GUILTY Australia - Chloe Valentine, 4, tortured to death, Ingle Farm, SA, 20 Jan 2012

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The inquest into Chloe's death started again today. A couple of Families SA people took the stand .. told of the same repetitive behaviour. Interestingly, they saw Chloe's mother in pairs (as she was belligerent and intimidating), yet they let Chloe be 'taken care of' by this belligerent, intimidating person ... and lied about her disgusting housekeeping so that she could get more subsidised housing ... and sent Chloe in a chauffeur driven car completely unsupervised, didn't ask to see the driver's police check.

Just more and more and more failings by Families SA. Such a sad, sad, preventable death. :(

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...e-of-families-sa/story-fni6uo1m-1227140505588

EDUCATION and Child Development Minister Jennifer Rankine on Friday said 25 residential carers would be immediately suspended from working one-on-one with children following the examination of the employment records of almost 500 staff.

The audit by former police commissioner Mal Hyde also identified a further 77 staff as being of "high concern".

Victoria next, please.

SA Coroner Mark Johns hears 18th day of evidence about Families SA and the child abuse and neglect case of Chloe Valentine

A JUNIOR social worker who took part in a “substandard” check on the welfare of little Chloe Valentine will take the stand in the Coroners Court today.

Sean Fewster ✔ @SeanFewster

Families SA file shows Rainsford was twice told to call that notifier. He didn't. #ChloeValentine

:furious:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...-chloe-valentine/story-fni6uo1m-1227150906751

Latest headline in South Australia....

http://mobile.news.com.au/national/...rse-inquest-told/story-fnii5yv4-1227153551891

I AM FuRIOUS after reading this, I hope families SA gets ripped a new one, Coroner Johns seems to agree at this point, if only he had been at the hands of Chloe's decisions in her short life..

RIP beautiful Chloe x

As sad and horrifying as today's news is, at last there is someone who has told the obvious truth about the matter!! Thank you Anthony Kemp!

As sad and horrifying as today's news is, at last there is someone who has told the obvious truth about the matter!! Thank you Anthony Kemp!

It actually shocked me how truthful and how much honesty came from Anthony Kenp, the other familiesSA workers have somewhat jaded me..

February 17, 2015: The final stages of the inquest into the death of little Chloe Valentine have begun with the delivery of more heart-breaking testimonies.

Today Mr Bailey told the inquest that his staff's investigation into the case was inadequate, but insisted her death could not have been prevented. :banghead:

The coroner said that the organisation could not have possibly been in a position to determine if Chloe was free of danger if they had not properly investigated the case.

The inquest is in its fifth week and is expected to conclude on February 25.

http://www.9news.com.au/national/20...nto-chloe-valentine-death#J6mtKpmH35P3gj7z.99

228265-0e31bf88-b56e-11e4-a05f-87b0515cbaed.jpg

Chloe on a day out with her father. Picture: Supplied by Tom Lagdon.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...-neglect-inquest/story-fni6uo1m-1227222229090

“An unsatisfactory investigation would never have found anything, you can almost always guarantee that ... it’s a meaningless exercise,” he said.

“You can’t know, you just simply can’t know, that Chloe was in no danger.”

- Mark Johns, State Coroner

5789906-3x2-340x227.jpg

The inquest into Chloe Valentine's death hears court planning for the protection of at-risk children is underused.

Ms Horgan said part of her role was to advise social workers and case workers about whether they should apply to the Youth Court to seek orders removing children from a parent's care.

She conceded it was "unfortunate" she was not provided with all of the details, but stopped short of saying those details may have prompted her to escalate the case.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-02-...l-worker-admits-sketchy-notes-on-case/6141412

The pics of little Chloe are just heartbreaking. Such a stressed and unhappy little girl. The only smiling pic I have seen of her is when her kind neighbour took care of her.

5789906-3x2-340x227.jpg

The inquest into Chloe Valentine's death hears court planning for the protection of at-risk children is underused.

Ms Horgan said part of her role was to advise social workers and case workers about whether they should apply to the Youth Court to seek orders removing children from a parent's care.

She conceded it was "unfortunate" she was not provided with all of the details, but stopped short of saying those details may have prompted her to escalate the case.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-02-...l-worker-admits-sketchy-notes-on-case/6141412
The pics of little Chloe are just heartbreaking. Such a stressed and unhappy little girl. The only smiling pic I have seen of her is when her kind neighbour took care of her.

It is heartbreaking SA. This little girl's life was hell on earth. :cry:

This morning, on the start of the 23rd day of the Chloe Valentine inquest, State Coroner Mark Johns revealed he had been conducting his own inquiry into claims made in the evidence of Families SA staff members.

