Greece American tourist a retired cop, 59, not returned from a solo hike, Amorgos Island, 11 June 24

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Still missing.
His brother Oliver and girlfriend Debbie speak in the video. Aerials of the island are also shown, as well as a brief CCTV of him setting out.

(I was confused by the name reported, seems both names are correct...Eric Albert Calibet)

And here on the local news channel.
"....local shepherds have also joined in to help find him."
"The island is half the size of Catalina. It's not that big," said his brother, Oliver Calibet. "Time is of the essence... he's on the fourth day right now. It's not good, but we're very positive about it."

Temperatures exceeded 104 degrees Fahrenheit on Thursday in much of central and southern Greece, including greater Athens, the Cyclades and Crete.

Officials are on heightened alert for wildfires, which plague Greece every summer.

The disappearance of the second American is very strange :
The friend called the police after he returned home Thursday and found the door of the house open, the lights on, the air conditioning unit on, but the missing American's ID and travel documents gone, along with the man himself, according to investigators.
in Second American reported missing from Greek islands, authorities say
2024-06-15-09h39-27.png

In this GMA video (also including the interview with Albert's girlfriend and brother, but with different editing) the timeline is laid out.
7:07 am Albert calls and chats with his girlfriend and he says he's heading out for the hike
9:20 am - Albert sends a photo of himself at the trailhead sign
11 am - Albert is seen at the refreshment stand (which looks to be between a third and halfway along the trail to Chora, so this timing makes sense.)

So it would be getting very hot by the time he left the refreshment stop. It's too bad that he didn't get a slightly earlier start for his hike.

Video Search for missing American tourist in Greece

In this GMA video (also including the interview with Albert's girlfriend and brother, but with different editing) the timeline is laid out.
7:07 am Albert calls and chats with his girlfriend and he says he's heading out for the hike
11 am - Albert is seen at the refreshment stand (which looks to be between a third and halfway along the trail to Chora, so this timing makes sense.)

So it would be getting very hot by the time he left the refreshment stop. It's too bad that he didn't get a slightly earlier start for his hike.

They don't mention if he had any hiking gear with him. He should have at least 1 Liter of water, a hat, maybe sunscreen, perhaps a pack of some kind. If he were experiencing heat exhaustion or similar, he may have inadvertently dropped some of the gear along the trail.

Here in Southern California too. Heat, dehydration, heatstroke.
So dangerous.

Condolences to the family of the Dutch hiker on Samos.
Hoping the other missing hikers will be found too, for the sake of their families.

Bolded by me. I was under the impression the walk was supposed to take 4 hours in it's entirety. Was the walk much longer than reported?

ETA- changed entirely to entirety.

Last edited:
Bolded by me. I was under the impression the walk was supposed to take 4 hours in it's entirety. Was the walk much longer than reported?

ETA- changed entirely to entirety.
He only started the hike at 9:20 (at trailhead) and was last seen at 11. So he was only 1:40 into his hike when last seen.
At least that is my interpretation.
Regarding the gap between his call with his sister and the photo at the trailhead, it's possible that he went out somewhere for breakfast and got his gear/supplies ready for his hike?

He only started the hike at 9:20 (at trailhead) and was last seen at 11. So he was only 1:40 into his hike when last seen.
At least that is my interpretation.
Regarding the gap between his call with his sister and the photo at the trailhead, it's possible that he went out somewhere for breakfast and got his gear/supplies ready for his hike?
That makes sense. The media was originally reporting that he left at 7am and was expected to get there at roughly 11am but initial reports from the media are, imo, invariably incorrect.

Ebm - word originally removed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back