Armchair Psych discussion of Jodi Arias

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we know if there is sex tape? SMK: the pictures of the 2 naked Jodi has hair colored. Would the pictures would be in sequence on camera? If so, then the hair colour would lead you to believe that pictures were from the day Travis died.

The witness from the car rental place said her hair was blond. She probably had it dyed when she stopped to get her nails done.

I thought that these therapists were just being lazy, just wanting to chat with the easy patients:

You're not 100% wrong, because there are plenty of them. I think another big part is there's a high probability the therapist is going to be verbally abused, and at some point be split. Which probably plays a part in why standard therapy not working for us. The therapist will either let us go as a patient or we'll split them and quit.

I can't speak for all dbt therapist, but mine was really good. He didn't allow himself to fall into traps, let me be frustrated/vent, remained calm, and he never gave up on me. Which in someways confused me. I suspect I was trying to push his buttons and get him to tell me to **** off and not come back. I can't tell you how many times I walked out of that group or tried to quit. He let me walk out too. It was the right thing to do. He basically stated he hoped I'd reconsider but if I had to leave it was ok. I don't really recall my state of mind at the time but there was probably some part of me that wanted him to stop me, and that there is the manipulation (from me).

It's best to do a dbt program, and then find a therapist that is somewhat knowledgeable and willing to work with you, and this is where you'll run into the lazy therapist. They do exist..
I had NO idea how involved all of this can be. I hope for many people some of the group meetings and things are covered by insurance? There must be many people in need of this treatment.....thanks once more.

Unfortunately, I don't think many insurances cover it. It's too bad because dbt is showing to be successful in helping people that don't have bpd. I'm not sure, but I think there were a few in my group that didn't have it.

Unfortunately, this is true, but slowly changing. Many therapist / doctors are not skilled in dbt which has only been around since the early 00's. Even then it wasn't widespread and it still isn't in all areas of the country. It is growing, and is showing to be roughly 60% success rate.

Prior to dbt we were, and still are, seen as difficult patients without much hope for success, and creating a lot of frustrations for doctors/therapists. In regards to your daughter she really needs to see a therapist with some knowledge of dbt and willing to work with her on it. I'm not sure how much you know about dbt here's a workbook that you can buy off of amazon.
Amazon.com: The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook for Anxiety: Breaking Free from Worry, Panic, PTSD, and Other Anxiety Symptoms (9781572249547): Alexander L. Chapman PhD RPsych, Kim L. Gratz PhD, Matthew Tull PhD, Terence Keane PhD: Books

and you can also visit this website which is the complete dbt program online for free..

www.dbtselfhelp.com

have questions pm me.

I have this book and am presently working on one of the chapters.

The best course of action is to find a dbt program, complete that, and then find a therapist that has some knowledge of dbt. I've had success with it in some areas and then in other areas I haven't really had any. I think though anyone that takes the program will benefit in someway. I should also mention it's EXPENSIVE just the group meetings alone cost $200.00/month..
I can vouch for the expensive part! $800 per month for weekly individual therapy plus weekly group here. Out of network, so not covered by insurance until we hit the annual $7,000 deductable. Worth every penny, though. It's the only therapy we've found where she "gets it"! I don't begrudge the therapist any of the cost. She's always been available to my DD via phone or text between sessions. Fortunately, DD hasn't abused that accessibility and has kept full "emergency" access.

We count our blessings that we've been able to find and afford the right care. Unfortunately many cannot. If they do find help, the waiting lists can stretch to years, or the cost is prohibitive. If it were cancer, heart problems, diabetes, or any other physical ailment that could be confirmed by medical tests, we as a society find a way to treat that child. Not so with mental illness. I can't imagine knowing that a therapy might give a family both hope and relief and not being able to access it! <<Rant over:silenced:>>

Unfortunately, I don't think many insurances cover it. It's too bad because dbt is showing to be successful in helping people that don't have bpd. I'm not sure, but I think there were a few in my group that didn't have it.
DBT is being used in treating bipolar patients with some success. We first started exploring DBT when my DD was still carrying the bipolar label but before her BPD diagnosis. That of course begs the question...is DBT effective with bipolar patients, or are the bipolar patients for whom DBT is effective actually misdiagnosed?

