Australia Claremont Serial Killer, 1996 - 1997, Perth, Western Australia - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Longtime reader of this and the BF thread but first time poster.

Unsure of how to link, but here is a case where LCN (low copy number) DNA methods were used for evidence 30 years after the fact

http://www.news.com.au/national/the...d/news-story/5b4c7b6de69a4397a119559a92f0fa0b

So hopefully there is still a chance of conviction. I feel for the poor families who don't have answers. I personally feel police have a good idea of who committed the crimes and just don't have enough evidence for a trial/conviction. LW or Judoman are my top guesses.

Interesting that they found it 5 weeks later and it was sopping wet and were able to extract DNA. Gives us hope they either have DNA or might be able to get DNA in the future.

I've done that here for a few reasons, mainly experimental. Of course we don't know the actual route taken but there were only choices of a few.

1. Routes and route-points themselves can be "chosen locations" for the purposes of geographical processing especially with outlier locations.
2. The closer adjusted locations increases the salience of the north south skew of the known dump locations relative to the local area.
3. Allows us to convert it to a "hyrbrid" jeopardy surface to see if any interesting sort of anchor points pop up. Of course we aren't relying on this but no one said we couldn't experiment.

1. -31.978534, 115.786477
2. -31.972150, 115.8000923
-31.984015, 115.777953
-31.994152, 115.765720
-31.981292, 115.781182
-31.971142, 115.766909
-31.983917, 115.779209

Rossmo is all about the buffer zones. Adjusting this value changes the hots spots. So, I've used the dump spots to help generate a larger buffer value and also included them in the graph, but cropped them from the image due to size.

attachment.php

And here is one without the dump sites, just your coordinates.

attachment.php

Attachments

• claremont_kurten_plus_dump_sites_rossmo.png
    claremont_kurten_plus_dump_sites_rossmo.png
    121.7 KB · Views: 167
  • claremont_kurten_rossmo.jpg
    claremont_kurten_rossmo.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 168
We only know of 2 disposal sites at this time. One South, one North. Both roughly follow the coast. If we have a look at a map of Perth we can see a ton of good disposal sites to the east. But as far as we know he went South and North just past the city limits. This to me suggests he lives reasonably close to the beach somewhere (west of Mitchell/Kwinana Fwy). I'd imagine if he lived in Canning Vale he'd be whipping out to the plethora of National Parks and bush land East of Albany Hwy. Or if he lived in Morley he'd be dumping at Culcabardee or Wangara.

One of the variables these GIS (Geographic Information System) programs all input for is specific geographic variables that may skew results. An obvious variable in this case is the Swan River. It puts a massive barrier between the southern suburbs and the abduction zones because there is no direct route. To get there a person would have to travel either west to Fremantle or East to South Perth to cross the river. Without checking exactly how it works I believe any red zone south of the river (say Myaree, Kardinya etc) would be moved east or west to compensate for the lack of access via a direct path.

Adding onto that is there is a pretty clear delineation in Perth between SOR and NOR. Swan River is quite large and the only place to cross west of the city are the Freeway and Fremantle. I'm finding it hard to see someone bypassing Fremantle every time to go to their patch in Claremont. Furthermore, even after Claremont was red hot because of SS and JR, the CSK still insisted on hunting there. It's possible be lived elsewhere and worked in the Claremont area, or went to school there but lives elsewhere, but the CSK has a solid link to the area and the odds are the link is his residence.

Also consider areas North of Claremont. Going back to the NOR/SOR divide, I don't think there is a natural inclination to choose to head South to get to the outskirts of the city anywhere past Mt Claremont. I lived locally and my inclination would be South. I can't talk for peole who lived City Beach and North but I suspect their inclination would be North. City Beach and above was really cut off from the Western Suburbs where as Fremantle wasn't. A fair bit would be because of the trainline and Stirling Hwy.

Everything to me points to these suburbs; Claremont, Mt Claremont, Swanbourne, Cottesloe, Mosman Park, Peppermint Grove, Nedlands, Dalkeith and maybe Shenton Park, Daglish and Subiaco.

If some of those other sexual assaults that happened locally around that time then, coupled with the above I think there's a very high chance the CSK is local.

Everything to me points to these suburbs; Claremont, Mt Claremont, Swanbourne, Cottesloe, Mosman Park, Peppermint Grove, Nedlands, Dalkeith and maybe Shenton Park, Daglish and Subiaco.

