Australia Australia - Jennie, 49, & Raymond Kehlet (fd dec'd), 47, Table Top, WA, 22 March 2015

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The media were all over this case in 2015. However I became interested in 2017 when we overnighted in Sandstone and I spoke to one of the locals. I went to 2 days of the inquest in January 2020.
I do find the notion that a big chunk of gold could be found in an abandoned shallow shaft.
Jennie was interested in finding crystals. I believe Milne and Ray Kehlet abseiled down that shaft and Ray was belted with a bearer whilst down there. I think all 3 of them were at that location at the same time. Ray was a big guy, Milne is tiny. I think he surprised him.

Ros Fogliani's inquest findings are online and make for interesting reading.

Hi all,
I am Ray Kehlet’s youngest brother.
If you would like to follow the investigation from the family’s perspective, please see the link below. Please subscribe to the substack newsletter to receive further updates.
And, PLEASE SHARE. Share it here, on email, social media, anywhere you can. We need to keep their case in the forefront of the minds of those in the vocations of dispensing justice, so that Ray and Jennie's murders are accounted for, and so Jennie can be found.
Cheers,
Dave
https://dkkehlet.substack.com/about

The media were all over this case in 2015. However I became interested in 2017 when we overnighted in Sandstone and I spoke to one of the locals. I went to 2 days of the inquest in January 2020.
I do find the notion that a big chunk of gold could be found in an abandoned shallow shaft.
Jennie was interested in finding crystals. I believe Milne and Ray Kehlet abseiled down that shaft and Ray was belted with a bearer whilst down there. I think all 3 of them were at that location at the same time. Ray was a big guy, Milne is tiny. I think he surprised him.

Ros Fogliani's inquest findings are online and make for interesting reading.

Hi, I'd be keen to hear about your trip to Sandstone - who did you speak to? I've visited three times since Ray and Jennie went "missing"...

dkkehlet
Why do you have the belief they were murdered? Only
the Coroner's findings?
No, not only the coroner’s findings. We, the family, knew from the beginning. We’ve been in contact with police from the start, but necessary to remain somewhat silent. The coroner’s findings merely reinforce what we already knew.
Knowing and obtaining sufficient evidence to charge are unfortunately not correlated.

I have been reading the inquest findings. Does anyone know if the attachments are available somewhere?

Also, I don't remember reading anywhere if the guns were tested. Not just for fingerprints and DNA but to see if they had recently been used. Reading other posts here, it makes me wonder if the reason for the kinda odd stories by GM about Ray shooting at a cigarette pack and/or to alert others in the area that they were there, was to explain why the gun or guns had been shot.

I didn't really recall the part about the missing fingertips. My thoughts on the injuries to Ray's hand was that he most likely raised his right hand up and across his body to avoid a blow to the left side of his head. Think about how you'd raise your arm, palm facing outward to stop someone or something hitting your left side. That would explain the sever injuries to his fingers. Is it possible that the fingertips just weren't recovered but are down in the mine somewhere? Ugh.

The cigarette butts definitely make it seem as though Jennie and GM spent some time smoking at the top of the shaft. Was that before Ray and GM went down? Was it Jennie smoking while they were in the shaft maybe explaining why there were more with her DNA vs GMs? Did GM do something to Ray while they were down there (but why????), come back up and tell Jennie they needed to go for help only to harm her elsewhere?

If you haven't been reading Ray's younger brother Dave's newsletter go do that! (https://dkkehlet.substack.com/about) It gives a lot of insight into Ray's family and youth, along with his brothers searches for Jennie and some theories on what may have happened. Dave has a theory about Ray's shirt being missing that I find interesting. He said that odds were that Ray was wearing a high visibility shirt and so whomever harmed him and left him at the bottom of the mine may have been worried that the shirt would be too easily seen from the opening of the shaft and so they removed it, along with pulling the body away from the opening.

