Arizona girl, 2, left in car by father on 109-degree day and is found dead

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
BOND HEARING FOR CHRISTOPHER SHOLTES

12TH JULY

STATE
- As this court knows and, we've discussed this with previous hearings, the state's recommendation of high bonds with murder cases without criminal history and while the court definitely may consider the lack of criminal history as well as the abuse of the victim, which I understand are in the pre-trial services report, the nature of the offense is also considered as well.

Of most concern to the state in the interim complaint is the lack of true telling by the defendant when interviewed by the police, that was quickly contradicted by police as well as his awareness not only the timing that the car would shut off, but the text messages between him and his wife indicating that there was an awareness that this was an issue long before this happened. So, given the nature of the offense, the state is requesting the million dollar bond.

MOTHER - I would like to be heard please, and your honor, is it ok if I don't show myself?

JUDGE - That's fine.

MOTHER - So, thank you for allowing me to speak. I just wanted to say that no-one understands how great of a tragedy this is, more than myself, my girls, my remaining two daughters, and Christopher. So, not only do we have to move forward with grieving for my daughter but we potentially could be losing their father. So the absolute worst case scenario for our family is if Chris were to be away from us. We're already hurting, no-one else shares this bond and this trauma like all of us, all four of us. I know the significance of the tragedy and I don't want you to think for a second that I underestimate the impact that it has on our lives, on everyone's lives, or that I'm undermining your concerns about the safety of those in our household. So, I'm just asking if you can allow him to come home to us so we can all start the grieving process so that he can bury our daughter with us, this upcoming week, and that we can go through this whole process together as a family and so, I understand that there is concern for flight risk, I just don't see that as a thing. We live in this home that all of our girls were brought home in. If anything, Chris wants to stay here, he's always been cooperative through this entire process and we'll ensure that we have continued cooperation and if there's anything additional that is needed from the courts to ensure our safety, I'm happy to help with those certainties that are needed.

He's an amazing father, he's a pillar of our community, he's been a coach for young kids. He's taken them to school every day, he's been the main caregiver; I work many hours so they're all that he sees. This was a big mistake and I think that this doesn't represent him and I just want the girls to see their father so that I don't have to tell them tonight that they're going to endure another loss. And that's all I have to say your honor.

Judge releases him to pre-trial services and doesn't believe a money bond is appropriate at this time.
That was interesting. Mom was so calm and professional. Maybe her medical background. Dad, only while she was speaking, looked like he was having convulsions.

...but the text messages between him and his wife indicating that there was an awareness that this was an issue long before this happened.

Whoa! WTH? This has been an issue before and no bail? Wow.
Where did you see info about texts?

...but the text messages between him and his wife indicating that there was an awareness that this was an issue long before this happened.

Whoa! WTH? This has been an issue before and no bail? Wow.
If the wife was aware of him doing this previously, WHY is she so forgiving now? I don't get it. It's a 'mistake' if it happens once. But it's a bad habit if it was an ongoing pattern of child abuse---which is what that is---child abuse to leave a baby in a car on a 109 degree day.

2nd degree is intentional murder. I don't think they'll keep that charge. Manslaughter and negligence from a very stupid idiot of a father sounds more like it.
Doesn't have to be intentional BBM:

13-1104. Second degree murder; classification

A. A person commits second degree murder if without premeditation:

1. The person intentionally causes the death of another person, including an unborn child or, as a result of intentionally causing the death of another person, causes the death of an unborn child; or

2. Knowing that the person's conduct will cause death or serious physical injury, the person causes the death of another person, including an unborn child or, as a result of knowingly causing the death of another person, causes the death of an unborn child; or

3. Under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to human life, the person recklessly engages in conduct that creates a grave risk of death and thereby causes the death of another person, including an unborn child or, as a result of recklessly causing the death of another person, causes the death of an unborn child.

If the wife was aware of him doing this previously, WHY is she so forgiving now? I don't get it. It's a 'mistake' if it happens once. But it's a bad habit if it was an ongoing pattern of child abuse---which is what that is---child abuse to leave a baby in a car on a 109 degree day.

My sentiments exactly.

I grasp that the mom is worried for her surviving daughters and about amplifying their grief by not having their father home.

