Found Deceased Australia - Bernard Gore, 71, Woollahra, NSW, 5 Jan 2017

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
‘The final video captured of Bernard Gore have been played to a NSW inquest, capturing the moment he turned into the fire stairwell where he would die.

Bernard Gore's family has wept as a NSW inquest heard of the discovery of his body in a fire stairwell at a Sydney shopping centre, three weeks after he disappeared.’

‘The last CCTV videos recorded of Mr Gore entailing his entry to Westfield, his walk through the shopping centre and the moment he paused and turned into the fire stairwell were not examined by searchers.’

‘The adequacy of the review of CCTV by police and security officers, their physical search for Mr Gore at Westfield and the signage pointing to the exit in the stairwell are among the issues being examined.’

https://10daily.com.au/news/australia/a191104mjxhs/family-weeps-as-final-footage-of-man-who-died-in-shopping-centre-stairwell-is-shown-20191104

Kenneth Hanes 70 has gone missing, 9news said he was seen boarding a Manly ferry but cctv shows him not getting off. I immediately thought if he’s got trapped somewhere in board. I thought of Bernard

I was just going to post about Kenneth Hanes, his family thinks he fell off the Manly Ferry :(

Kenneth Hanes, 73, vanished after boarding a ferry from Manly to Circular Quay on Tuesday night.
The last known sighting of Mr Hanes was at 8.05pm on Tuesday when he got on a return ferry at Manly Wharf but failed to disembark when it docked at Circular Quay.
His distraught daughters have now been left wondering why it took police five days to review crucial CCTV footage that would have prompted an immediate search of the harbour.

Kathryn said several police errors had cost the family vital days.

“A 73-year-old man has fallen off a ferry on a cold, dark night. It’s a disgrace that six days later I’m sitting here in a police quarantine hotel, overlooking the Circular Quay ferry pier, watching a pointless search of the harbour,” she said.

“That could have been done on Tuesday night. There will be no body. We will never ever find our father again because police left it too late.”

NoCookies | The Australian

Kenneth Hanes 70 has gone missing, 9news said he was seen boarding a Manly ferry but cctv shows him not getting off. I immediately thought if he’s got trapped somewhere in board. I thought of Bernard

That’s why I thought of Bernard, Could Kenneth have climbed down into a section of the ferry? They are quite big boats. I mean Bernard was missing but so close.

Surely those ferries have man-overboard sensors.
If not why not.

Yes they are big boats and would have all sorts of nooks and crannies.

Not sure what they have in the way of technology. The last time I got that ferry it seemed quite old fashioned which to me is one of it's attractions but a person overboard capability would be a positive step.
When they said he didn't come off the ferry I thought he didn't do his Opal card at the end.
If it was that he was seen on camera getting on but not getting off, that's scary.

I feel so sorry for his poor family who must be frantic with worry.

Last edited:
If cameras saw him at Circular Quay, boarding the Manly ferry to and from but not getting of the ferry again at Circular Quay. This isn’t looking good unless he curled up somewhere onboard and couldn’t get out. I guess if Bernard can go missing in plain sight then I’m thinking of all possibilities, stairwell or even in the hull. :(

It’s been revealed he arrived at Circular Quay train station about 2.30pm on Tuesday and boarded the 3.30pm Manly ferry.

He was then seen boarding a returning ferry at Manly Wharf about 8.05pm.
New push to find elderly Sydney man Kenneth Hanes

Death of man in Westfield stairwell a ‘result of misadventure’

The search for an elderly man tragically found dead in the stairwell of a Sydney Westfield had “shortcomings and inadequacies”, a coroner has found.

But his body was not found for three weeks.

This was due to “shortcomings and inadequacies” with efforts to locate him, NSW Deputy State Coroner Derek Lee said as he handed down his inquest findings on Friday.

He said the police search “can more accurately be described as a walk-through, rendering it largely ineffective in confirming whether Bernard had arrived at Westfield and was still there”.

There was no physical search of the fire stairs by police or security on any of the 22 days.

No “Code Grey” search, requiring all staff to sweep almost every corner of the building if a child or vulnerable person was not found within 10 minutes, was ever initiated by security.
Death of man in Westfield stairwell a ‘result of misadventure’

The court heard the push-button exit door at the bottom of the stairwell was not opened in the three-week period, as no alarm was activated.

'Misadventure' ruling in Sydney mall death

The reasons for which Mr Gore did not, or was unable to, exit the stairwell are not well understood, he said.
An autopsy later found no evidence of traumatic injury or direct third party involvement, raising the possibility that he died from natural causes.
And while he was suffering from some pre-existing medical conditions, the "psychological, environmental and physiological stressors" experienced as a result of being stuck inside the stairwell were "possible significant contributors to his death".

NoCookies | The Australian

‘He waited for help that never arrived’: the tragic end of Bernard Gore

Death by misadventure. It makes it sound like Bernard Gore, 71, died while doing something foolhardy, or somehow daring. Jumping out of a plane with a poorly tended parachute. White-water rafting without a helmet on.

In fact, this gentle, loving father of three, this retired bread delivery driver who still worked as a freelance barber for his friends in Hobart, died in a state of acute anxiety and confusion at Westfield Bondi Junction in Sydney.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leahruss
Back