Alex Trebek, 'Jeopardy!' host, has stage 4 pancreatic cancer, dies Nov 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Watching Alex walk tonight, he looks really uncomfortable. I noticed for the first time he was seated on a stool behind his desk. Never seen that before.

Several years ago, Alex suffered an injury that required surgery to repair his Achilles tendon. Perhaps he experiences residual discomfort from the injury/surgery. Following the surgery, he was in a cast for several weeks and sat on a stool during tapings of Jeopardy!

ETA: News article about the incident that caused the injury...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/alex-trebek-needs-surgery-after-chasing-burglar-1.1075020

Last edited:
Jeopardy!'s Alex Trebek Celebrates Defying Cancer Battle Odds With Emotional Speech to Viewers | Xfinity

Alex Trebek is defying the odds. The longtime Jeopardy! host took to social media to give viewers an update on his battle with pancreatic cancer. Trebek announced his diagnosis with the aggressive disease in March 2019. He took the one-year anniversary of his diagnosis to share his thoughts on beating the odds, as well as his hopes for the future.

"Hi everyone. If you've got a minute, I'd like to bring you up to date on my health situation. The one-year survival rate for stage four pancreatic cancer patients is 18 percent. I'm very happy to report I've just reached that marker," he said.

Then Trebek went into detail about the toll his treatments have taken on him and the bouts of depression he battled while undergoing chemo...

I hope Alex is OK and this was a planned re-run they are showing tonight. It has Ken Jennings looking about 16yrs old, and Alex looks very healthy so it is going back a while....

I saw it too! Ken did look young and Alex still had some color in his hair. Did you catch how many years ago that was originally shown?
I just saw this and don't remember reading it before.

3/20/20
Jeopardy! has suspended production until further notice.

The episodes that are currently airing were taped several weeks ago – well before concerns about the coronavirus. Any interactions between contestants, Alex or the studio audience took place when such actions were considered safe.

We take the well-being of our staff, crew, contestants, audience guests and host very seriously, and will not resume taping until it is completely safe.

Jeopardy! COVID-19 Updates | J!Buzz | Jeopardy.com

I saw it too! Ken did look young and Alex still had some color in his hair. Did you catch how many years ago that was originally shown?
I just saw this and don't remember reading it before.

3/20/20
Jeopardy! has suspended production until further notice.

The episodes that are currently airing were taped several weeks ago – well before concerns about the coronavirus. Any interactions between contestants, Alex or the studio audience took place when such actions were considered safe.

We take the well-being of our staff, crew, contestants, audience guests and host very seriously, and will not resume taping until it is completely safe.

Jeopardy! COVID-19 Updates | J!Buzz | Jeopardy.com
Wheel of Fortune states the same thing so that people know they aren't filming these during COVID-19.

Have No Fear, Jeopardy! Has Weeks of New Episodes | Xfinity

Have no fear, Jeopardy! still has new episodes left to air. E! News has learned the fan-favorite game show will return with new episodes on Monday, May 18. The new episodes will continue for just four weeks after the Jeopardy! The Greatest of All Time encore event.

New regular episodes air from May 18-22. The Teachers Tournament quarterfinals air May 25-29, the Teachers Tournament semifinals and finals air from June 1-5 and new regular Jeopardy! episodes air June 8-12.

The rest of Jeopardy!'s summer schedule will be announced at a later date...

DH and I are enjoying this year's Teacher's Tournament that was taped earlier this year (February, I think). Alex looks good and appears to have good energy. The Teacher's Tournament runs through next Friday, and I read somewhere that the show will go into reruns for the summer.

There is a special feature about Alex in my latest TCM newsletter. Alex Trebek was asked and answered the following questions:

What was the first movie you fell in love with? Wuthering Heights (1939). I saw it at a drive-in theater when I was 16.

What cinematic, artistic or political figure has been most influential in your life? Mark Twain

What is one skill people would be surprised to know you have? The ability to repair problems around the house

What is your favorite scene from a movie? The scene at the dinner table from How Green Was My Valley (1941), where the father, played by Donald Crisp, turns to Roddy McDowell and says, “Yes, I know you’re there, my son” after the other sons had left.

What film or book character has taught you something about yourself? Laurence Darrell from The Razor’s Edge (1946)…he reminds me of myself.

What is the first thing you do in the morning? I go through the entire newspaper, front to back, and then I do the crossword puzzle.

What movie speaks to your soul and why? Lonely Are the Brave (1962), which Kirk Douglas considered his favorite of his films.

What’s your perfect double feature? Way Out West (1937) with Laurel and Hardy, and The Killers (1946) with Ava Gardner

If you could be any classic star for a day, who would it be? Dean Martin

If you had to pick a decade of movies to watch for the rest of your life, which decade would it be? The 1930s.

https://twitter.com/Jeopardy/status/1283778418052599808

A bearded Alex Trebek says he's 'feeling great' in latest health update

"I'm doing well," Trebek said in a video posted to the show's official Twitter account. "I've been continuing my treatment and it is paying off though it does fatigue me a great deal. My numbers are good. I'm feeling great."

"In fact, during the break from the studio, I even wrote a book that will be coming out July 21st," he added, referring to his memoir that will be released the day before his 80th birthday.

Starting July 20, fans will be able to watch a week of the best episodes from the show's first decade. The following week will show highlights from "Celebrity Jeopardy!" featuring stars like Carol Burnett, Regis Philbin and Martha Stewart.

"I can't wait to return to the studio and start recording shows for the new season in September," Trebek said. "Meanwhile, my wish for all of you -- stay safe."

Alex Trebek Is Still in the Game

...After some encouraging news from doctors last year, Trebek’s prognosis has worsened. If his current course of cancer treatment fails, he plans to stop treatment, he said.

“Yesterday morning my wife came to me and said, ‘How are you feeling?’ And I said, ‘I feel like I want to die.’ It was that bad,” he said. “There comes a time where you have to make a decision as to whether you want to continue with such a low quality of life, or whether you want to just ease yourself into the next level. It doesn’t bother me in the least.”...

:(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back