AR AR - Brandy Dawn Hutchins 14, Clarksville, Nov. 12 1988

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

AmyWoods

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had ever researched the murder of Brandy Dawn Hutchins. I am in no way connected to the case but came across it while searching unsolved murders in Arkansas. I have found almost no information on the case other than her obituary and a news story in the Fayettville Northwest Arkansas Times on November 14, 1988. Is states she was found by hunters and had been shot in the head once in or near a house "bearings satanic symbols". I did see a comment on Cold Case Maps site where her sister (allegedly, as I have no idea about her family since I can find no information) states it is still an open, unsolved case. It is sad to me that her family has gone this long without justice for her murder.

Fayetteville Northwest Arkansas Times Archives, Nov 14, 1988, p. 2

CAN YOU HELP: Brandy Dawn Hutchins - Cold Cases Maps

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/45043155/brandy-d-hutchins

Attachments

• Hutchins grave Stone.jpg
    Hutchins grave Stone.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 5
Wow , wonder if the crazy guy serial killer from Clarksville had anything to do with it ? seems like the time frame was close (just from memory I could be wrong )

I have never heard of a serial killer in Clarksville. I will have to look into that. Thanks!

I was wondering if anyone had ever researched the murder of Brandy Dawn Hutchins. I am in no way connected to the case but came across it while searching unsolved murders in Arkansas. I have found almost no information on the case other than her obituary and a news story in the Fayettville Northwest Arkansas Times on November 14, 1988. Is states she was found by hunters and had been shot in the head once in or near a house "bearings satanic symbols". I did see a comment on Cold Case Maps site where her sister (allegedly, as I have no idea about her family since I can find no information) states it is still an open, unsolved case. It is sad to me that her family has gone this long without justice for her murder.

Brandy D Hutchins (1974-1988) - Find A Grave...
I haven't found anything else on it either other than one blog post that mentioned a satanic ritual style killing. However, during that time in Arkansas there was a mass satanic hysteria at the time. Wasn't too long before the West Memphis 3 as well and that played a big part in them going so hard after those boys. I do not know if the Satanic ritual theory plays an actual part in this on or not. But devastating she was only 14yo at the time and nothing has been done. Also interesting below I saw mention of a serial killer in the area at that time and it is something I had never heard of. Will def be researching that as well.

I haven't found anything else on it either other than one blog post that mentioned a satanic ritual style killing. However, during that time in Arkansas there was a mass satanic hysteria at the time. Wasn't too long before the West Memphis 3 as well and that played a big part in them going so hard after those boys. I do not know if the Satanic ritual theory plays an actual part in this on or not. But devastating she was only 14yo at the time and nothing has been done. Also interesting below I saw mention of a serial killer in the area at that time and it is something I had never heard of. Will def be researching that as well.
Never heard of this case either. Wow. I may have to start a list of cases in Arkansas.

Wow , wonder if the crazy guy serial killer from Clarksville had anything to do with it ? seems like the time frame was close (just from memory I could be wrong )

Do you have any links where I could check it out? This is very intriguing as I have lived in and around the Clarksville, AR, area my entire life and, while there have certainly been murders, I have not heard of a serial killer in this area. I know there was one in Clarksville, TN, but I just tried searching for one specifically in Arkansas when I came across your comment and nothing is coming up for a serial killer. I also tried in the archives for Johnson County Graphic (newspaper printed in Clarksville).

Brandy D Hutchins (1974-1988) - Find A Grave...

Have there been any new developments in this case? I know some of the family members and they are still extremely devastated by her murder.

Brandy was my cousin. I do not believe there was serial killer in Clarksville, AR. I have lived here all my life. I also do not believe the murder was part of a satanic ritual. We the family have a few names floating around around but it’s getting the evidence to prove it. There is someone or someone’s out there who know the truth. We just hope they will come clean and not carry their secret to the grave.

