All Sauvie Island Searches

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I wasn't assuming any particular person when I asked that question -- it just looked like the part of the riverbank where they were searching was easier to reach by water than by land.
Oh, okay! Sorry - I thought you meant that a suspect might drop a body there by boat! Forgive me!

I can't take credit for this question but thought it might be worth talking about. Hoping this is the right thread?

Could the phone ping in question be coming TO her phone from Sauvie and not FROM her phone? I admit to not knowing how pings work though. ;)

Yes, absolutely I think that is possible.

Also, as I recall from the Laci Peterson case, a tower can ping a phone even if there aren't any calls coming in or out. I'll see if I can find the science behind that.

Also, for all we know she might have texted someone that she was on Sauvie Island. We don't know that she did, we don't know that she didn't.

From what we've looked at in the timeline (of course) we don't know what LE has ruled in or out, but it appears if she was on SI, she only had about 20 minutes there max. So if a boat was involved, it would be an accomplice taking Kyron, IMO.

I'm sooo not sure she was even on SI. If all they have is phone pings, I may be wrong, but you don't have to be on SI to have your phone ping there. There's a pretty tall phone tower there, and I was looking at Rainbow Lake across the highway from SI, when you do an antenna search there, the tallest one is on SI, so it's quite possible your phone could ping there. And, the way I understand it, your phone can ping without a phone call, so long as it's turned on. That's why I'm thinking LE just must have something more than phone pings, to be searching the east side of SI. Maybe I'll do an antenna search for the Island Cove Market and see where the local towers are.

bbm

I don't think she was either, given the timeline they can prove. As far as the pings, it all stemmed from WW and their 3rd, 4th, 5th hand unnamed sources not connected to the investigation. Until LE or Houze comes out and confirms this, I view it as speculation.

bbm

I don't think she was either, given the timeline they can prove. As far as the pings, it all stemmed from WW and their 3rd, 4th, 5th hand unnamed sources not connected to the investigation. Until LE or Houze comes out and confirms this, I view it as speculation.

KoinTV just reported the same thing the other day, of course it's an unamed source again.

Free, I was just thinking that she could roll the stroller up to the structure in picture #23 and drop him over the railing, then let the current do the rest.

Here is a picture I was standing on the dock ..

Gilbert River starts right here (and goes to the left) branching off from the Multnomah Channel..

So Gilbert River is closest to dock and Mult Channel is on the other side of those trees.

I don't know how deep it is there, or what would happen if something was dropped in..

http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/.../?action=view&current=gilrivermultchannel.jpg

KoinTV just reported the same thing the other day, of course it's an unamed source again.

Yeah. Even the major cable networks and other news sources were stating that as fact ... but waaaay back I made a post showing that it all traces back to the WW article. They're the ones who got this rumor started.

I've been out to SI at various times of the day and year, and I just can't figure out how she could be SURE no one would see her. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason wrt where and when people might be out there. A fisherperson or a photographer isn't bound to weather conditions. We go out in the middle of winter sometimes to see the frost on the pilings. Plus, there's a great view of Mt. St. Helens from that beach they searched this weekend. IMO, either she knew exactly where she was headed if she went out there (and she could have - Kaine said they went out there frequently) and had staked out the place beforehand, OR she stopped by the side of one of those roads between the school and SI, and dumped him there. I'm leaning toward the latter. If it is the latter, I just can't figure out where SI fits into this whole thing....

Something I've been meaning to ask here. Kaine said in one of his interviews that BOTH he and Terri had been out there on field trips with Kyron's school, does anyone know what they would be viewing out there. Is it the pumpkin patches and corn maze, or is there something else out there they would go to?

Oh, okay! Sorry - I thought you meant that a suspect might drop a body there by boat! Forgive me!

Oh, no problem. I wasn't very clear and you were perfectly polite -- it's important to straighten these things out.

http://www.katu.com/news/local/104675229.html

This photog was at the same place I was taking these pictures, she had a way better zoom lens on her videocamera.

My pics are 21-25 showing where we were at and the searchers in distance.
http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t166/ubrmel/10 09 2010 SEARCH KYRON/
The line search shown in the article (first picture of the three) was done off the
road where you see the SUV's and they just did a short line search walk coming towards us.. not too far out into that field and then turned around and came back.
The horses did a line search to the right of that road..

That is where on Saturday I saw a MCSO shuttle van pick up searchers and drop some off, (behind in the trees where we could not see where they were) and a lot of the SAR's parked their trucks and horse trailers at that barn (shown in my pictures)

Yesterday again I saw horses going down that same road (there is no name for it on any maps)

In regards to the whole search...
I know Saturday they had 3 MCSO vans shuttling SAR's back and forth from SAR Base to their designated search areas and Sunday they had two and I actually saw them going back and forth both days = $$ gas...

I also know that in last weekends search and this weekend, they had the big Multnomah County Mobile Communications vehicle there (I cannot remember the name exactly, we followed it out of the island yesterday) which also = $$ for employees to be in there and gas

And they had a mobile repeater antenna that had to be manned by MCSO Radio Techs, so that there could be better communication between SAR Base at Sauvie Island School and the searchers with radios out in the field.. = $$ for those employees (Radio Techs)

So I think that MCSO had to have some $$ invested in this and believed there is reason to put all those searchers out there.

Why Sauvie's again.., I have no clue.
I've stopped trying to figure it out.

They have been all over Cornelius Pass and back in the brush off there, around the school, Germantown & Old Germantown Rds, just to name a "few" of the search areas I've seen myself the past months.. they have covered a LOT of area..

