Greece American tourist a retired cop, 59, not returned from a solo hike, Amorgos Island, 11 June 24

Last night I was reading about the effect of humidity on the incidence of heat stroke and it is, indeed, profound.

Far lower air temperatures are needed to induce heat stroke with high humidity.

You would not think of the barren hills of the Greek Islands as humid, but their proximity to the ocean gives them surprising levels of humidity. I was trying to find the average daytime humidity on Naxos (closest weather station I can find to Amorgos) but I couldn't find it in my brief look last night.

High humidity reduces (and reduces the effectiveness of) sweating. Sweating is the body's primary method of cooling itself, so without it you overheat MUCH more quickly and easily.

I found this specifically about Crete:

The source, below, showed a graph where average humidity on Crete ranged from about 54% in summer to nearly 70% in January.
Warm air can absorb more moisture than cold air. The relative humidity indicates how much moisture can be physically contained in the air. At high humidity, a person feels uncomfortable and perceives this as oppressive. In general, a relative humidity of 40-60% feels pleasant. With only 57% humidity on average, it is quite dry in July. The highest value of 68% is experienced here in January.

With a heatwave temp of 104 and maybe 50% humidity, the Heat Index is 130 F

Zowie.

Crete is a different kind of island than Amorgos, though. It's much larger and has different climate zones. There are mountainous areas, the south is different from the north, the west is a whole different kind of place, etc. So, an average for the island might not be super helpful.

The high humidity in winter in Crete is likely rain. The temperatures would be lower then.

Messing about on the Minoan ruins in Crete in June, eeeeek! Southeast coast, FRY! Never mind the humidity: the intensity of the sun is plenty to worry about!

Last night I was reading about the effect of humidity on the incidence of heat stroke and it is, indeed, profound.

Far lower air temperatures are needed to induce heat stroke with high humidity.

You would not think of the barren hills of the Greek Islands as humid, but their proximity to the ocean gives them surprising levels of humidity. I was trying to find the average daytime humidity on Naxos (closest weather station I can find to Amorgos) but I couldn't find it in my brief look last night.
FWIW I've never noticed humidity in Greece. Baking in the sun was a more obvious threat for me. That, and the smog in Athens, which can intensify UV IIRC.

I usually roll my eyes at conspiracy theories but there were things discussed earlier in this thread that are leading me to be open to alternative scenarios,

Along the line of a man with his work skills and background making numerous trips to the same island which is so far from the U.S. I mean, us Brits nip to Greek Islands on a quick flight and it is relatively inexpensive, many low cost airlines to choose from. Not so easy from America.

Did he send the trail head photo as a deliberate ploy? Make a point of showing his route to the woman in the village? All to throw people off a scent?

So many boats around the islands, so many coves…

Maybe I am just hoping he is not another soul lost to the heat or a fall.

I usually roll my eyes at conspiracy theories but there were things discussed earlier in this thread that are leading me to be open to alternative scenarios,

Along the line of a man with his work skills and background making numerous trips to the same island which is so far from the U.S. I mean, us Brits nip to Greek Islands on a quick flight and it is relatively inexpensive, many low cost airlines to choose from. Not so easy from America.

Did he send the trail head photo as a deliberate ploy? Make a point of showing his route to the woman in the village? All to throw people off a scent?

Good points, CaptainNancy.

He certainly has the knowledge of how one can perpetuate a ruse, but why he would do this to his travel partner waiting in Katapola and his clearly distraught brother and fellow American LEO is not making sense to me.

I guess that foul play from a local should also be considered. No evidence like fingerprints on a Coke can is likely available about his reported stop in Steki.

What is really needed is review of his phone records. That is really the only thing I think that will find him at this point.

Day 15 of the search closes without any leads being reported. I hope he is found tomorrow.

Good points, CaptainNancy.

He certainly has the knowledge of how one can perpetuate a ruse, but why he would do this to his travel partner waiting in Katapola and his clearly distraught brother and fellow American LEO is not making sense to me.

I guess that foul play from a local should also be considered. No evidence like fingerprints on a Coke can is likely available about his reported stop in Steki.

What is really needed is review of his phone records. That is really the only thing I think that will find him at this point.

Day 15 of the search closes without any leads being reported. I hope he is found tomorrow.
Also good points.

But people have been known to sacrifice the emotions of their nearest and dearest. John Darwin, The man who faked his disappearance from a kayak, for example.

On the other hand If I thought I might be at risk of some sort of Black Ops strike I might leave a trail of crumbs, knowing that whoever captured me would disable my phones. The discussing his route in the village just seems slightly interesting.

Also good points.

But people have been known to sacrifice the emotions of their nearest and dearest. John Darwin, The man who faked his disappearance from a kayak, for example.

On the other hand If I thought I might be at risk of some sort of Black Ops strike I might leave a trail of crumbs, knowing that whoever captured me would disable my phones. The discussing his route in the village just seems slightly interesting.

Is there a different discussion of his route in the village ( ?Aegiali?) or is something that's been talked about, such as the CCTV footage.

Also good points.

Interesting musing about Block Ops Strike

History of LEO. Greek Passport. Fluent French & likely Greek. Repetitive visits to obscure Greek island, near MidEast. Appears to be in good shape. No social media tracks appear ( no FB, no X) No specific mentions anywhere of prior relationships or children other than the one current GF in LA.

Certainly could have had the Coke and bought water to establish alibi for being on the trail then taken a route off back to Aegiali and hopped the ferry back to one of the other islands.

History of LEO. Greek Passport. Fluent French & likely Greek. Repetitive visits to obscure Greek island, near MidEast. Appears to be in good shape. No social media tracks appear ( no FB, no X) No specific mentions anywhere of prior relationships or children other than the one current GF in LA.

Certainly could have had the Coke and bought water to establish alibi for being on the trail then taken a route off back to Aegiali and hopped the ferry back to one of the other islands.
IMO, under that scenario he's the worst covert operative ever, because he's created a public/media sensation for having disappeared. Pretty sure that's frowned on by Control.

JMO

What perplexes me is that other than an article in the LA Times a while back is that there is no mention of Eric Calibet missing in our South Bay local news nor in the Hermosa Patch paper. Nothing. Given he is a resident of Hermosa Beach, a smallish community, and still works part time in LE, you'd think there would be articles and concern. The Patch relays info about petty robberies, the present issue with e bikes, missing teens, beach rescues etc and a lot of other local happenings. But a mysterious disappearance of a resident who contributes to the community through his work....nothing.

It's very common for missing folks in rural areas not to be discovered until years later.

This gent likely had very low expenses in Greece, had to pay for airfare from US (do-able), and may have had a healthy pension.

IIRC he has a French passport, not a Greek passport. Note: his name is French.

No new updates to report, but a piece in a Greek news media feed about having a specific PSA for the islands

No new updates to report, but a piece in a Greek news media feed about having a specific PSA for the islands

I assume PSA is personal safety advice?

Perhaps he's an independent contractor.
I meant that he might have been targeted by a Black Ops initiative from a hostile force. Who are happy to see a big public distraction are search on the basis that he got lost or fell hiking. And that if I thought a hostile force was after me, and would disable my phones, I would find another way to make sure my family knew where I was heading, as a starting point.

But I wouldn’t want to push this further, this is a thread about a man who is missing from his loved ones, not an episode of Homeland. It just piqued my interest. His employment, life and trips, etc, and curiously possible over-explaining his route in the village.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hwsctsch2
Back