Mr Johns said that, after hearing “anecdotal” evidence that child removal orders were difficult to obtain, he wrote to the Youth Court seeking its opinion.

He said Senior Youth Court Judge Stephen McEwen had written back with “very helpful and very revealing” information.

“In particular, he says that the data reveals that no application by the department has been dismissed in the period from 2009-10 to 2013-14,” he said.

“The department has been successful in every single application.”

Mr Johns said Judge McEwen also expressed his view that Families SA makes inadequate use of Family Care Meetings.

By law, a Family Care Meeting must be held as the penultimate step before an application is made to the court to remove a child from its parents.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...-neglect-inquest/story-fni6uo1m-1227225059982

Coroner Mark Johns drops bombshell, about Families SA's claims, in #ChloeValentine inquest: http://bit.ly/1DsYcVJ via @theTiser #newsADL

The #ChloeValentine inquest continues with evidence from Kai Cantwell, via video link with Canberra. @theTiser #newsADL

Cantwell is Acting Director of Income Management Operations for the Commonwealth Dept of Social Services. #ChloeValentine

Previously the inquest has heard #ChloeValentine's mum received $1300 a fortnight in welfare, but her daughter was always starving hungry.

Families SA concluded #ChloeValentine's mum was receiving incorrect welfare payments; never questioned if she was spending it on drugs.

Cantwell says Families SA requires a person's consent before referring them into the income management program. #ChloeValentine

Cantwell says this isn't a Federal requirement, but a state one. #ChloeValentine

Q: Why does SA do that? Cantwell: It would be best to ask Families SA that. #ChloeValentine

Cantwell: We operate income management in WA, NT and NSW without the consent of the person. #ChloeValentine

Q: Who chooses whether a person is referred to income management? Cantwell: Their social worker. #ChloeValentine

Cantwell: Under income management, 70% of a person's payments are held for essentials, accessed via Basics Card. #ChloeValentine

Cantwell: Basics Card can be used at 13,000 retailers but not for alcohol, tobacco, *advertiser censored* or gambling. #ChloeValentine

Cantwell: If the Commonwealth receives an income management request, we must act on it. #ChloeValentine

Cantwell: Social workers can revoke an income management notice at any time. #ChloeValentine

Cantwell: Income management applicable to a person for 3, 6, 9 or 12 months. Can be "renewed over and over". #ChloeValentine

Q: How many times has Families SA used this? Cantwell: Once. Q: Over what period? Cantwell: Since '12, when it started. #ChloeValentine

Families SA have referred just ONE family to Commonwealth income management since 2012. For 6mths. Didn't renew it. #ChloeValentine

Meanwhile there are 376 on income management in Australia right now. Three on SA; they've relocated from other states. #ChloeValentine

None of those three were referred to the program by Families SA staff. #ChloeValentine

Q: Was Families SA trained in this system? Cantwell: Yes, prior to 1 July 2012. #ChloeValentine

Coroner outlines #ChloeValentine's life, asks Cantwell if he thinks income management would have been applicable.

Cantwell: It would have been a helpful tool. #ChloeValentine

Coroner notes there's low take-up of the program in Vic, NSW & SA. Cantwell says all three require people's consent first. #ChloeValentine

Cantwell says those states have advised "legal issues & risks" if person doesn't consent to income management first. #ChloeValentine

Coroner: Isn't #ChloeValentine the sort if case income management was designed for? Cantwell: Absolutely.

Families SA lawyer asks what happens if someone on income management moves to another town. Can they stay on the program? #ChloeValentine

Cantwell: Yes. We contact that new town and sign their local merchant up to accept the Basics Card. #ChloeValentine

Coroner: I can't think of a single piece of legislation that would require an SA person's consent before income management is applied.

Coroner: I suspect that the true position is that it's merely a policy position that Families SA has adopted. #ChloeValentine

Coroner: It won't surprise you that I propose to make a recommendation Families SA avail itself more assertively of income management.

Coroner says income management wouldn't have saved #ChloeValentine, b/c it started in '12, but it could well save others in the future.

Sean Fewster @SeanFewster · 4h 4 hours ago

READ THE LETTER: Judge says Families SA has never failed when seeking child removal. http://bit.ly/1DsYcVJ via @theTiser #ChloeValentine

The #ChloeValentine inquest resumes soon, but you can read the judge's FULL, extraordinary criticism of Families SA right now at @theTiser.

