Australia -Girl, 10, found dead at home in Emerald Lakes, Carrara on the Gold Coast with her throat slashed

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Reneemaree88

Reaction score
A 10-year-old girl has been found dead at home with her throat slashed.

One of the girl's parents made the awful discovery at a home at Emerald Lakes at Carrara, on the Gold Coast, just after 6pm on Tuesday. Police and paramedics were called to the property but the girl could not be saved.

Article updated …

A Queensland Police spokesman said: 'Police have launched a homicide investigation following the death of a girl in Carrara this evening.

'Emergency Services were called to a residence on Central Place around 6pm.

'A 10-year-old girl was located unresponsive and declared deceased at the scene.

'A crime scene has been declared and investigations into the circumstances is underway.

Homicide investigation, Carrara​

QPS Media on Aug 13, 2024 @ 8:36pm
Police have launched a homicide investigation following the death of a girl in Carrara this evening.
Emergency Services were called to a residence on Central Place around 6pm.
A 10-year-old girl was located unresponsive and declared deceased at the scene.
A crime scene has been declared and investigations into the circumstances is underway.
No further information is available at this time.
Quote this reference number: QP2401370117

Wish we knew more of the circumstances. One article said her father had found her and LE said a male relative.
Was she home alone prior to the discovery? Is this a two parent household? What was the child’s timeline that day?
“The man who made the emergency call was seen assisting police at the scene while wearing a blue forensic suit, the Courier Mail reported.”
That sentence in the article surprised me. It is very early in the investigation and evidence collection/forensics phase to bring someone other than LE into the crime scene. I surmise they dressed him in the forensic suit and led him in asking him not to touch anything and to point out anything out of place, missing, etc. If he is the father, obviously his DNA would be all over the home and the victim. However, was LE able to confirm his alibi that quickly? Is Dad LE?

Update 1: Homicide investigation, Carrara​

QPS Media on Aug 14, 2024 @ 2:58am
Police have arrested a 46-year-old woman following the death of a 10-year-old girl in Carrara overnight, August 13.
Police attended the residence just after 6pm last night, where the girl was located unresponsive.
Emergency services attempted to revive the girl; however, she was declared deceased at the scene.
The 46-year-old woman, who is known to the girl, was located by police nearby around 10.25pm and taken into custody.
Investigations are ongoing.

Update 1: Homicide investigation, Carrara​

QPS Media on Aug 14, 2024 @ 2:58am
Police have arrested a 46-year-old woman following the death of a 10-year-old girl in Carrara overnight, August 13.
Police attended the residence just after 6pm last night, where the girl was located unresponsive.
Emergency services attempted to revive the girl; however, she was declared deceased at the scene.
The 46-year-old woman, who is known to the girl, was located by police nearby around 10.25pm and taken into custody.
Investigations are ongoing.

Interesting. Mother? Aunt? Babysitter? Neighbor?
Do we know if this was the child’s home? Reports refer to it as “a home” or “the home”. Have not seen it referred to as “her home”.
Did Dad go to pick her up and found her deceased or did he return home to find her?

Girl, 10, found dead at home in Emerald Lakes, Carrara​

A 46-year-old woman has been charged with murder and an elite Gold Coast private school community is in shock after 10-year-old Sophie Wang was found dead with her throat slashed.
An elite Gold Coast college community is in shock after a 10-year-old girl found dead with a slashed throat was identified as a student.
A 46-year-old woman, known to the child, has been charged with the murder following the horrific death.

The young girl has been identified as Sophie Wang, a Year 5 student at Emmanuel College.
Police and paramedics were called to a home at Emerald Lakes at Carrara just after 6pm on Tuesday where they found a 10-year-old girl, allegedly with her throat slashed.

Paramedics attempted to revive the girl but she was sadly declared dead at the scene.

Officers declared the area a crime scene and blocked off the street, launching a homicide investigation called Operation Whiskey Omega.

At 10.25pm, officers arrested and charged a 46-year-old Carrara woman who was found at a nearby street.

The Carrara woman is due to appear at Southport Magistrates Court this morning.

Speaking at the scene, Inspector Lou Serafim said emergency services had been called by a male relative of the girl about 6pm.

