. "I almost didn't take the job because I wasn't sure if I was ready, but, doing it, like, it went really smoothly."

Gutierrez-Reed added that she was initially fearful of loading blanks. "I think loading blanks was the scariest thing to me because I was like 'oh, I don't know anything about it,'" she said.

The 24-year-old head armorer of Alec Baldwin's movie 'Rust' told a podcast she 'almost didn't take' her last job because she wasn't sure if she was 'ready'

Time!
There was more than likely a delay in filming, due to the camera crew's departure. Time wasted =$$$ on set. JMO

This makes sense of course.
My question was more related to the fact that people are confusing things and implying that the whole hired crew from the beginning were non union,or unqualified which doesn't appear to be the case.
I totally agree though that there was cost and corner cutting in place.

That whole day, it appears to me anyway., should have been scrapped. Murphy's law and all. It was a disaster in the making... Tensions high ( for some ) , exhaustion, staff leaving, waiting for replacements, $$$ concerns, rushing jobs to catch up. Complete chaos? Yikes

I don’t think there are hotels between Albuquerque and Santa Fe. Maybe a motor court or older inn.

I suspect they picked Albuquerque for a greater and cheaper selection of chain type hotels versus some of the resort high end accommodations in the middle of Santa Fe.

Evidently, the interaction between the film crew and the director regarding hotel selection went:

- Santa Fe: Too expensive for the director in the end

- Roadside motel closer to the set: Deemed by the union members to be a "homeless shelter"- and thus unacceptable.

- Albuquerque: Right on price for the director, right on quality for the union guys, but too far away to be practical. So, crew slept in their cars.

I dont know how many hotels in rural New Mexico are used as homeless shelters- though some may have some people living there as residents. Not every movie production has a Spielberg level budget.

But, the Union crew have, in all probability, worked low budget productions and could have just been requesting the industry norm- even for low low budget films. Then again..... Union members have made unreasonable demands in the past.

In the end, the truth regarding the hotel accomodations maybe somewhere in the murky middle.

Last edited:
In my view, the person who handed the weapon to the shooter and the shooter are the ones responsible. You always assume a weapon is loaded and you check every time. You never point the barrel of a weapon directly at anyone ever unless you're going to shoot them in self-defense.

In my view, the person who handed the weapon to the shooter and the shooter are the ones responsible. You always assume a weapon is loaded and you check every time. You never point the barrel of a weapon directly at anyone ever unless you're going to shoot them in self-defense.
But see this is the big problem with using real weapons on a set. I agree that a gun should NEVER be pointed at another person and if a person handles one they should personally check that it is not loaded. But on a film set we’re talking about actors who might not have ever even seen a gun up close. You want that person to open it and check for whether it’s loaded and if so with what? Actors would be shooting themselves in the face left and right. That’s just crazy to expect all actors on every set to be knowledgeable enough to do that. That’s why they have to rely on the people whose sole JOB is to make sure it’s safe. Obviously that makes no sense to conscientious gun owners who are taught individual responsibility, but it does not work in this situation. You can literally have tens of actors with guns in their hands on a set in a scene. No way every single one is experienced enough with guns to even know what they looking at if they’re even able to open it up without incident. It just makes sense for the industry to adopt new rules banning real weapons in filming. MOO

Evidently, the interaction between the film crew and the director regarding hotel selection went:

- Santa Fe: Too expensive for the director in the end

- Roadside motel closer to the set: Deemed by the union members to be a "homeless shelter"- and thus unacceptable.

- Albuquerque: Right on price for the director, right on quality for the union guys, but too far away to be practical. So, crew slept in their cars.

I dont know how many hotels in rural New Mexico are used as homeless shelters- though some may have some people living there as residents. Not every movie production has a Spielberg level budget.

But, the Union crew have, in all probability, worked low budget productions and could have just been requesting the industry norm- even for low low budget films. Then again..... Union members have made unreasonable demands in the past.

In the end, the truth regarding the hotel accomodations maybe somewhere in the murky middle.
I travel for work, and some of the clinics where I receive assignments are either in very small towns or out in the middle of nowhere. In these cases the acceptable overnight accommodations are somewhere between slim and none.

In these cases our company gives us the option of driving to a city with nice hotels, which can be two hours or more each way, or staying in small local motels that are often older, and lacking the amenities that we usually enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
everyoneblooms