Arizona girl, 2, left in car by father on 109-degree day and is found dead

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Definitely sounds like he did it on purpose originally and then got caught up in something else. Curious how the search warrant included the Play Station video game system.
I suspect that they will use the PlayStation’s data to develop a more complete timeline of events (e.g., if he were to claim he went inside and played a certain game for 30 minutes, was it actually 30 minutes?).

I suspect that they will use the PlayStation’s data to develop a more complete timeline of events (e.g., if he were to claim he went inside and played a certain game for 30 minutes, was it actually 30 minutes?

This is new to me. Says they left her in car regularly and would receive alerts saying it got too hot or turned off. I guess this will be tested too.

If this was truly an accident (a negligent accident, but still an accident) then he’s making it much worse for himself lying about what time he returned to the house. I still don’t suspect he was trying to purposefully harm his daughter, but it’s obvious he’s trying to cover his own ***. Even if leaving their daughter sleeping in a running car is regularly something they did, I don’t understand why on Earth he would park the car in the driveway. Like others have said, the car could have been stolen with her in it! And there is absolutely no protection from the roasting sun out there versus the coverage of the garage. I just feel the whole situation was very negligent— at the same time, I feel for both parents because they seem very loving and involved and I know that they are probably in the middle of some of the most painful times that one can experience in their lives.

MOO.

This is new to me. Says they left her in car regularly and would receive alerts saying it got too hot or turned off. I guess this will be tested too.
“The father went on to say it was not unusual for him and his wife, to leave the toddler in the running car while it is parked in the garage.

“On this occasion, he said he parked in the driveway because of exercise equipment in the garage.”

So either heatstroke or carbon monoxide poisoning, take your pick.

Last edited:

“The child's father claimed he typically receives alerts if the car becomes too hot or shuts off, but he did not receive any such alerts on that day.”

Do any of you get these alerts from your cars? I presume it would be a notification on your phone? I think my car is too old for a feature like that, and I don’t think I’ve ever left a car running for 20+ minutes to find out.

I thought maybe the car battery died, but that would be easy to determine — seems the articles would mention it.

“The father went on to say it was not unusual for him and his wife, to leave the toddler in the running car while it is parked in the garage.

“On this occasion, he said he parked in the driveway because of exercise equipment in the garage.”

So heatstroke or carbon monoxide poisoning, take your pick.
So both parents had a habit of leaving their daughter in a running car while she slept. Sorry but that’s all kind of wrong IMO no matter how they try to justify it.

Heck, when I opened the link there was a big red banner at the top announcing an extreme heat warning. And this guy thought it was okay to leave his daughter alone in the car in the driveway? No.

I have a feeling the police are piecing together the afternoon. According to the timeline dad told the officer he arrived home at 2:45 but cameras verified it was actually 12:53. Why did he lie? To cover his behind even though he claimed it was their usual routine? Ugh.

Among other items, LE seized:
A PS5 gaming system
A remote control
A gaming headset
A drink left on the coffee table
A laptop
An iPad tablet.

I know I am late to this thread, but come on, the car had to run out of charge and some point and the heat, my god. Was he tested for drugs or alcohol? somehow to me this is almost worst than "accidentally" leaving a child in a hot car, he knew, looked said ok and trusted technology WRONG WRONG WRONG.

“The child's father claimed he typically receives alerts if the car becomes too hot or shuts off, but he did not receive any such alerts on that day.”

Do any of you get these alerts from your cars? I presume it would be a notification on your phone? I think my car is too old for a feature like that, and I don’t think I’ve ever left a car running for 20+ minutes to find out.

I thought maybe the car battery died, but that would be easy to determine — seems the articles would mention it.
And we all know electronics BREAK. Computers reboot and reset. Circuits overheat or just break. Air conditioners conk out at times. I would never trust a car alert to alert me if the car interior became too hot so that I could go extract my child from inside! ARGH! Another very sad case.

He has been arrested quickly, IMO.
I wonder if his claim that both parents sometimes left their child asleep in the car in the garage is true, because I feel like his wife, as a doctor, would know that's too dangerous.
This swift arrest is in stark contrast to our other forgotten baby case, which has had no arrests after a month. The circumstances must be very different, even though Diana was left in the car for much longer.

He has been arrested quickly, IMO.
I wonder if his claim that both parents sometimes left their child asleep in the car in the garage is true, because I feel like his wife, as a doctor, would know that's too dangerous.
It does seem awfully fast, doesn't it? And are they thinking "intentional" or accidental manslaughter?

I assume the confiscation of the devices is routine. If he said he was gaming at the time, they want to check timestamps and such, and analyze the drink for alcohol or drugs, I assume. Maybe he had a gaming addiction. It's not unusual for adults to game and get caught up for hours. Why would he lie about arrival time? Perhaps because he realized leaving her for 3 hours sounded worse than "just an hour"? I wonder if any neighbors know and can verify if she was frequently left in the car to sleep to corrorborate that claim.

