Arizona girl, 2, left in car by father on 109-degree day and is found dead

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Something else from that link that stood out to me:

"The child described instances where the father had left her in the car while playing video games and the mother had reprimanded him for such behavior.
“...he still drinks too much beer… and he keeps leaving us in the car when my mom told him to stop doing that. That’s how he made my baby sister die,” one of the children said in the court document."

These poor kids...I'm so saddened by all they've witnessed and experienced
And their lives are at risk now. Why isn't AZ removing him or removing them?

Those other children, witnesses, are endangered by being in that home. It is unacceptable. I am going to write and call the governor. Someone needs to intervene before this tragedy gets worse.

There has clearly been coercion of one or more of the minor children by one or more of the parents, in the intent to give false information to LE. This makes the children witnesses whose information is critical in sending him to prison, probably for life.

These children are really at risk. He must be removed from that home. Someone has to put these children into a situation where they cannot be harmed or further manipulated, by either parent.

I agree, by my experience CPS would’ve done zip, but doctors are mandated reporters. She had an obligation as their mother and as a doctor to do something. His actions weren’t going to improve. As she texted his behavior has gotten worse. She could’ve had live in help but as long as he had access to those girls they were at risk. Short of staying with them 24/7 herself she could not protect them from their father. LE & the courts would not have taken her word or even the word of their girls. This was a tragedy waiting to happen for years.
She said she had been talking @ him @ drinking for 3 years but had a 2 year old. Mom may need DV counseling but I don't buy that she had no power to protect such that it was useless to try. Often in coercive relationships the woman has no means of support, opposite here. Plus he had already lost custody of 1 child. She had the money to at least try for a better outcome, life is precious. He has possible family annihilator vibes, why has he not been removed? Or the children removed to family?

Was it the right thing to do in this case? You know these people; I (probably) don't.
I don't know the Scholtes so I have no idea what Dr. Scholtes reported, what she actually knew when, and what safety precautions she may have tried to put in place. I also don't know if the prior court case went his way because of his family connections or if the judge was swayed by the potential physician stepmom. (Dr. Scholtes was likely a resident working 80 hour weeks for minimum wage or less during at least part of the period the stepdaughter lived there.)

As for my SIL I suppose that only she knows her truth but I don't believe that she told her child to lie. My husband and I have legitimate concerns about our niece's current safety and no one on his side of the family has been allowed to see her in almost 9 months. We pray she is safe we don't have the power to do much else.

IMO MOO

Sholtes reportedly shoplifted a case of beer earlier the day his daughter died. (Link to article also in quote below.

Investigators were able to obtain surveillance video from July 9th, the day the Scholtes’ daughter died. They determined he was at a local grocery store prior without his children with him likely left in the car, before returning to the home he stopped at a gas station, walked inside, and was seen on video entering the restroom with a case of beer, he walked out beer in hand never purchasing the items.

It’s unknown if he was intoxicated when he returned home.

Often that involves financial dependence, but here it was the perp who did not work.
Some details here are now and pretty explosive.

Almost unbelievable. Those poor kids.

IMO MOO

But for HER actions, he would be in jail right now. SHE pleaded for him to be released, SHE is paying for his lawyer and SHE pressured her very young kids to lie to the police to protect the killer of their baby sister. SHE has directly put their lives at risk by having him back in the home NOW. Both parents are a risk to those little helpless girls. How can they process and grieve when they must be terrified, still?

The only situation that really helps is if her parents are so reliable that she could report the husband and temporarily leave her kids with the parents knowing she can 100% rely on them. But we don’t know what her situation was in this regard. Any other option takes time and energy. It is the era when a nuclear family doesn’t exist, when women finally got the career options but if they also want to be the mothers, they are on their own.
Which reminds me… remember that DM article that chronicled the family’s travels? I wonder who watched Parker when the family went to Banff with the older daughters and then the couple only trips to Europe, Seattle and Sedona? It must have been someone trustworthy, right?

I also wonder if Chris struggled with being a stay at home dad in terms of his position in the family. Did he feel “second class?” Did his wife have to make it up with fun trips for just the two of them?

Erika and Chris took frequent holidays in the past year - posting about their adventures on social media.

