AUSTRALIA - Natural gas explosion, one missing, five injured, Whalan, NSW, 1 June 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

iamshadow21

Amateur Forensics Geek
Reaction score

Very close to me, but I was out of town today and didn't hear it. Brother in law who lives incredibly close to ground zero was also out of the suburb when it happened, he's fine, but wasn't sure with road closures when and how he was going to be able to get home.

It's winter. People have their heaters on, and if it's not electric or combustion, it's natural gas. I have one on right next to me. It's terrifying to realise that that heater could flatten your home.

Thanks for posting, watching and hoping they can get to them quickly.
Yeah, this is pretty much my backyard. Tenish minutes drive from where I'm lying right now on my sofa. If I'd have been home, I have no doubt I'd have heard and felt it. It sounds like it was heard in Penrith, which is twice as far. But I was up the mountains in Leura having lunch with friends an hour away.

TBH, if I had heard and felt it, I probably would have thought it was more blasting for the Western Sydney Airport rail line tunnel, just louder than usual. It's been going on for over a year. We feel blasts and vibration all day, every day.

MOO

Daily Mail has a picture of the dog that was rescued, being held by a rescue worker, because of course they do.

1717231098500.png

Looks like they took it from Fire and Rescue's official site.

Fire and Rescue has some pretty epic footage and stills taken from their drone that they obviously sent up some time before sunset. It's like looking at an earthquake site, incredibly localised to one dwelling. It's just a pile of debris. All my thoughts going to them and the trapped individual right now.

Fire and Rescue has some pretty epic footage and stills taken from their drone that they obviously sent up some time before sunset. It's like looking at an earthquake site, incredibly localised to one dwelling. It's just a pile of debris. All my thoughts going to them and the trapped individual right now.

Really get the scale of it from those photos :(
It’s absolutely bucketing down where I am in the North of Sydney, am keeping fingers crossed.

Very close to me, but I was out of town today and didn't hear it. Brother in law who lives incredibly close to ground zero was also out of the suburb when it happened, he's fine, but wasn't sure with road closures when and how he was going to be able to get home.

It's winter. People have their heaters on, and if it's not electric or combustion, it's natural gas. I have one on right next to me. It's terrifying to realise that that heater could flatten your home.
Yes me too (gas heater). I think gas explosion was the likely cause of the apartment fire in Meadowbank a while ago as well. A man lost his life in that incident :(

Fire and Rescue update.

No sign of the missing individual yet. They're not giving up hope, mentioning Stuart Diver.

More drone pictures of the site and rescue efforts.

Rescue crews have spent the night searching for a woman who is feared to be trapped beneath a partially collapsed townhouse after an explosion in Sydney's west.

"There's been a range of complications throughout the operation, we had a gas leak early on which took a significant amount of time to shut down," he told reporters today.

"There was also a fire underneath the rubble in the collapsed area and from time to time that's been flaring up, they've been unable to reach the fire directly due to the debris."

Fewtrell said a detection dog brought in found no indication of activity amongst the debris, but he believed the timeframe they were operating in "was within the window of survivability".

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back