Angel Food Ministries Shutting down

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Federal officials indicted three members of the Wingo family, the founders of Angel Food Ministries, Tuesday.
Pastors Joe, Linda and Andy Wingo and business associate Harry Michaels are facing 49 counts of federal charges stemming from an FBI investigation into business practices at the now-defunct ministry that distributed low-cost food boxes nationwide.
Joe Wingo faces 105 years in prison and Linda and Andy Wingo and Michaels face 85 years. All four face millions of dollars in fines and assessment fees.
The indictment alleges wire fraud, mail fraud, attempt to commit fraud, theft from an organization receiving federal funds, interstate transportation of stolen property and tampering with a witness as well as money laundering.

more: http://waltontribune.com/news/article_711c603c-1d30-11e1-a7ba-0019bb2963f4.html

Commodity cheese! My grandmother always had those huge blocks of it in the fridge. My recollection is that it was velveeta-like and kind of gluey, but I'd love to be able to have a slice of it on one of Grandma's homemade biscuits again.

I'm sad to hear the news about Angel Food Ministries. I did look into them a couple times, but it wasn't going to work for me for a few reasons. Aldi's is great, as Cubby as pointed out. So are local farmer's markets, especially for folks who have the ability/resources to buy local/seasonal produce in bulk and then preserve (I do my bit of freezing/canning/drying, although this year it's been a little harder for me to find the time to do so).

I remember going with my grammy when I was growing up. She would get bread, cheese, eggs, butter, and peanut butter. All the staples to get ya through the week. Egg sammiches, cheese, peanut butter! You could live for weeks on that stuff.

I'm sad that a few bad apples could topple such a wonderful organization.

Mel

Good ol' Pastor Joe. If you only have remained on the right path...

[video=youtube;1OFwDhNvbVc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OFwDhNvbVc[/video]

He wants 51 for this box?

Are those french fries and chicken nuggetts? Uh, no thanks.

I checked Angel Food Ministries a few times, but most of the packages were items we'd usually never purchase.

I discovered the wonders of Aldi Grocery stores a few years back and wondered why it took me so long to start shopping there. They don't offer as much of a selection as the full grocers but they do offer a lot and I think the savings is comparible to the savings from Angel Food with a much better selection.

For those looking at alternatives at a savings this might be a place to check out. They don't take credit cards or checks, cash or debit only, but the savings is phenominal and the store brand is in many cases better than the name brand, imo.

http://www.aldi.us/index_ENU_HTML.htm

If in need check out local churches.There is one by me that has a nice pantry for anyone who needs it. I don't a few cans a week...whatever's on sale at the store Buy one, get one free. I know lots of others who donate as well. There is no questions asked..just help if you need it.

we have done angel food several times in the past and bought extra for food pantry when we have done better and could offer it to others. This is just horrible. I hope that they do re eval and keep providing the service because i do know so many that REALLY NEED IT and do use it.Its sad that a good cause has been taken and used for something bad.
Evil is everywhere just pathetic. karma will get them. 10 fold

There is another ministry that was small, but is fastly growing because of the AFM shutdown. I follow them on facebook...All people need to to is get their former AFM distribution sites to sign up. They want to take up the slack, and are not afraid to go nation wide. I am waiting for them to get to Connecticut...Wish I had a list of the former sites; I would contact all of them...

http://www.midamericafoods.com/

Angel Food was a blessing for some, useless to others. I can definitely see how the leaders got greedy, the prices that they charged were (to me) outrageous. I'm feeding a family of 7, including one that is still on formula for $250/month. I looked into Angel Food, chuckled, and went on my way. It just didn't appeal, and there was a lot of stuff that wouldn't have worked for us with the various dietary restrictions.

Some people swore they were a life saver, but I could do better with BOGO sales and clearance racks.

Angel Food was a blessing for some, useless to others. I can definitely see how the leaders got greedy, the prices that they charged were (to me) outrageous. I'm feeding a family of 7, including one that is still on formula for $250/month. I looked into Angel Food, chuckled, and went on my way. It just didn't appeal, and there was a lot of stuff that wouldn't have worked for us with the various dietary restrictions.

Some people swore they were a life saver, but I could do better with BOGO sales and clearance racks.

i think the foods and prices were geared towards folks who had never eaten beans and rice for weeks to pay the rent... we looked into angel food but it was too expensive.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back