Australia, Faulconbridge - NSW - 2 boys aged 9 & 11 found deceased at home, Mother arrested, Sept 10th 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Blue Mountains mother sacked following mental health issues

Paywalled (I assume, but I can read full article)

Basically, my summary - she was sacked by a former employer due to mental health issues, and this was followed by a years-long and quite messy court battle. She had various mental health diagnoses including PND, anxiety and panic attacks and struggled with perfectionism. She and her husband have been separated but co-parenting for years.

She had been hospitalised back then for her mental condition this article quotes. Clearly after reading this article, she should not have been solely in charge of the two little boys….. she felt that she wasn’t able to do her work to her own standards since having the children!!!!!

Alarm bells should have rung back then!!

“84. Ms Stanford also records in these notes that "work used to be a big part of [the Applicant's] identity (before kids)". In cross-examination, the Applicant accepted that this was a fair statement and also stated that her identity shifted after having her children.

85. Dr Chow's First Report … also indicates that the Applicant had reduced resilience to cope and escalation of personality vulnerability after returning from her second period of parental leave.

86. Further, there is overwhelming evidence that the Applicant had manifested her underlying illness in a number of episodes at work where she appeared unable to cope with work and her inability to perform work. In cross-examination, the Applicant stated that while there had been discrete incidents at work between March 2016 and May 2017, by the last week of May 2017 she "just stopped functioning". This is consistent with Ms Elliott's witness statement, which indicates that in the second half of May 2017, the Applicant appeared very upset on numerous occasions and informed Ms Elliott that she had been experiencing panic attacks.

87. The Respondent submits that the medical and objective evidence overwhelming supports that the Applicant developed an anxiety and adjustment disorder in the period following the birth of her second child in 2015. This illness was a manifestation of the Applicant's underlying rigid personality traits and associated vulnerability to anxiety and adjustment disorder. It was triggered by a shift in the Applicant's identity following the birth of her second child and return to work following that period of parental leave.”

Heinous.

Lock up. Throw away key.
I struggle to think that a psychotic episode could allow a person to do all that was needed to kill two little boys! To obtain drugs, then administer them to the boys, then put them into bed, to stab both of them multiple times, and not snap out of it? I do need to learn more about psychotic episodes, but I really struggle with this…..

She had been hospitalised back then for her mental condition this article quotes. Clearly after reading this article, she should not have been solely in charge of the two little boys….. she felt that she wasn’t able to do her work to her own standards since having the children!!!!!

Alarm bells should have rung back then!!

“84. Ms Stanford also records in these notes that "work used to be a big part of [the Applicant's] identity (before kids)". In cross-examination, the Applicant accepted that this was a fair statement and also stated that her identity shifted after having her children.

85. Dr Chow's First Report … also indicates that the Applicant had reduced resilience to cope and escalation of personality vulnerability after returning from her second period of parental leave.

86. Further, there is overwhelming evidence that the Applicant had manifested her underlying illness in a number of episodes at work where she appeared unable to cope with work and her inability to perform work. In cross-examination, the Applicant stated that while there had been discrete incidents at work between March 2016 and May 2017, by the last week of May 2017 she "just stopped functioning". This is consistent with Ms Elliott's witness statement, which indicates that in the second half of May 2017, the Applicant appeared very upset on numerous occasions and informed Ms Elliott that she had been experiencing panic attacks.

87. The Respondent submits that the medical and objective evidence overwhelming supports that the Applicant developed an anxiety and adjustment disorder in the period following the birth of her second child in 2015. This illness was a manifestation of the Applicant's underlying rigid personality traits and associated vulnerability to anxiety and adjustment disorder. It was triggered by a shift in the Applicant's identity following the birth of her second child and return to work following that period of parental leave.”
Sadly I agree.

This case just goes to show, that appearances on social media can be an illusion.

They looked like such a normal happy family...........

I do need to learn more about psychotic episodes, but I really struggle with this…..

I do, too, because I think psychosis/insanity is very specific. To be delusional and out of touch with reality (psychotic and truly believing a false reality and no understanding of right and wrong) versus being extremely anxious, stressed-out, or feeling unable to cope and wanting to end it, and deciding to take your kids away forever, but you aren't actually insane (choosing murder and not actually experiencing psychosis).

I do think someone can lose touch with reality temporarily, though, and it may be more complicated than I'm expressing.

My heart goes out to Acting Superintendent John Nelson, of the Blue Mountains Area Command. I just worked out where I knew his name from. He was in charge of the search for dearest Charlise Mutten in the Blue Mountains in January, 2022. I am sure I saw him in court the day that Charlise’s killer was sentenced. I congratulated all of the Police as I was leaving the court, and I meant it from the bottom of my heart.

My goodness, I can’t imagine what this Superintendent has seen in his work, and now he is in charge of this double murder……. Again involving defenseless, gorgeous, little children.
Thanks Marg, Im sure you are right, this absolutely will hit hard for all responders and compounded for those who recently worked on Charlise’s murder.

Case number
2024/00340473
List number
-

Room
Unassigned

Criminal
Presiding officer
  • Unassigned

Court
Local Court
Listing type