Found Deceased Australia - Daniel O'Keeffe, 27, Geelong, Vic, 15 July 2011

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I cannot wrap my head around this. The police did not search the property? This is all just so crazy to me. He might have been alive the first couple of days he was missing! Wow. I mean people might crawl under their house or go into the attic or something...did they really not at least take a dog around the property? I strongly suspect that they just took the family's word for it that he left the house, but clearly he never even left the property. I do not think that family was in the wrong, but I think they just assumed he left. It is up to the police to not make that assumption.

I wonder how many other missing people are somewhere on their own property or very close by, yet no one ever bothered to do a thorough search. Boggles the mind.

This is a strange story. Awful for his dad to find but I wonder if this was a 'space' he used to hide in as a child. Somewhere only Daniel knew about.
RIP Daniel. [emoji257]

Idk I just can't wrap my head around it. So he was found in a crack between a rock and his parents house. And no one found him until 5 years later??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't wrap my head around it either. A rotting corpse is sort of hard to miss. I mean I have had mice die in my house or right outside and it is very, very noticeable. Denial is a powerful thing. I do not blame the family - they were just going on a very strong assumption. I know it was winter time but there is no way it gets cold enough in Australia to disguise something like that. But the police should have been more level-headed and done a thorough search of the property with a cadaver dog.

One thing this story really drives home to me is just how bogus "sightings" of missing people are. It reminds me of the Bradyn Fuksa case. Both Bradyn and Daniel O'Keeffe either died the day they went missing over very soon thereafter, yet there were sightings of both men. I think the police need to prepare families emotionally for sightings. They happen and most of them are bogus. This poor family in this case actually MOVED to another state to look for Daniel because of a bogus sighting. It is so heartbreaking.

I can't wrap my head around it either. A rotting corpse is sort of hard to miss. I mean I have had mice die in my house or right outside and it is very, very noticeable. Denial is a powerful thing. I do not blame the family - they were just going on a very strong assumption. I know it was winter time but there is no way it gets cold enough in Australia to disguise something like that. But the police should have been more level-headed and done a thorough search of the property with a cadaver dog.

One thing this story really drives home to me is just how bogus "sightings" of missing people are. It reminds me of the Bradyn Fuksa case. Both Bradyn and Daniel O'Keeffe either died the day they went missing over very soon thereafter, yet there were sightings of both men. I think the police need to prepare families emotionally for sightings. They happen and most of them are bogus. This poor family in this case actually MOVED to another state to look for Daniel because of a bogus sighting. It is so heartbreaking.

I agree. I take sightings with a grain of salt. I remember someone in Mexico said they saw one of the McStay kids and she knew it was him because she remembered the birthmark. He wasn't in Mexico....

I agree. I take sightings with a grain of salt. I remember someone in Mexico said they saw one of the McStay kids and she knew it was him because she remembered the birthmark. He wasn't in Mexico....

I would find it more remarkable if a random sighting of a missing person actually turned out to be that missing person. I can't even think of a sighting that turned out to be genuine. Unless the person is captured on CCTV I assume it's not them. In a world where people see Elvis in 7/11 and Jesus in a piece of toast, I simply do not trust people's eyes.

I would find it more remarkable if a random sighting of a missing person actually turned out to be that missing person. I can't even think of a sighting that turned out to be genuine. Unless the person is captured on CCTV I assume it's not them. In a world where people see Elvis in 7/11 and Jesus in a piece of toast, I simply do not trust people's eyes.

Sadly you are right. This all also reminded me of John Glasgow. Several sightings over seven years and his body is found less than a mile from where his car was last seen. He was there the whole time.

There have been cases where people were sighted and it was real, but there was always something much more distinct about those sightings and there were several of them in one area.

After all these sad cases, I think it is obvious that just one sighting is essentially meaningless.

Daniel's sister speaks to The Project about the day he was found

"Speaking of Des' tragic discovery Lauren said, "All I know is that he was cleaning out an unused storage area and he got to the end of this area, this space underneath the house, and he saw a very tight corridor that lead to a very remote area, and it was very dark, and..." choking up, Lauren continued, "I mean, I respect that Dad doesn't want to elaborate on those details. And I don't really want to know."

""We're still waiting for the report from the coroner," she explained, "but we now know that Dan did decide to end his suffering that day."

Sorry won't let me link the url. But will try and find another link.

Found the video
http://tenplay.com.au/channel-ten/the-project/extra/season-7/sister-s-love

Sister of Daniel O'Keeffe debuts play about her brother's disappearance and suicide
THE WORLD TODAY BY CLAIRE SLATTERY
UPDATED TUE FEB 07 20:15:00 EST 2017

'A new play by Sydney playwright Kate O'Keeffe tells the story of her family's almost five-year search for her missing brother Daniel.'

'But Ms O'Keeffe's play Losing You (Twice), which opens tonight in Sydney, aims to shine a spotlight on another issue — the high rates of male depression and suicide in Australia.

"Eight Australians take their life every day and six of them are male," she said.

"It's crazy — it's over 2,000 men a year.'

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marcia.C108
Back