Andrea Lyon New DP Atty

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have the time, go read the last link I just posted about how to represent these clients. She states that during the penalty phase, defending mitigating factors requires the defense attorney to bring up painful and emabarrassing information about the client and their family (similar wording...paraphrasing here!)

"A capital defender thus faces the daunting tasks of
investigating and preparing to meet the evidence against the
client in the trial, as well as investigating and preparing to
meet the aggravating evidence at a penalty phase, in addition
to locating and presenting mitigating evidence—much of
which is a matter of shame to the client and his family."

Bet CA will have a fit. Saw her shaking her head (no) in court today. Looked like she was lookin at the new lawyer.

And last link on Ms. Lyon.......this is a paper she presented on How to Represent a Capital Murder (death penalty) case.....I found it very interesting and informative, and easy to read (now I understand more about the court system!!)

Defending the Life-or-Death Case
by Andrea D. Lyon

http://www.wisspd.org/html/training/ProgMaterials/Conf2006/DDEFE.pdf

That was very interesting. I wonder if Casey will allow her into her inner most thoughts and feelings? I also wonder if Ms Lyon is aware of the fact that she will be trying to pry information from a pathological liar?

That was very interesting. I wonder if Casey will allow her into her inner most thoughts and feelings? I also wonder if Ms Lyon is aware of the fact that she will be trying to pry information from a pathological liar?

I don't think there is a chance in.... I think Casey is going to lie, lie, lie to the point that Ms. Lyon is going to be confused and going round and round in circles...

The only ingredients missing, if they get Alan on, will be Barry Sheck and F. Lee Bailey. Did F. Lee retire or die yet, I haven't heard from him in a while...I wonder if Casey has written to the Innocence Project yet, it's never too early for her to start passing her name around.

The Florida Bar disbarred F. Lee Bailey, if I recall correctly. As far as I know, he did not reapply to The Florida Bar so he's out. :)

I don't think there is a chance in.... I think Casey is going to lie, lie, lie to the point that Ms. Lyon is going to be confused and going round and round in circles...

I agree, and even though she is 19 for 19 when it comes to keeping her clients off of death row, this may be the case that will break that record. I agree with what was said on NG that maybe the Florida jury will not take to this attorney and her style. Regardless of where this trial is held the jury will still remember Casey as the mother that did not report her child missing for 31 days and then everything should fall into place from there "IMO". I really don't think the SA would of taken a chance to put the DP on the table if they didn't have some very strong factual evidence against Casey. So, dream team or not...the fact still remains that Casey did not report Caylee missing for 31 days, Casey was the last person with Caylee, and Caylee is dead. May the "Angel" RIP and justice be served. In my heart I feel it will and I pray everyday that I am right.

The only ingredients missing, if they get Alan on, will be Barry Sheck and F. Lee Bailey. Did F. Lee retire or die yet, I haven't heard from him in a while...I wonder if Casey has written to the Innocence Project yet, it's never too early for her to start passing her name around.

You forgot about Shapiro, or is he too busy with Legal Zoom?

Anyone else want Andrea L to be fantastic? I honestly do. Not only do I want any verdict Casey may receive to "stick", I want the playing field to be level.

And last link on Ms. Lyon.......this is a paper she presented on How to Represent a Capital Murder (death penalty) case.....I found it very interesting and informative, and easy to read (now I understand more about the court system!!)

Defending the Life-or-Death Case
by Andrea D. Lyon

http://www.wisspd.org/html/training/ProgMaterials/Conf2006/DDEFE.pdf

That was a great article. It really gives insight on exactly where this defense lawyer is coming from, and what she is likely to address in the case. This was interesting:

Also on your to-do list in a capital case is to decide whether
your client needs to go to trial at all. The importance of negotiation
cannot be stressed enough. If it is possible to settle your
case with a plea for life or a term of years, you should work to
do that.

She also gave very good reasoning why DP case lawyers must file motions even if they are almost certain to be overthrown.

I know I should be a good citizen and applaud that KC has the best possible defense... but I'm not there yet.

That was a great article. It really gives insight on exactly where this defense lawyer is coming from, and what she is likely to address in the case. This was interesting:

Also on your to-do list in a capital case is to decide whether
your client needs to go to trial at all. The importance of negotiation
cannot be stressed enough. If it is possible to settle your
case with a plea for life or a term of years, you should work to
do that.

