GUILTY Australia - Kylie Maybury, 6, abducted & murdered, Preston, Vic, 6 Nov 1984

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just a question for the moderator of this thread - I have access to newspaper articles from 1992 onwards through my university. Is it ok to post 1990s articles about Kylie in the thread?

Hi Paul1980,

Yes you can post 10 percent of the article but you must link back to the full article as well.

Being that your access if from your university I don't know if this is possible. However, I would hate to pass up the chance to post more information about Kylie.

Could you please email me at triciastruecrimeradio@gmail.com and tell me more about how you can access the articles?

Thank you Paul1980 for participating on Kylie's thread and for offering this information.

Tricia

I've sent a message to the Herald Sun, asking if they can inform Kylie's family that Kylie has a Wikipedia article and a thread here at WS. While I would like Kylie's mother and sister to know that we here at WS care about Kylie and would be interested in their input here, I completely understand if they do not want to.

I'm also still spitting rivets at The Age for not doing an article on Kylie for the 30th anniversary. Not everybody reads the Herald Sun, indeed many don't read it as a point of principle.

I've been told that some in the Victoria Police department that deals with paedophiles and child sex crimes used a lot of colourful Australian language towards the ABC for 4 Corners decision to focus on a little boy victim and only mention in a postscript that most viewers would not have seen - as they'd have switched channels after the main report - the fact that most child molesters and child rapists target little girls.

Does anyone know if a psych profile has been done on Kylie's rapist-killer? I seem to remember that they do that for perps, even if they haven't caught them?

we are pretty sure the perp was local and it's also strongly possible that Kylie knew him, which is perhaps why no one came forward saying that they saw Kylie being forced into a car. The fact that she didn't drop her toy handbag on the road in Preston also suggests to me that she was not forced into the car.

paul1980; You mentioned the existence of a psych profile for the perpetrator. Surely current advancements with D.N.A. profiling (which Police have) can offer information as to nationality (e.g. white Caucasian), blood groups, age approx. and family names. At the very least it could help via elimination. Though D.N.A. testing on bone and teeth may be better at pinpointing a person origins , surely Police have enough D.N.A. evidence to further refine their search, rather than wait for a match, much like waiting for 'death bed confessions' that never eventuate. The local University might help Police, as a worthy project.
While the perpetrator may have moved since, electricity account records will trace their whereabouts wherever they go if they're still on the grid (including any local short term renters).
It may seem an unconventional approach, but if Police had access to unrestricted funds, a request to other child sex abuse survivors, where the perpetrator was a family member... to place their D.N.A. on file, just to see what pops up in relation to other unsolved child, rape / murder crimes, would send a clear message to future offenders. While that could apply in a broad sense to 'anybody' unable to prosecute, name the family offender at the time (as a child), or where the perpetrator has since died, it could also be helpful to narrow down those living in the same area as Kylie back then. Police could simply target their request significant to Kylie, in this case other past child residents, the specific school area etc..

we are pretty sure the perp was local and it's also strongly possible that Kylie knew him, which is perhaps why no one came forward saying that they saw Kylie being forced into a car. The fact that she didn't drop her toy handbag on the road in Preston also suggests to me that she was not forced into the car.

The sighting at KFC also strongly suggests coercion, rather than force, was used.

Doesn't mean she knew him though.. could mean he was just very practiced at being a predator.

What's interesting to me at atm is how her bag ended up out in Wantirna, though she was clearly attacked close to where she lived, and dumped there. Was that a red herring, planted to lead cops away from someone local (Wantirna is only a half hour drive..) -- or was the killer living out there, and maybe used somewhere like the park close to the dumpsite/his car as a primary crime scene? I'd imagine on cup day, around family dinner time, the place might have been quite deserted. And there's several buildings there, to park behind.

Ausgirl: There's a study at one of the universities that talks about how traumatised the journalists who attended the crime scene were. There were delays in removing Kylie's body to the morgue and so she was still lying there in the gutter when the reporters arrived.

edit: n/m I've just not had enough coffee today, brain's on slow.

Paul, that's a horrible scenario. For everyone involved.

Just sharing information about Kylie's case as i find it.

About the Kentucky Fried Chicken store sighting of Kylie. Would it be worth seeing if the police could track down surviving staff or customers who were there when Kylie bought the chips?

I am making an effort to obtain contact details for Julie Maybury. I hope to tell her about the thread here and that we care about Kylie and her family.

one of the reddits on reddit now has a thread about Kylie. Since i only saw it when googling Kylie, i don't know if reddit is a good thing or a bad thing.

one of the reddits on reddit now has a thread about Kylie. Since i only saw it when googling Kylie, i don't know if reddit is a good thing or a bad thing.

Reddit is a good thing! Basically a huge social network of sorts, it has been helpful in solving a few of the unidentified cases here such as Grateful Doe. Hopefully it helps in some way for Kylie, even if it's just keeping the public interest in her case. My heart aches for all involved :( poor little angel

There was a flare of interest on the 30th anniversary from Melburnians, but Kylie is slipping down the real life memory hole again. It's still possible that her rapist-killer is still alive... but in ten, fifteen years? not as likely.

I'm kind of surprised that there is no Kylie Maybury Foundation (ala the Alannah and Madeline Foundation, the Daniel Morcombe Foundation, etc.).

Just by the by - the fact that Kylie was suffocated doesn't come from msm alone, but is referenced in a direct quote from the coroner himself (and I don't think the Age would misquote the coroner). Cause of death was asphyxiation:

"..she was maliciously and unlawfully suffocated by a person or persons unknown".

https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=kcwzAAAAIBAJ&sjid=U5UDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6758,4146460

A horrible, terrifying and painful death. I just pray she wasn't conscious for any of it.

Someone out there owns that DNA profile the killer left behind... One day, they'll catch him. I have firm faith in that.

asphyxiation doesn't mean she wasn't strangled too to make sure she was dead - unless the asphyxiation was from having a giant adult male body on top of a tiny little girl.

Why did Kylie slip down the memory hole? why isn't she a household name like Sheree Beasley? Their stories are so similar - both six, both girls, both abducted returning from a milk bar, both forced to perform sex acts on their abductors before the men murdered them.

There has to be something we can say about Kylie. Is the famous portrait of Kylie a school photo? She's not in a schooldress which makes me curious. The school photo of Sheree Beasley in her blue/white checked schooldress still gets used by the media sometimes.

One of Kylie's friends says that the memory of her kidnapping, rape and murder "haunted the streets of Preston for years".

Sheree Beasley's mother moved away from Melbourne as the painful memories were too much, but since Kylie is buried in Melbourne, maybe her mother and sister still live there.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShellBear77
Back