Australia - Allison Baden-Clay, 43, Brisbane QLD, 19 April 2012 #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I read in my Boys Own Book of Crime Investigation the other day (sorry don't have a link to an online version) that often a fluorescent magentic dusting powder can be used to highlight prints on metal to give them a stronger contrast in order to be photographed. Just IMO MOO.

Mr Google gave me this link...still reading :)

Fingerprint powder

Fingerprint powders are fine powders used in dusting for fingerprints by crime scene investigators and others in law enforcement. The process of dusting for fingerprints involves various methods intended to get the particles of the powder to adhere to residue left by friction ridge skin on the fingers, palms, or feet.

Physical development of fingerprints using powders is just one of a selection of methods used to develop fingerprints. Fingerprints often leave residues of oils in the shape of the friction ridges, but the friction ridge skin itself does not secrete oils, and so some fingerprints will only leave a residue of amino acids and other compounds which the powder does not adhere to well. For this reason, 'dusting' is used as part of an array of techniques to develop fingerprints, but is often used on larger areas in a crime scene which cannot be removed for analysis, or cannot be subject to more rigorous analysis for other reasons.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fingerprint_powder"]Fingerprint powder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

With his apparent bad driving record, who would want to lend him a car? He will have to hire one soon to have this one repaired (although police may have given him direction not to repair the car as yet?)

haha, yes, that is true. I wouldn't be offering ours... we don't need insurance claims.:floorlaugh:

I wish the media would report on things that QPS have NOT done, i.e. not impounded other people's cars, not searched other specific homes, not confiscated other people's documents, laptops, etc., so that we can scratch them off the list of possibilities!!

Morning All!

I haven't posted for a while, but have been keeping up with you all...

I asked a friend of mine, who used to work in a car insurance assessment centre, what his thoughts were in relation to the damage on the Prado. Keep in mind, he was not a panel beater, but he was one of the "meet and greet" staff, when clients would drop their cars off to be repaired after an accident. Basically, his job was to make notes about the damage on the cars (including the clients' descriptions of how the damage occured), just prior to a professional assessor (i.e. panel beater) completing a detailed assessment.

So, these are his ideas about what may have caused the damage on the Prado:

* Bollard - very low speed impact; less likely to be metal/powder coated/concrete; more likely timber; if bollard was uprooted on impact, may have caused scratches to bonnet.

* Another vehicle - very low speed impact; for a car of this height, the scratches on the bonnet usually come from other vehicle's spare tyre, or spare tyre case.

Without being able to inspect the Prado's damage from a number of angles, it's difficult to really determine the type/cause of impact. My friend is really leaning towards it being a timber bollard. Apparently, a timber bollard would not remove much paint from the vehicle (unlike a metal/powder coated bollard, or another vehicle), but have enough weight to damage the front of a vehicle in the manner of the Prado's damage.

I found the timber bollard suggestion very interesting, because, from what I have noticed, they appear to be quite commonly placed in parking areas that front waterways/creeks. That's in my area, anyway. So, it makes me wonder if there are any timber bollards around the Kholo Creek area?

** All of the above is IMO and HOO (His Opinion Only) ***

That's not a scratch on the side - that's where the wheel arch has become unattached from the flares and there's just no paint there. same as on the front, where there is a crease in the mental and it's been pushed in, it's popped off the paint. The impact from the front has just buckled the passenger quarter panel and caused it.
I've crashed a lot of cars in my time ;)

The is true "expert opinion"!

:goodpost:

Amendment - This post has give some the impression that I am critiscising Zookyliz. Quite the opposite. I liked the idea that Zooky's misfortune with cars has provided her/him with valuable expert knowledge to contribute to the forum.

I'm genuinely impressed by the analysis. I know and care little about cars. The only thing that I know about them is that most have 4 wheels and engine and 2 or 4 doors, and they will get you from A to B if you are good to them.

<-------- Thread topic here

Many other posts: waaaay over there-------------->

Keep on topic please.

We have all wondered why Allison's initial disappearance sparked a major investigation from the start. Is the damage to the Prado one of the major things that alerted the police officers who first attended the house that morning?

We don't know the reasons GBC gave to the police for the dents but is his prang at Indooroopilly a few days later an attempt at clumsy driving skills and to cover any bruising that might have occured due to the bingle in the Prado? JMO

I had always thought it was far more likely that Allison's body had been placed further up the creek, and washed down by the heavy rains. Then last night with all the posts re water levels at the time, I started to doubt that.

I then found this post by Bayside really helpful in understanding rising water levels - thank you Bayside.

From Thread 17, post #872

I have since had my mind changed when it was explained to me that 10 cm of rainfall does not mean that it will only rise by that amount. Various factors determine how much the water level will rise.

If most of the rain is runoff then it follows the slope down to the streams and rivers and the water is concentrated into a much smaller area. The volume remains the same but if you decrease the area, the depth increases. So simply put a narrow river/creek will rise much higher than the rainfall level. 10 cm of rainfall can put the water level up as much as 7 mtrs in a narrow area of water.

Now with the new developments of damage to the Prado, and dent in the bridge guard rail (not necessarily connected, but highly possible) I am left wondering again...

The is true "expert opinion"!

:goodpost:

So you can't even state the obvious around here?
I was correcting the 'truth' that there was a scratch down the side, which there is not.

I like the idea that the marks on the bumper could have been from a spare tyre - very feasible IMO

This has crossed my mind too. Considering no one has been charged, it seems like a big risk to release it without knowing exactly what happened to it. IMO the car is not the "murder weapon", but this mans apparent run of "bad luck" gets more and more intriguing.

If they've released the Prado...I wonder where the Captiva is? Fancy a trip to the impound lot Indromum? ;)
It'll have to wait...I'm at my full time day job ATM! Can it wait till Saturday? Lol

I was correcting the 'truth' that there was a scratch down the side, which there is not.

I like the idea that the marks on the bumper could have been from a spare tyre - very feasible IMO

I was thinking of the Captiva ... but apparently it does not have a spare tyre on the back.

Can anyone remember a poster a few days ago who said we were wasting our time trying to sleuth this case? Anyone?

I read in my Boys Own Book of Crime Investigation the other day (sorry don't have a link to an online version) that often a fluorescent magentic dusting powder can be used to highlight prints on metal to give them a stronger contrast in order to be photographed. Just IMO MOO.

Not sure why my previous post was deleted :/

But Hawkins, in your opinion, do you think it's possible that the marks on the bonnet are fingerprint dust (maybe more visible as it's under fluorescent lighting)?

Can anyone remember a poster a few days ago who said we were wasting our time trying to sleuth this case? Anyone?

Vaguely, but I can't remember their reasoning behind them saying that.

Zookyliz - Don't get upset. I really liked your post. My response was not meant to be critical. I liked the idea that your misfortune with cars has provided you with valuable expert knowledge.

I used to say that I knew all the tow truck drivers in the area on a first name basis.

This was my first use of an emoticon. I wanted to use the thumbs up, but couldn't work out how to use it.

I was thinking of the Captiva ... but apparently it does not have a spare tyre on the back.

Yes, I just checked that - no spare tyre on the rear of the Captiva. Also, if the Prado damage was from bumping into another vehicle's spare tyre, then the other vehicle would have to have a similar height to the Prado... I think?

The timber bollard idea is really getting me thinking, now. I have driven a Prado before and I found it quite difficult to see anything below the front bonnet (despite having a "booster" cushion... I am quite short!). So, I could imagine myself bumping into a bollard, especially if I was driving the Prado at night and, therefore, had much less visibility (because, for some strange reason, I decided to drive with only my parking lights on...).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Proslakdbf