If some of those other sexual assaults that happened locally around that time then, coupled with the above I think there's a very high chance the CSK is local.

Thanks Cartman, I know it was a bit of a longshot but I thought it would be interesting to see if any particular landmark correlated with those displays.

Bart, if you take all of the sexual assaults in the area prior to the abductions (I know some may not be linked), there are a few things that stand out:

* All occur within the boundaries of Claremont (even the Swanbourne rapes)
* None (with the exception of the Taxi attack in DM's book) occur on the Northern side of the railway tracks (Tracks a possible buffer boundary)
* Most earlier attacks occurred closer to the railway line near to Subways
* Most earlier attacks occur more in the periphery of Claremont CBD
* MM is seen coming from the direction of the overpass
* SS abductor is seen coming from the direction of the Claremont Subway

I would reason that either Claremont was part of the killer's daily commute (through the subways perhaps) or that the killer lived in a suburb such as Mt Claremont, Daglish or even Wembley.

What was the car park to the north of Claremont Train Station like in 1995? Was it well lit?

Thanks Cartman, I know it was a bit of a longshot but I thought it would be interesting to see if any particular landmark correlated with those displays.

Bart, if you take all of the sexual assaults in the area prior to the abductions (I know some may not be linked), there are a few things that stand out:

* All occur within the boundaries of Claremont (even the Swanbourne rapes)
* None (with the exception of the Taxi attack in DM's book) occur on the Northern side of the railway tracks (Tracks a possible buffer boundary)
* Most earlier attacks occurred closer to the railway line near to Subways
* Most earlier attacks occur more in the periphery of Claremont CBD
* MM is seen coming from the direction of the overpass
* SS abductor is seen coming from the direction of the Claremont Subway

I would reason that either Claremont was part of the killer's daily commute (through the subways perhaps) or that the killer lived in a suburb such as Mt Claremont, Daglish or even Wembley.

What was the car park to the north of Claremont Train Station like in 1995? Was it well lit?
It was dark. There's a proper car park there now. Back in the day it was just dirt and gravel and maybe some old bitumen. But it wasn't flat (it was not only sloped, but also bumpy and uneven), there were no curbs and no dedicated car spaces. It was "park where ever you can". During the day the car park was mostly full - park and ride commuters and people who worked in Claremont would park there.

Aside: It did occur to me earlier that JR could have crossed the tracks and been taken in this car park but I think it's unlikely as there is no reason to go there. There's hardly any traffic at that time of night so there wouldn't be a reason to go over to that side. Posters have testified here that as women they would prioritise safety and not walk to dark areas but SS chose to walk down dark and deserted western end of St Quentins rather than the closer, much more well lit and higher traffic route to the phone boxes across the road from The Conti. But on that occasion she was walking to a phone box whereas I can't see a reason to cross the tracks.

Consider these things;

1. The Cott Hotel abduction - circa 1989.

This seems to have an element of opportunism. Guy sees girls passed out so he abducts here. It's possible the guy was in the pub and saw her leave, followed her etc, but it's more likely he was sitting in his car watching people when he saw her walk to her car. He took her to Lakeway Drive in, Narla Way Swanbourne. North West side of Claremont.

Aside: Swanbourne High is also on Narla Rd and where LW went to school.

Could this abduction be the CSK's first victim?

2. The Swanbourne rapes - Jan 1, 1993
3. Claremont Subway attempted rape - Jan 1, 1994

Both towards the north west access to Claremont. Both on New Year's Eve. So for two years in a row someone (probably the same person) chose New Years Eve as the time he would sexually attack women.

What sort of person would do this? SK experts say it's common for SK's to use alcohol or drugs when committing their crimes but I'm not so sure in this case. Our guy seems to have played the percentages and I'm not sure if I can see him DUI all the way out to those dump sites and back. Maybe amphetamines, but I think alcohol is likely.

So if this assumption is correct, it's probably also unlikely the CSK was out partying (i.e. drinking) on NYE and then left his friends at say midnight and went and stalked and raped (or attempted to rape) women.

One NYE rape in the same area would lead me to think a one off guy who was drunk and saw an opportunity. Two rapes in consecutive years in the same area suggest a degree of pre-meditation and planning and probably committed by a loner who rather than celebrating with mates was stalking women.

So a lot of the early attacks (if we assume they are also CSK) seem to be focused on the North West access to Claremont. Here's a map of important locations;

claremont map 2.jpg

Assumption 1: The above incidents are the early work of the CSK
Assumption 2: Those locations give us a hint as to which way he would usually access Claremont
Assumption 3: Rossmo's theory holds some relevance in that there's a buffer zone

From this we'd be able to hypothesize 2 different buffer zones and two accompanying red zones (zones in the ovals and buffer between those ovals and Claremont)

claremont map 3.jpg

I like the smaller red zone in Mt Claremont for the following reasons;

1. The Cott Hotel/Lakeway Drive in abduction suggests this man is local and is familiar with the Drive-in.
2. While it looks close on the map, there's a geographic and social separation of City Beach to Claremont. Typically different people who hang out at different places and with different social groups.
3. I think a person living City Beach and North would be more inclined to start dumping North of the city rather than south of the city.

I'm quite openly hot for LW. The above is completely circumstantial and based on nested hypotheses and as soon as you base one hypothesis on another hypothesis you're increasing the unlikelihood. The other issue is of DNA - ifn they have it then he's not the guy. I still have him in front of the pack but is it possible that LW was responsible for a heap of these sexual attacks but not the CSK? Also consider - surely out of these attacks and the Rowe Park W@nker, police have been able to get a description?

Nice post Bart, and I agree about LW, too many coincidences and circumstantial links for him not to remain a high priority suspect. He certainly fits a lot of profiles of the CSK and a serial killer in general. He is def sitting at the top of my list also.

The biggest suspicion I have with LW being the CSK is that I reason the CSK had to have almost certainly been stalking Claremont. Driving around doing laps of area, I don't believe he was parked anywhere as all three went missing from slightly different areas. It's too much of a coincidence that LW was the only person detected driving around Claremont on the key nights and at the key times, religiously!

LW also admitted to Dr Saathoff that he had being stalking women since 1988 or thereabouts.

LW also admitted to Dr Saathoff that he had being stalking women since 1988 or thereabouts.
This is interesting because apparently he had lost his licence long term. During this period he was giving me lifts so it's as if he he just kept driving whilst suspended.

The biggest suspicion I have with LW being the CSK is that I reason the CSK had to have almost certainly been stalking Claremont. Driving around doing laps of area, I don't believe he was parked anywhere as all three went missing from slightly different areas. It's too much of a coincidence that LW was the only person detected driving around Claremont on the key nights and at the key times, religiously!

There's a ton of circumstantial evidence around LW but these ones stand out to me;

1. The stalking
2. The murders stopped after he became a suspect
3. He never sued the Police for harassment. Maybe he knew he wouldn't have a strong case but I think an innocent person would give it a crack and I think there would be no shortage of lawyers lining up for "no win, no fee" agreement
4. The way he handled himself in interviews. This is not how a typically innocent person would handle themselves
5. Eight or so reviews of the case and all backed in Macro's handling of the investigation. Not one review determined that they were focusing on the wrong guy. The focus on LW was overwhelming compared to the other POIs so I think we can assume the reviews also considered him the best POI.

There's a heap of others (as well as circ. evidence he isn't the CSK) but those 5 above are quite compelling on their own.

There's a ton of circumstantial evidence around LW but these ones stand out to me;

1. The stalking
3. He never sued the Police for harassment. Maybe he knew he wouldn't have a strong case but I think an innocent person would give it a crack and I think there would be no shortage of lawyers lining up for "no win, no fee" agreement
4. The way he handled himself in interviews. This is not how a typically innocent person would handle themselves
5. Eight or so reviews of the case and all backed in Macro's handling of the investigation. Not one review determined that they were focusing on the wrong guy. The focus on LW was overwhelming compared to the other POIs so I think we can assume the reviews also considered him the best POI.

There's a heap of others (as well as circ. evidence he isn't the CSK) but those 5 above are quite compelling on their own.

And when you delve into the 5 points as given above and analyse them a bit deeper the evidence is overwhelmingly damning on LW.

1. Who stalks women around Clarement as much as he did and when caught in a sting explains that he was "trying to look out for the girls safety" what a load of *advertiser censored*. Anyone doing this sort of stalking surely IMO would not do it without trying to receive any benefits for themselves. Being a male if it was me I would straight out ask for sex to be sure I was getting something out of my time and If I had a sick mind not only would rape be on my mind (lets be honest here) but I'm sure my sick mind would see the attraction in polishing them off....and then continuing to do it once you have the taste from all that stalking and thinking of it whilst driving.