I do NOT understand why she sounds calm and so forgiving. Doctor or no, this is her child who died, not a random patient of hers.

Now that we know this was habitual and routine, leaving a two year old alone in a running car, I cannot abide the mom calling it just “a big mistake.” It wasn’t a mistake, it wasn’t a one-time deadly oversight, it was a method of theirs and likely going on since the child was even younger.

IMO the dad didn’t need a car alert to tell him to remove his daughter from the car. God gave him an alert…109°. I presume he can read a thermometer or comprehend the Arizona local news that informed him of the deadly heat wave.

It’s incomprehensible to me.

JMO

ETA: @Allabouttrial Thank you for providing the transcript. You’re heroic that way!

Where did you see info about texts?
In the post I replied to. At the bond hearing, the state brought it up:

Allabouttrial said:
BOND HEARING FOR CHRISTOPHER SHOLTES

12TH JULY

STATE
- As this court knows and, we've discussed this with previous hearings, the state's recommendation of high bonds with murder cases without criminal history and while the court definitely may consider the lack of criminal history as well as the abuse of the victim, which I understand are in the pre-trial services report, the nature of the offense is also considered as well.

Of most concern to the state in the interim complaint is the lack of true telling by the defendant when interviewed by the police, that was quickly contradicted by police as well as his awareness not only the timing that the car would shut off, but the text messages between him and his wife indicating that there was an awareness that this was an issue long before this happened. So, given the nature of the offense, the state is requesting the million dollar bond.

MOTHER - I would like to be heard please, and your honor, is it ok if I don't show myself?

JUDGE - That's fine.

MOTHER - So, thank you for allowing me to speak. I just wanted to say that no-one understands how great of a tragedy this is, more than myself, my girls, my remaining two daughters, and Christopher. So, not only do we have to move forward with grieving for my daughter but we potentially could be losing their father. So the absolute worst case scenario for our family is if Chris were to be away from us. We're already hurting, no-one else shares this bond and this trauma like all of us, all four of us. I know the significance of the tragedy and I don't want you to think for a second that I underestimate the impact that it has on our lives, on everyone's lives, or that I'm undermining your concerns about the safety of those in our household. So, I'm just asking if you can allow him to come home to us so we can all start the grieving process so that he can bury our daughter with us, this upcoming week, and that we can go through this whole process together as a family and so, I understand that there is concern for flight risk, I just don't see that as a thing. We live in this home that all of our girls were brought home in. If anything, Chris wants to stay here, he's always been cooperative through this entire process and we'll ensure that we have continued cooperation and if there's anything additional that is needed from the courts to ensure our safety, I'm happy to help with those certainties that are needed.

He's an amazing father, he's a pillar of our community, he's been a coach for young kids. He's taken them to school every day, he's been the main caregiver; I work many hours so they're all that he sees. This was a big mistake and I think that this doesn't represent him and I just want the girls to see their father so that I don't have to tell them tonight that they're going to endure another loss. And that's all I have to say your honor.

Judge releases him to pre-trial services and doesn't believe a money bond is appropriate at this time.

My sentiments exactly.

I grasp that the mom is worried for her surviving daughters and about amplifying their grief by not having their father home.

I do NOT understand why she sounds calm and so forgiving. Doctor or no, this is her child who died, not a random patient of hers.

Now that we know this was habitual and routine, leaving a two year old alone in a running car, I cannot abide the mom calling it just “a big mistake.” It wasn’t a mistake, it wasn’t a one-time deadly oversight, it was a method of theirs and likely going on since the child was even younger.

IMO the dad didn’t need a car alert to tell him to remove his daughter from the car. God gave him an alert…109°. I presume he can read a thermometer or comprehend the Arizona local news that informed him of the deadly heat wave.

It’s incomprehensible to me.

JMO

ETA: @Allabouttrial Thank you for providing the transcript. You’re heroic that way!
I agree. Her affect was odd. Unemotional (or perhaps without the emotion we’d expect). Curious what the texts said. Assume he’s done it before (not just once), and assume she criticized him and told him not to do it (she’s a Dr at a hospital, she sees worst case scenarios daily). I’d lose my **** the first time my spouse did it. Can’t imagine if this was an ongoing thing tho.

