AR - Fully-Armed Sheriffs Remove 7 Homeschool Children from 'Prepper' Family

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No the state does not have the resources to provide tutors- states are lucky to have resources to house kids in the system.

I am very sure that another very religious "father" felt the same persecution and had the same complaints about his children being indoctrinated and losing his control on their "training" Yeah I'm pretty sure Warren Jeff's had the same objections..

Every school district has tutors for children who are unable to attend school because of illness. The State is not now educating the Stanley children, they have been placed in public schools in Hot Springs.

OT- Actually there is another public residential high school in hot springs that is absolutely awesome, Hot springs is home to the arkansas school for math, science and the arts (ASMSA). It is ranked 12th in the nation for STEM high schools. this doesn't really have anything to do with this case, as far as I know, just a shameless plug for one of the things my state has done really well :)

I'm familiar with that school. It is part of the University of Arkansas system. iirc, you have to apply for admission so it is doubtful CPS considered it an option for the older Stanley kids.

Every school district has tutors for children who are unable to attend school because of illness. The State is not now educating the Stanley children, they have been placed in public schools in Hot Springs.
BBM. Uh, no. Not in my personal experience. Just where are you getting this information???
And why is having a tutor any better than public school??? You're still not having the mom & dad teach.

Good point LinasK. State paid tutors/educators would be giving the Stanley children state education, whether in a public school building or in their foster settings. So if the Stanley parents are objecting to the children being enrolled in and attending public school, how then would state provided tutors address those objections?

I'm sorry if I didn't use good judgement in my post MyBelle. I don't want to be rude or come across as being rude to anyone. I will try and use more caution in the future.

The reason I have brought up the sermons, is because they were very enlightening to me on what goes on behind closed doors. I don't know what curriculum the family uses to home school, but part of their home schooling consists of these daily "sermons" by the father.

HS interprets the bible according to his own beliefs. He is the preacher in his own home. His home is his church and his congregation consists of his wife and children. I don't for a minute believe that his beliefs are commonly held by Southern Baptists.

My mother was a Southern Baptist as well as her family. Her family lived in Louisiana. I never once heard anything about chastening. There wasn't physical punishment in the family. My grandfathers second wife after my grandmother passed away, was a licensed nurse. There were also other licensed heath professionals in the family. When someone became ill, they sought medical treatment. I never once heard that illness is due to sin and if you were ill it was because you didn't pray hard enough or that a person isn't praying hard enough or in the right way, or they wouldn't be sick and that they just need to pray harder and the illness will be cured.

I never once heard preaching that all these things in the outside world are evil. There wasn't preaching in the home or any church that I attended, that came anywhere close to the paranoia that HS draws from his interpretation of the bible.

There is a difference between religious freedom and interpreting the Bible in ways that may be harmful to the health and well being of others. I don't consider a individual pulling out verses in the Bible, interpreting those verses in their own way to justify harmful actions as something that would fall under freedom of religion.

As children get older, they become more wise and they will call their parents out "if" their behavior is not acceptable. If there are multiple children speaking out as they get older, then I think it is a tad bit more than one making up allegations, because they didn't get their way.

HS states in his "sermons" that God talks to him and tells him what to do. He states that he follows God's word (his interpretation of God's word) and no one elses. "If" there is physical and/or emotional abuse in the home, I don't know how well this is going to turn out, if HS adheres to his beliefs that God is telling him what to do and every one that says different is wrong or evil.

The father is a retired Southern Baptist minister. I'm familiar with his beliefs because I grew up in the South and evangelism was what they do. I don't share those beliefs, especially about gays or women being subordinate so I steer clear. This case is not supposed to be about religion. It is supposed to be about physical child abuse that warrants removal of children from their home.

The term, "chasten" and the fundamental Christian use of it isn't exactly new. Once a child reaches adulthood, they can choose whatever they want to believe.

JMO

Good point LinasK. State paid tutors/educators would be giving the Stanley children state education, whether in a public school building or in their foster settings. So if the Stanley parents are objecting to the children being enrolled in and attending public school, how then would state provided tutors address those objections?

I'm thinking the real underlying objection is to them being around other children of different belief systems and lifestyles in public schools that might actually open up their children's eyes and make them think for themselves, and then they'd challenge their parents belief systems. If you keep them insulated from the world, they'll never know anything is wrong with it and that there are other ways to be.

BBM. Uh, no. Not in my personal experience. Just where are you getting this information???
And why is having a tutor any better than public school??? You're still not having the mom & dad teach.

Arkansas Statute. The children's school was in their home and foster care is supposed to provide continuity of education. Their books and lesson plans should be portable. These children were placed in a public school classroom before the court hearing. Younger children thrust into a classroom mid-year can be emotionally traumatized.The Stanley children have never attended school. They're used to their brothers and sisters being in the classroom with them. Since this started, nobody seems to be caring about the emotional toll this is taking on the children.

Pursuant to Ark. Code Ann. § 9-28-113, every school district must identify a foster care liaison

The statute provides that individuals who are directly involved in the care, custody and education of foster children work together to ensure the continuity of education services so that foster children:

remain in their schools of current enrollment whenever possible,

are moved to new schools in a timely manner when it is determined to be necessary, appropriate, and in their best interests, by the court.

http://www.arkansased.org/divisions/learning-services/foster-care-liaison

In fact, it is a bit murky what happened at the scene. Was there a physician, or an EMT? I have read both. What were they looking for. These are kids with no medical history. An EMT can't declare someone healthy, and given the circumstances I doubt that a physician would be prepared to either.

I fully believe that Hal Stanley is truthful in recounting what he recalls he was told by various personnel. But I doubt that that they were intending to give a full blow by blow of what they were looking for or finding. The Stanleys have alluded to two areas of concern that relate to physical abuse. One is the chemical cure-all. The off-label uses of it are established as being harmful to humans. They say they weren't giving it to the children. Maybe so. But the Court has so far accepted as credible testimony regarding physical abuse from some family member. The other area of concern is corporal punishment. Had you listened to some of Hal's sermons--delivered to his children--you would realize that he believes that "chastening" with a rod is required to be dealt out by a father regularly to his children in order to properly train them. Depending on what allegations have been made, a physical exam may require x-rays and various other diagnostics.

This family is facing serious allegations. Physical abuse is very traumatic, and confusing for children. These accusations need to be taken seriously.

Where do you get that an EMT examined the children? An EMT is not qualified to make any examination of the children. They are technicians trained in emergency care only. The search warrant was for a mineral supplement. That information came from the search warrant, not from the father.

JMO

Sounds like dad is a religious zealout loonie to me..............I hope these kids get a chance of having some form of a more "normal" existence........otherwise they will become, like many in the past of similar upbringings, psychologist dream patients!>

After all this time the state has had custody of these children, surely each child has been seen by one or more doctors, had all X-rays and tests to determine any old damages, and their health concerns are documented. Perhaps one delay is waiting on toxicology tests to see what their blood shows? Would MMS show up in a blood test? So the knowledge of the children's health should be answered. Therefore, I would think this issue may be one that can be dropped if nothing has turned up.

Education wise, the schools have had time to evaluate the children as to their performance on grade level. Another issue that should have been answered.

Behavior is more than likely better than most foster children. It sounds like they have been taught to walk a straight line at home. Away from home under these conditions, one or two may enjoy not being under the pressure and be lively like a child.

Just addressing the main issues, what is left beside the parents treatment of the children? My belief is the mother is blind sided by her older abusive husband. Her husband is the leader of the house and family, as the Bible says, and she follows. IMO

Now for the question as to WHY has this family been selected for government intervention when there are thousands of children in this state that live with drug or alcohol addicted people, violent people, little if any food, filthy homes, wear dirty clothes, seldom go to school, and are horribly abused? CPS files are over flowing with cases that are ignored.

Abuse is wrong! In the other areas, it appears this family has it together. Is there anyway of taking the father away as it appears he is the abuser? At his age, it will be almost impossible to change his mind on the way he believes. IMO

BBM. What he "appears" to be has to be backed by actual evidence his children are endangered by his presence. The mother has not made any allegation her husband is abusive to her or the children. The Southern Baptist Convention takes the position that wives are subordinate. If she wasn't in agreement, I think she would have bailed out eight kids ago.

JMO

Arkansas Statute. The children's school was in their home and foster care is supposed to provide continuity of education. Their books and lesson plans should be portable. These children were placed in a public school classroom before the court hearing. Younger children thrust into a classroom mid-year can be emotionally traumatized.The Stanley children have never attended school. They're used to their brothers and sisters being in the classroom with them. Since this started, nobody seems to be caring about the emotional toll this is taking on the children.

Pursuant to Ark. Code Ann. § 9-28-113, every school district must identify a foster care liaison

The statute provides that individuals who are directly involved in the care, custody and education of foster children work together to ensure the continuity of education services so that foster children:

remain in their schools of current enrollment whenever possible,

are moved to new schools in a timely manner when it is determined to be necessary, appropriate, and in their best interests, by the court.

http://www.arkansased.org/divisions/learning-services/foster-care-liaison
Okay, but you still didn't answer my question. You stated that every school district has tutors for children in case of illness. I've never run into that in my whole life in California. Is this an Arkansas thing???
And why would a tutor be preferable to the Stanley parents over public school? They're presumably going to teach the same public school curriculum, just without the influence of other children from different cultures and backgrounds.

Sounds like dad is a religious zealout loonie to me..............I hope these kids get a chance of having some form of a more "normal" existence........otherwise they will become, like many in the past of similar upbringings, psychologist dream patients!>

when you live in a nation that features religious zealots on reality television as entertainment, it is no wonder psychologists have such a booming business.

JMO

Is the homeschool program similar to the Core program that all US elementary schools are supposed to be using (as I understand)?

I'm sure you know that statute is to prevent foster children from being switched into a different school every-time they switch foster homes. It has nothing to do with homeschooling.

I know for a fact that my local schools have no such tutors in public school, if the children are medically unable to actually attend school they are of course excused, and the parents are free to hire a tutor, the schools districts will however provide for speech, physical and occupational therapy for these children. I know of two different kids near me that are battling cancer and have followed their parents stories regarding all of these issues regarding their kids IEPs on Facebook. The focus is on getting the kids healthy enough to return to the classroom asap.

Nope, in arkansas homeschool parents pretty much have complete freedom as to which, if any, curriculum is used.

I know for a fact that my local schools have no such tutors in public school, if the children are medically unable to actually attend school they are of course excused, and the parents are free to hire a tutor, the schools districts will however provide for speech, physical and occupational therapy for these children. I know of two different kids near me that are battling cancer and have followed their parents stories regarding all of these issues regarding their kids IEPs on Facebook. The focus is on getting the kids healthy enough to return to the classroom asap.

I've never heard of a district that didn't have substitute teachers on call. wow.

I've never heard of a district that didn't have substitute teachers on call. wow.

A substitute teacher in a public school classroom is not the same thing as a school district hiring out private tutors for children in the home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay