Australia - father accused of trying to kill family in housefire, 3 of 7 children killed - Lalor Park NSW - July 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
@SouthAussie what does "housing commission property " mean. They appear to be nice brick family homes
And as for it being a 'nice brick home', yes, on the surface, but I can tell you things.

That is a postwar home, maybe 1950s. It's a seventy year old house. It still has old fashioned sash windows. Likely little to no insulation. It would be a nightmare to heat at this time of year, and hellish to try and keep cool in the summer. It would have a rudimentary galley kitchen and basic bathroom. Bathroom, singular, without a separate toilet more likely than not. I can also tell you it's probably a maximum of three bedrooms, more likely two, and small bedrooms by modern housing standards. This was a family of NINE before this tragedy. That is nowhere near enough space for that family. That said, they probably felt lucky to have it. As I said, the waiting lists for public housing are like a decade long right now, no joke.

Source - I live in Sydney, the house I spent the beginning of life in was post war construction with five rooms TOTAL, my grandad built houses postwar, including his own. I live twenty minutes from the crime scene by car, and the houses there look like the houses where I am from that era. Most of them probably have the same layouts.

MOO

Last edited:
Seems like he is awake…… he has now been charged.

“He remains under guard at Westmead Hospital and has been charged with three counts of murder (DV), five counts of attempted murder and destroy/damage property with intent to endanger life.”

Well, enjoy the rest of your life, pal, however long it is.

And that's probably the end of most coverage by the media, due to sub judice, until he recovers enough for the legal cogs to turn. Though we may hear about the kids' recovery and if/when they get released from hospital.

MOO

There is discrimination against people who come from public housing backgrounds.

MOO
is there though?

the current Prime Minister of Australia very proudly speaks of his childhood in public housing

it's been part of his political campaigns

how damaged is the house?

do you think they will demolish and turn it into a memorial park like the Cairns massacre?

is there though?

the current Prime Minister of Australia very proudly speaks of his childhood in public housing

it's been part of his political campaigns
I was never in housing commission, but my best friend in primary school was, in I believe one of the biggest concentrations of public housing in the greater Sydney area. And yeah, when people knew she was from Mount Pleasant, she got treated differently, at least by other kids, and what kids do is often mimicking what adults do.

Housing commission is often used with a lot of the same implications I've seen 'trailer park' used by Americans. It's suggesting a class structure, and setting low expectations of what someone from that environment is going to be like as a person and what they're going to achieve in their life.

MOO

how damaged is the house?

do you think they will demolish and turn it into a memorial park like the Cairns massacre?
Looks pretty gutted to me.

And I think a memorial is probably unlikely, given Sydney's housing crisis. The land alone is too valuable for the powers that be to sacrifice it to a memorial. That's probably a horrible thing to assume, but I think unless there is great public pressure for a memorial, it's going to be rebuilt or renovated (if salvageable).

MOO

I was never in housing commission, but my best friend in primary school was, in I believe one of the biggest concentrations of public housing in the greater Sydney area. And yeah, when people knew she was from Mount Pleasant, she got treated differently, at least by other kids, and what kids do is often mimicking what adults do.

Housing commission is often used with a lot of the same implications I've seen 'trailer park' used by Americans. It's suggesting a class structure, and setting low expectations of what someone from that environment is going to be like as a person and what they're going to achieve in their life.

MOO
well that's sad

but i guess what they're going to achieve in their life includes prime minister, so it's not all bad

Looks pretty gutted to me.

And I think a memorial is probably unlikely, given Sydney's housing crisis. The land alone is too valuable for the powers that be to sacrifice it to a memorial. That's probably a horrible thing to assume, but I think unless there is great public pressure for a memorial, it's going to be rebuilt or renovated (if salvageable).

MOO
gross

who would want to live there

no one, but most people would; that's how desperate we are

I understand that, but wouldn't her time be better spent with her surviving kids who must be going through hell right now? I suppose everybody reacts differently to trauma and I'm not in any way having a go at this poor woman. Just trying to understand her need for revisiting the house, while her kids are still coming to terms with the horror.

maybe to say goodbye to her poor children that suffered and died there - either way it's not our business

Police allege a father, who has been charged with three counts of murder, locked the doors of the family home to prevent anyone from escaping before three of his children died and four more were injured alongside their mother

He was suffering burns and smoke inhalation but was expected to make a full recovery after waking from an induced coma on Wednesday night.
snip
Police alleged the man lit fires in multiple rooms of the house after locking the doors to prevent his family from escaping. Detectives allege an accelerant – likely petrol – was used.

Police alleged the offender may have had sharp implements like scissors on him at the time of the alleged murders.

Doherty said the mother was “devastated and heartbroken” but had been able to help police with their investigations – returning to the property for a walk-through with investigators on Wednesday after being released from hospital.

Her remaining children were expected to make a full recovery from smoke inhalation injuries and be released from hospital back into her care this week.

The court heard the accused did not have a criminal history and had not been to court previously other than for a tax-related matter.

BBM: Good job medical staff for keeping this thing alive to face the consequences for his actions.

BBM: What a brave thing to do !

Last edited:
maybe to say goodbye to her poor children that suffered and died there - either way it's not our business

Exactly, It’s not our business to know why she returned. As a victim, she deserved to be given the benefit of the doubt and not criticized. However, this sentence below shows what a brave Mom she is. I can’t imagine how hard that was for her.

Doherty said the mother was “devastated and heartbroken” but had been able to help police with their investigations – returning to the property for a walk-through with investigators on Wednesday after being released from hospital.

So we've gone from not known to the police to frequent visits by the police?!
Too....

The court heard the accused did not have a criminal history and had not been to court previously other than for a tax-related matter.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tabitha Darden 3
Back