I just wonder where the other girls who either accepted lifts or were blitzed into the cars are....It would be an amazing strike rate to have 3/3. Even you Bart said that you have been in his car so there must be others that sensed something NQR or were straight out propositioned or attacked in some way.

2. Very damning that the murders stopped. If there is no-one else killing girls around Perth in much the same way as the CSK then there is no-one else killing girls around Perth in much the same way as the CSK....other than LW.

3. There are plenty of media reports about other POI's considering legal action but not LW. He didn't blame the police at all for there lengthy investigations and harassment instead he said he understood....if it was me I would be all over that like a cheap suit and the inevitable payday would be a goldmine if I knew I was undoubtedly innocent. It would also look good in the press to have your name formally cleared.

4. Not sure how he handled himself in interviews haven't seen one recently (if anyone has any links). From memory he tried to portray himself as a weak and socially awkward person through his demeanor even though I have heard others say on here he is large and physically strong and more than capable of overcoming a girl.

5. I've never actually considered the review of macro in this analysis but yes It makes it doubly incriminating. Surely the basis of the review was to determine if the taskforce was wasting money on particular lines of inquiry and as LW was a 9 year effort or whatever it was then the review must have also concluded that LW is most probably the CSK. The police rarely get a suspect wrong let alone a lengthy independent review on top of that you would think.

Does anyone know where LW is these days and has there been any news on him? Surely someone must know him and be aware that he is or has been a suspect in the case and would therefore show an interest in forums such as this one. I would if I knew him.

1. The stalking

And when you delve into the 5 points as given above and analyse them a bit deeper the evidence is overwhelmingly damning on LW.

1. Who stalks women around Clarement as much as he did and when caught in a sting explains that he was "trying to look out for the girls safety" what a load of *advertiser censored*. Anyone doing this sort of stalking surely IMO would not do it without trying to receive any benefits for themselves. Being a male if it was me I would straight out ask for sex to be sure I was getting something out of my time and If I had a sick mind not only would rape be on my mind (lets be honest here) but I'm sure my sick mind would see the attraction in polishing them off....and then continuing to do it once you have the taste from all that stalking and thinking of it whilst driving.

I just wonder where the other girls who either accepted lifts or were blitzed into the cars are....It would be an amazing strike rate to have 3/3. Even you Bart said that you have been in his car so there must be others that sensed something NQR or were straight out propositioned or attacked in some way.

2. Very damning that the murders stopped. If there is no-one else killing girls around Perth in much the same way as the CSK then there is no-one else killing girls around Perth in much the same way as the CSK....other than LW.

3. There are plenty of media reports about other POI's considering legal action but not LW. He didn't blame the police at all for there lengthy investigations and harassment instead he said he understood....if it was me I would be all over that like a cheap suit and the inevitable payday would be a goldmine if I knew I was undoubtedly innocent. It would also look good in the press to have your name formally cleared.

4. Not sure how he handled himself in interviews haven't seen one recently (if anyone has any links). From memory he tried to portray himself as a weak and socially awkward person through his demeanor even though I have heard others say on here he is large and physically strong and more than capable of overcoming a girl.

5. I've never actually considered the review of macro in this analysis but yes It makes it doubly incriminating. Surely the basis of the review was to determine if the taskforce was wasting money on particular lines of inquiry and as LW was a 9 year effort or whatever it was then the review must have also concluded that LW is most probably the CSK. The police rarely get a suspect wrong let alone a lengthy independent review on top of that you would think.

Does anyone know where LW is these days and has there been any news on him? Surely someone must know him and be aware that he is or has been a suspect in the case and would therefore show an interest in forums such as this one. I would if I knew him.

Salt Creek.

Regarding this attacker, Police are unusually tight lipped and the nature of the attacks suggest it wasn't his first attempt.

Was just reading this article and there's a possibility he might have worked in WA, "He says he is a father, and claims to have worked in the building industry all over Australia, as well as internationally".

http://www.smh.com.au/national/man-...ttack-sought-love-online-20160211-gmr5l6.html

Salt Creek.

Regarding this attacker, Police are unusually tight lipped and the nature of the attacks suggest it wasn't his first attempt.

