Found Deceased Australia - Colleen Mary South, 58, Renown Park, car found w/airbags deployed at Bunguluke, 3 Jul 2022

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

GuyfromCanada

Reaction score
Police are searching for an Adelaide woman who has been missing for more than two weeks.

Colleen Mary South's car was found damaged and abandoned in western Victoria.

The 58-year-old was last seen in the Adelaide suburb of Renown Park on July 1 and was captured on CCTV at the Liquorland store in St Agnes on July 2.

A witness then saw her by herself in her car in the Victorian Mallee town of Ninyeunook between 3pm and 3:30pm on July 3.

be3459ef8095c70ed294640ee262ea5d

More at Missing Adelaide woman's car found abandoned in western Victoria

A farmer then found her 2006 Hyundai Getz hatchback at Bunguluke, near Wycheproof, at 4pm the same day.

Police say the car had hit a ditch and sustained some damage, and the front airbags had deployed.

A journal found along with other belongings near the car had the words "help me please" written on its last page.

Ms South's daughter, Veronica, said her mother had been planning to move to Queenstown, within Adelaide, on the day she was last seen but, instead, she left her furniture in the removalists' truck and disappeared.

Police believe Colleen travelled on her own to rural Victoria and, at this time, that no one is involved in her disappearance.

But her relatives disagree - and are calling on authorities to treat the case as suspicious.

As a family, we believe foul play is involved,' niece Farah Mak told the Herald Sun.

'We need this to be escalated and for police to treat it as suspicious. This is out of character for Colleen.'

Ms Mak, an Australian actress known for her work on hit TV series Neighbours and Love Child, slammed investigators for not treating the case as a serious crime.

Missing woman Colleen South with her daughter, Veronica. Picture: Supplied

Missing woman Colleen South with her daughter, Veronica.

Ms South’s family have been critical of the investigation, which changed hands from South Australian to Victorian police on Sunday, Herald Sun reported.

Farah Mak, Ms South’s niece, said the investigation had taken too long to be handed over.

“Our major concerns are that we are now two weeks into this and have had serious communication issued between SAPOL and VICPOL. Colleen was originally reported missing in South Australia on June 30th, but her car was found abandoned in regional Victoria, along with her personal belongings and a note in her journal that said ‘Help me please’. On Sunday July 3rd,” she said.

“Other eye witnesses have come forward with sightings in Victoria, to which the local police say they don’t know of, even though these people have called Crime Stoppers.”

Two things stand out to me - in the OP it says "CCTV footage captured Ms South visiting a Liquorland at St Agnes at about 11.50am on July 2" and in the article @TootsieFootsie posted above there's a picture of her "essential medication" found in the area she went missing. It shows a package of "Aripiprazole" and when I looked that up it says:

"Aripiprazole is used to treat certain mental/mood disorders (such as bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, Tourette's syndrome, and irritability associated with autistic disorder). It may also be used in combination with other medication to treat depression. Aripiprazole is known as an antipsychotic drug (atypical type). It works by helping to restore the balance of certain natural chemicals in the brain (neurotransmitters)"

So that made me wonder what she bought at Liquorland and if she possibly was mixing her prescription medications with alcohol? When looking at the list of interactions it makes me even more scared for her, and hope she is safe and will be located.

Two things stand out to me - in the OP it says "CCTV footage captured Ms South visiting a Liquorland at St Agnes at about 11.50am on July 2" and in the article @TootsieFootsie posted above there's a picture of her "essential medication" found in the area she went missing. It shows a package of "Aripiprazole" and when I looked that up it says:

"Aripiprazole is used to treat certain mental/mood disorders (such as bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, Tourette's syndrome, and irritability associated with autistic disorder). It may also be used in combination with other medication to treat depression. Aripiprazole is known as an antipsychotic drug (atypical type). It works by helping to restore the balance of certain natural chemicals in the brain (neurotransmitters)"

So that made me wonder what she bought at Liquorland and if she possibly was mixing her prescription medications with alcohol? When looking at the list of interactions it makes me even more scared for her, and hope she is safe and will be located.
I agree it's concerning if she was mixing the alcohol and medication. Side effects that I read are "Alcohol can increase the nervous system side effects of ARIPiprazole such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with ARIPiprazole."

It's been very cold overnight in the Bunguluke area which is very concerning.

My mum is resilient, she's a fighter. She's a friendly person but she's strong."

"The note forms part of a larger number of pages that have been written in a personal diary, we're unsure of the date in that diary. It does appear to be Colleen's diary," Mildura Superintendent Rebecca Olsen said.

"Her diary certainly gives some indication of her travel ... the locations and the people, some personal issues that she was experiencing."

Local farmers are now being asked to check buildings and sheds on their properties. Police are also appealing to service stations in the Mallee to check CCTV.

"She certainly was behaving erratically in the lead-up to her disappearance, and she was on medication," Superintendent Olsen said.

"There may have been someone who gave her a lift, picked up a traveller on the way, and was unaware that it was Colleen."

There were tyre tracks in an image from police photos that appear to drive right up to where she had been sitting.” Farah said.

“The police did not dust anything, including her car for prints. Our hope is that we get action and outcome from Victoria Police by treating this as a crime and investigating accordingly to find Colleen ASAP,

There were tyre tracks in an image from police photos that appear to drive right up to where she had been sitting.” Farah said.

“The police did not dust anything, including her car for prints. Our hope is that we get action and outcome from Victoria Police by treating this as a crime and investigating accordingly to find Colleen ASAP,

Oh I hope this doesn't turn out to be a similar situation to Russell Hill and Carol Clay.

Daily Mail Australia can reveal the car of Ballarat mum Karen Gilligan was found abandoned in Wycheproof in March 2010, baffling police and her four children.

She was last seen putting fuel into her car in Avoca on March 26, 2010 – the day after her family reported her disappearance.

What happened to her remains a mystery to this day, with Ms Gilligan's skull found 30kms away on the banks of the Avoca River in Charlton two years later.

Like Ms South's case, police at the time did not class Ms Gilligan's disappearance and death as suspicious.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karla Enriquez
Back