GUILTY Australia - Jill Meagher, 29, Melbourne, 22 Sep 2012 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes a lot of Bris residents would remember the above case. Just as a matter of interest, our now very well known Inspector Ainsworth worked on that case with the great result of apprehending the guy...& yes the perp is still in prison.

Thanks Marlywiz - your memory and ability to refer to things past is amazing!

I hadn't realised that Inspector Ainsworth was on that case. For those here on the Jill Meagher thread who may not know - he was the head of the Allison Baden-Clay investigation. He is very tenacious and also very adept at handling the media!

I got the impression that Inspector John Potter in Melbourne was very similar.

Same in Sydney papers today, says he is under close watch. They are also still publishing (the same) details that can't be published in Victoria and won't be discussed here . Nothing new.
Sunday Tele has double page about JM background with lots of photos, and other pages on the proceedings generally.

I think we all need to go and sit in the sun (if you are southern hemisphere :)
and enjoy the day. Sorry Melbourne people about MCG result yesterday, nothing to say about a game later today here :) Going out to get some serious caffeine in a mug. xx

Under close watch I bet. Oh, I feel somewhat "left out" living in Victoria :confused:. I should stop looking on google for news articles. Anyway there's no sun here and I'm on bed rest :( enjoy your caffeine hit!

I could be wrong, but I think when you purchase a new phone the device itself is registered and can be tracked regardless of whether or not there is a sim card in it? That's why in many cases our phones are locked into a network for a certain period and even putting a different sim card in won't enable it until it is unlocked. Probably talking out of my hat...
I think the words "Sometime after the moment Ms Meagher was captured on CCTV speaking to her alleged killer, police will allege he removed the SIM card from her phone, sources told The Sunday Age yesterday." make that act sound much sooner than it may have actually been - poor wording perhaps. It could have been any time after that moment - at least enough for the phone company to help out as they did. Having said that I think the phone would have been one of the first things to be taken away from Jill - maybe even kept thinking it would be untraceable without it's sim card??

I think it depends on the network. She may well have had a European phone which runs on a different network than Australian phones. European have CDMA, Australia has GSM. The SIM card can be put into any Aussie phone and it defines your provider - this is all provided nothing has changed.

My old American phone I could use in Australia when I went home just by buying a vodaphone or optus prepaid card, my new phone doesn't have a SIM card so it would have to be unlocked when I got over there.

I don't understand how the phone was ringing though as Dr Watson said - maybe one of you guys can take your SIM card out and call from a landline or something and see what happens.I am no phone expert though, phones are way smarter than me lol

I really screwed up and made a lot of changes on this post :(

I could be wrong, but I think when you purchase a new phone the device itself is registered and can be tracked regardless of whether or not there is a sim card in it? That's why in many cases our phones are locked into a network for a certain period and even putting a different sim card in won't enable it until it is unlocked. Probably talking out of my hat...

Yes, the phone will broadcast a number unique to the phone even if you put a different SIM card in. The number is called an IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity). That has nothing whatsoever to do with the phone being locked to a carrier. That's purely a money making device by the telecos. They subsidise the purchase price of the phone knowing they will make it back in connection and calls fees. They charge to unlock it within a specified period so they don't lose out if you switch to a rival carrier. If you pay full price for a phone, it's not locked and you own it outright.

"Yes, I know people get accosted in broad daylight too - we had an infamous cycle-path rapist here in Brisbane just a couple of years ago who used to grab and rape young females while they were out jogging. He was caught and I believe is still in jail. No doubt, some parole board will, however, let him out at some stage (especially if he says all the right things) and he is highly likely to be at it again!"

Yes! That is when I used to carry my portable 'screaming device'. Unfortunately, with changing handbags, it is not always with me now.
Still think mobile phone designers should design a phone that incorporates into it, a similar device ( which could be separate from the phone's main speaker and battery).

Most of the cases in the USA where a woman is assaulted and/or murdered, she was alone and often at night. Those two factors are what the predators seem to look for.

I live in a neighborhood with just homes and lots of elderly retired folks and some families with little kids, but I still would not take a walk after dark. Society is so mobile these days, bad guys travel around and seek out victims everywhere.

Jill's death is horribly shocking and should never have happened. And sometimes people, including women, have no choice but to be out and about alone at night, i.e. walking from a bus, to and from work, whatever. There will always be a risk. But I don't see the point of walking alone at night if you don't have to, just because it is your right; sure it is, but it is not a safe thing to do.

Any fighting back needs to be against the system that is letting felons out of prison time and again, and maybe for added police officers at bus stops, shopping malls, etc. places where people may have to travel on foot alone. Even new laws don't always help, as many would-be killers are looking for their first victim and/or have not been caught yet.

I guess most of us who have been at WS for a while are super-paranoid, so I realize Jill's case must come as a life-changing shock to members who only just joined and maybe are not as accustomed to thinking about the evil in the world. It is a very sad way to have to be forced to think about such things.

As you say, the fight needs to be against the system that lets the felons out. Maybe where a convicted criminal has abused the liberty of another person, then the law might also deny them of their liberty by surgically implanting some kind of monitoring chip that can keep tabs on them. Outrageous suggestion I know but it would be fair enough in my opinion.

Reporting from the scene. Huge crowds blocking the road outside the bridal shop.

I think the words "Sometime after the moment Ms Meagher was captured on CCTV speaking to her alleged killer, police will allege he removed the SIM card from her phone, sources told The Sunday Age yesterday." make that act sound much sooner than it may have actually been - poor wording perhaps. It could have been any time after that moment - at least enough for the phone company to help out as they did. Having said that I think the phone would have been one of the first things to be taken away from Jill - maybe even kept thinking it would be untraceable without it's sim card??

A further demonstration of pre meditation of the offender's behaviour.

Huuuuuge numbers walking. Half the road blocked off. Wish I could figure out how to post pix from my mobile.....

I really do feel that AB was telling poor Jill that someone was following her, hence her looking over her shoulder in those last seconds of CCTV footage & similar to what the Dutch backpacker was told, to me she is looking concerned & menaced by AB but not completely terrorised by him, whether she believed him or not we may never know. Then up ahead he abducted her. Awful thinking & typing it, makes you feel sick... IMHO

ABC news suggested there are about 3000 people at the march. How wonderful!

Couple of things.

First, I understand the need to be cautious but the facts of the case are not in dispute. Ms Meagher was abducted, raped and murdered. There is no need to write "alleged" before the crime. There is, however, a requirement to write "alleged" before the name of the accused. He is entitled to his day in court and the presumption of innocence until it is proven in a court of law that he is guilty.

Second, it is true that women should be able to go wherever they want, whenever they want without fear of attack but I think we don't live in that kind of world anymore. You used to be able to leave the front door unlocked. Now, you can't. You need to take precautions. That's the reality. Something we should all learn from this case. And, in my opinion, I think we dishonor Jill's memory not to learn from her death and to ensure that it never happens again.

Finally, I know people are curious to know how Jill died. I'm not. I think it is a sad indictment of our society if the most important thing we can say about a person is the nature of their death. It's life that matters. Not death. Honour Jill's life. Not her death!

Off my soapbox now! Cheers!

728667-jill-meagher.jpg

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...-rd-in-brunswick/story-e6frf7kx-1226484726240

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SpaceUnicorn