Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, June 1997 #11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Estelle re Trenwest:

Looked into by the police pre-mid-2021 and no record was found. Wonder what sort of eyes they were looking with at that time.

Yes I wonder. However, I don't know the story of Trendwest. I know about timeshare, have been to listen to what they have to offer and stayed free once on The Sunshine Coast in a great apartment there but still wasn't tempted. The sales people work on Commission.

So I assume that a Remakel was working there in 1997? Was it RB? It would have been a great place to find victims. However, they were only interested in married or de facto partners. They asked about your income and so on.

Did Trendwest rent a room at the Brisbane Arts Centre? What's the connection?

Yes I wonder. However, I don't know the story of Trendwest. I know about timeshare, have been to listen to what they have to offer and stayed free once on The Sunshine Coast in a great apartment there but still wasn't tempted. The sales people work on Commission.

So I assume that a Remakel was working there in 1997? Was it RB? It would have been a great place to find victims. However, they were only interested in married or de facto partners. They asked about your income and so on.

Did Trendwest rent a room at the Brisbane Arts Centre? What's the connection?

From memory, MB told SL the tall dark stranger she saw in her car at the petrol station was someone she met at the Arts Centre, which is just across the road from the Trenwest timeshare place, which someone who worked on the payroll there at that time distinctly remembers processing the name Remakel as it was so unusual (only 100 or so in the world in fact, and no others discernible in Australia). But the police looked into it in pre-mid-2021 to no avail. Move along all, nothing to see here.

From memory, MB told SL the tall dark stranger she saw in her car at the petrol station was someone she met at the Arts Centre, which is just across the road from the Trenwest timeshare place, which someone who worked on the payroll there at that time distinctly remembers processing the name Remakel as it was so unusual (only 100 or so in the world in fact, and no others discernible in Australia). But the police looked into it in pre-mid-2021 to no avail. Move along all, nothing to see here.
These aren't the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business. Move along :p Hahahahaa

So you think RB could have worked there on commission in 1996/7? Was the address in Brisbane city? That's a long way for him to travel from Wollongbar each day whether in a bus or by car.

Or was he a client or a potential timeshare client? I can't imagine him being any of these actually unless he was like me and agreed to stay free at one of their places in return for listening to a two hour sales talk and buying expensive meals there. They would not have been interested in Marion as she did not have a partner. However, MB or RB could have taken the other one along who pretended to be partner.

Couldn't there have been an event at the Arts Centre where they could have met or even arranged to meet for the first time?

I finally found the timestamp of when aliases were read out to DdH.
I've updated the list with new additions or clarifications in pink. Also thanks to @chicken96 's list.

Full alias list
NSW Police are aware of over 30 aliases linked to RB, nationally and internationally.
Source: Inquest Day 6, 35mins and NAA file

Willy Coppenolle
Willy David Coppenolle
Willy Wouters
Wouters Willy

David Fredy
Fredy David
Ricky David

Frederick David de Hedervary
Frederick Dehedervary (no space after 'de')
Frederick De Hedervaru (ends in U instead of Y)
Frederike De Hevedervary (female spelling)
Francis David de Hedervary

Chaim Frederick David Dehedervary
Chaim de Hedervary
Chaim Frederick David
Chaim David

Richard Lloyd West
Richard Westbury
Richard Lloyd Westbury
Ric West
Ric Richard
Ric Blum

Fernand Nocolas Remakel
Roger Lauzoney
Roger Lazoney

Bernard Dupont (RB claims it’s his friend)
Christopher Dupont
Atilla / Urtilla Dupont

Tony Grecca
Anthony Grech

Christopher Stein
Fleming (last name)
Wilson (last name)
Charles Guyon / Geaton
Gaeton Le Brousko

Frank Melon
Remy Lajoie

Zabdeel Zilly / Zadil Zwilling
Guy de Vio / de Veo

Phillipe Dent / Yeleek Dint
Fleming & Wilson… do we know first name?

So you think RB could have worked there on commission in 1996/7? Was the address in Brisbane city? That's a long way for him to travel from Wollongbar each day whether in a bus or by car.

Or was he a client or a potential timeshare client? I can't imagine him being any of these actually unless he was like me and agreed to stay free at one of their places in return for listening to a two hour sales talk and buying expensive meals there. They would not have been interested in Marion as she did not have a partner. However, MB or RB could have taken the other one along who pretended to be partner.

Couldn't there have been an event at the Arts Centre where they could have met or even arranged to meet for the first time?

I am sure the person claimed the Remakel worked there after 2000, I will re-listen to the podcast tomorrow and confirm

Trendwest - 130 Bundall Rd,Bundall, QLD, 4217. Bundall. Gold Coast, QLD,
Art Centre - 135 Bundall Rd, Gold Coast, Queensland 4217

I think Trendwest HO has since moved

Do we know when the DH's lived in Miami, Gold coast ? Cant imagine he would commute from NSW

I am sure the person claimed the Remakel worked there after 2000, I will re-listen to the podcast tomorrow and confirm

Do we know when the DH's lived in Miami, Gold coast ? Cant imagine he would commute from NSW

So there's an Arts Centre on the Gold Coast.

I thought RB's daughter lives at Miami and her parents are staying there now.

If he was apparently on the payroll he would have been unlikely to have been a client. Who owned this business? What is the connection to RB? Distance is no object: He'll ship his family to another suburb and trot women halfway round the world if it's to his advantage. it's just another of those amazing coincidences, like both MB and JO tiki-touring around the very area in the UK where RB lived some years before.

Imagine that his pursuit of women is executed like it's his full-time job - he identifies them, catches them and reels them in. Finds out their interests, dreams and weaknesses, then exploits them. It might take months, or years: he might have two or three on the go at any one time.

If he did work there after 2000, it's either truly brazen or he was still using an account in that name for some reason. If it was him, of course.

If that is correct, then this should actually read Willy David Coppenolle:

Sept 2005

FdH pays $285 from joint account to purchase a safe deposit box. It’s a secure draw in the vault at Commonwealth Bank in Sydney’s Martin Place branch, which only he can access (Ep: Inquest Part 8).

Dec 2007
FdH surrenders safe deposit box at Commonwealth Bank Sydney (Ep: Inquest Part 8).

I'm not sure now, I'm getting confused too. I thought the Pitt St Branch account was in the name of Willy Coppenolle. I'll have to revisit the inquest again.

Also want to point out that he had a 2011 passport in the name of Willy David Coppenolle which WAS associated with a Commonwealth bank account.
I got that from the inquest. Does anyone have any more details on it?

Sorry, @Peralta I was confused. An authority to open a vault drawer in the name Willy David Coppenolle on 20/9/2005 at the Martin Place Branch, Sydney was paid from the joint account of FDdH. Access only to FDdH. Surrendered 16/7/2007. I believe there is another vault drawer currently open but I don't have details.

Last edited:
Just listening to podcast Conversations 12.

Commonwealth Manager
The found the 1997 supervisor for Commonwealth Byron. His name was BC.
He was NOT the manager of the retail section of bank who passed away in early 2019 and never named.

Sally told BC her memory of going to the Commonwealth Byron in Oct 1997.
She explained where the bank was, how it was laid out and where the photocopier was.
He agreed that it was the old Commonwealth bank.

The Commonwealth in Byron has since moved location, so it can't be argued that Sally is simply remembering the Commonwealth bank's layout because she's been in it recently.

It was definitely Commonwealth Bank
All this to say, Sally has a very vivid memory of the Commonwealth Byron from 1997. She went there the day after she called tele-banking and they informed her that Marion’s account was being drained by daily $5k withdrawals. This was the only bank of her mum’s she knew about at the time.

I also have a note from inquest that says Marion was a customer first at Commonwealth then at Colonial. But I’ll be damned if I can find the precise source.

Although I have doubted it in the past, along with everyone else wondering if Sally was confusing the Commonwealth with Colonial (that later became Commonwealth), I am now convinced Marion had two banks. There's no question about it, IMO.

The problem
Neither bank has sufficient records from 1997 to prove, disprove, or clarify the withdrawals and transfers mentioned in police notes and Sally’s tele-banking call.

@Eyespywithmylittleeye , you're right! It's Rich Richard.

I don't know when ALL the aliases were used, but here's a start on some of them, mostly the ones used in Australia. Pink = new passport / name change.

Main alias list
1939 – Willy Coppenolle (alleged name at orphanage)
Mar 1969Willy Wouters (Belgian passport #1, arr Perth via UK, residency)
Mar 1971 – Fredy David (possible o/s passport, arr Aus on Chusan from UK)
Feb 1976Frederick David de Hedervary (Aus passport #2-4, married DW, citizenship)
1976-77 – Roger Lauzoney (possible 0/s passport, ID jail Lux also with FDdH passport)
1985 – Chaim Frederick David Dehedervary (NSW license)
1987Richard Lloyd West (Aus passport #5, name change after long absence overseas)
24 Aug 1988 – Fernand Nocolas Remakel (QLD license)
2 Oct 1992 – Fernand Nocolas Remakel (QLD license renewed)
1992Richard Westbury (Aus passport #6)
10 Dec 1994 – FN Remakel (Le Courrier rencontre)
17 Jun 1997 – Richard Westbury (dep Aus) (Marion dep 22 Jun)
31 Jul 1997 – Richard Westbury (arr Aus) (Marion arr 2 Aug)
Oct 98-5 Jan 99 – Frederick David De Hedervary (as known by GGB, police served AVO)
1998-99 – Ric West (as known by JO)
Nov 1999Rich Richard (Aus passport #7, travel with JO)
May 2002Frederick David de Hedervary (Aus passport #8, name change to previous name)
2011 Willy David Coppenolle (Aus passport #9, CBA bank)
CurrentRic Blum (Aus passport #10, name change possibly when podcast came out)
Dec 1989 Willie Wouters by deed poll from FDH (Inquest day 7 4hrs 20mins) but FDH may be an error as in 1987 already had passport RLW, but I thought it was worth mentioning as AC questioned going back to the WW name of the past. .

The dispute over the statement dates

do you think its possible that RB after been approached by the police on the 8th of June, and then called the police himself on the 9th, gave a statement to the police with out DDH's knowledge, thinking he could talk his way out of this and make it all go away.

I get the feeling DDH first statement was in September, even thought the questioning around the date was a bit confusing during the inquest

Meaning he never fessed up to the original statement in June to his wife ? and I can imagine when he debriefed her after her inquest appearance the topic of the June statement came up, he has to keep on denying it because and now he is caught in yet another lie with her

Last edited:

Just adding to the above -

It is alleged someone by the name of Remakel worked at Trendwest between approx. 2001 and 2004 ( because that was the period of time the person whom claims to recognize the name from the payroll worked there)

I assume Sales people could have worked at any location and possible on the phone as well (telephone sales ) - they wouldn't work in the head office.

Selling timeshare would be a good fit for RB's transferable skills

He wouldn't worked under any name he was claiming assistance under (IMO a few)

I don't think this really helps finding Marion, but does leave a possibility that if he had been doing this gig in the late 90's this could be how they met ? unlikely IMO but there is a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryJane 55