Australia - 3 dead after eating wild mushrooms, Leongatha, Victoria, Aug 2023 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if EP says “half truth”, which could be later explained? “At the movies” could be “sitting in the basement, at home movie theater, watching the movies”. So if no one doubts, they are at the local cinema. But if checked seriously, “home, watching the movies”.

Likewise, she might have bought something in the Asian store, but not mushrooms at all. In our local Asian chain store, one can buy food, household items, cleaning products, makeup, even glassware. For all I know, she could have bought a wasp killer.

The beauty of buying some “Chinese herbal remedy” is that you have no clue what’s there. Years ago, before I visited dad, I’d go to a local Chinatown store and buy something for dad’s neighbor. Some Chinese remedy against alopecia, and he claimed that was the only one that ever worked. In hindsight, I’d think, it was finasteride, since it worked. But, in a different bottle, with Chinese hieroglyphs, it looked mysterious.

So Erin could have well bought something in her grocery store, but not mushrooms. In a package with Chinese letters, who can tell what it says, and she can later claim, it was a mistake. If I were LE, I’d check what types of rat poison local Asian grocery stores might sell, for example. Or herbicides, or something along the same line. Because I wonder if this is what she bought, and told half-truth.
Taking a wild guess here … I’ll bet they don’t sell any kind of Asian plant-rat-insect killer anything at the Asian grocery. Just thinking that Aussie trade import would say “no” to that.

EP reportedly discarded the food dehydrator, not simply in a local trash bin, but at a rubbish dump. (Somewhere I read the tip was some distance from her home, but I can't find that now. Does anyone have a link for that statement, please?)

From her statement, reported by ABC NEWS: Ms Patterson said she was at the hospital with her children "discussing the food dehydrator" when her ex-husband, the son of the dead couple, asked: "Is that what you used to poison them?"

Worried that she might lose custody of the couple's children, Ms Patterson said she then panicked and dumped the dehydrator at the tip.

And yet, she reportedly provided the remains of the Beef Wellington for examination.

From the same ABC NEWS article: She said she preserved what was left of the lunch and gave it to hospital toxicologists for examination.

I'm wobbling on the fence a little for the first time as I ponder what these two actions might tell us, as it seems bizarre to ditch the dehydrator but produce meal leftovers.

The dehydrator: Did she dispose of it from fear that traces of toxic mushrooms or their spores may be found in the dehydrator? Or is she innocent and overreacting irrationally from panic at SP's suggestion?

Providing remnants of the beef dish for examination: If asked, she could have said there were no leftovers. But she didn't. She handed them over. Does this suggest the poison was not hidden in the main course but elsewhere? Or does it indicate both a toxic and a non-toxic dish were prepared? Or is she innocent of intentionally poisoning anything?

The remaining toxic beef Wellington, the poisoned one, went into the toilet. The clean one was leftovers.

This is a line I can't get past because no one serves guests like that. It was a sit-down meal with a fancy main food.
Hostess always sits last, plenty opportunity to open cupboard and remove a plate that already has food on it, that hasn’t been poisoned- just like on a cooking shows. EP says to herself … “here’s one I prepared earlier …..”

EP reportedly discarded the food dehydrator, not simply in a local trash bin, but at a rubbish dump. (Somewhere I read the tip was some distance from her home, but I can't find that now. Does anyone have a link for that statement, please?)

It was stated in the Under Investigation show.
The private detective said that there are two rubbish dumps in the area.
One that is closer to EP's house, and a second one that is further away from her house. (They showed a map with the locations.)
EP is said to have dumped the dehydrator at the further away rubbish dump.

Do you think it’s a possibility that Simon was teasing her when he said is that what you used to poison them?

We don’t know what tone of voice he used but thinking of the timeline, would that fit in with before DC mushrooms were suspected?

Knowing she was a keen forager he might have assumed she’s used foraged mushrooms and accidentally used the wrong ones or teased her about her ability to pick safe ones.

Am I grasping here or is this reasonable?
I wondered something similar. Not teasing but maybe she did forage mushrooms and he didn't like it because he felt like she wasn't very good at it or safe about it. maybe she liked to cook but wasn't always safe and he accused her of poisoning them in that sense--like an accident but something he had warned her about before. I have a sibling that doesn't follow food safety guide lines like I do and is apt to grab some random eild plant and eat it or make tea out of it and I might say--"you're going to poison us!" if he served something I felt was off or unsafe.

And @RickshawFan , afaik the children are old enough NOT to require a chaperone in a “safe” small town Cinema.

I recall going with friends to the movies once or twice at that age, in a busy metropolitan area. We caught the train in and back, and it was the done thing to do. Going to the movies with your parent when you’re a teenager is most certainly not the “cool” thing to do.
Me too, at about eleven years old.

EP can't decide which story to tell till she knows what LE knows.
Perhaps that is why LE are being so tight-lipped, as they don’t want Erin to know what they have on her.

Also, by this time LE would know that the media has swamped the town of Leongatha and are presumably hanging on anything the cops were to say about the investigation, so the police have seemingly opted to just say nothing.

Isn't it possible that she was an odd duck and foraged mushrooms and threw the dehydrator away in a panic because she thought maybe some batch of mushrooms might have been devils cap and now she's just accidentally killed her in laws and her ex hates her and they all think she's a weirdo already, so they'll think she did it on purpose?

