April 15th wknd of Sleuthing

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So you are saying that the reporters are attributing things in the news as said by Det. Chappell that weren't said by him? I hope the newspaper does something about that.

Oh cripes, they are reporting not verbatim quoting.

Ok, huge conspiracy between the CPD and FBI to frame Brad Cooper.
:laughcry:

Carry on....i'm out to enjoy the beautiful day.
:seeya:

My search today doesn't and can't replicate exactly the same exact maps tiles from Cooper's computer in 2008. It is showing me how the map is from the last time the map was updated (2010?) and I'm able to see what was done. The map isn't exactly the same, the individual tiles are not exactly the same, the terrain has changed because of construction since 2008. The only way to see it is by looking at the exact files Cooper used and saw. And my understanding is that the jury saw that in court.

My search today shows me how the sequence of events went and it matched the sequence of events as the FBI described them. I have no doubt that Cooper searched his computer on Fri 7-11 from work and he scrolled and zoomed into the area where he later dumped his wife's body.

This confuses me, why is Chappell giving contradictory testimony. Either Fielding Dr according to his information was the center of a search of 27518, or it appeared to be Fielding Dr. He has to make a choice.

"It appears to be from the area of Fielding Drive," Chappell said. "It is my understanding (that’s) where Nancy Cooper's body was found."

Chappell said that Brad Cooper's computer files showed that someone searched for the ZIP code 27518 and determined, based on the latitude and longitude, that the center of that area was Fielding Drive.

http://www.wral.com/specialreports/nancycooper/story/9435025/

My search and scroll to get to Fielding Dr. matched how the fbi expert described it. The map point started at Kildare Farm Rd. Then I had to scroll to the right to see the Fielding Dr area. To see it I had to zoom in several times. There is no mistaking those actions. You don't have to search for Fielding Dr to have the map eventually display Fielding Dr. The zooming in changes the tiles just as the FBI guy said. These are sequential steps. Brad Cooper scrolled and zoomed that map right down into the area his wife's body was dumped the next day. No mistake about it.
I am puzzled as to what the FBI expert's testimony was. You said that the way he described it was googling 27518, scrolling/dragging to the right, then zooming. However, others have said that he testified that, in 2008, when you googled 27518, the center of the search result was the latitude and longitude for Fielding Dr.

These two seem contradictory. If Fielding Dr was the center, why did he need to scroll/drag?

Can anyone clarify what the testimony actually was?

CPD didn't power up the laptop. The laptop was already on and left on until they unplugged it and pulled out the battery. Det Ice is the one who did that. The laptop was on the csco network and password protected. To get on the laptop system required a ctrl alt del key press and the entry of the secure password credential. Once the laptop was unplugged and battery removed, the testimony was that it was never again powered up. The FBI got the computer and copied the hard drive.

Thanks - that makes complete sense.

One thing I was thinking about last night.....remember in testimony it came up that he did a search for a specific address on Greenstone Lane? That was noted in the defense petition too. The exact address doesn't appear to exist (178), but the street does. If you look up Greenstone Lane on google maps, it's not very far from Fielding and I believe Fielding shows up on that first screen. It is on the right. I don't know if it means anything at all (probably doesn't) but I wonder what that was all about and if defense will show that he was searching that nearby street.

Otherwise, I think it will be shown that some of the date stamps were off and suggest that if some were off, any could be off and they will show that it's possible the searching and zooming in was done on the 14th or 15th.

I really think if it the defense can't disprove this (and the zoom-in of Fielding Drive IS a smoking gun), why wouldn't he have taken the plea arrangement. That is true, he was offered a plea, right?

I missed about this Greenstone Lane search, was this within the 41 seconds he was on google?

My search today doesn't and can't replicate exactly the same exact maps tiles from Cooper's computer in 2008. It is showing me how the map is from the last time the map was updated (2010?) and I'm able to see what was done. The map isn't exactly the same, the individual tiles are not exactly the same, the terrain has changed because of construction since 2008. The only way to see it is by looking at the exact files Cooper used and saw. And my understanding is that the jury saw that in court.

My search today shows me how the sequence of events went and it matched the sequence of events as the FBI described them. I have no doubt that Cooper searched his computer on Fri 7-11 from work and he scrolled and zoomed into the area where he later dumped his wife's body.

