Australia - Melissa Hoskins, 32, Olympian cyclist, struck & killed by ute, husband Rohan Dennis arrested and charged - Medindie, SA, 30 Dec 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wasn't there a DV incident in Spain or somewhere a few years ago?
He certainly got on the wrong side of the Spanish authorities... apart from a report that could have been him chasing his wife up a street , with menace. ( it was an Australian cyclist ) Rohan managed to peeve folks in Spain ( in Girona ) by flouting Corona rules, which required him to remain within a certain radius of his residence, those rules apparently not for Rohan. He was fined a few times , then apprehended and held for a few hours.

Back in Feb., SAPOL asked for time to do a Major Accident Reconstruction in regard to this death of Mrs Dennis, which means SAPOL re create the conditions, and the significance of what happened by replicating the accident. Using physics, engineering, etc to understand exactly when the Amarok accelerated, how long it took to reach the point where the Amarok rammed into her, and at what velocity.. whether this proves Rohan's perspective of the matter or whether it proves SAPOL"s conclusions will be made a bit clearer.

He certainly got on the wrong side of the Spanish authorities... apart from a report that could have been him chasing his wife up a street , with menace. ( it was an Australian cyclist ) Rohan managed to peeve folks in Spain ( in Girona ) by flouting Corona rules, which required him to remain within a certain radius of his residence, those rules apparently not for Rohan. He was fined a few times , then apprehended and held for a few hours.

I think it was debunked that Rohan was involved in the Oct 2021 DV incident in Andorra. The perp was 29 years old, and Rohan was 31 at the time.

Rohan Dennis (born 28 May 1990) ...... Link

The identity of the rider has not been revealed, but state broadcaster RTVA reports that he is Australian, while Poble Andorrà reports it is a 29-year-old.

One of the aspects of re creating a traffic incident, where death occurs, is, the matter of intent. What was intended by the actions of the driver, and what, if any , where the intentions of the victim. It is reasonable to assume that the driver was not recklessly driving and speeding for an extended period of time, all the way back to the scene of the incident, otherwise police would have been notified before it got to the suburban street. That the element of recklessness began at a specific time, at a specific location.

The intent comes into it as to what purpose the increase in speed and recklessness was instigated.

Since this was his own street, where he lived, where his own children lived, a familiar street, the speed limit well known, and that the driver had adhered to that limit ( I think it is always 40kph in Adelaide, but I'm up for correction, 25 near schools and kindy's, etc ) before this incident, otherwise he would have been reported, something must have provoked the driver to hit the pedal. Some catalyst, some factor that resulted in this outcome.

Last edited:
As a refresher, these are the South Australian penalties for the charges against Rohan Dennis - unless he somehow pleads down to lesser offences.

I can't find if there are mandatory minimum penalties for the charges, so I am presuming there aren't any mandatory minimums.

Driving Without Due Care
As no penalty is stated for a basic offence, the penalty is a fine of up to $2,500 and 3 demerit points Link

Causing Death by Dangerous Driving
Penalties for this offence are significant and even a first offence can carry a maximum sentence of 15 years imprisonment. If the offence is found to be an aggravated offence it can carry a term of life imprisonment. The penalty for this offence will also involve a licence disqualification of at least 10 years, or possibly longer, if a court orders. Link

Endangering Life
Basic offence: 15 years / disqualification 5 years or more where motor vehicle involved
Aggravated offence: 18 years / disqualification 5 years or more where motor vehicle involved Link

I think it is always 40kph in Adelaide, but I'm up for correction, 25 near schools and kindy's, etc

It is definitely 40 kph in his street and most of his suburb. Link

(Not always 40kph ... usually 50kph on suburban streets, 60 kph on 'main' streets unless designated otherwise. But a lot of suburbs have cut the speed limit to 40kph, so we really have to watch the signs when driving because there are fixed speed cameras all over the place)

imo

What an absolute debacle no matter which way you look at this case.
My gut feeling is Rohan Dennis will not serve any jail time for Melissa’s death.
2 reasons….his 2 children.
IMO only

What I am hoping is that he will receive prison time and that Melissa's family will care for the children. Her sister and parents seem very loving of Melissa.

I hate to think what his children may be subjected to during their childhoods due to his quick and seemingly uncontrollable bad temper.

What I am hoping is that he will receive prison time and that Melissa's family will care for the children. Her sister and parents seem very loving of Melissa.

I hate to think what his children may be subjected to during their childhoods due to his quick and seemingly uncontrollable bad temper.
Agree 100%.

Thise are big penalties, SA, but it is a big crime and costs the community millions each year, and affects hundreds of people's mental health. It is , in any degree of perspective , even when no malice is evident, a huge crime.

I genuinely do not believe that him having custody of those children will be any barrier to his imprisonment, considering they have grandparents and aunts , uncles, ect,.. otherwise, the prisons would be empty, most men in prison have children on the outside..

I would think Child Services would be keeping a close and careful eye on that family, at least, I hope so. Surely, they would.

To me,, his only defence is some mechanical problem, of a lethal sort, the sort that has all vehicles recalled to the factory for destruction, a burial of Amaroks, that caused his accelerator to malfunction at the same time his brakes did, while blinding him, and that would be a rare occurrence.

Last edited:
To me,, his only defence is some mechanical problem, of a lethal sort, the sort that has all vehicles recalled to the factory for destruction, a burial of Amaroks, that caused his accelerator to malfunction at the same time his brakes did, while blinding him, and that would be a rare occurrence.

And, coincidentally, while his wife was in front of the vehicle ... then on the bonnet, then trying to reach the door handle.

Dennis’s court case today.

“Court documents obtained by the ABC show police will allege Mr Dennis drove "recklessly or at a speed or in a manner which was dangerous to any person".

"And by that culpable negligence, recklessness or other conduct, caused the death of Melissa Marie Dennis," the document states.

Mr Dennis will appear in court again on August 6.”

I found that Dennis was originally charged with different offences… somewhere along the line they were changed though. I think that the final charges will be decided in court today.

“Dennis was initially charged with causing death by dangerous driving, driving without due care and endangering life. The first of those charges is a major indictable offence, with a maximum jail term of 15 years.”

This is just for a comparison, this woman is 69, and off to prison for 2 years., reckless, dangerous driving etc.. ... This was in Western Australia, but the law and the penalties are the same, generally, on this matter.. 69 and in ill health, as well, but there it is.. ..

The final charges against Olympic cyclist Rohan Dennis have been set following months of police investigations and negotiations between prosecutors and his defence team over the death of his wife and fellow Olympian Melissa Hoskins.

Mr Dennis will answer to cause death by dangerous driving and aggravated driving without due care charges in the alleged killing of Ms Hoskins.

Jessica Kurtzer, appearing for Mr Dennis, asked for 12 weeks for her client to determine his pleas.

Magistrate John Wells accepted the request and set down October 30 for Mr Dennis to answer the charges.

If found guilty, the champion cyclist faces a maximum penalty of 15 years in prison.”

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rythmico
Back