The serial killer was not in Clarksville but Dover, AR. The man's name was Ronald Gene Simmons. He killed his whole family has they came home during the Christmas holidays. He also killed some others afterwards. His trial was held in Clarksville. He was excuted. He had nothing to do with Brandy. Neither did any devil worshipping. Brandy's case had no effects on the Memphis 3 which happened much later. Rock was very much rocking and the heavy metals bands were leaving the garages guys. This is Arkansas mind you small small town Arkansas. It was more rebellious a little and whole lot of shock and awe. Just teenage stuff. How would I know I was ten when Brandy was taken from this earth. I remember her like yesterday. You can follow her case on facebook Log in or sign up to view
There is also a couple of podcasts on YouTube. Are yall good with researching? As well as sharing. Brandy's dad is still alive but he is facing some health issues is my understanding. I also remember him as a kid after Brandy. Well you can imagine. This case isn't all black and white. There are new laws enacted, a corrupt medical examiner that said to cook up some things for the Clinton's, DNA, and I don't know yet I have just started researching but the boyfriend involved is a 2nd case with another girlfriend.
Check in with fb her cousin and family run the page and they can better yell you then me. Personally I would love to find the person that did this. Like her cousin on here said SOMEONE KNOWS SOMETHING!!! The person that did this... if you are reading this aren't you tired? Over thirty years is a long time to carry the weight of taking someone like Brandy. You can't even think about her without seeing her smile. I can't I still see her walking towards me right in front of the Ford Motel. It's just now I see that memory and know I would never get another one of her hugs. You hold answers that doesn't just bring her family peace but you peace as well. No matter what one believes we go somewhere after here and it's the life we live that determines how the what next turns out.

Cellar

This 1988 photo of Johnson County Deputy Wes Kendrick ran in the Arkansas Gazette on Nov. 15. It shows the cellar where the body of 14-year-old Brandy Dawn Hutchins was found

Her father, now 78 and living in Lamar, said he thinks about her daily.

“She wouldn’t mind nobody,” he said. “She’d just go off and stay gone for two or three days. And I wouldn’t know where she was at. It’s been 34 years. I’ve been thinking about it for 34 years.”

Hutchins was found with a positive pregnancy test in an abandoned home. The inside of the home had been vandalized with a pentagram, a symbol attributed to Satanism at the time, “666” and racist tags such as KKK.

It was 1988, the height of the Satanic Panic, and rumors and media headlines took off from there.

Satanic Panic​

The Satanic Panic was a moral trend in the 1980s that spread across the United State on the back of over 12,000 unsubstantiated cases of Satanic ritual abuse.

Parents wrung their hands over satanic influences in media, such as Dungeons & Dragons, films, music and comic books, and worried over secretive occult rituals allegedly occurring just out of sight in their hometowns.

Hutchins, found slain amid the symbols, along with the word REDRUM – murder spelled backward – was enough to set off panic in Johnson County.

Attachments

• 1673950059864.png
    1673950059864.png
    73 bytes · Views: 3

A week after her birthday in November 1988, Brandy was dropped off in Coal Hill, where she said her friends were throwing her a party. The family believes a party never happened.

"I can't find anybody that will vouch that there was a party. I think she was set up. Because there was a note, like a post-it note that said, Meet me at the old house."

Millard tells us investigators did a handwriting analysis on the note but it didn't show any results or point to a suspect.

Shortly after the murder, the abandoned house where Brandy's body was found was lit on fire and destroyed.

….

After years of searching for answers on social media, Millard changed the name of the Facebook page to "Brandy Hutchins: The Disposable Child."

"I thought, 'Nobody seems to care. It's like she was just thrown aside.' So I changed the name of the Facebook page to Brandy Hutchins, the Disposable Child. Because that's just ... what it feels like to me."

As the 35th anniversary of Brandy's murder passes, Millard hopes the Facebook page will lead to an arrest, giving the family closure and justice for Brandy.

AR State Police Cold Case

More info at link above; lengthy article

King told The Associated Press that Hutchins wasn’t pregnant but her false pregnancy test may have still contributed to her death.

According to an article, Hutchins’ father, Jerry, said he drove his daughter to the abandoned house.
He allegedly said she told him she had never been there before, but that she was going to attend a birthday party for her and her boyfriend’s sister. She had just turned 14 four days prior.

According to the article, Brandy told her father she was pregnant and planned to tell her 17-year-old boyfriend at the party. She also told him the two were planning to get married but needed to drive to Iowa to get her mother to sign papers first.

….

It is believed the satanic connection to the case to be overstated.

….

“There were so many leads to follow,” he said.
On top of that, King said one of Brandy’s family members misremembered the date for a meal she’d had with the girl shortly before her death, causing the investigation to mistakenly rule out suspects based on timing.

“The medical examiner was giving us a day of death that did not correspond with this meal she had with a family member,” he said. “We had interviewed all these people who might have done it, but they all had alibis for the original date we had.

A few months later, they [the family member] said they thought they may have had the date wrong. So we had to go back and get new statements.”

Further complicating things, King said the prosecutor at the time insisted on having the murder weapon before pressing charges on any suspect.

I felt we had enough evidence to at least charge a couple people, but the prosecutor wanted the murder weapon, which we never could find,” he said. “We had bullet samples, but back then they didn’t have DNA like they have now. A medical examiner did scrape under her nails, but they tell me they haven’t been able to get anything off of it.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nordlander
Back