My mind keeps going back to this being about Jennie. GM treated her at work and that his how they met with her later becoming interested in prospecting. Ray only met GM through Jennie. Was there a fascination there that escalated - by GM, not Jennie? From some of what I've read, the mineshafts are abandoned shafts for a reason - whatever gold was there was taken out long ago. So, the odds of Ray finding a large chunk of gold and being killed for it are pretty slim. That leaves Jennie or just pure evil?

The family of murdered amateur prospector Raymond Kehlet and his wife Jennie — who is missing, believed dead — say a decision not to prosecute anyone over the deaths leaves a killer on the loose in the community.

The decision follows a coronial inquest and finding handed down last year that Raymond Kehlet was murdered, and Jennie Kehlet was dead but the cause was unknown.

Jennie's former husband Jim Keegans, with whom she had three now-adult children, believes she was murdered, and her body is still lying somewhere near Sandstone.

"She hasn't touched any bank accounts," he said.

"No evidence of anyone using her identity to get out of the country. No phone records, nothing."

And he thinks without a criminal trial, Jennie's remains may never be recovered so their children can lay her to rest.

Was there any indication of an affair or interest been GM and Jennie? I'm struggling to find a motive other than an accident cover up. He was 63 (now 70) and she 49. If they found gold, he didn't seem to spend it.

The inquest makes him less guilty than before. The eyewitness saw someone else, the cig butts were found a month after body retrieval, the GPS was erratic because it just turned on, the body injuries can be explained by a fall, etc. But he was the only one there all day!

Things I found interesting:

The dog was wandering all over the place across 7km and even came back to the site a few days later. The place doesn't seem to be very remote. There were several people who visited, saw the dog and even camped 100 meters from there in that one week. This trip was supposed to be just for prospecting and not actually digging for gold and they didn't bring any equip. GM was scheduled to report for work on the 24th so he didn't just randomly leave the camp.

Was there any indication of an affair or interest been GM and Jennie? I'm struggling to find a motive other than an accident cover up. He was 63 (now 70) and she 49. If they found gold, he didn't seem to spend it.

The inquest makes him less guilty than before. The eyewitness saw someone else, the cig butts were found a month after body retrieval, the GPS was erratic because it just turned on, the body injuries can be explained by a fall, etc. But he was the only one there all day!

The dog was wandering all over the place across 7km and even came back to the site a few days later. The place doesn't seem to be very remote. There were several people who visited, saw the dog and even camped 100 meters from there in that one week. This trip was supposed to be just for prospecting and not actually digging for gold and they didn't bring any equip. GM was scheduled to report for work on the 24th so he didn't just randomly leave the camp.
I don’t think the inquest made him look less guilty.Watching the TV interview he did was enough to convince me he was guilty, found him totally unbelievable.

I don’t think the inquest made him look less guilty.Watching the TV interview he did was enough to convince me he was guilty, found him totally unbelievable.
Is that available online or was just on TV?

I don't think I've read anywhere that anyone who knew Ray and Jennie ever thought there was any interest by Jennie in GM. My thought has been that GM was interested in her but that perhaps hide it well enough that even she didn't realize it.

Yes, the cigarette butts were found later, but they had GM and Jennie's DNA and GM doesn't ever admit to being at the mine Ray was found in, much less standing at the top with Jennie smoking some cigarettes. Highly doubtful that they were smoking them somewhere else and then through wind, or being picked up in tires or something multiple ones made it to the exact mine Ray was found in.

The stories about the dog I find inconsistent. Not her wandering once Ray and Jennie were gone from the camp as that part makes sense, but GMs tales of the dog running off multiple times and that being a source of friction. If the dog were running off, then it's rather inconsistent that GM claims that after his night of solo night prospecting, that the dog was in camp and not tied up while he says Ray and Jennie were sleeping. If your dog is the type to take off, you wouldn't go to sleep in your tent and leave the dog to roam outside. I don't think the dog was running off during the trip until after Ray and Jennie were already dead and I don't think GM spent that night out prospecting alone. I think he was cleaning things up so to speak.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shayput1996
Back