The #ChloeValentine inquest has resumed with evidence from UniSA Emeritus Professor Dr Freda Briggs. @theTiser #newsADL

For those unaware, Dr Briggs is one of South Australia's foremost experts/advocates in child protection. #ChloeValentine

Dr Briggs started with New Scotland Yard in the 1950s and continues to this day, though she's "officially" retired. #ChloeValentine

Dr Briggs says social workers must be trained in how to speak to children; how to recognise abnormal vs normal development. #ChloeValentine

Dr Briggs: If not there will be misunderstandings... If they can't relate to children they will relate to the adult. #ChloeValentine

Dr Briggs: The adults are often manipulative & if you've got a student worker, as in #ChloeValentine, they are easily manipulated.

Dr Briggs says current university social work courses are not focused on children, but should be. #ChloeValentine

Dr Briggs: If social workers are uneducated, they will rely on their emotions rather than their professional knowledge. #ChloeValentine

Dr Briggs says there is an acknowledged problem in reporting child abuse. She's personally waited 4.5hrs to make a report. #ChloeValentine

The #ChloeValentine inquest resumes tomorrow at 10am. @theTiser #newsADL

Sean Fewster @SeanFewster · 45m 45 minutes ago

ANALYSIS: Has Families SA been lying to the #ChloeValentine inquest? http://bit.ly/1z0p3ko via @theTiser #newsADL #Opinion

The #ChloeValentine inquest has resumed with further evidence from Families SA senior social worker Leanne Stewart. @theTiser #newsADL

Stewart gave evidence last year; she worked with #ChloeValentine & Ashlee Polkinghorne via Strong Families, Safe Babies.

Stewart didn't tell Polkinghorne she was living with a convicted sex offender, nor did she report domestic violence. #ChloeValentine

Stewart was also one of the Families SA staff who cleaned Polkinghorne's home for her. #ChloeValentine

Stewart denies Belinda Valentine told her Ashlee had been assaulted on 7 Aug 09; says she knew nothing until 10 Aug 09. #ChloeValentine

Belinda Valentine's evidence is put to Stewart. Did she have this conversation? Stewart: No. #ChloeValentine

Q: Is it the case you just didn't make notes, just didn't take it seriously? Stewart: No. #ChloeValentine

Q: You've admitted you failed to make notes in the #ChloeValentine case before, important ones. Why should this court believe you?

Stewart: I don't have an explanation as to why people should believe me other than I really & truly believe it didn't occur. #ChloeValentine

Stewart: Sometimes notes aren't made. Conversations happen in cars & after hours, notes don't make it to the online system. #ChloeValentine

Stewart: It's not good practice, it's terrible practice, but it happens. #ChloeValentine

Q: Belinda Valentine was very clear about this conversation. Are you saying she's mistaken? Stewart: Yes. Q: It's not you? Stewart: Yes.

Coroner: Are you seriously suggesting a lapse of 3 days would mean the Youth Court would refuse an application to remove #ChloeValentine?

Stewart: In my experience, it would not have progressed past consultation with the Crown (Solicitors). We need their approval first.

Stewart: The Crown are quite difficult to convince. #ChloeValentine

Coroner: Didn't you contact people for info? Stewart: We're not allowed to without Ashlee's consent unless there's an active investigation.

Coroner: Surely that can't be right. Stewart: I've never been pulled up for it & I've always practiced this way. #ChloeValentine

Stewart: I've never, ever been told that it was incorrect or inappropriate. #ChloeValentine

Coroner: Maybe you're wrong. Maybe everyone is wrong. Wow. In your view of the world, that's really limiting. #ChloeValentine

Stewart says she remembers a different conversation with Belinda Valentine, about #ChloeValentine's furniture.

Stewart says that surprised her as "in my experience" Belinda "had not been willing to be involved" with #ChloeValentine's life.

Q: I suggest the conversation occurred & you've come to court today & lied about it to protect yourself. Stewart: I disagree with that.

Q: So are you saying Belinda Valentine has lied? Stewart: Yes. #ChloeValentine

Stewart: I would like to think I've admitted to my shortcomings & things I've done wrong. I've been completely honest with the court.

Stewart: I have no reason to lie about this. #ChloeValentine

Q: Why would Belinda Valentine lie? Stewart: I don't know, don't want to speculate. Maybe she's thinking of what else she could've done.

Q: If I told you someone else heard this conversation, would you like to change your evidence? Stewart: I would not. #ChloeValentine

Stewart disputes note made, by respite carer, that #ChloeValentine was about to be removed from her mother.

Stewart says it's a misinterpretation of Families SA terminology & "often happens". #ChloeValentine

Q: But there's no Families SA note of this conversation to check against. You didn't make one. Stewart: No. #ChloeValentine

Coroner: You seem to have quite specific memories about some things, & be quite adamant, but not about others. #ChloeValentine

Stewart: I do find that with some things I'm an authority around, I'm not sure why. #ChloeValentine

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DebsDaughter
Back