Was just reading this article and there's a possibility he might have worked in WA, "He says he is a father, and claims to have worked in the building industry all over Australia, as well as internationally".

http://www.smh.com.au/national/man-...ttack-sought-love-online-20160211-gmr5l6.html

The 59-year-old man

he is alleged to have held the backpackers captive, sexually assaulted them and attempted to kill them on Tuesday

He says he is a father, and claims to have worked in the building industry all over Australia, as well as internationally.

In court on Wednesday, police prosecutors asked that the man's name, image, vehicle and any details on how he met the alleged victims be suppressed from publication.

The woman was naked, bleeding and screaming, "He's going to kill us all!" when she emerged from the sand dunes

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...e/news-story/7da774bd8f81700dcf5785839dd28566

THE accused South Australian backpacker sex predator met his alleged female victims on popular trading website Gumtree after they advertised to be driven interstate.

The information can be revealed despite a magistrate on Monday maintaining aspects of one of the most restrictive suppression orders in recent legal history

SA Police have revealed a task force is investigating the man’s past, fast-tracking DNA analysis and checking missing persons registers nationwide.

Authorities have returned to the area to conduct searches of nearby land and sand dunes.

He told the court the details were serious enough for him to consider making an application to the court “in a sealed envelope”.

He also dismissed criticisms about the orders. “(They) do not come anywhere near to blanket suppression orders. They are, in fact, specific,” he said.

His lawyer, Wayne Carlin, failed in his bid to have even more restrictive orders over fears any publication of case material would identify his client.

A lot of interesting comments and quotes.

The man is 59. Same age as LW. I considered when this story first broke if he moved to SA. This man says on dating sites he is in building industry and has kids. Could be lies. Ridgeway would talk about his son and show pictures of his son to his victims to put them at ease. His lawyer requested more things be repressed in fear of his client being identified. This suggests maybe some sort of public profile. Fits with LW but realistically it's a long shot.

Re the repression order - apparently very restrictive and specific. It's not a generic repression order - it's a case specific order. There's something specific about this man and the case that police feel the details of the case need to be repressed. And his lawyer thinks only a small amount of case info would result in him being identified.

Police are checking missing persons registers nationwide - like us, they think he's probably a serial killer who has gone undetected so far.

I believe Donald Morey is still in the slammer. What about a Milat? It would create a sensation and possible mistrial. That would need a suppression order.

I suspect once the info comes out a new thread will be required.

Interesting points on why LW appears to be the most targeted poi. They certainly make sense as to why he'd be the main suspect.

Like most everyone here I get hung up on the possible DNA evidence and the apparent inability to link Calcutta to LW.

If LW isn't responsible for these murders, I'm guessing it's other skeletons in the closet that he doesn't want dragged out if he were to sue, and he'd rather try to keep a low profile and put it all behind him as it were.

Also very interested in how this backpacker attack case plays out and what comes to light about the predator.

I don't want to jeopardize the backpacker case, but if you search around a bit (especially from a published social media and look for the name of a person others googled in relation to that search) you'll find out the accused attacker's name (RH) and his other social media accounts, in the event anyone wants to try to determine where he may have traveled in the past. Not sure if we are allowed to post that info here even when leaving his name out.

edited to add: He's tall. Looks a bit like the actor Tom Sellek. Found it interesting that older pictures show him with a haircut that reaches almost down to his collar in the back like mystery man fwiw.

http://mydeathspace.com/vb/showthre...th-Australia-59-year-old-Adelaide-man-charged

"He was already under investigation for something & he's been going to Salt Creek for 30 yrs. They've formed a taskforce because they think there might be bodies out there. No point us looking at the "official mis pers" list because they don't list every missing person."

Probably got a serial killer on our hands. Adelaide - always delivers.

"He's lived in QLD, the NT, Germany & WA as well as South Aus since 1976. They're going to have a lot of mis pers to cover. A couple of old one's from South Aus that stand out are these ones

Stella (potential victim) lived near a South Aus beach, the suspect has a long, long history of fishing trips dating at least from the 70s"

As far as I'm aware, Pipidinny is a popular beach fishing and camping spot. While I think RH is a long shot for the CSK, I'd be interested to know if he was living in Perth in 1995-1997.

[video=youtu;mpQi_ZCBa6w]http://youtu.be/mpQi_ZCBa6w[/video]

Lyrics remind me of CSK. Great show of you guys haven't seen it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298