As a local and knowing the areas they have been searching in, I do believe MCSO is putting a lot of work and effort into finding Kyron, and IMO crossing every t and dotting every i to make sure nothing is missed..

I know we are just seeing a small part of the efforts they are making/doing to find him and there is probably a heck of a lot more, I'm sure of it, that the public has no clue about (as far as efforts, time, and what they have looked into)

I hadn't seen this before, but I'm glad they've kept a search and rescue fund separate.

There are two main funds: a Bank of America contribution account managed by the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office and the Kyron Horman Foundation, organized by Kyron's parents, Kaine Horman and Desiree Young, and stepfather Tony Young.

The sheriff's office fund began in June to offset the mounting expenses of the search for the missing boy, said spokeswoman Lt. Mary Lindstrand.

A chunk of donations are earmarked for search and rescue expenses, including staff hours, gas and meals. County search efforts are managed by the sheriff's office, but bolstered by nonprofit volunteer crews.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/10/donations_top_85000_for_kyron.html

Sometimes I wish someone would stuff socks in the mouths of the entire Source family. They all seem like a bunch of troublemakers.

The Source family is bad enough but the cousins are even worse (firsthand, secondhand, etc).

Sometimes I wish someone would stuff socks in the mouths of the entire Source family. They all seem like a bunch of troublemakers.

The Source family is bad enough but the cousins are even worse (firsthand, secondhand, etc).

Yep, and that really makes me wonder who in the heck they are!?

I hadn't seen this before, but I'm glad they've kept a search and rescue fund separate.

There are two main funds: a Bank of America contribution account managed by the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office and the Kyron Horman Foundation, organized by Kyron's parents, Kaine Horman and Desiree Young, and stepfather Tony Young.

The sheriff's office fund began in June to offset the mounting expenses of the search for the missing boy, said spokeswoman Lt. Mary Lindstrand.

A chunk of donations are earmarked for search and rescue expenses, including staff hours, gas and meals. County search efforts are managed by the sheriff's office, but bolstered by nonprofit volunteer crews.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/10/donations_top_85000_for_kyron.html

Thanks.

The searchers in this case have done such a wonderful, wonderful job. Thank you, all of you, from the bottom of my heart.

If she has an iphone or something like it, she could have taken the picture on her iphone and posted it on her facebook at any time during the day. It would have pinged when she posted it though.

If sent from a phone I am pretty sure the post with the picture would say "sent from my mobile device" or something similar.

One possibility......

Kaine got home not too long after Terri uploaded the Science Fair pictures to facebook.... upload 1:20pm and Kaine got home 2pm - 2:30pm. So only 40 minutes to an hour or so in between.

I think it is possible that investigators were only working with the time frame before that upload. We haven't heard any requests for if anyone saw Terri after 1:00pm (that I have seen.) They may have assumed that she really was home.

They may have followed cell phone pings to the island...then thought that was a red herring left by Terri when they didn't find anything.

However, I think investigators may have recently realized she may not have been home at 1:20pm when the pictures were uploaded. They may have verified that by tracing back the IP to the island.

Since the pictures were uploaded, they know someone was there, unlike the cell phone pings. That would lend more credibility to where the IP address traced to and it would be less likely to be a red herring.

Yet, they still wouldn't know where she put any evidence, just that she was on the island. The same could apply to cell phone pings, if they were able to place the phone in her possession somehow.

If they had both the pings and a traced IP, that would be especially compelling.

This would justify a more extensive search.

This would be also newly developed information from an old tip that has been known since the very beginning.

Couple of things: is there free wifi near where they are searching or did the
Hormans have one of the instant wifi connector things?

Why just figure this out now? Wouldn't this have been a fairly routine thing to do in the beginning?

I like your idea, and it does seemingly fit the statements, just not the timing imho.

Yes, absolutely I think that is possible.

Also, as I recall from the Laci Peterson case, a tower can ping a phone even if there aren't any calls coming in or out. I'll see if I can find the science behind that.

For mobile phones to work, they have to be in regular contact with cell towers. So, when handsets are on, they emit signals (called pings) to nearby towers every few minutes to let the network know where they are. Pings narrow the location only to the coverage region of a particular cell tower, an area that can encompass several square miles. Mobile phone companies keep records of calls to and from phones, as well as a limited number of recent locater pings. How long they keep these is dependent on the carrier

For mobile phones to work, they have to be in regular contact with cell towers. So, when handsets are on, they emit signals (called pings) to nearby towers every few minutes to let the network know where they are. Pings narrow the location only to the coverage region of a particular cell tower, an area that can encompass several square miles. Mobile phone companies keep records of calls to and from phones, as well as a limited number of recent locater pings. How long they keep these is dependent on the carrier

The science on that: they need the signal to work, and usually it's the closest cell tower to a cell phone. Some cellular or satellite devices have farther-reaching capabilities and will ping off a different towers' company. Some companies 'share' towers and so it's hard to tell what was pinging, where, even when there are records pulled up then it's not always clear. I think. :waitasec:

Kyron disappearance: Sauvie Island search turns up nothing

For the second straight weekend, searchers combed Sauvie Island but turned up no clues in the disappearance of 8-year-old Kyron Horman.

The Multnomah County Sheriff's Office said searchers found only junk piles and deer bones while looking through tangled brush for signs of the missing boy.

"[The search] isn't based on any new information,

http://www.katu.com/news/local/104739469.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mamabear2024