I can vouch for the expensive part! $800 per month for weekly individual therapy plus weekly group here. Out of network, so not covered by insurance until we hit the annual $7,000 deductable. Worth every penny, though. It's the only therapy we've found where she "gets it"! I don't begrudge the therapist any of the cost. She's always been available to my DD via phone or text between sessions. Fortunately, DD hasn't abused that accessibility and has kept full "emergency" access.

That sounds about right. I was only able to afford group, and they allowed me to keep the therapist I had been seeing. I've heard of some programs that require you to have a dbt therapist and stop seeing your individual therapist while taking dbt. If that had been the case I never would've been able to afford it. I did not have emergency access, but I suspect one the dbt group leaders would have returned my call if I need them.

We count our blessings that we've been able to find and afford the right care. Unfortunately many cannot. If they do find help, the waiting lists can stretch to years, or the cost is prohibitive. If it were cancer, heart problems, diabetes, or any other physical ailment that could be confirmed by medical tests, we as a society find a way to treat that child. Not so with mental illness. I can't imagine knowing that a therapy might give a family both hope and relief and not being able to access it! <<Rant over:silenced:>>

I think I had a 6 month wait. I live in a big city and I was only able to find 2 places that offered the dbt course. I agree with 100% regarding mental health care. What I find most frustrating is when there is a tragic event hearing people say, they should have seen someone for their mental health needs and can't understand why they didn't.. Duh! They can't afford it.

Okay, but the most compelling evidence the prosecution has presented are the pictures capturing both the sex they had earlier in the day along with the brutal images of Travis.

The pictures only show a single subject. Jodi naked and Travis naked. There are no photos of them having sex or even together - other than after she kills him and her pants leg is shown and the back of his head is shown as she drags him. She could have taken those nude pics of herself using a timer while Travis was in another room. There are no photos of them actually having sex.

Unfortunately, this is true, but slowly changing. Many therapist / doctors are not skilled in dbt which has only been around since the early 00's. Even then it wasn't widespread and it still isn't in all areas of the country. It is growing, and is showing to be roughly 60% success rate.

Prior to dbt we were, and still are, seen as difficult patients without much hope for success, and creating a lot of frustrations for doctors/therapists. In regards to your daughter she really needs to see a therapist with some knowledge of dbt and willing to work with her on it. I'm not sure how much you know about dbt here's a workbook that you can buy off of amazon.
Amazon.com: The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook for Anxiety: Breaking Free from Worry, Panic, PTSD, and Other Anxiety Symptoms (9781572249547): Alexander L. Chapman PhD RPsych, Kim L. Gratz PhD, Matthew Tull PhD, Terence Keane PhD: Books

and you can also visit this website which is the complete dbt program online for free..

www.dbtselfhelp.com

have questions pm me.

Ricochet--

Thanks for the book above with the link. I ordered it and 2 pre-teen workbooks for my niece with juvenile BPD.
So far, they have only been doing weekly therapy with CBT (a la Marsha Lineham style) for her and have not included any medications although her Father is pushing for that but her Mom not so much. I've heard some good results with therapy, DBT, and some meds like Celexa, Lexapro, and/or Wellbutin....but not sure on pre-teens. If you don't mind sharing, how do you feel about meds incorporated with therapy for BPD (adults and youngsters)?

If you don't feel like sharing, I completely understand. I think your contributions to this thread have been enormous. I greatly admire how you were able to define some of the difficulties with therapy. :rocker:

Ricochet--

Thanks for the book above with the link.

Your welcome!!

her and have not included any medications although her Father is pushing for that but her Mom not so much. I've heard some good results with therapy, DBT, and some meds like Celexa, Lexapro, and/or Wellbutin....but not sure on pre-teens. If you don't mind sharing, how do you feel about meds incorporated with therapy for BPD (adults and youngsters)?

