GUILTY AR - Isaiah Torres, 6, raped, beaten to death, Bella Vista, 29 March 2015 *parents charged*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
WTAF did I just read? savagery! I never heard of this case until now. unimaginable :*( rest in peace little buddy.

he looks so much like my 9 year old step son did at that age :*(

vile!!!

Benton County judge delays murder trial in boy's death

Mauricio Alejandro Torres is set to be retried beginning Feb. 18 in his son's death, which a medical examiner said resulted from him being sodomized with a stick.

Torres argued in his appeal the judge should have ruled the state failed to prove its case for the death sentence. The state Supreme Court agreed, saying prosecutors must prove an element of rape occurred in Arkansas if the rape is a required element to support the death penalty.

The court said, because the abuse happened in Missouri, rape cannot be the aggravating factor for a death penalty.

Nathan Smith, Benton County's prosecutor amended the capital murder charge under the theory Torres knowingly killed a child. Torres also will be retried on the first-degree battery charge.

A northwest Arkansas judge says at least 100 potential jurors will be called for the retrial of a man charged with killing his 6-year-old son by sexually assaulting him with a stick. Court records first reported by the Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette show Benton County Circuit Judge Brad Karren on Friday said a list of 250 potential jurors will be chosen with 100 told to appear Feb. 18 for possible selection for the trial of 50-year-old Mauricio Torres for the 2015 death of Isaiah Torres.
Juror call set for retrial of Arkansas man convicted in son's death

Mauricio Torres' stepson jumps out of witness stand, tries to attack him

Torres was found guilty Wednesday of murdering his 6-year-old son Isaiah Torres. Thursday, the jury began hearing testimony in the sentencing phase of the trial.

The prosecution called Quinton Martin, age 24, a stepson of Mauricio Torres, to the stand. He wore shackles on his arms and legs.

Martin testified about physical abuse Torres inflicted upon him as a child.

When a prosecuting attorney asked Martin a question about sexual abuse, Martin jumped out of the witness stand and over the court reporter.

Martin then ran 15 to 20 feet toward the table where Torres and his attorneys sat. They flipped the table up on its side to stop Martin.

Law enforcement inside the courtroom got to Martin and held him down, crying and screaming.

Stumbled upon this case...this will haunt me for a while. I just cannot understand how someone could do something that evil to an innocent child. It’s absolutely disgusting. I’m not one to generally agree with the death penalty...but in this case...RIP sweet little Isaiah. Off to sneak a forehead kiss to my sleeping babes.

Responses from both the defense attorney and the Prosecutor. There will be a hearing on March 19th to decide whether the mistrial is for just the sentencing phase or the guilt phase as well.

Witness tries to attack and mistrial declared in Torres trial

Karren said there's no conceivable way for the jury to disregard the fear and passion they witnessed and experienced during the incident.

Karren decided Torres will get a new trial but agreed to give prosecutors time to convince him to let the guilty verdicts stand and have a new jury decide Torres' punishment.

The issue will be addressed at a March 19 hearing.

A new trial would be Torres' third.

Mauricio Alejandro Torres will face his third jury next year.

Torres, 51, of Bella Vista is charged with capital murder and battery. He's accused of killing his 6-year-old son. Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.

Benton County Circuit Judge Brad Karren scheduled the trial to begin Jan. 31. The trial is expected to last at least three weeks. A pretrial hearing is set for Jan. 14.

Torres originally was tried and convicted in 2016 and sentenced to death, but the state Supreme Court overturned the conviction in 2019 and ordered Torres be given a new trial because prosecutors didn't prove their case for the death penalty.

A second jury found Torres guilty last year of the murder and battery charges. The proceedings ended during the sentencing phase on March 5, 2020, when a witness jumped from the jury box and attempted to attack Torres. A Benton County deputy and a bailiff stopped the witness from reaching Torres.

Karren declared a mistrial and ruled Torres should have another trial.

The Arkansas attorney general's office filed an appeal seeking to let the jury's guilty verdict stand, meaning the third jury would decide only Torres' punishment.

The Arkansas Supreme Court agreed with Karren's decision to grant the mistrial.

Third death-penalty trial in fatal abuse of boy set for January

Mauricio Torres seeks continuance in 3rd capital murder trial

Attorneys representing Mauricio Torres have filed a motion calling for Torres’ third capital murder trial to be postponed, according to court documents.

The third trial for the murder of his 6-year-old son, Isaiah, is currently scheduled for January 31 with a pretrial hearing set for January 14, 2022.

this is ridiculous how long this is taking. His victims that are still alive have to keep reliving this every time this piece of s**t gets another go around. I wish the victims got the same amount of fairness and rights as the perpetrator gets.

After the Arkansas Supreme Court has dismissed the Benton County Circuit Court's petition to uphold Mauricio Torres' guilty conviction in his six-year-old son's death, his third murder trial will move forward in full.

This means that his previous convictions will be thrown out, and new jurors will be selected. That jury selection was set to begin on Monday, Jan. 30, but was postponed due to icy and hazardous weather conditions.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ebilling
Back