“At approximately six o’clock this evening police received a triple-0 emergency call in relation to a 10-year-old girl who was located deceased in a unit,” she said.

“At this point in time we are treating the death of the 10-year-old girl as suspicious, and investigations are currently under way in relation to the demise of the girl.

“The triple-0 call was made by a relative who was at the incident scene when they located the 10-year-old girl.”

Insp Serafim said the girl lived at the address where her body was found.

She said people at the property had been co-operating with police.

“We’ve had nothing but co-operation from the people here and also the residents of the unit complex,” she said.

That included the man who called triple-0, who was seen wearing a blue forensic suit at the scene.

“He is a relative and he is being very cooperative and is assisting police with the investigation,” she said.

Insp Serafim was unable to say if police had recovered a weapon, or if officers knew how long the girl had been deceased before her body was discovered.

She said emergency services had encountered a confronting scene when they arrived at the property.

They had been receiving counselling after what they witnessed.

“My staff who attended as first responders and also the emergency services from the Queensland Ambulance Service have entered a scene that is quite traumatic, and these officers and the paramedics are receiving internal counselling in relation to the incident that they were exposed to,” she said.

The girl attended nearby Emmanuel College, with principal Dan Brown issuing a letter to the school community on Wednesday morning.

“It is with a heavy heart that I inform you of a tragic incident that occurred in a home within Emerald Lakes last night, resulting in the passing of one of our beloved students,” the letter said.

“We are devastated by this incident and know it will profoundly impact our school community.

“Our prayers go out to the family and friends of the child, and we extend our deepest condolences to all those affected by this tragedy.”

Mr Brown said in the letter a team of counselling staff would be available across both Emmanuel College and Josiah College to support grieving students.

“Our priority is the wellbeing of our students and staff, and we will do everything possible to help our community over the coming days,” he said.

“Please be assured we are here for all in our community – students, staff and parents – and these support services are available to anyone in need.

“While words cannot ease the shock and pain of such a tragic loss, please know that our thoughts and prayers are with you all.”

Neighbour Tracey Donovan said a couple lived at the address with their young daughter.

She described seeing what she believed was the father as he was lead towards an ambulance at the crime scene overnight.

“I just heard him whaling” she said.

“It was the most horrific sound I have ever heard.

“That was a cry that words cannot explain - haunting.”

Detectives from the Child Protection and Investigation Unit were at the crime scene late into evening speaking with neighbours, according to miss Donovan.

She said the family were quiet and friendly - their daughter would often been seen playing with other children in the street.

“For something like this to happen it’s a real tragedy.

“I think the whole street will feel it- just being so close to home.”

At this stage the Queensland Police Service has not officially confirmed whether the incident is being investigated as an alleged domestic violence homicide.

On Tuesday night, the street where the grim discovery was made was blocked off by police, who had multiple units at the scene.

An ambulance remained parked in front of the property, while shortly before 8pm a gazebo was erected beside it.

Forensics officers in blue suits were seen entering the property.

A resident said she was shocked by what had happened.

“It’s normally very quiet around here,” she said.

“I can’t believe it.”

Another local woman said she would struggle to sleep after hearing what had happened.

“It’s terrible, so upsetting,” she said.

The woman, who said she had herself lost a child to illness some years ago, said her thoughts were with the family of the dead girl.

“It (losing a child) is the worst feeling in the world,” she said.

Emerald Lakes residents took to a community Facebook page on Tuesday night to express their shock at the tragedy.

“I live just down the road and I’m in complete shock, my heart goes out to this family, I cannot imagine what they must be feeling. RIP little angel,” one woman posted.

Posting on Instagram, another local wrote: “This is my neighbourhood, our community, I’m crying, total shock, hold your loved ones even closer, what is happening to this world! RIP ANGEL, sending you all the love you deserve.”https://www.couriermail.com.au/true...d/news-story/d74e5512ce73d5036112ab94a52facf8IMG_3448.jpeg

Could someone please help me to change the thread title? I can’t seem to work it out.

Could someone please help me to change the thread title? I can’t seem to work it out.
The Mods will change it …. You can alert them by asking in a post, and then “report” that post … sort of like reporting yourself … IYKWIM ???

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeSpice
Back