She clearly had a fear of losing her children.
Their separation, was formalised in January '21.
Following years of separation.
He got sick in '22, they were living apart unless imaginary friends start saying she poisoned him.
She nursed him, reluctantly, she says following his sickness.
I presume she nursed him in her own home.
that was last year.
she says she declined to reconcile with him at that time and I see no reason to disbelieve her on that.

i don't get the impression that her social life is 'lit' exactly.

I think her life probably revolves around her children and not much else.

I don't see her as a confident woman and i have no idea what she has lived through.
i can think of many that could produce a state of fear in any woman under the sun, depending upon the methodologies used to apply the 'pressure'.

Just speculating.

(Just for further information)
With regard to a lack of confidence, in 2018 Simon apparently posted on FB that EP does not like to have her photo taken.

Before she opened the door to The Australian reporter (John Ferguson) last week, she asked if he had a camera. He did not have a camera, so EP opened the door.

The article also says that Simon is an avid traveller and adventure photographer, as well as a civil engineer, and that he knows best how acrimonious the dynamic of the family has become - that it has split friends of his and EP's.

[bbm]

Victoria Police's forensic department has long been under siege from demands by eager detectives.

The courts are awash with cases delayed by overworked forensic staff, with some cases pushed back by anywhere up to a year.

With nothing linked to the mushroom deaths even before a court, and the media storm surrounding the case, force command is understood to be eager to push the forensic tests through sooner rather than later.

While testing delays are cause for some concern, police sources have told Daily Mail Australia detectives will hardly have their 'cue in the rack'.

It has been more than two weeks since Victoria Police provided a public update on its investigation.

Back then, Detective Inspector Dean Thomas gave the media mixed reports on how they were treating Ms Patterson.

The seasoned detective started his briefing by declaring the deaths of her relatives were 'not suspicious'.

'The deaths are unexplained and for that purpose we are involved and we are working as hard as we can to try and identify why these deaths have happened and the circumstances surrounding them,' he said.

But under fire from reporters, Inspector Thomas provided a stumbling backflip.

'The 48-year old is, well, she is (a suspect), um she was, and she is because, um, she cooked those meals for us, for those people that were present,' he said.

He said homicide squad detectives would work to get to the bottom of the case.

'We've still got a lot of work to do. We need to understand what's caused these symptoms, what's caused ultimately the deaths of these three people,' the detective said.

'We need to understand what has occurred, what is the cause of the injuries ... what has caused their deaths and the circumstances surrounding all of that. So it's a very complex matter ... it's really interesting. You know four people turn up and three of them have passed away.'

Reporters have spent much of August camped outside Ms Patterson's home, with her estranged husband Simon Patterson hiring a publicist to try and fend off requests from around the world.

In the background, detectives will be analysing Ms Patterson's phone records and movements from the past few weeks and maybe months.

Her claims provided in that written statement will be scrutinised.

While tech experts trawl the data, officers on the ground will go about talking to anyone who may be able to help guide them closer to the truth.

Detectives will be closely monitoring the recovery of Mr Wilkinson, who remains gravely ill at the Austin Hospital.

What he says will likely assist detectives one way or the other in how the case progresses.

The highly publicised illness of Ms Patterson's former husband will be thoroughly examined, with officers working to rule in or out any links to her cooking.

IMO, going by the things he's said, the 'seasoned' DI Dean Thomas sounds like he's out of his depth when it comes to making statements to the media.

Oh seasoned investigator has definitely imo gone off-script, and off-message.

While testing delays are cause for some concern, police sources have told Daily Mail Australia detectives will hardly have their 'cue in the rack'.
Does anyone know what this means, to “hardly have their cue in the rack”??

Thanks in advance x

When you have guests? When the host prepared a special meal, one that makes for a special presentation? They plate it up and put the plates somewhere so the presumably seated guests have to get up and select a plate?
Yes, every time. We all stand in a semi circle and pray first and then my mother dishes out the plates and we all go sit down at the fancy table.

With regard to a lack of confidence, in 2018 Simon apparently posted on FB that EP does not like to have her photo taken.

Before she opened the door to The Australian reporter (John Ferguson) last week, she asked if he had a camera. He did not have a camera, so EP opened the door.
Maybe she’s confident, but she’s also very discreet.

Or maybe she is not confident and also very discreet.

Or maybe she is, as you said, not confident.

All my opinion only.

Last edited:
Isn't it possible that she was an odd duck and foraged mushrooms and threw the dehydrator away in a panic because she thought maybe some batch of mushrooms might have been devils cap and now she's just accidentally killed her in laws and her ex hates her and they all think she's a weirdo already, so they'll think she did it on purpose?
IMO Simon will never take her back now.

What a pickle she is in.

Jmo

Last edited:
Is there any consensus about when EP and SP separated?
In SP’s Facebook post during his 2022 stay in hospital with his “gut illness” SP refers to his wife and kids coming to visit him.
Yet it has been stated (by EP?) that she “ reluctantly agreed” to care for him during his recovery. Seems a bit strange to me. Her version is that she decided not to reconcile with him after this period of taking care of him.
Also could his parents not have cared for him if he and EP were separating?
(snipped & BBM)
I think she may have overstated the extent of her care. He stayed with his parents and she dropped in and ran a few errands for him and this and that--maybe? And then he accused her of using his illness to get closer to him, and she angrily responded that she wouldn't have him back in a million years. And then they all calmed down and returned to their peaceful separation. And then--I don't know. Were they really thinking of undivorcing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper