AR - Fully-Armed Sheriffs Remove 7 Homeschool Children from 'Prepper' Family

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A substitute teacher in a public school classroom is not the same thing as a school district hiring out private tutors for children in the home.

I never said a school district would hire a private tutor. Substitute teachers are on an as needed basis.

A substitute teacher in a public school classroom is not the same thing as a school district hiring out private tutors for children in the home.
Of the two kids I know of, one parent chose to homeschool her child while he received chemo and was unable to attend school, and he was back and forth between home school and traditional classroom instruction for several years with each round of treaent. The other child was too ill to have benefitted from educational services for quite a while and his mother researched all the local districts and then moved her family to the district that would be able to help her chil the most when he returned to school, hat particular child is having to learn how to walk, talk, eat, everything all over again bc of the damage the particular type of cancer and the treatment to save his life did.

Every school district has tutors for children who are unable to attend school because of illness. The State is not now educating the Stanley children, they have been placed in public schools in Hot Springs.

I never said a school district would hire a private tutor. Substitute teachers are on an as needed basis.
Your original quote implies that the state should be providing tutors for the Stanley children in place of public school. That this would be a better option. And I've asked you twice now why that is. It still wouldn't be Mr. & Mrs. Stanley teaching them. So is the only reason it's better because they'd still be isolated from the influences of other children from different values and cultures in public school???

I have never heard of anything like this. Substitute teachers here are only used if the regular teacher calls in sick or is out on some type of leave... Our substitutes have to pass a test and that is relatively new, most are not licensed teachers and I'm pretty sure they don't even have to have a degree of any sort...our districts do use licensed subs if the leave is going to be long such as if the regular teacher is out on maternity leave etc..

Every school district has tutors for children who are unable to attend school because of illness. The State is not now educating the Stanley children, they have been placed in public schools in Hot Springs.

In my district, we would hire a tutor specifically for an individual child based on demonstrated critera-- the board would approve the hiring and funding for that position separately from the hiring of substitutes or regular teachers. Probably what would happen is a part time position teacher who is already hired, would have some hours added to the contract. That would be the cheapest option.

In my area, most of the substitutes would not be eligible to teach a child at home, because most are not licensed teachers. All that is required for substitutes in my area is a bachelor's degree in any subject-- a teaching license isn't required until a certain point of filling in as a long term sub.

I don't know of any districts that have a "ready reserve" of tutors on staff, sitting around, waiting for work.

Even so, all a district is required to do by law is provide access to adequate education-- not the educational method or program "desired" by the parents. Even for children with disabilities on IEPs, districts are not required to provide "the best" program available, or even the program the parents WANT. All they are required to provide is FAPE-- (free and appropriate public education), which is the source of a lot of angst between parents of special education students and school districts. The district just has to show that what they are providing is adequate or appropriate. Only when there is a complaint and hearings that whatever the school can provide is NOT adequate, will districts be forced to pay for other schools or different programs for individual students.

IMO, the Stanley kids are probably doing just fine academically and socially in public school. I'm sure the teachers and counselors know of their situation, and are looking out for them, trying to help them adjust and fit in. Most teachers are tremendously compassionate people, IMO, and these are kids in a difficult situation.

IMO it is laughably easy for the homeschoolers to get an exemption for those tests. I know several homeschooling families and I don't know a single one that takes these tests...

And if your kids have no birth certificates, how would a district or the state even know they exist? Would be quite easy to fly under the radar. Sad, IMO, and puts the kids entire future at risk.

Thanks for that, IAMME. Those are VERY lenient, compared to requirements in my state.

That was the point I was trying to make. I know several homeschooling parents, some who are doing it well for great reasons and some... Not so much... I actually know a family who moved here from another state after an investigation prompted by public school teachers reporting them for abuse, so they packed their kids up, left all their belongings, live off grid, and homeschool their children now, according to family members they were most definately guilty of the abuse they were accused of and they chose arkansas bc of the leniency of our homeschool laws.
And I know at least two families who homeschool bc their children with disabilities can get a better education from them...
Then I know of a young man who was "homeschooled" bc he basically dropped out of high school and to avoid prosecution for truancy his parents filed an intent to homeschool and an exemption for the testing... actually I know TWO young men who went that route, also if they drop out but are "homeschooled" they get to keep their drivers license....

Where do you get that an EMT examined the children? An EMT is not qualified to make any examination of the children. They are technicians trained in emergency care only. The search warrant was for a mineral supplement. That information came from the search warrant, not from the father.

JMO

Have you seen the search warrant. Mms is not a mineral supplement. It's on-label use has to do with water purification. However it is sold primarily for off-label cures for which there is no evidence--except that of physical harm.

There was a post in Bring the Stanley Kids Home. I am not posting the text Michelle wrote but the link to pictures which she thinks will show us who the Stanleys are.

https://plus.google.com/photos/1008...s/6116022826234956769?authkey=CKW41a2mm8DNowE

Coming to this story late. Is Michelle that man's 1st & only wife?

Full disclosure: I home-schooled for a few years and then transferred my children to a small private Southern Baptist academy. Pulled them all out when the headmaster called me in for a parent conference in which he spent 3 hours reaming me out for being a bad wife (huh?) and mother to my straight A student, no disciplinary referrals children, and for attending the "wrong" church.

The Stanley's do have every right to be upset the children are in public school. The state does have the resources to provide a tutor for the children. After all, one person has been their teacher and if two children are already in college, she's done something right.

JMO

What?

Have you looked at your local district's funding for education over the past 7 years? When the real estate market collapsed, so did property values and property taxes - which is how most states pay for their school systems.

If there is an Arkansas statute or local school district policy stating that taxpayers must provide private instruction for certain students in foster care, please share a link to that information. I am unaware of anything remotely like that.

Coming to this story late. Is Michelle that man's 1st & only wife?

Respectfully snipped for focus.

The family website says HS has 5 children that are not born to Michelle.

From the family website, BBM:

To further inform, this baby will be Mom’s 9th and Dad’s 14th child. (Dad has five older ones that are grown).

https://stanleyfamily.wordpress.com/a/

ETA: I have to notice that the "5 older ones that are grown" aren't mentioned in any other interviews or family posts, or in family pics. Nor is the mother of any of those 5 ever mentioned. I wonder why? Family seems to be pretty central to HS, by his own words. Maybe his first wife passed away? Or not? He is in his 70's, so it's possible there was another wife who could have passed away.

Have you seen the search warrant. Mms is not a mineral supplement. It's on-label use has to do with water purification. However it is sold primarily for off-label cures for which there is no evidence--except that of physical harm.

Off label cure for what? The entire family looks pretty darn healthy in the photos. Hal Stanley said he used it to purify water in his garden. Golly, imagine that! He actually knows what it is and used it for the purpose of purifying water.

Apparently The Washington Post hasn't gotten the memo it is neither mineral or supplement because they called it a mineral supplement. I'm pretty sure salt is a mineral and so is chlorite.

Seven children may have been taken from their ‘prepper’ parents over dangerous ‘miracle’ supplement MMS

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ts-over-the-dangerous-miracle-supplement-mms/

http://www.minerals.net/mineral/chlorite.aspx

What?

Have you looked at your local district's funding for education over the past 7 years? When the real estate market collapsed, so did property values and property taxes - which is how most states pay for their school systems.

If there is an Arkansas statute or local school district policy stating that taxpayers must provide private instruction for certain students in foster care, please share a link to that information. I am unaware of anything remotely like that.

I never suggested the state would provide private tutors. I also know that the real estate collapse had nothing to do with lowering property taxes. Per pupil spending continues to go up. In Hot Springs, it is much higher than the state average. I posted the link yesterday.

JMO

I never suggested the state would provide private tutors. I also know that the real estate collapse had nothing to do with lowering property taxes. Per pupil spending continues to go up. In Hot Springs, it is much higher than the state average. I posted the link yesterday.

JMO

That may be because ASMSA is in hot springs, and also a state funded public school, and since its a residential school, and has a brand new res-life bldgl I'm sure the cost per student is much higher than your average district....I'm not sure about that but it does make sense... At least to me.

IMO it is laughably easy for the homeschoolers to get an exemption for those tests. I know several homeschooling families and I don't know a single one that takes these tests...

The Stanleys have two children who have gone on to college so apparently they are taking the necessary tests.

REQUEST FOR TEST MODIFICATION OR
EXEMPTION:

A request for test modifications or exemption must be submitted in writing to the Home School Testing Office at least three weeks prior to the test date. A copy of the child’s IEP or other acceptable documentation from a physician must be included with the request.

arkedu.state.ar.us/commemos/attachments/FACT_SHEET.doc

That may be because ASMSA is in hot springs, and also a state funded public school, and since its a residential school, and has a brand new respite bldgl I'm sure the cost per student is much higher than your average district....I'm not sure about that but it does make sense... At least to me.

That school is not part of the Hot Springs school district. It is part of the University of Arkansas system.

The Stanleys have two children who have gone on to college so apparently they are taking the necessary tests.

REQUEST FOR TEST MODIFICATION OR
EXEMPTION:

A request for test modifications or exemption must be submitted in writing to the Home School Testing Office at least three weeks prior to the test date. A copy of the child’s IEP or other acceptable documentation from a physician must be included with the request.

arkedu.state.ar.us/commemos/attachments/FACT_SHEET.doc

They do not need those tests for college admission. A college would require them to obtain their GED and take the ACT or SAT.

I'm thinking the real underlying objection is to them being around other children of different belief systems and lifestyles in public schools that might actually open up their children's eyes and make them think for themselves, and then they'd challenge their parents belief systems. If you keep them insulated from the world, they'll never know anything is wrong with it and that there are other ways to be.

That's precisely it. They don't want their kids exposed to the outside world. That's how you control thought.

Okay, but you still didn't answer my question. You stated that every school district has tutors for children in case of illness. I've never run into that in my whole life in California. Is this an Arkansas thing???
And why would a tutor be preferable to the Stanley parents over public school? They're presumably going to teach the same public school curriculum, just without the influence of other children from different cultures and backgrounds.

Are we talking about home/hospital instruction for sick kids? Because most districts around the country provide that if need be (although some hospitals provide it themselves as well).

But these kids aren't sick so that kind instruction wouldn't be offered to them.

Homeschooling is a choice, not a special need and the regulations about keeping kids in their own schools if possible is about not making them leave even their schools and classmates when removed form their homes. Clearly, when their school is at home, that regulation cannot apply.

Public school may indeed be scary to these kids who've been likely told how dangerous the outside world is. But it is hard not to upset kids removed from their homes. I remember a little girl who clutched onto my leg and begged for her mother at a local children's home I was visiting. She has been horribly abused and neglected. She still wanted her mom. It's hard to avoid pain for these kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay