Found Deceased AR - Rodney Letterman, 33, Devil's Den, West Fork, 28 Aug 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Verrrry interesting. Good catch!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
I live on the edge of devil dens so I'm there multiple times through the year, and I know this park very well. Since I heard this story ive had reservations with the idea that this man got lost in the woods and search crews couldn't find him. The parks a single valley park, with a creek down the center and steep terrain on both sides. I just can't see how in a couple hours time he could get so lost that 120 searchers with dogs couldn't find him after days of seaching.

The travel site update falls in line with the lack of local media leading me to believe that officials just want to make sure people keep coming to the park so they can make tourist money.

I almost feel like something criminal may have happend, the only way we know he was ever even there is because of his phone that was conveniently found just a foot or two off the trail, and a guy who claims to be his friend saying he was there.

I would love to see a real smart person follow up on this missing person case, something fishy about people disappearing into thin air with hardly any media follow up.

I live on the edge of devil dens so I'm there multiple times through the year, and I know this park very well. Since I heard this story ive had reservations with the idea that this man got lost in the woods and search crews couldn't find him. The parks a single valley park, with a creek down the center and steep terrain on both sides. I just can't see how in a couple hours time he could get so lost that 120 searchers with dogs couldn't find him after days of seaching.

The travel site update falls in line with the lack of local media leading me to believe that officials just want to make sure people keep coming to the park so they can make tourist money.

I almost feel like something criminal may have happend, the only way we know he was ever even there is because of his phone that was conveniently found just a foot or two off the trail, and a guy who claims to be his friend saying he was there.

I would love to see a real smart person follow up on this missing person case, something fishy about people disappearing into thin air with hardly any media follow up.

Yes! I've had the same thoughts, something criminal very well may have happened. I have been to Devil's Den but it was a few years ago, still I found it strange how he could have just vanished in that area in such a short period of time, and with so few clues. Also odd that this "friend" has offered so little information, and as far as we've heard there's no concrete evidence Rodney was ever even there. Thank you so much for your input and for weighing in, very grateful to have a local here! And thank you also for joining us here Exissting! .... Welcome to Websleuths!:welcome:

Yes! I've had the same thoughts, something criminal very well may have happened. I have been to Devil's Den but it was a few years ago, still I found it strange how he could have just vanished in that area in such a short period of time, and with so few clues. Also odd that this "friend" has offered so little information, and as far as we've heard there's no concrete evidence Rodney was ever even there. Thank you so much for your input and for weighing in, very grateful to have a local here! And thank you also for joining us here Exissting! .... Welcome to Websleuths!:welcome:

Thank you for such a warm welcome, that was awsome.

I really do hope that this case is solved, for the friends and family, but also for my friends and family. Our state natural parks are such a great resource and I've always felt safe at this park imparticular, I bring my children there as a place that we can learn about nature and how we fit in with it, but since this happend I hate to admit it but it has creeped me out, feeling a little uncomfortable with the whole thing. Not to mention how I guess we are just supposed to forget that a grown man has just vanished into thin air.

Still hoping for updates, thinking maybe I'll go up to the park rangers office and see what they are thinking, ill report back if I discover anything interesting.

I found this article from Nov 6, 2017 that I don't think was posted here:

Officials involved in the search for a Bartlesville man who went missing during an Aug. 27 hike in Devil’s Den State Park near Fayetteville, Ark., said they are pursuing several possibilities in the case.

“Some questions have come up during the course of the investigation,” Washington County, Arkansas, Sheriff’s deputy John Schuster told the Examiner-Enterprise about the disappearance of 33-year-old Rodney Letterman. “We’d like to hear from anyone who might now something concerning this case.”
“As yet we have had nothing, no leads and we were down there with search and rescue for about a week,” Schuster said, adding they had found Letterman’s phone and some other items.

“He has been known to disappear before,” he said.
http://www.examiner-enterprise.com/...k-info-bartlesville-man-disappeared-in-august

Hmmm...

Did I just miss that before, the “he has been known to disappear before”?

If you missed it, then so did I. I think they only said that in this article in November. LE sure put a lot of doubt on the circumstances of his disappearance. :thinking:

I thought for a minute this was our guy but apparently there had been another man missing in a forest in Arkansas. This body was of a 27 year old man in the Ponca Wilderness area near the Buffalo National River. Did a search and we did not have a thread for him.

http://www.kait8.com/story/37604078/hikers-find-body-of-missing-man-in-arkansas-wilderness-area
I live close to Ponca. Its very rough and remote. People need to come prepared. The local news said that this fellow likely died of hypothermia. They think he got lost and wasn't prepared for an overnight stay. Jmo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

It's been almost a year and no info. One article said his wife stated he was exhausted and not feeling well when he left for the hike. Outside of that statement, she's made zero mention of him on social media. Also, another article said he's disappeared before.
https://www.strangeoutdoors.com/mysterious-stories-blog/2017/12/28/rodney-letterman-strange-disappearances-in-the-us-wildernes

OFFICIALS SEEK INFO: Bartlesville man disappeared in August
Why would anyone go on a hike like that if they were exhausted and feeling poorly? Just raises more red flags to me. jmo

Rodney has been added to Charley Project:
Rodney Wayne Letterman
  • letterman_rodney2.jpg
  • letterman_rodney3.jpg
  • letterman_rodney5.jpg
  • letterman_rodney8.jpg
  • letterman_rodney9.jpg
Letterman, circa 2017

• Missing Since 08/28/2017
  • Missing From Fayetteville, Arkansas
  • Classification Lost/Injured Missing
  • Age 33 years old
  • Height and Weight 6'0, 220 - 240 pounds
  • Medical Conditions Letterman suffers from high blood pressure and needs medication which he doesn't have with him.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, green eyes. Letterman shaved his head and had a beard at the time of his disappearance.
Details of Disappearance
Letterman was last seen at Devil's Den State Park in Fayetteville, Arkansas on August 28, 2017. He was hiking on the Butterfield Trail with a friend when, at about 12:00 p.m., Letterman wasn't feeling well and sat down to rest. He had left his blood pressure medicine in the car, so his friend went back to get it for him. When he returned, Letterman was gone.

At the time of his disappearance, Letterman was carrying one and a half liters of water but no backpack. Searchers located his cellular phone, phone charger and flashlight at the campsite, but no other sign of him. His case remains unsolved.

Rodney Wayne Letterman – The Charley Project

Hello everyone! I'm new to Websleuths; joined with regard to interest in another case that has happened near to me, and decided to see if there was anything on this case while I was on this site.

I too live near Devil's Den. My husband and I hike there infrequently. I've never completed the entirety of the Butterfield Trail, but I have hiked both ends of it, and other trails in the park. In August it is pretty dry in these parts, but there is usually water in Lee Creek. If they'd camped in the campground the night before, as is said that they did...and if they had even the most normal degree of awareness of the lay of the land...and if they were paying attention at all to their surroundings...and if they knew anything at all about hiking in the back country...Rodney would have known that there is water in Lee Creek.

That said...about 10 days or so after his disappearance, my husband and I went to the park and hiked this trail. Where it crosses Hwy. 170, we went to the south, which takes you deeper into the forest. Going to the north at that point takes you back down into the park and around another popular trail system where the caves are; more people in that area, usually.

I will say that the trail signage was crappy. We went in from the road about 50 yards or so, I'm guessing, and the Butterfield Trial goes off to the left...but the signage was missing. And the maps that they give you at the Visitor Center are laughable; not very well done, pretty crude, and certainly without any topo features to go by. SO, we missed the left turn onto the trail at first. I figured out we were on the wrong trail when another one forked to the left, at a place where one was not supposed to be, if we were on the Butterfield Trail (BFT.) So we backtracked and found the right trail. To make this point more solidly....when we hiked out, we took that trail that went to the left, to have a loop back. And we met another couple coming down at the intersection, who were making the same mistake we had made! They thought they were on the BFT, and the male in the couple kinda argued with me when we tried to help them. I finally said, "Well, it doesn't really matter. You have backpacks and Lee Creek is down there if you run out of water. But you might not end up where you think you're going to end up for the night." With that, he decided to walk back with us to the correct fork. He sure was sheepish, but he sure was thankful!

Once we got onto the BF Trail, we began to see yellow tape markers where the search crews had marked things...for what reasons, we don't know. But somewhat less than a mile into it, we could see to the right a nice camping area, big flat spot without much underbrush, and a fire ring. Looks like the area is used frequently for campers. And it was marked off with yellow tape, and numerous places marked with smaller pieces. We figured that this is the area were Rodney supposedly waited for his friend to return with the meds; maybe where the phone was found.

We hiked on. Went to an overlook area which was on the left, and saw where more things were marked, such as piece of tissue dropped on the ground. There were cliffs here, but it was heavily wooded. Would be easy for someone to tumble down and not be found. You'd think though, that in the amount of time they searched the area with dogs, someone would have found his body, if he'd died out there. Further down the trail were more cliffs and more camping areas. Pretty views all around.

