Australia - 3 dead after eating wild mushrooms, Leongatha, Victoria, Aug 2023 #6 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even IF Erin suffers from a psychiatric illness, I think her chances of a successful mental health defense are very slim.

She must prove that at the time of the alleged offending,

1) … the accused was suffering from a mental impairment that had the effect that –

(a) he or she did not know the nature and quality of the conduct; or
(b) he or she did not know the conduct was wrong…

Her written statement and conduct in front of the media has clearly established that she knows the nature of the alleged conduct and how wrong it is. She said that the media has painted her as “an evil witch” - which in my view establishes that she is all too aware of the serious nature of the allegations and by stating that she is innocent she gives weight to the proposition that she knows that poisoning people is illegal.

Not a leg to stand on in terms of an insanity defense.

Even IF Erin suffers from a psychiatric illness, I think her chances of a successful mental health defense are very slim.

She must prove that at the time of the alleged offending,

1) … the accused was suffering from a mental impairment that had the effect that –

(a) he or she did not know the nature and quality of the conduct; or
(b) he or she did not know the conduct was wrong…

Her written statement and conduct in front of the media has clearly established that she knows the nature of the alleged conduct and how wrong it is. She said that the media has painted her as “an evil witch” - which in my view establishes that she is all too aware of the serious nature of the allegations and by stating that she is innocent she gives weight to the proposition that she knows that poisoning people is illegal.

Not a leg to stand on in terms of an insanity defense.
Wonder whether the perceived 'evil witch' comment was projection??
How she indeed sees herself and subsequently assumes so does everyone else.

moo

moo
With only media reports to go on, she seems to see herself as highly intelligent, especially when compared to the ‘barely literate’ ‘country folk’ of Leongatha. This is of course a very narrow and limited slice of a much larger whole.

Only an assumption, speculating Ellery.

Poisoning people killing them makes you not right in the head in my books.
Look, I see what you’re saying.

I’m sort of on the fence about if she has or hasn’t done this intentionally.

But if she has done what police have charged her with, one would have to wonder about her state of mind.

And according to police charges, these attempts to murder her ex husband (if in fact are proven) have allegedly been ongoing for a couple of years.

I think, and correct me if I’m wrong, in Australia we are so used to reading about men who kill their wives or men who are violent and try to control and hurt their partners, this potential situation is so different to the narrative we are used to reading in the press but of course, is, if true, incredibly serious.

moo
I don’t think it was a projection. I think she was trying to say that the Press were on a witch-hunt.

One thing I really like about the press is that they are able to keep the pressure on a suspect, and on an investigation.

IMHO

What? I'm sure they have proof she intended him to be there/was upset he didn't show.

She must've hated these people so much she didn't even care what happens to her, because how the hell did she think she'd get away with poisoning an entire family.
I think EP has such a grandiose opinion of herself that any plan she hatched up could only be bullet proof because it was her plan.

EP will be held at Dame Phyllis Frost Centre, which is a maximum security women's prison with up to 600 inmates.
I'm guessing that her lawyer will be petitioning the Supreme Court for bail.

Erin Patterson’s new life in jail revealed in Victoria’s maximum security prison

Looks like Dame Phyllis Frost Centre (in Deer Park) is a 4 hour drive from the Leongatha area. Just wondering if her kids would want to visit her and how much of a trek it would be.

imo

Last edited:
I think EP has such a grandiose opinion of herself that any plan she hatched up could only be bullet proof because it was her plan.
I don't see grandiose at all. If EP was a man, he would be considered a man defending himself.

There's a low tolerance for women to reveal their intelligence, anger or defiance.

There's a strong expectation for her to roll over and accept the consequences, whether or not she did this intentionally.

EP will be held at Dame Phyllis Frost Centre, which is a maximum security prison. I'm guessing that her lawyer will be petitioning the Supreme Court for bail.

Erin Patterson’s new life in jail revealed in Victoria’s maximum security prison
Even though the magistrate who presided over Erin’s first court hearing had no power to grant bail, he did ask Erin’s lawyer, Bill Doogue if there would be a bail application. His answer was “Unfortunately, no.”

If she feels her prospects of avoiding a conviction on every charge is slim, she may wish to start the clock ticking away at any custodial sentence she might receive.

Apparently she is being held in isolation from other prisoners in maximum security at the Dame Phyllis Frost Centre. These are conditions that will take a significant toll upon almost anyone’s mental health, even if they are (reported to be) very reclusive.

Even though the magistrate who presided over Erin’s first court hearing had no power to grant bail, he did ask Erin’s lawyer, Bill Doogue if there would be a bail application. His answer was “Unfortunately, no.”

If she feels her prospects of avoiding a conviction on every charge is slim, she may wish to start the clock ticking away at any custodial sentence she might receive.

Apparently she is being held in isolation from other prisoners in maximum security at the Dame Phyllis Frost Centre. These are conditions that will take a significant toll upon almost anyone’s mental health, even if they are (reported to be) very reclusive.

I wonder why they would put her in isolation because the crime she has been charged with doesn’t normally warrant such actions I thought? It’s not like she has access to food.

MOO

I wonder why they would put her in isolation because the crime she has been charged with doesn’t normally warrant such actions I thought? It’s not like she has access to food.

MOO
I think SouthAussie’s reply above could well be part of the reason. The news report I read stated that it was because she hasn’t been convicted.

An article on news.com.au states :

“Due to the seriousness of her charges she is unlikely to be allowed to mingle with the general prison population.”

Will she plead guilty for a plea deal? I guess that will depend on the brief of evidence that the prosecution assembles.

(And News Corp has coined a new moniker 'Mushroom Suspect'.)

It is unlikely that she will get bail due to the seriousness of her charges.

. . .

Ms Patterson is likely to languish in the tough conditions for more than a year, with her next court appearance scheduled for May.

Legal experts predict the case will drag out due to its complexity and seriousness of the charges.

If she pleads not guilty, it could take up to two and a half years before it gets to trial in Victoria’s Supreme Court. A guilty plea could see it resolved more quickly.

Will she plead guilty for a plea deal? I guess that will depend on the brief of evidence that the prosecution assembles.

. . .

Ms Patterson is likely to languish in the tough conditions for more than a year, with her next court appearance scheduled for May.

Legal experts predict the case will drag out due to its complexity and seriousness of the charges.

If she pleads not guilty, it could take up to two and a half years before it gets to trial in Victoria’s Supreme Court. A guilty plea could see it resolved more quickly.

I can’t imagine why she would plead guilty. She has strenuously denied the charges so far.

I do wonder if she’ll be able to afford to pay her top legal team for the next 2 years or so.

The irony is that she’s spending her own children’s inheritance on legal fees.

Jmo

I can’t imagine why she would plead guilty. She has strenuously denied the charges so far.

I do wonder if she’ll be able to afford to pay her top legal team for the next 2 years or so.

The irony is that she’s spending her own children’s inheritance on legal fees.

Jmo
If she depletes her assets beyond a certain point she will be able to get legal aid, and when facing charges like this you can get an excellent lawyer on the taxpayer’s dime.

The Claremont serial killer, Bradley Edwards is a case in point.

(And News Corp has coined a new moniker 'Mushroom Suspect'.)

. . .

Wow and there was me thinking that the wheels of justice would Move a lot more quickly than UK and U.S due to a smaller population.

Wow and there was me thinking that the wheels of justice would Move a lot more quickly than UK and U.S due to a smaller population.
Smaller population also means fewer courts and lawyers. It scales down proportionately. If we had as many courts and lawyers as a larger country, maybe we'd have them up the steps in a flash, but we don't.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member