Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, Jun 1997

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, I'm new to websleuths but I've been following Marion's case since the beginning of the podcast. I've gone back to the beginning of this thread and have read every comment and theory.

Adub that's really interesting and I hope the podcast follows through with that. I know the business you're talking about across from ComBank. I've been to Byron Bay before and it wouldn't surprise me if Marion was living there. It's full of tourists and very easy to escape and blend it. It would be the perfect town to disappear in and it'd be very easy to do so.

I'm sure the Commonwealth bank or other businesses CCTV has caught that woman on camera if she frequents the area. If that business owner has seen this women, someone else has too.

I do think however that this F Remakel has more to do with the story - I really hope this theory eventuates. There are too many coincidences with it. I just can't help but go back to her passport saying that 'Florabella is a housewife from Luxembourg' and this Remakel man lives there. Wow!

I just listened to podcast 10. I do not understand why people find it hard to believe someone has decided to start a new like. I feel sorry for MF Remakel, everyone will think he is a murderer.

I didn't get that at all, I was left with the sentiment of what can this man reveal about Marion's story rather than assuming he'd killed her. It's a tricky one for them because they want to let us follow along on the story so they need to reveal his name because that's such a key part of the connection. I think they mentioned somewhere in ep 10 that they don't know for sure that Mr Remakel has anything to do with the story but they equally don't know that he doesn't. If it's the latter then I am assuming this will be made very clear in ep 11 - these are experienced journalists who wouldn't be in the business of casting aspersions randomly, they know too much about defamation law I'm sure.

I agree that it's an individual's right to start a new life. I equally think that Sally has the right to know that her mother is safe - or not. And she has the right to ensure that Marion's case is thoroughly investigated in the instance that a crime has occurred so that the perpetrator can be brought to justice.

In episode one of the podcast, it was mentioned that Marion went to Teachers College in Wagga Wagga. Yet, for years it has been said that she went to Teachers College in Armidale. Does anyone know where she went to college?
Searching for clues to find missing mum

My gut says that she walked away. Either she, or someone she was working with, went back to empty the bank accounts. In the podcasts, Sally questions why Marion would be in Burleigh, so close to home and where she might be recognised- the first thought that I had was that she wanted to either get something, or organise the moving of her shipping container. I know she loved her daughter, and it sounds unusual for a mum to walk away from her kids, but it happens. Marion, according to the podcast, was doting on her son, with some people hinting that she even favoured Owen- yet when husband number three said him or me, she went with the man.

Marion sounds as though she was having a few issues. She was by all accounts a fabulous teacher, yet there were people in that last place of employment who questioned some of her behaviours. Could this be a sign that she was struggling with anxiety, high level stress or worse?

Witness protection seems unlikely to me. The disgusting behaviour at TSS was certainly not being investigated, much less prosecuted at the time. Everyone else who reported the behaviour was ignored, certainly not protected.

I suspect the police have some evidence that Marion was alive after her disappearance. Possibly evidence of a second name change (such as in the case of Lori Ruff)? The only thing that made me doubt this was the police search on the property near Armidale following a years old crimestoppers tip. Unless- they followed up in case there was actually a body, but the body of someone else. I cant find any reports of digging for remains near Armidale- can anyone else? I am local to Armidale, and there have been a number of searches for the remains of another long term missing person, which has the whole town talking. I have no recollection of this search. I would really like to know where this search was- if anyone knows, please let me know!

If Marion did walk away, and someone knows where she is, there must be a way that Sally can be told in a way that respects Marion's privacy.

The phone number in the add now goes to a unit in Ballina, but has 16 records. They could be change of owner, or changer of address in the same area
0266864788 who called from (02) 6686 4788?

ETA- in 1996, area codes were changed. Until then, the code in the northern rivers area was (066), as stated in the ad. When the change happened, the area code for all of NSW became (02), and the last two numbers of the original area code was added to the beginning of what had been a six digit number.

In episode one of the podcast, it was mentioned that Marion went to Teachers College in Wagga Wagga. Yet, for years it has been said that she went to Teachers College in Armidale. Does anyone know where she went to college?

My gut says that she walked away. Either she, or someone she was working with, went back to empty the bank accounts. In the podcasts, Sally questions why Marion would be in Burleigh, so close to home and where she might be recognised- the first thought that I had was that she wanted to either get something, or organise the moving of her shipping container. I know she loved her daughter, and it sounds unusual for a mum to walk away from her kids, but it happens. Marion, according to the podcast, was doting on her son, with some people hinting that she even favoured Owen- yet when husband number three said him or me, she went with the man.

Marion sounds as though she was having a few issues. She was by all accounts a fabulous teacher, yet there were people in that last place of employment who questioned some of her behaviours. Could this be a sign that she was struggling with anxiety, high level stress or worse?

Witness protection seems unlikely to me. The disgusting behaviour at TSS was certainly not being investigated, much less prosecuted at the time. Everyone else who reported the behaviour was ignored, certainly not protected.

I suspect the police have some evidence that Marion was alive after her disappearance. Possibly evidence of a second name change (such as in the case of Lori Ruff)? The only thing that made me doubt this was the police search on the property near Armidale following a years old crimestoppers tip. Unless- they followed up in case there was actually a body, but the body of someone else. I cant find any reports of digging for remains near Armidale- can anyone else? I am local to Armidale, and there have been a number of searches for the remains of another long term missing person, which has the whole town talking. I have no recollection of this search. I would really like to know where this search was- if anyone knows, please let me know!

If Marion did walk away, and someone knows where she is, there must be a way that Sally can be told in a way that respects Marion's privacy.

It could have even been marion or her new partner who rang crimestoppers to try and throw police off.

It could have even been marion or her new partner who rang crimestoppers to try and throw police off.

Have been thinking about Monsieur Remakel .... h'mm .... age 47 and living around Lennox Heads and looking for a partner? Could he have been here on a job posting from Luxembourg? Two year posting or something like that, maybe he worked around there? If he's over from Luxembourg it's a strange place to settle, Lennox Heads .... unless it was for work? Just a thought. Could that be why he won't be traceable in a phone book from the time? Another mad thought .... if he was the man in the car that night could he have been giving Marion something to take overseas for him and that's what his late night visit was for? Just some thoughts. Will catch up on some posts now, I'm a bit behind. Cheers :)

Have been thinking about Monsieur Remakel .... h'mm .... age 47 and living around Lennox Heads and looking for a partner? Could he have been here on a job posting from Luxembourg? Two year posting or something like that, maybe he worked around there? If he's over from Luxembourg it's a strange place to settle, Lennox Heads .... unless it was for work? Just a thought. Could that be why he won't be traceable in a phone book from the time? Another mad thought .... if he was the man in the car that night could he have been giving Marion something to take overseas for him and that's what his late night visit was for? Just some thoughts. Will catch up on some posts now, I'm a bit behind. Cheers :)
Right - and what if MF Remakel wasn't his real name but one he'd assumed. Maybe a football fan who thought it was a good name to use? Guess we'll find out more in episode 11 about him!

Here is a very detailed account of a lady’s memory of Marion, found online :

My 4 year old son was in Marion's class at TSS the year before she disappeared. I am very grateful that Marion was my son's teacher. The boys were taught to be independent, resilient, resourceful and thoughtful. At age 4, my son learned to read and write in Marions' class, so Marion allowed him to borrow readers.

As a mum I volunteered a lot in Marion's classroom. I am an Early Childhood Teacher so I was able to view the classroom with a "teacher's eye". I spent a lot of time with Marion in the classroom.

At no time did I see Marion interfere with any of the boys. When I heard in the podcast that she had been accused of that I instantly thought that she had been falsely and vengefully accused. An accusation such as that is easy to make about a teacher but is very hard to defend against. Schools, and particularly Private Schools can be jealous and 'bitchy' places sometimes.

As a person Marion was a cheerful, bright, and energetic Teacher of the boys and as boisterous, bouncy and fun loving as they were.

Marion's classroom Teaching methods were non-traditional in many ways ... they innovative and ahead of their time. Her teaching approach was possibly more like the 'forest school' approach that is popular today - but without the forest.

Marion was a free 'spirit' and was not as prim and proper as some of the other female teachers in the lower school. With her hair down and loose and with her bohemian style of dressing Marion didn't fit the image of the pearl wearing private school teachers 'across the way' in the Lower School. It was clear that some of the other teacher's 'looked down' upon her.

When Marion read aloud a story at the end of the day it was from story books that were not picture books i.e. Marion's books were 'chapter books' possibly meant for children several years older, yet the children in Marion's class were mesmerized with her reading of them.

Marion did not 'baby' the boys as many Teacher's of young children tend to do. As an example: The boys were provided with real tools and real objects such as typewriters and computers which the boys then used the real tools to dismantle. On another occasion when I was helping out, after swimming lessons at the TSS pool one chilly day Marion, in an act that made the boys feel 'very grown up', asked me to make all of the boys a cup of 'hot-ish' sweet weak tea to drink to warm them up. Up to that time my son had never had tea before. I thought - why not - and he has enjoyed it ever since!

On another day one of the fathers, who was a professional jockey, bought a horse to school and wore his jockey silks and all his gear. He allowed the boys to ride the horse. Marion taught the boys a smattering of French instead of 'sit down' and 'stand up' it was asseyez vous and levez vous.

The days were never dull in Marion's classes - and we loved her for it.

Marion enjoyed Line Dancing in her spare time and even invited a few of us (the mums) to join her one time in Line Dancing Classes at Southport RSL Club. She spoke often of wishing to travel on the Orient Express. One winter day she wore a black beret to school which we all joked would look very appropriate for her overseas travels.

Our family was shocked and heartbroken to hear that Marion had disappeared.

Wherever you are, dear Marion, we miss you.

My 4 year old son was in Marion's class at TSS the year before she disappeared. I am very grateful that Marion was my son's teacher. The boys were taught to be independent, resilient, resourceful and thoughtful. At age 4, my son learned to read and write in Marions' class, so Marion allowed him to borrow readers.

As a mum I volunteered a lot in Marion's classroom. I am an Early Childhood Teacher so I was able to view the classroom with a "teacher's eye". I spent a lot of time with Marion in the classroom.

At no time did I see Marion interfere with any of the boys. When I heard in the podcast that she had been accused of that I instantly thought that she had been falsely and vengefully accused. An accusation such as that is easy to make about a teacher but is very hard to defend against. Schools, and particularly Private Schools can be jealous and 'bitchy' places sometimes.

As a person Marion was a cheerful, bright, and energetic Teacher of the boys and as boisterous, bouncy and fun loving as they were.

Marion's classroom Teaching methods were non-traditional in many ways ... they innovative and ahead of their time. Her teaching approach was possibly more like the 'forest school' approach that is popular today - but without the forest.

Marion was a free 'spirit' and was not as prim and proper as some of the other female teachers in the lower school. With her hair down and loose and with her bohemian style of dressing Marion didn't fit the image of the pearl wearing private school teachers 'across the way' in the Lower School. It was clear that some of the other teacher's 'looked down' upon her.

When Marion read aloud a story at the end of the day it was from story books that were not picture books i.e. Marion's books were 'chapter books' possibly meant for children several years older, yet the children in Marion's class were mesmerized with her reading of them.

Marion did not 'baby' the boys as many Teacher's of young children tend to do. As an example: The boys were provided with real tools and real objects such as typewriters and computers which the boys then used the real tools to dismantle. On another occasion when I was helping out, after swimming lessons at the TSS pool one chilly day Marion, in an act that made the boys feel 'very grown up', asked me to make all of the boys a cup of 'hot-ish' sweet weak tea to drink to warm them up. Up to that time my son had never had tea before. I thought - why not - and he has enjoyed it ever since!

On another day one of the fathers, who was a professional jockey, bought a horse to school and wore his jockey silks and all his gear. He allowed the boys to ride the horse. Marion taught the boys a smattering of French instead of 'sit down' and 'stand up' it was asseyez vous and levez vous.

The days were never dull in Marion's classes - and we loved her for it.

Marion enjoyed Line Dancing in her spare time and even invited a few of us (the mums) to join her one time in Line Dancing Classes at Southport RSL Club. She spoke often of wishing to travel on the Orient Express. One winter day she wore a black beret to school which we all joked would look very appropriate for her overseas travels.

Our family was shocked and heartbroken to hear that Marion had disappeared.

Wherever you are, dear Marion, we miss you.

Last edited:
I started listening to the podcast from the beginning paying closer attention to detail.

Of note the initial police notes at Byron stated that 80 000 was wired overseas and did not mention as many transactions.

Was this what really happened or did the policeman not bother following up with the bank and just got confused about the 80 000 which was the total removed in total and make up the rest?
It’s very confusing for everyone with so much conflicting information. I can see if this was incorrectly written down further investigation may lead to assuming she just moved overseas and sent the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025