We chatted with the rangers and the staff at the Visitor Center about his disappearance, and the search, when we got back, and we told them about the crappy signage and map. We also talked with them several more times when we went back for other hikes. They were pretty careful about what they'd say. But we clearly got the impression from them that they thought Rodney had left the park with the intention to not be found. I don't know the details of why they thought this...don't know if any of the dogs tracking (and they did bring in several dogs) led the the road and stopped, or what. But that camp area that I described, with the yellow tape, was not all that far into the trail. Perhaps a mile. If someone had intended to fake a disappearance, it would be an easy walk back out to the highway. The only thing is, in the daylight, he'd have a chance of being encountered by other hikers who would later remember him. So while this is possible, of course, it was a risk he took. Would he leave his phone so he couldn't be tracked? Knew he wasn't going to need *that* phone anymore? I can understand why it looks that way to some, especially if he had a reason to disappear, and a history of doing this.

OTOH, Devil's Den has some history of other disappearances. There's a book by a man named Terry Lovelace who tells of a very terrifying encounter that he and a friend had there, years ago, while camping in this park. It's a classic UFO abduction tale. Terry claims that when he was writing his book, he met with a Native American who relayed a story of an entire hunting party who went missing in that area, several hundreds of years ago. As the story goes, the tribe avoided this area after that.

I'm not advocating for either scenario, one way or the other. But I wanted to share what I know so others can put it into their cookpot while hashing this case. The worst thing that could happen, I think, is that people write him off as an intentional disappearance and give up on him when this is not what happened. But you have to make a judgement, I guess, when you're talking about the use of SAR resources, when the subject has a history of disappearing, and perhaps a motive to do so again. I hope my bit of input is helpful, or if not helpful, at least not harmful.

Last edited:
WINSLOW (KFSM) — A hiker found human remains in Devil’s Den last month, but officials have yet to identify who the person was, according to the Washington County Sheriff’s Office.

The hiker found a human skull off one of the trails on Feb. 25 and contacted park rangers, who in turn contacted the sheriff’s office.

The remains were collected, packaged and sent to the Arkansas State Crime Lab. Currently, investigators are unable to identify the remains but have requested a DNA profile be established for the recovered remains, said Kelly Cantrell, sheriff’s office spokeswoman.

The cause of death and manner of death has yet to be determined.

An Oklahoma man disappeared in the park in August 2017 and the sheriff’s office is actively investigating the disappearance as a missing person’s case, Cantrell said.

Rodney Letterman, 33, of Bartlesville, Okla., was last seen around noon on Aug. 17, 2017, when he was separated from his hiking partner.

Unidentified human remains found in Devil's Den State Park

I'm wondering how far off of the trail the remains were found. The "breaking news" article said it was "near a trail." This second article says "off one of the trails." That seems to imply not near the trail, to me. I'm still wondering how dogs could have missed the body?

Here'a a more in-depth article. This one gets my attention.

Human Remains Found at Devil's Den Park; Could be Missing Hiker

In the video, you'll see a map of the area. I know this area a bit so I know what I'm looking at, but if you Google Earth the Devil's Den State Park Visitor's Center, and compare it to this map, you'll see that the remains were found a significant distance from where Rodney was left waiting for his friend to come back with medication. The remains were near a water way; he was left on the Butterfield Trail, which isn't near this waterway. If the remains are Rodney's...and if one goes with the theory that he was trying to stage a disappearance, and leave the park, he wouldn't have gone that particular way. It makes no logical sense. This area is very rough, and he's down to the creek that is outside of the park boundaries, away from the road. So, this is very odd. I can't see a sick man stumbling down to this place. Why? Not to mention, they claim that this area was searched. If these are the remains of Rodney Letterman, this is very curious, to me.

Here'a a more in-depth article. This one gets my attention.

Human Remains Found at Devil's Den Park; Could be Missing Hiker

In the video, you'll see a map of the area. I know this area a bit so I know what I'm looking at, but if you Google Earth the Devil's Den State Park Visitor's Center, and compare it to this map, you'll see that the remains were found a significant distance from where Rodney was left waiting for his friend to come back with medication. The remains were near a water way; he was left on the Butterfield Trail, which isn't near this waterway. If the remains are Rodney's...and if one goes with the theory that he was trying to stage a disappearance, and leave the park, he wouldn't have gone that particular way. It makes no logical sense. This area is very rough, and he's down to the creek that is outside of the park boundaries, away from the road. So, this is very odd. I can't see a sick man stumbling down to this place. Why? Not to mention, they claim that this area was searched. If these are the remains of Rodney Letterman, this is very curious, to me.
Remains aren't always found at the site of death. They may move (what archeologists and forensic anthropologists call "post-depositional position change) due to wind, rain, snow, falling trees, or the gravitational effects of sloping terrain. Even more likely - wild animals often scatter remains. Since only the skull was found it could be it was carried there by an animal and that is not the site of his death.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Solange
Back