I am very confused as I haven't followed this one closely. The father claims he AND the mother leave their child in the car regularly after arriving home? For what purpose? I just don't get what is the advantage of regularly leaving your kid in the car once you've arrived home. For hours? What is the point in that?

I mean we all know it can be difficult to get your toddler to nap and if she was sleeping I can see the dad being loathe to move her and disturb her sleep, but three hours?? And we just do this regularly, like it's no big deal? And mom is a dr? WTH?

Arizona second degree murder. I deleted the sections about abortion as they don’t apply here. Section 3 seems to fit the best although IMO there will be a plea deal that lowers the charge. Maybe for the child abuse charge too.

And if the mother either routinely left the child in a running car or knew her husband did so then should she be charged with child abuse too? Being a doctor doesn’t always prevent them from making harmful choices. JMO

13-1104. Second degree murder; classification

A. A person commits second degree murder if without premeditation:

1. The person intentionally causes the death of another person, including an unborn child or, as a result of intentionally causing the death of another person, causes the death of an unborn child; or

2. Knowing that the person's conduct will cause death or serious physical injury, the person causes the death of another person, including an unborn child or, as a result of knowingly causing the death of another person, causes the death of an unborn child; or

3. Under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to human life, the person recklessly engages in conduct that creates a grave risk of death and thereby causes the death of another person, including an unborn child or, as a result of recklessly causing the death of another person, causes the death of an unborn child.

C. Second degree murder is a class 1 felony and is punishable as provided by section 13-705 if the victim is under fifteen years of age or is an unborn child, section 13-706, subsection A or section 13-710.

I am very confused as I haven't followed this one closely. The father claims he AND the mother leave their child in the car regularly after arriving home? For what purpose? I just don't get what is the advantage of regularly leaving your kid in the car once you've arrived home. For hours? What is the point in that?

I mean we all know it can be difficult to get your toddler to nap and if she was sleeping I can see the dad being loathe to move her and disturb her sleep, but three hours?? And we just do this regularly, like it's no big deal? And mom is a dr? WTH?
If it's true, I have no hesitation in calling this a child abuse murder.

Everyone knows the risk of leaving kids, pets, elderly people, disabled people, etc in cars, ESPECIALLY in the summer.

There are PSAs. The cases of deaths are publicised. Have been my whole life, and I'm in my forties. And I know I'm Australian, not American, but you can't tell me that people in Arizona aren't acutely aware of the dangers, even if they don't have kids.

MOO

I know I am late to this thread, but come on, the car had to run out of charge and some point and the heat, my god. Was he tested for drugs or alcohol? somehow to me this is almost worst than "accidentally" leaving a child in a hot car, he knew, looked said ok and trusted technology WRONG WRONG WRONG.
I agree with you completely that his excuse makes it so much worse. I honestly feel queasy thinking about this baby in a hot car while her father knew she was there but wasn’t even considering going back for her. It’s almost like leaving a baby alone in a bathtub full of water just because she has a neck float on.

ETA: and how does this work in practice? Would she just wake up and sit there doing nothing, waiting for him to decide “she’s probably awake by now” and go let her out of the car? Even his CYA explanation doesn’t hold up to five minutes of thought.

Last edited:
somehow to me this is almost worst than "accidentally" leaving a child in a hot car, he knew, looked said ok and trusted technology WRONG WRONG WRONG.

IMO this is worse. As awful and unimaginable as it is that parents can ever forget that they have a baby in the car, from the evidence so far it seems that this was done with full intent. Not through absent-mindedness.

Why? What is there to do that is more important for a father than protecting his child? To play video games? To avoid the hassle of “disturbing” his child if she were sleeping?

If the news is correct that this was a common habit, especially for BOTH parents, then I wish all three kids had been removed from their home before this happened.

On that note I wonder why the older girls did not inquire about their little sister’s whereabouts. Perhaps they did, but I’d assume that would’ve made the father race to the car. Therefore I infer that this was in fact a regular habit and so the other little girls were nonchalant about it, or too young to grasp the significance anyway.

I’ve just spent three summer weeks in Florida because my mother is very ill. I find the heat unbearable and it’s difficult to breathe. The car is a furnace. I don’t even want to imagine how hot it was in this Arizona car with a completely defenseless toddler trapped inside.

IMO

Yup, this is one I was actually fairly certain would end with an arrest, which is not typical for me in cases of children left in hot cars. He was obviously extremely negligent and his direct actions caused the death of this poor baby, even if he truly didn’t mean to harm her in any way. From what @MsMarple posted about the qualifications for being charged with 2nd degree murder in AZ— seems like the right charges.

MOO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BarbieP
Back