They went skiing in Banff in February, with their older daughters in tow, and took a beach holiday to Cancun in March with the whole family.

The couple also traveled through Europe in June, Seattle in October, and Sedona in June last year, just the two of them.

The toxicology screen is negative for alcohols or drugs of abuse. There is some note about a presumptive positive for caffeine, but it does not appear it was sent for confirmatory testing for caffeine. Not clear why this would be tested.

"One of the kids said Scholtes had left them in the car alone about 59 times in the past."
This is sort of an odd statement. It presumably would come from the 9 year old. I wonder how they came to the number of 59. Did it correspond with a number of times he was the babysitter and have the children in the car - as if LE went through a calendar to determine how many days he was taking care of the children. It sounds as though he ALWAYS left the kids alone in the car. Awful.
I assume LE asked her how many? She said a lot. They said more than 20? More than 50? And she said 59. That’s how my kids would have maybe answered that. Just because it’s a big number to them.

Was one of them for going 138mph?

How did she know he was going 138 mph, as she says in her text? Does the vehicle have some kind of excessive speed text or alert? Can she monitor the car's trip route and speed?
Good question! I know there are devices/apps a lot of parents install on their vehicles when their teens start driving so they can monitor driving activity. A lot of insurance companies also have them available and will offer you a discounted insurance rate if you agree to install/use it. I’d love to know if she had this in use on his car.

So more and more info comes out and I’m sure there’s more. Enough to change the charge to murder.

I do not envy the position of mom. She is married to an alcoholic who constantly endangered the lives of her kids, treated her poorly, yet she did nothing other than scold him that we know of now. Obviously reprimanding doesn’t work, or nobody would have addiction issues.

It’s difficult being in this dysfunctional relationship, but she had another baby with him (she says his drinking has been going on for 3 yrs so when she was pregnant?). Now she has to live with this forever. How does one move on?

I assume LE asked her how many? She said a lot. They said more than 20? More than 50? And she said 59. That’s how my kids would have maybe answered that. Just because it’s a big number to them.

Yes, that's how a kid would answer. I'm surprised LE put that in the arrest affidavit. It's a point the defense could contest.

"Multiple times" would have been an adequate description to introduce this evidence/

Good question! I know there are devices/apps a lot of parents install on their vehicles when their teens start driving so they can monitor driving activity. A lot of insurance companies also have them available and will offer you a discounted insurance rate if you agree to install/use it. I’d love to know if she had this in use on his car.

Even family tracking/sharing apps like Life360 can show you a user's speed

So more and more info comes out and I’m sure there’s more. Enough to change the charge to murder.

I do not envy the position of mom. She is married to an alcoholic who constantly endangered the lives of her kids, treated her poorly, yet she did nothing other than scold him that we know of now. Obviously reprimanding doesn’t work, or nobody would have addiction issues.

It’s difficult being in this dysfunctional relationship, but she had another baby with him (she says his drinking has been going on for 3 yrs so when she was pregnant?). Now she has to live with this forever. How does one move on?

She becomes committed to the safety and security of the remaining two daughters.

CS and Parker got home a little before 1:00 pm on July 9, but he was seen shoplifting the case of beer earlier that same day. So was Parker with him when he was stealing a case of beer? Or did he go out alone first thing Tuesday morning, before the errand with Parker, to ensure he could shoplift his beer without the distraction a small child brings? Is there a third option I’m not thinking of?

CS and Parker got home a little before 1:00 pm on July 9, but he was seen shoplifting the case of beer earlier that same day. So was Parker with him when he was stealing a case of beer? Or did he go out alone first thing Tuesday morning, before the errand with Parker, to ensure he could shoplift his beer without the distraction a small child brings? Is there a third option I’m not thinking of?

I read this as after the grocery store, he went to the gas station and shoplifted a case of beer, apparently drinking some of the 24 cans of beer in the restroom without being detected, and then left with one can of beer in his hand.

I read this as little Parker being all alone in the car during all of this time. It's clear that Parker was never a distraction for him at all. He was not concerned about her at all during this trip, or afterwards.

Last edited:
I think Parker was already strapped in her car seat, and wasn't removed from it until after she was dead, whatever else he did in the mean time.

MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unnamedTV
Back