AR - Bryan Malinowski, 53, airport executive, involved in home shootout with ATF during warrant service - Little Rock, 19 Mar 2024

ifindedout

Reaction score
According to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, agents were attempting to serve a search warrant at a home in the 100 block of Durance Court just after 6 a.m.

Authorities said someone inside the home, who agents said was the subject of the investigation, fired gunshots at the ATF agents, who returned fire.

Federal officials said one ATF agent was shot in the exchange and suffered a non-life-threatening wound. The agent was taken to a local hospital.

The agents said they hit the shooter, identified by Arkansas State Police officials as 53-year-old Bryan Malinowski. ASP officials said Malinowski was treated by medical personnel at the scene before being taken to a nearby hospital. As of 12:30 p.m. his condition was not known.

Snipped for focus:
"A top executive at the Bill and Hillary Clinton National Airport is brain dead and not likely to survive more than a day after a gunfight with federal agents as they executed a search warrant, his brother claimed.

The airport executive is reportedly an avid collector of guns, weapons and coins and lived in an upper-middle-class neighborhood making $253,000 a year as the top brass at the joint civil-military airport.

Neighbors of Malinowski reported watching guns and ammunition being taken from the Durance Court home before being loaded onto a trailer as firefighters brought in crowbars and circular saws to cut metal inside the residence,
according to KARK."

:(

The airport executive is reportedly an avid collector of guns, weapons and coins

Neighbors of Malinowski reported watching guns and ammunition being taken from the Durance Court home...
Wow, I wonder what kind of violations led to the arrest warrant?

Arkansas is not exactly a gun control type state.

Contrary to the "Gestapo Agents" propaganda promulgated by some, the ATF actually lets alot of "grey area" weapons violations go- simply to avoid shoot outs.

For example, creativity regarding what constitutes "occasional sales" that are thus considered "private sales" sans the need for de facto registration / background checks is tolerated- unless the creativity in question is reaching truly commercial levels.

Likewise, I would not be surprised if purchasing, or even limited selling of "legacy" bump stocks, "ghost gun" kits and seer pin modification kits (allows conversion to near automatic fire) is also tolerated so long as it is not done blatantly or repeatedly.

In short, my guess is that one needs to try pretty hard to get the ATF actively involved....

Malinowski's family says he is brain dead from being shot in the head.

To me, the comments from his brother are interesting in that he doesn't seem to deny the ATF coming after his brother, he just takes issue with how they stormed the house. He says they should have used flash bangs or arrested him as he drove to work.

MOO.

Last edited:
To me, the comments from his brother are interesting in that he doesn't seem to deny the ATF coming after his brother, he just takes issue with how they stormed the house.
The brother may have a point.

Arresting anybody at home would seem to be more inherently dangerous than arresting somebody in an environment that they do not fully control.

As you stated, a traffic stop might of been better- but perhaps they feared he would make an ultra high speed "run for it"? His work might of also been another good choice. Say, the break room where he cannot grab something from his desk?

Last edited:
Malinowski has died.
A man who once called the Lehigh Valley home, and held a leadership position at Lehigh Valley International Airport, has died after police say he was involved in a shootout with federal agents.

[...]

"With a heavy heart, we announce the passing of our executive director Bryan Malinowski. Bryan was a 16-year employee of the airport," according to Bill Walker, chair of the Little Rock Municipal Airport Commission.

Arresting anybody at home would seem to be more inherently dangerous than arresting somebody in an environment that they do not fully control.

As you stated, a traffic stop might of been better- but perhaps they feared he would make an ultra high speed "run for it"? His work might of also been another good choice. Say, the break room where he cannot grab something from his desk?

are they allowed to carry weapons there? wouldn't that put the public or his co-workers at risk?

Wow, I wonder what kind of violations led to the arrest warrant?

Arkansas is not exactly a gun control type state.

Contrary to the "Gestapo Agents" propaganda promulgated by some, the ATF actually lets alot of "grey area" weapons violations go- simply to avoid shoot outs.

For example, creativity regarding what constitutes "occasional sales" that are thus considered "private sales" sans the need for de facto registration / background checks is tolerated- unless the creativity in question is reaching truly commercial levels.

Likewise, I would not be surprised if purchasing, or even limited selling of "legacy" bump stocks, "ghost gun" kits and seer pin modification kits (allows conversion to near automatic fire) is also tolerated so long as it is not done blatantly or repeatedly.

In short, my guess is that one needs to try pretty hard to get the ATF actively involved....
I agree.
Or, it could be related to CSAM. Has the warrant been made public yet? They might have more people to bust.
I believe the articles I read said the police needed metal cutters to get access to a safe inside the house. Maybe a gun safe?
But why shoot at the police? Just because the raid/arrest was a surprise? I wonder if Malinowski was under the influence and had altered thinking. Or if he was really really desperate to not get arrested and chose suicide by cop (child abusers don't fare well in jail).

edit: I'm reconsidering CSAM, the FBI would have been there and not ATF.

Last edited:

If he was using the airport to transport guns, maybe they wanted to prevent him from getting there that morning?

This article is interesting, speaks to the state of mind of Malinowski (he falsely claimed to be a lawyer when arguing with his neighbor).

His brother believes Bryan never fired the guns he collected.

Yeah, I wonder, especially with the ATF, did this guy have a lot of guns? If so, don't you think he might try to protect himself/his family/his property when people bust in at 6am? I guess all that was taken into account but still. Seems dangerous & likely to escalate, imo.

Seriously wondering what this guy was up to that resulted in an ATF raid like this.

An announcement by the airport where BM was executive director.

The family said they had a chance to see the still yet to be released affidavit in the case, noting that they were concerned with its allegations but contending that it still would not justify a morning raid.

“At worst, Bryan Malinowski, a gun owner and gun enthusiast, stood accused of making private firearm sales to a person who may not have been legally entitled to purchase the guns,” the family claimed in the statement.

Yeah, I wonder, especially with the ATF, did this guy have a lot of guns? If so, don't you think he might try to protect himself/his family/his property when people bust in at 6am? I guess all that was taken into account but still. Seems dangerous & likely to escalate, imo.

Seriously wondering what this guy was up to that resulted in an ATF raid like this.
But if you do a raid early in the morning when he’s likely asleep or surprised, there’s less room for random people to be injured on the road, in a parking lot etc.

But if you do a raid early in the morning when he’s likely asleep or surprised, there’s less room for random people to be injured on the road, in a parking lot etc.

Agree. I had previously quoted his brother as saying the ATF should have stopped him on the way to work, etc.

I guess I was just thinking how hard it must be for the ATF especially when raiding a location for the "F" (firearms) part of their name. I would assume most of the time that those folks who would be a target of that type of raid would probably have a lot of firearms, know how to use them, & may indeed use them. (As was the case here.) MOO.

are they allowed to carry weapons there? wouldn't that put the public or his co-workers at risk?
That could of been a consideration.

In regards to weapons at the airport, I suspect the answer maybe uhmmm.... "complex":

"No" by regulation- but the director is probably not searched very often. And.... some people are just not good at following the same rules that they expect others to follow.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tattooed_crybaby22
Back