GUILTY Australia - Jill Meagher, 29, Melbourne, 22 Sep 2012 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, Timmy. If I went missing I doubt that the media would say 'breaking is missing'. They would more likely say 'Breaking News, a single father of 11 is missing.'

Doc, I don't have an issue with media adding some highlight like employment to their story.

Wouldn't that be-BREAKING NEWS- Breaking News, a single father of 11 is missing.';)

Doc, I don't have an issue with media adding some highlight like employment to their story.

Fair enough.

Re the comments raised above: the only one I DON'T have a problem with is number 4. A lot of the ladies have more than one handbag (ahem!) If my wife went out with an evening bag, big enough to hold her phone and wallet, but left her main handbag on the kitchen table, I'd probably just assume she left her bag at home too, which she sometimes does.

I notice that the media is continuing to say that Ms Meagher's phone 'was switched off' as opposed to saying it ran flat.

Any thoughts on this??

Hi! I agree with all of your concerns. It just doesn't quite add up, does it??

it doesn't add up at all.

I had a look at the facebook page thats been set up, which is a smart move especially for our younger generations who are surgically attached to their facebook.

There's a couple of mentions from women who in the past have been followed or theres been incidents occur.

One thing that I do find a bit irritating is the constant description of Jill Meagher as "ABC employee" or whatever. What difference does that make? Why should that cause more concern and more feverish searching than you or I would get?

I wonder if it would attract the same attention without the media connection?

That's not sour grapes, by the way - just an observation on how something can be used as a label. A tweet that keeps going past is "Victoria Police are appealing for public help to find missing ABC radio employee Jillian Meagher".

What difference does it make what she does for a living? If it were Jane Doe from some very non-flash suburb, it should attract exactly the same attention.

However, the real world is a peculiar thing, isn't it?

The media tends to add in these sorts of details about the person in question to make the story feel more 'human' and relateable. And also to help distinguish the story from those about other missing people.

This is not a negative reflection on anyone, but people are more inclined to get involved and help when they feel they know the person or can relate to some aspect of their life.

Fair enough.

Re the comments raised above: the only one I DON'T have a problem with is number 4. A lot of the ladies have more than one handbag (ahem!) If my wife went out with an evening bag, big enough to hold her phone and wallet, but left her main handbag on the kitchen table, I'd probably just assume she left her bag at home too, which she sometimes does.

I agree with this. I doubt my partner would realize which bag I had out with me (if any), and if he saw my main handbag sitting on the table he may assume I don't have one with me.

I also don't find it all that surprising that the colleague let her walk home by herself. It may seem a poor choice now, but in reality this isn't all that uncommon. She was only walking 700 meters, they'd both been out drinking, and she may have been quite adamant about wanting to go by herself. I'm sure the poor guy feels absolutely horrible about it, but unfortunately these things happen.

As a female, I wouldn't feel comfortable walking ANYWHERE at night by myself, but I have a close friend who will always insist on walking by herself if she needs to get somewhere within walking distance. Not a chance she'd let someone walk her home, she doesn't like feeling like she needs to be 'looked after'. Sometimes you can't convince someone if they've already made their mind up, and in this day and age some women find it offensive when a man suggests he should walk them home.

Any thoughts on this??

Sounds strange. I also posted earlier that if her husband continually called Jill and the media quote was 'it rang out', that contradicts if the phone was switched off because I'm almost certain if a phone's is powered off, it goes straight to voicemail (i.e. it doesn't ring out).

Hi I'm a long time forum lurker who finally joined today. I'm from Melbourne, on the other side of the city, but with a daughter who has just started going to bars and clubs it's way too close to home for comfort.

When I first heard about Jill Meaghers disappearance yesterday my gut reaction was that somethings happened to her.

A few things concern me

1. the colleague leaving her to walk home
2. the phone call to her brother, if she was worried about her safety wouldn't she have called her husband?
3. the handbag wasn't found until today, so all day saturday and sunday no one noticed it?
4. the husband saying she only had her bankcard and phone with her and yet her handbag has been found.
5. the time of the husbands search, one report I read had him searching at 4am, another at 5am, plus the constant phone calls between 2am and 6am
6. the time he reported her missing was lunchtime, why did he wait until then?

Hello and great 1st post.

1 My sister lives in the area and often walks home from that same bar. She has never mentioned feeling unsafe, it's a really busy area.
2 I think she only called her brother to find out how her Dad was. Maybe she had a message on her phone from him and returned his call?
3 I think the handbag was found up an alleyway slightly off Hope rd, there aren't houses there but businesses so maybe no one found it until a business day?
4 With regard to the hubby saying she didn't have her handbag, I posted earlier that I often take a tiny evening bag out at night and leave my big old handbag at home. If my hubby saw it on the hook at home he'd assume I didn't have a bag.
5 As for times...the media can often report 10 versions of 'fact'. They are all so desperate to post their article first that often the finer details get lost.
6 I guess up wonder how long to report an adult missing in this situation? Will they even accept a missing persons report that your wife didn't come home from the Pub last night? Do you call everyone you know first before going to the police? I don't know...

Just offering my opinions as devils advocate. I personally think (and hope!) that her hubby is not involved but now living a nightmare...poor guy.

All IMO

Fair enough.

Just thinking out loud- while I agree about having more than one handbag etc and not knowing which bag your wife took-you would think when being questioned by the police about a missing person, you would try and only comment on things you were certain on. Saying -she only had her card on her is a fairly specific comment to make if you are not 100% sure. Of course we don't know exactly how these comments were made, only how it's been reported. But it does seem a little odd. IMO

it doesn't add up at all.

I had a look at the facebook page thats been set up, which is a smart move especially for our younger generations who are surgically attached to their facebook.

There's a couple of mentions from women who in the past have been followed or theres been incidents occur.

Welcome, Aus Amateur Slueth.:wagon:

Her accounts haven't been accessed, and her phone hasn't been found. This article also says the phone is 'switched off', but I'm not sure whether it's actually off or out of battery... too many conflicting articles.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/true-crime-scene/items-found-in-hunt-for-missing-abc-radio-employee-jill-meagher-as-homicide-squad-investigates-in-brunswick/story-fnat7jnn-1226479708333

"The site where the handbag was found is slightly off the normal route Jill would take, however Hope St is a street she may have used in getting home," Insp Potter said. "I think there is always concern for the community when something like this happens. The biggest problem is we don’t know what has happened to Jill so I would say people should be cautious when walking along the street at night."

And from her brother:
"She was just calling to see how things were," Mr McKeon said.
"She hung up and just sounded a little worried. It sounded like she was on her way home. I called back a few times and she never answered."

Thanks for the welcomes. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the error in my name as yet.

On the Sydney news, they just said Jill's husband said he didn't know why she went down 'that' road, as she wouldn't normally? hmmm

As an Melbourne girl I'm 24 and I can tell you I have alot of bags. I have one that is my main use and then ones for going out with and certain ones to to go with certain outfits, handbags are like shoes we have plenty of them and different sizes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SWilkie1985