In an earlier post, someone suggested she should be held negligent if she knew about his history and continued to let him be the main caregiver. I thought that was a harsh response. But now that I’ve had time to let this info sink in, I have to agree.

I agree. Her affect was odd. Unemotional (or perhaps without the emotion we’d expect). Curious what the texts said. Assume he’s done it before (not just once), and assume she criticized him and told him not to do it (she’s a Dr at a hospital, she sees worst case scenarios daily). I’d lose my **** the first time my spouse did it. Can’t imagine if this was an ongoing thing tho.

In an earlier post, someone suggested she should be held negligent if she knew about his history and continued to let him be the main caregiver. I thought that was a harsh response. But now that I’ve had time to let this info sink in, I have to agree.
It all seems surreal. She's a freaking doctor and this leaving the kid in the car habit is so reckless and sounds like they don't care about their kids, at all. I don't care if it's 60 degrees. It's not safe for a variety of reasons. Then add that it's Arizona in the summer.

Her father claimed that he left her in the car in the driveway, with the engine and a/c on, and when he came back about half an hour later, it had somehow turned itself off, and the car had overheated and she had died.

I have a really bad feeling about this one, and that this isn't wT
This is just horrific no matter how it happened. Personally I wouldn't leave a 2 year old in a car by themselves, and especially not a running car, no matter what the temps are.
I have seen news reports in the last couple days on cars overheating on the highways and in driveways, parking lots with the AC running full blast, so that is possible. I just don't understand why anyone would intentionally leave any child alone in a car for half an hour. It makes no sense.

Yes, he lost my sympathy when he decided to leave his sleeping daughter in the car. He lives in Arizona, there’s a heat wave with temperatures above 105 degrees for pity’s sake!

BTW, in Arizona there’s no law prohibiting leaving a child in a car, running or not. IMO that needs to change. I’m also in favor of immediately taking blood to rule out impairment from drug or alcohol use.

Just because a caregiver is remorseful and acknowledges their mistake it shouldn’t negate their reckless behavior when they intentionally left their child in danger.
MOO
100% agree. This was an intentional act, not an accident. Even if the baby were sleeping, he knew that didn't mean she would be sleeping even 5 minutes later. Horrible decision by this father, and no, remorse doesn't excuse the involuntary manslaughter of your own baby girl.

I'm always perplexed by family statements about "please, we need the accused home with us" what is the point really?

What accused person out there doesn't have a spouse or a family or friends or an employer who wishes they were able to be home instead?
Isn't quite a bit of weight put on whether the person will return for court dates? I think he was assessed by the judge as someone who would show up as ordered.

jmo

I have seen news reports in the last couple days on cars overheating on the highways and in driveways, parking lots with the AC running full blast, so that is possible. I just don't understand why anyone would intentionally leave any child alone in a car for half an hour. It makes no sense.
Wasn’t half an hour though was it. I mean, 30 minutes is 30 minutes too long IMO, but he left her for hours and that bloody baffles me.

I'm always perplexed by family statements about "please, we need the accused home with us" what is the point really?

What accused person out there doesn't have a spouse or a family or friends or an employer who wishes they were able to be home instead?
To me, it sounds like she is either the sole provider or primary income and if he’s not home to watch the children… how will she go to work? MOO

If my thought is true, then wow, I’m just jaw dropped about that thought process. I wouldn’t want him around the other children… especially alone, ever again. I’m not sure I’m getting maternal vibes from her but that’s just MOO and subject to change

To me, it sounds like she is either the sole provider or primary income and if he’s not home to watch the children… how will she go to work? MOO

If my thought is true, then wow, I’m just jaw dropped about that thought process. I wouldn’t want him around the other children… especially alone, ever again. I’m not sure I’m getting maternal vibes from her but that’s just MOO and subject to change
Same.

Assume family will step in to care take. I imagine court and police officers will be checking on him. I can’t imagine a scenario where he won’t serve jail time. If I were him, I’d plead guilty immediately and start the sentence. Then he can be around when the kids are still at home. His life is already going to a living hell regardless. May as well get it done.

There’s a good documentary about babies being left to die in cars on Amazon Prime - Fatal Distraction. Cooper Harris’ mom is in it as well as other parents/couples. It’s amazing the forgiveness a lot of the offenders received.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kendybee
Back