Yes, Maddy, you have it. while there are now houses built on Brittaby Ct., as opposed to the undeveloped cul de sac in 2008, the location of the major roads has not changed, and I don't believe Brittaby Ct had a street sign then, that cul de sac also is in the same location. Therefore the manipulations would be identical.

CPD didn't power up the laptop. The laptop was already on and left on until they unplugged it and pulled out the battery. Det Ice is the one who did that. The laptop was on the csco network and password protected. To get on the laptop system required a ctrl alt del key press and the entry of the secure password credential. Once the laptop was unplugged and battery removed, the testimony was that it was never again powered up. The FBI got the computer and copied the hard drive.

Were you there because you seem pretty sure of exactly what steps were taken when. I also had asked previously about your statement about how CPD knew there was a 10 minute inactivity timeout that locked the screen. You would have to be logged in to the computer to have this information so when did CPD log into the computer? I thought maybe you knew since you made the statement.

So it seems that in 41 seconds, he was to have done the following:

1. Sign on to Google maps
2. Do two searches:
a. 27518
b. Greenstone Lane
3. Caused the geographical center of 27518 to be Fielding Dr
4. But, at the same time go to 27518 and then scroll right to find Fielding Drive althought a search on 27518 brings you to the center of your search
5. Spend one minute (60 seconds) on hovering over and zooming in on Fielding Drive allowing the computer to create temporary files - althought he was only on site for 41 seconds and allegedly did two searchs

BC did magic that day.

So it seems that in 41 seconds, he was to have done the following:

1. Sign on to Google maps
2. Do two searches:
a. 27518
b. Greenstone Lane
3. Caused the geographical center of 27518 to be Fielding Dr
4. But, at the same time go to 27518 and then scroll right to find Fielding Drive althought a search on 27518 brings you to the center of your search
5. Spend one minute (60 seconds) on hovering over and zooming in on Fielding Drive allowing the computer to create temporary files - althought he was only on site for 41 seconds and allegedly did two searchs

BC did magic that day.

Well I wouldn't include the Greenstone Ln search because I don't think we know when that search happened.

We also don't know what else was searched on google nor if the google search actually stopped at Fielding Dr as opposed to Fielding dr being an interim snapshot of a search of something else.

Okay, Here is something I've been curious about..
There is so much computer/phone information relating to this case. I am wondering if there was any questioning of the jurors, about their knowledge in this area, during jury selection. Wonder the pros vs. cons of having jurors with "techy" knowledge.
Some of our posters that have this type of knowledge seems to view this testimony with a more critical/detailed eye. As an example, I have been involved in horses most of my life....if I was on a jury that involved horses...I would sift through that testimony in a different way than the average Joe, knowing so much about training, breeding, behavior and riding. I guess it goes to Jurors using their life experiences in viewing the evidence and I am just curious if you guys think it helps the defense or pros. if a juror has computer knowledge in viewing the evidence????

I missed about this Greenstone Lane search, was this within the 41 seconds he was on google?

No. I don't believe it was related but then the whole thing was blacked out so it's hard to know. I know it was brought up when the FBI computer results were discussed.

My search and scroll to get to Fielding Dr. matched how the fbi expert described it. The map point started at Kildare Farm Rd. Then I had to scroll to the right to see the Fielding Dr area. To see it I had to zoom in several times. There is no mistaking those actions. You don't have to search for Fielding Dr to have the map eventually display Fielding Dr. The zooming in changes the tiles just as the FBI guy said. These are sequential steps. Brad Cooper scrolled and zoomed that map right down into the area his wife's body was dumped the next day. No mistake about it.

I agree you don't have to search for Fielding Dr for it to show up in the map, but if you had to scroll right then how could the geographical center of 27518 be Fielding Drive? Zooming in does cause the tiles to change, but sometimes it moves off the center also so that you have to go find it again.

I agree you don't have to search for Fielding Dr for it to show up in the map, but if you had to scroll right then how could the geographical center of 27518 be Fielding Drive? Zooming in does cause the tiles to change, but sometimes it moves off the center also so that you have to go find it again.

How is this important? Does it change the fact that BC searched Google for Fielding Drive where Nancy's body was found -- before she was killed?

So now that the google search established premeditation, I'd think that the evidence of buying drop cloth at Lowes the previous day has increases in significance/validity.

Kurtz was questioning the "how" of the search which is when the Det. gave his CYA response of "You can't do the same search now as was done in 2008" and the 27518 Zip Code changing story.

the area is more built up now and you would not get the exact same search as in 2008 is what the FBI said

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
craig21876