A med will not "cure" a personality disorder, but are often used to treat symptoms that are treatable. I'm not sure I've ever talked to a borderline that isn't on some kind of med.. ie.. if one of the symptoms is anxiety you might be given something like klonopin or if you're depressed an anti depressant. A lot of us take Lamictal which is used as a mood stabalizer, and I'd recommend asking about that. To the best of my knowledge I've experienced no side effects or if I have they're insignificant because I'm unaware of them.

I guess it just depends.. If she seems to be depressed, anxiety, mood swings etc they could be helpful. If she doesn't experience any of that then go without or at least ask the doctor in what way would they be helpful.. A med will not be helpful with a pattern of behavior ie. if she splits people or black / white thinking. For behaviorial you need something like dbt. For whatever reason she has developed dysfunctional coping skills... She is coping in the only way she knows. Dbt teaches skills such as distress tolerance , emotion regulation, mindfulness and interpersonal relationships. Emotion regulation is helpful in looking at our emotions and where they come from. When we rage, I can almost guarantee you the trigger for that rage is fear of losing something..

If you don't feel like sharing, I completely understand. I think your contributions to this thread have been enormous. I greatly admire how you were able to define some of the difficulties with therapy. :rocker:

Thank - you and I have no problems sharing..

http://www.janetillman.com/emotion_regulation.pdf this is from dbt...

The pictures only show a single subject. Jodi naked and Travis naked. There are no photos of them having sex or even together - other than after she kills him and her pants leg is shown and the back of his head is shown as she drags him. She could have taken those nude pics of herself using a timer while Travis was in another room. There are no photos of them actually having sex.
Good point!

Yesterday was very disparaging to me and I had a hard time watching trial. Travis character was ripped to shreds by Alice. How his family sits through that without emotional reaction in court is amazing. The tome will come for them to have impact statements when Jodi is sentenced. It is there that I hope they can release the emotion they have been forced to contain in this never ending trial. Alice L is a great source of information for domestic violence. She has failed to place any responceability on Jodi and the domestic violence committed to Travis. She is hitting for the wrong team but I have learned from her time on stand. She may well have changed the jury's position around Jodi's killing Travis. Mr. M has a challenge before him to refute jodi's claims of abuse and fog. Alice seems to be a well adjusted witness that won't be rattled by the prosecutor. Let us all pray that he is able to restore Travis's integrity of which Jodi has not.

This past few weeks I was trying to figure out who was sitting beside mr. Martenez and then yesterday realized it was the detective...dah. Little has been said on this thread about the great detective. His interigation of Jodi was the best I have personally ever seen. He was not forceful nor co-worse of. He was patient and intelligent. His interigation should be used as example of how interrogations should be to those in or entering law enforcement. IMHO

I don't think she can plead insanity. She has some type of behavior problem but not one that would negate the crime she committed. If correct someone posted only axis 1 diagnosis are eligible for insanity defense. She would be axis 2 if indeed she has a personality disorder. She wanted to plead to second degree but prosecution refused. Now I wish they would have accepted and saved Travis the character assassination and recealation about his life that should not have been revealed for public scrutiny. Maybe the family wished to see her tried for murder 1. If theyhad any input to the charge we may never know.

I did reply to someone who asked why she didn't pled insane but there post is gone. Lol

This past few weeks I was trying to figure out who was sitting beside mr. Martenez and then yesterday realized it was the detective...dah. Little has been said on this thread about the great detective. His interigation of Jodi was the best I have personally ever seen. He was not forceful nor co-worse of. He was patient and intelligent. His interigation should be used as example of how interrogations should be to those in or entering law enforcement. IMHO
Do you mean Flores? He is very soft mannered and good....

The story as told by one of her parents of the marijuana growing incident is very telling for me. Basically they said when JA was in the 8th grade, they found out that Jodi and some of her friends had what I would call, a juvenile criminal enterprise growing marijuana. Jodi's parents found a potted plant on their roof(!) and they called the police on her as a statement of how serious this was. Jodi must have been a very rebellious child and young teen. I suspect when her parents called the cops on her, it broke whatever trust they had with her. It may have actually turned her even more against them. Her mother stated that when Jodi had moved to another house Jodi didn't want her to visit her there as she was afraid her Mom would snoop though her things. This family traveled a very rocky road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela