Found Deceased AR - John Glasgow, 45, Little Rock, 28 January 2008

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Respectfully snipped.

No matter what he found or anyone else found during the audits, I sure hate to think that the poor man may have thought that was the only way out, but as the saying goes, sometimes still waters run very deep and sometimes it's hard to really know what's down in the depths of their psyche.

The auditors found nothing remiss. JG did nothing wrong in that regard.

I'm not sure what to make of the dogs, other than I assume that sometimes they can probably be mistaken. Maybe weather/wind patterns played a part? They described scent as pooling like a fog. I seem to remember them saying it was quite blustery on the mountain in the days following, which I take as meaning windy. Could the wind have literally blown away some of the scent? Not to mention that during the grid search, the dogs still failed to pick up his scent. I'm not sure what part of the mountain they searched, but it sounded fairly thorough. We now know he was there.....but the dogs still didn't smell him, so that tends to make me wonder about their usefulness around the car area.

A tornado hit the immediate area before the dogs got there. That could eliminate the scent.

I think the dogs that found his scent at the convenience store, motel and Waffle House were just flat wrong.

He possibly could have been there earlier as well.

If it were foul play, one would think that he would have had to have been taken against his will and literally shoved off a cliff, because there is no way someone was going to be able to lug a deceased person down those trails into the woods. That is VERY rough terrain! It just doesn't seem likely that someone would have taken him all the way up to Petit Jean to dispose of him, if for no other reason than there is really only one way in and out and there are lots of tourists and hikers around. It would have been very risky.

Near a trail would be possible, but away from one, I have to agree. I would not rule out being marched to a location and killed, though a push off a cliff might not be fatal and the murderer would have to know the was a cliff there.

As for suicide, one possibility would be hanging. The body would decompose and fall, the jaw would be detached
and the skull would roll. It will be important to see in the rest of the remains are in the area.

It is very sad, but at least the family has closure. :(

That was a very good post, BTW.

Regarding the gun: Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they eventually find the gun in a closet? At some point, he had moved it to another location within the house, so at first they thought it was missing, but that turned out to be false.

I don't think he took the gun. Now, I'm not saying he didn't have *another* gun, but the .22 in question...I'm almost positive that was found later at the house.

I started at the first of this thread and reread the day of the discovery of the remains. One of the articles in these first 4 pages, stated iirc it was a family heirloom, old gun and was located in an closet or chest shortly after they reported it missing.

Well that would have been an important detail for them to get right in the follow up story as it certainly makes suicide seem a possibility. I suppose reporters are only human, they make mistakes too, but it makes me wonder how many times other things are misreported or not followed up on.

Even with the gun accounted for, I'm leaning towards suicide though I think foul play is a very slight possibility.

I wonder whether or not LE knows more. When I saw the Disappeared episode that he was featured in so many years ago, my initial thought was suicide. Maybe that supposed "questionable" business relationship had a little more to it than reported, or maybe he really thought that it would ruin him, even though he did nothing wrong.

Another Disappeared subject found.....sigh.

I just watched John's Disappeared show today for like the fifth time. I then googled his name, as I do after watching each show. Shocked that he has been found but so glad for the family too. I still wonder why there were no scent trails leading away from his car though.

latest news on John Glasgow states bulk of his remains found along with his wallet and the sheriff stated it was "absolutely not" a criminal investigation. no mention if his vehicle keys were located or not.

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/...of-lr-exec-missing-since-08-/?f=news-arkansas

When asked if this case was now a criminal one, Smith replied, "Absolutely not."

"This has always been conducted as a missing person case. The investigation is now done," Smith said. "I'm definitely comfortable with it being a missing person found and case closed."

latest news on John Glasgow states bulk of his remains found along with his wallet and the sheriff stated it was "absolutely not" a criminal investigation. no mention if his vehicle keys were located or not.

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/...of-lr-exec-missing-since-08-/?f=news-arkansas

When asked if this case was now a criminal one, Smith replied, "Absolutely not."

"This has always been conducted as a missing person case. The investigation is now done," Smith said. "I'm definitely comfortable with it being a missing person found and case closed."

Wow. While I am happy for him that he thinks it's all done and dusted, his family and many of us strongly disagree with his statements. There is way too much dodgy stuff going on here, and it needs to be explored properly before closing the case. Yes, suicide is a possibility, but there are other aspects of the case that suggest homicide.

RIP, John Glasgow. You were loved by a lot of people when you were on this earth.

Wow. While I am happy for him that he thinks it's all done and dusted, his family and many of us strongly disagree with his statements. There is way too much dodgy stuff going on here, and it needs to be explored properly before closing the case. Yes, suicide is a possibility, but there are other aspects of the case that suggest homicide.

RIP, John Glasgow. You were loved by a lot of people when you were on this earth.

I don't see how the sheriff can make this declaration before the medical examiner has even tried to determine a cause of death either. Very strange.

I guess we don't know exactly what was found with the remains or how they were found. For example, if John did complete suicide, perhaps there was evidence of his method found? Or even a note in his wallet that may have survived the elements? I would suspect that for the police to say it's absolutely not a criminal case, they must have some fairly strong evidence.

Feels awful to type this, but wouldn't there have been buzzards or whatever? or the smell? But possibly if it isn't well traveled, just a lot of hmmm thoughts and questions. Same thoughts and questions no matter foul play or not.

Thoughts and prayers for family and friends

I don't see how the sheriff can make this declaration before the medical examiner has even tried to determine a cause of death either. Very strange.

I looked at the quote. It looks like the missing person part of the case was closed, but the pathologist will have to determine cause of death.

John Glasgow was one of the more mysterious cases covered on Disappeared. I believe his disappearance was directly related to his workplace troubles. I do not understand why an honest, innocent man would commit suicide. There is no indication John was embezzling money or using company finds inappropriately. There is no indication he was using questionable accounting methods or that he'd made a mistake. So why would he commit suicide?
On the other hand, what else could have happened: An accident, death or injury due to natural causes, a secret new life, or foul play? Because this speculation is based on the fact his job problems caused his disappearance, I am not going to cover an accident or natural causes (but I guess they are a remote possibility). Leaving to start a new life seems similar to suicide--why do it if you are innocent? Foul play seems a bit far-fetched, just because of the logistics and total lack of supporting evidence.
But it clearly had to be one of these reasons because he did disappear.
I looked back at articles posted on the first pages of this thread to see if I could get a better understanding of his problems at work.
I am going to break this up into several posts because it is quite long, so hang on...

Here is some background on CDI and Dillard's
Bill Dillard II was CEO of Dillard's. He and his best friend, Bill Clark created Clark-Dillard Inc (CDI). CDI was a construction company that was going to build new stores for Dillard's. The Dillard's corporation owned half of CDI, and Bill Clark owned the other half. Bill Clark was the CEO.
Instead of hiring an outside construction company and being charged a high fee, Dillard's would hire CDI and get a discount. In return, CDI would get all of Dillard's business (CDI had other clients).
Dillard's is a public company--anyone can purchase shares. Dillard's has to file annual financial statements with the SEC, and these are available to shareholders and the general public. This is what people use to value the company.
Dillard's reported construction expenses on the financial statements. But Dillard's expenses were revenues for CDI. Dillard's owned half of CDI. So Dillard's included half of the revenues in their financial statements. So Dillard's basically counted the same transaction as an expense and as a revenue, which is not allowed and is misleading.
But no one, including Dillard's, realized this until 2007.
http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/art...nings-due-to-error-in-cdi-accounting?page=all
http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/art...ws-strained-relationship-between-dillards-cdi
(I oversimplified bc it can get confusing, so if you read the articles and see that CDI had other names along the way, I omitted those types of details.)

Bill Clark II was impressed by John Glasgow and recruited him to work for CDI. In 1995, John Glasgow discovered that CDI's Chief Financial Officer was embezzling money. He was fired, and prosecuted. John was promoted to CFO. Dillard's expressed concern that CDI wasn't being controlled tightly enough and called for a restructuring of terms.
They held a meeting and Bill Dillard II, Bill Clark, Alex Dillard, and the CFOs of both companies, John Glasgow and James Freeman were present. New terms or arrangements were established. Unfortunately there is no written record of the arrangements (should be recorded in the minutes). These probably included how to record the revenues correctly, the percent paid per job, and bonuses paid to CDI officers.
Business moves forward until Bill Clark II dies in 2007. Dillard's now has the right to buy all shares, but is negotiating a deal where Bill Clark's son, William Clark retains 30% and other CDI employees own 20%.
At this point, Dillard's CFO, James Freeman, realizes they were improperly claiming revenues and expenses and questions the bonuses paid to Glasgow.
James Freeman reportedly asked Glasgow if he knew about Enron, and said, "You know the CFO there? He lost his license; he went to prison. Well, that’s what’s going to happen to you.” Freeman brought in three auditors who treated CDI like criminals.
http://upstart.bizjournals.com/exec...Arkansas-Executive-Goes-Missing.html?page=all

The area where JG was found is off Red Bluff Dr. and is actually about 2.8 miles by vehicle from where his vehicle was parked at Mather Lodge - so his remains were much further away than what most news reports were saying. And if you look at Red Bluff Dr. on Google street view - it's basically a very isolated dirt road that winds around the upper west most portion of Petit Jean State Park. I've read several articles that state this area is the least visited area of the park due to the isolation, rugged & rocky terrain. From this street view you would take this road about 1 1/2 miles to the area near the bluff where he was found. And going the opposite direction is about 1 1/2 miles to get to Mather Lodge. (when you turn back & go in the direction of Mather Lodge there is a brown wooden roadway sign that points out the various directions to places and you veer to the right to get to the Lodge.)

https://maps.google.com/maps?output=classic&dg=brw

I do not believe that JG hiked way over to this area from Mather Lodge. I think it's possible someone else took him to Red Bluff Dr and pushed/threw him off the bluff there. But, I have no clue what the medical examiner will say yet....I'm only speculating.

here's a map from news reports

0313glasgowfound_t635.jpg

John Glasgow was one of the more mysterious cases covered on Disappeared. I believe his disappearance was directly related to his workplace troubles. I do not understand why an honest, innocent man would commit suicide. There is no indication John was embezzling money or using company finds inappropriately. There is no indication he was using questionable accounting methods or that he'd made a mistake. So why would he commit suicide?
On the other hand, what else could have happened: An accident, death or injury due to natural causes, a secret new life, or foul play? Because this speculation is based on the fact his job problems caused his disappearance, I am not going to cover an accident or natural causes (but I guess they are a remote possibility). Leaving to start a new life seems similar to suicide--why do it if you are innocent? Foul play seems a bit far-fetched, just because of the logistics and total lack of supporting evidence.
But it clearly had to be one of these reasons because he did disappear.

From the outside, it seems that John had a thriving career, a large happy family and what seems to have been a stable upper middle-class life. The thought of going to prison could be absolutely terrifying to someone like that. He wouldn't be the first person to die by suicide because they were terrified of going to jail.

I don't think he died by suicide though...

The area where JG was found is off Red Bluff Dr. and is actually about 2.8 miles by vehicle from where his vehicle was parked at Mather Lodge - so his remains were much further away than what most news reports were saying. And if you look at Red Bluff Dr. on Google street view - it's basically a very isolated dirt road that winds around the upper west most portion of Petit Jean State Park. I've read several articles that state this area is the least visited area of the park due to the isolation, rugged & rocky terrain. From this street view you would take this road about 1 1/2 miles to the area near the bluff where he was found. And going the opposite direction is about 1 1/2 miles to get to Mather Lodge. (when you turn back & go in the direction of Mather Lodge there is a brown wooden roadway sign that points out the various directions to places and you veer to the right to get to the Lodge.)

https://maps.google.com/maps?output=classic&dg=brw

I do not believe that JG hiked way over to this area from Mather Lodge. I think it's possible someone else took him to Red Bluff Dr and pushed/threw him off the bluff there. But, I have no clue what the medical examiner will say yet....I'm only speculating.

here's a map from news reports

View attachment 71359

There would be a number of questions.

First would have to be how close to the road and paths was the body found. The terrain is very rugged and it might be difficult to walk someone at gun point to that area. JG could have made a break for it.

Second, while the skull was found at the bottom of a cliff, the remains may not have been. Is the drop steep enough to have ensured JG's death?

Third, if there was a killer, how did he get away. Yes, the killer could have driven the car back to Mather Lodge, but how did he get out of the area? There would need to be a second vehicle.

something else I spotted - from post #103 that contains the actual document requesting his death declaration it states - other than the items found in his vehicle that all JG took with him that day were his wallet & his watch....yet in an interview with his wife & best friend it's reported the wrist-watch was left at home...

http://upstart.bizjournals.com/exec...Arkansas-Executive-Goes-Missing.html?page=all

who knows which is correct

the skull was found approx 150 yds off Red Bluff Dr and was approx 587 yards (1/3 mile) from any trail. The bulk of the remains (with clothing) found later were found on a rock shelf 200 yds south of where the skull was found.

I found a photo online by a tourist of the Red Bluff Dr area

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/e9/f7/0e/e9f70efe9e6760f2e42e4045b6da1649.jpg

and from the Ark State Parks website - here's a shot taken of some of the cliffs at Red Bluff Dr and if you look far in the distance you can see Mather Lodge.

http://www.arkansasstateparks.com/!userfiles/photo-tour/mather lodge from red bluff drive.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela
Back