She also gave very good reasoning why DP case lawyers must file motions even if they are almost certain to be overthrown.

I know I should be a good citizen and applaud that KC has the best possible defense... but I'm not there yet.

Save Orlando's taxpayers and (more importantly) Casey's life with a plea deal!!!!

I have the feeling she isn't new to all this stuff. Most anyone facing the DP is more likely than not a pathological liar. I trust she's done this enough to realize that.

snipped: Lyon says:

<<"They are complicated. They care about other people. They’ve been hurt">>

So this is her opinion of cold blooded murderers? This lawyer lives in a fantasy world that she has construed to imploy her ideals on the world..What a crock!! I'd love to introduce her to a few with some files for her to read....better yet...have them spend some time at home with her...LOL

We should take complicated caring people who kill others "off the street" permanently. Better yet...get rid of them permanently! I call it "Giving Back"
~~~~
You have my support 100%........

I'll say one thing..........

Casey's chances of avoiding the Death Penalty have just dramatically improved.

Ms. Lyon may not be able to convince the jury of Casey's innocence but she'll do a far better job than Jose at trying to convince the Jury to spare Casey's life after she's convicted.

Jose is simply ....not very "persuasive" nor is he very "personable".

In my opinion he comes across as abrasive, combative and "Whiney".

Not to mention the fact that he has no experience in these matters and this is neither the time nor the place for "on the Job Training"

If Jose were smart, or I should say if Casey were smart, she'd allow Ms.Lyon to take over as lead council & let Jose sit in the background & take notes.

All I can say is I hope AL doesn't do any of her crying in front of the jury, that she's been known to do. I really feel like a jury may feel guilty putting KC to death since she's fairly young and doesn't look like an evil killer. Her crying female defense attorney might make them feel even worse IMO..

The first thing Lyon is doing is requesting an extension. She simply doesn't have enough time to prepare....well, surprise, surprise?!!! An experienced person such as she is and has been on board for some time now...just needs many more months to prepare. JB waited as long as he could to announce her. The judge let him too...the state ask last month for him to show his hand.

This merry-go-round has to be one of the longest cases in Florida History. It is a simple case and not complicated. Well, the longer it takes, the richer the Anthonys. People who give to them are so naive. Pretty soon the state may be giving them a handful too if that congressman gets his wish.

The wheels of justice seem to be flat in this case.

All I can say is I hope AL doesn't do any of her crying in front of the jury, that she's been known to do. I really feel like a jury may feel guilty putting KC to death since she's fairly young and doesn't look like an evil killer. Her crying female defense attorney might make them feel even worse IMO..

The press has to put footage of the charmer out there crying during her cases....simple as that....The bias media we have though...I won't hold my breath.

I think after reading everything on Lyon's site and links (read her publications and awards and the sites she subscribes to) that she will be THE asset to Casey's case. She is a very upstanding lawyer and I believe after reading what is available about her that she is committed to upholding the constitutional rights of a defendant. This will help Casey's case.

I would stop short of calling her "noble" but it is a bulls eye for the defense.

If KC could only dump JB now she'd have more of a chance. With AL on the case now it will be a much more intelligently fought trial, which I will enjoy following.

(by the way, before anyone thinks I am a proponent of acquittal, let me say that I believe like nearly everyone on the planet that KC killed Caylee and should be punished to the full extent of the law...I'm just putting my two cents worth in regarding the choice of the excellent lawyer AL)

Very interested in the line of the defense story.

(sorry, I just posted this on the wrong forum)(don't be angry! :blowkiss:)

I look for the defense to add at least one more attorney to the mix before this is over. I fully expect that, before the trial begins, they will employ an appellate consultant. Do you know who the appellate consultant was for the OJ trial? Alan Dershowitz ... the same Alan Dershowitz that is reportedly writing the forward to A. Lyon's book.

Please, No! I can't understand him when he's trying to explain "Taking the Fifth" (unless I'm drinkin' a fifth, and I value sobriety too much for that!).
How am I supposed to understand his appellate reasoning?

If its true about JB and KC having a relationship, then I wonder how she will handle that one. Could this affect the outcome of her part in this case? JW......

She will be Mirandized. She'll be told that she has the right to remain silent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member