Australia - Erin Gilbert, 42, murdered, Merrylands, Sydney, 9th April 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

April 24, 2023

The husband of a woman found dead in their home has spoken about the moment his world stopped and pleaded for her killer to be found.

Mr Gilbert was initially placed under arrest and held in custody for nearly 24 hours, however he was then released without charge.

He has since been ruled out as a potential suspect after CCTV confirmed his whereabouts at the time of the murder, The Daily Telegraph reported.

The man who found his late wife after she was stabbed to death inside her Sydney unit has revealed the moment his world “stopped”.
Nic Gilbert arrived at the pair’s Merrylands home on Easter Sunday after visiting friends to find his wife Erin Gilbert “gurgling blood”.
He had knocked on the door to no answer, and was forced to climb on the bedroom’s balcony where he saw his wife on the floor.
Erin Gilbert was found dead in her Merrylands apartment on Easter Sunday. Picture: NSW Police

Erin Gilbert was found dead in her Merrylands apartment on Easter Sunday. Picture: NSW Police
He said he struggled to be in the pair’s apartment after the murder. Photo: A Current Affair

He said he struggled to be in the pair’s apartment after the murder. Photo: A Current Affair
“I came into the bedroom and saw her lying on her back,” Mr Gilbert told Nine’s A Current Affair while holding back tears
“I tried pinching her nose and blowing into her mouth but I was hysterical.
“The more I blew in, nothing was happening. I couldn’t feel any heartbeat and her hands felt cold to me.”
The 42-year-old had suffered “severe” stabbings repeatedly to the head with an unknown sharp object.
Police have scoured the area for clues in relation to the murder

Police have scoured the area for clues in relation to the murder
Mr Gilbert said his wife completed him.

Mr Gilbert said his wife "completed him".

Mr Gilbert was initially placed under arrest and held in custody for nearly 24 hours, however he was then released without charge.
“They put paper bags on my hands and taped them up, I was sitting in the back of the paddy wagon feeling like a bloody chicken on Thanksgiving,” he said.

“(The police officer) comes in and he says, ‘Nicholas Gilbert, I’m placing you under arrest for the murder of Erin Gilbert’.
“My whole *advertiser censored***** world stopped, I just collapsed.”

He has since been ruled out as a potential suspect after CCTV confirmed his whereabouts at the time of the murder, The Daily Telegraph reported.
“No way, I loved Erin with all my heart,” he said.
“I’ll never lay a f------ finger on her. I never did. I never hurt Erin.”
The pair were involved with drugs and were in legal trouble with their previous and current landlord at the time of her death.

The pair were involved with drugs and were in legal trouble with their previous and current landlord at the time of her death.
Police are still hunting for Ms Gilbert’s killer, with her husband saying he has no idea who could be behind the murder.

He told the program he has an “extensive” criminal history that includes hurting people.

“I kept thinking, maybe have I done something? Does someone hate me?” he said.

Mr Gilbert said he would “move heaven and earth” to give himself and Ms Gilbert’s parent closure after her death.

“They have to have. Everyone knows the only way you’re going to hurt me is by touching, taking Erin,” Gilbert said.
Detectives from the State Crime Command’s Homicide Squad investigations are continuing.

I’m intrigued to know how police know exactly what time the murder occurred in terms of the cctv alibi.

If Erin was alive when NG arrived home (through the window, extraordinary IMO) and when Benny arrived - but died when the ambulance crew were on scene - it may have occurred quite soon beforehand?

I can see advantages to a friend arriving on scene before any emergency services. For instance, if something needed to be removed from the scene. Only hypothetical of course, as NG has apparently been ruled out according to the quote from the Telegraph in the post above.

JMO.

That must be some very comprehensive CCTV to rule out at this stage involvement of someone who has 'an “extensive” criminal history that includes hurting people'. Especially when two people were at the scene and only one was arrested. Imo.

That must be some very comprehensive CCTV to rule out at this stage involvement of someone who has 'an “extensive” criminal history that includes hurting people'. Especially when two people were at the scene and only one was arrested. Imo.
This is JMO but I think the timing of the neighbours call to police might have a lot to do with. Possibly they called while he was on the CCTV elsewhere

I wondered why the earlier reports stated that the Police had taken the husband's wedding ring. I thought that was rather odd.

"Police have seized the mobile phone the couple shared, as well as Mr Gilbert's electric bike, wedding ring and necklace as the strike force investigation into his wife's death continues."

But, in this article, it explains that the husband had thrown his ring into the window... which is very, very strange!

"I went around the back and threw my ring through the window to try and make a noise and get her attention - nothing.

"Then I came into the bedroom and saw her lying on her back."

I keep thinking about this. Were the rocks/pebbles he threw located near to the ring? To throw something so valuable (both emotional/sentimental and financial value) seems unusual in the scenario described.
To throw your wedding ring.. that seems very purposeful, doesn’t it? Very odd.

MOO JMO

Detectives seeking answers after death of Sydney woman Erin Gilbert​

why at the end of this and other news articles do they have the lifeline and respect (domestic violence) hotlines advertised?

Detectives seeking answers after death of Sydney woman Erin Gilbert​

why at the end of this and other news articles do they have the lifeline and respect (domestic violence) hotlines advertised?
Also in this report it says the husband and not been ruled in or out at this point. Which doesn’t tally with previous info re cctv providing an alibI.

Erin had stab wounds to her throat, head and hands.

"She had some sort of scalping here and her hands, she had defensive wounds," Gilbert said.

Gilbert said he tried to save her.

"The police officer goes, 'Step away from her mate'. He goes, 'Step away from her'," Gilbert said.
"He goes, 'Mate, step away from her, step away from her'."

"And they took you into custody that night?" I asked.

"They put paper bags on my hands and taped them up. I was sitting in the back of the paddy wagon feeling like a bloody chicken on Thanksgiving," he said.

Police initially placed Gilbert under arrest for the murder of his wife and kept him in custody for almost 24 hours before he was released without charge.

it sounds like a frenzied attack, scalping?

Erin was selling an ebike for $3,500.00. Her listing said "public meetup or door pick-up".

Police have CCTV footage of someone leaving the area on a "motorised bike" that evening.

View attachment 414563

I wonder if this ebike figures into the murder, given that there is cctv footage of a possible suspect on an ebike. In a comment above, we know that the police have taken an ebike from the home. Was Erin posting her husband's ebike for sale? Or was there a second ebike that was used by the suspect? Was she murdered so someone could steal the bike?

Whatever the answers might be, one thing is certain, this was no ordinary household.

They swabbed the balcony, so do they think the killer entered that way, like her husband? Perhaps Erin gave her address for someone to come and buy the bike, and they broke in instead? Or perhaps someone who already knew her address from buying another item.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kat kruck
Back