Australia & New Zealand - COVID-19 Coronavirus

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Forced 14-day hotel quarantines begin for all Australian airport arrivals

NSW Police urged friends and families to stay away from Sydney Airport- where the doors were locked this morning- saying those being quarantined would not be able to see or communicate with their loved ones.
Returned travellers will live out their 14 days of quarantine in state-funded hotel rooms, with doors guarded by state police, defence personnel or private security guards.
With two-thirds of the country's 3635 cases from or closely linked to overseas travellers, vacant hotels and other accommodation services are being used to ensure no more travellers have a chance to spread the disease.
Police are already looking for 33 medics trying to avoid the quarantine after returning from a convention in South America.

Forced 14-day hotel quarantines begin for all Australian airport arrivals

SA police taking virus-related reports

Reports of people breaching self-quarantine and self-isolation orders are flooding into South Australian police.
The force says it's currently handling a large number of reports from members of the public related to both people and businesses suspected of not complying with current restrictions.
It says a process has been established with SA Health to triage the calls to determine the most appropriate response which may include police attendance.

SA police taking virus-related reports - 9News

WA schools go 'pupil free' from April 3

The Western Australia government will stop formal school classes from April 3, to try and halt the spread of COVID-19.
Until then, the government is keeping school gates open but it is encouraging parents to keep their children at home.
Online and distance learning is expected to be rolled out in term two.

"Children of people who need their children to attend school, to enable them to maintain employment and those children in vulnerable families, like children living with grandparents, are encouraged to attend school, " WA Premier Mark McGowan said.

WA schools go 'pupil free' from April 3

'Fortress Tasmania' locks down over virus

A Tasmanian hospital worker has been diagnosed with the coronavirus, as the island state moves to keep all non-essential travellers out.
Three further cases of COVID-19 were confirmed in Tasmania on Saturday, bringing the state's total to 62.
Among them is an emergency department worker from at Mersey Community Hospital, near Devonport.

More than 700 spot checks have been conducted to make sure Tasmanians are complying with quarantine and self-isolation rules.
Of those, 18 people have been found flouting restrictions and Premier Peter Gutwein warned they could face charges.
"Anybody who was found to be blatantly, blatantly breaching those rules, they will be charged and summoned," he told reporters.
'Fortress Tasmania' locks down over virus - 9News

On a personal note, everyone is doing okay in my family, we're scattered over 2 states but keeping close contact as usual. Things are changing day to day, when I think back to a conversation with a friend on 2nd March, we were discussing how bad could this get? It's just a flu, right? Wow, I've been turned on my head how nasty it turned within days of our talk. :( My brother works for Qld health, former nurse now counsellor, was very concerned when it hit the headlines about this 'novel' coronavirus, he buckled down and hoped everyone else did the same. He can't isolate/work from home, of course, so I'm worried about him as he's in a high risk category.
It would be good if members can talk about their experiences or if you're isolated alone, tell us what you're up to, how you're coping. :)
I got most of my items on my grocery list, Yay! Who'd a thought I'd celebrate a shopping trip?! :p

On a personal note, everyone is doing okay in my family, we're scattered over 2 states but keeping close contact as usual. Things are changing day to day, when I think back to a conversation with a friend on 2nd March, we were discussing how bad could this get? It's just a flu, right? Wow, I've been turned on my head how nasty it turned within days of our talk. :( My brother works for Qld health, former nurse now counsellor, was very concerned when it hit the headlines about this 'novel' coronavirus, he buckled down and hoped everyone else did the same. He can't isolate/work from home, of course, so I'm worried about him as he's in a high risk category.
It would be good if members can talk about their experiences or if you're isolated alone, tell us what you're up to, how you're coping. :)
I got most of my items on my grocery list, Yay! Who'd a thought I'd celebrate a shopping trip?! :p
I'm okay! Working on my garden, doing lots of cooking and playing board games with my kids. It's actually lovely spending so much time with them without the normal rushing around.

Coronavirus live updates: Tough new stance from two states; Australian public gatherings limited to two people; ban on evictions for renters; over-70s urged to stay home and self isolate

If you leave your home and it is not for one of these four reasons, you are taking a deadly risk.
That was the message from Prime Minister Scott Morrison, who told Australians today the self-isolation restrictions were now at a level where you should remain in your home at all times unless you were doing the following;

• Buying essential supplies
  • To work, if unable to work from home
  • To exercise
  • To attend personal medical appointments, or for compassionate reasons
"Every single Australian needs to take this seriously or community transmission could get out of control and we could have a situation as terrible as even they are seeing in the US at the moment," Mr Morrison said.
Australia's Chief Medical Officer Dr Brendan Murphy said in order for coronavirus social distancing to be effective, at least 90 per cent of the population needed to adhere to the rules all of the time.

NSW Premier Gladys Berejikilian has urged people in their twenties and thirties to not break isolation rules.
"You are not immune from this and even if you are, you risk spreading it to people you love or spreading it to people in the community who are vulnerable and will lose their life because of this," she said.

Tasmania has recorded its first death from coronavirus.
A woman in her 80s died in hospital in the state's north-west this morning.
The state announced tough new rules amid the outbreak, preventing non-residents from visiting.
The national death toll is now 17.

Victorian premier Daniel Andrews has declared Victoria will enforce the new stage 3 restrictions.
Police have the power to slug anyone gathering in groups of more than two a $1600 on the spot fine from midnight tonight.

The new rules include indoor gatherings, with the only exemption if you live with the people.

Premier says the following are the ONLY reasons you should leave your home:
- buying food/supplies
- getting medical care
- exercise (maximum 2 ppl, or those in your household)
- work or education (if you can’t do either from home)
Social distancing required in all situations pic.twitter.com/DdgIKM0T0Q

40 airline passengers are sick

Sydney
hotels were yesterday filled with 1400 people who arrived at the airport and transported straight into 14-days controlled quarantine.
"Of that group, 40 remain in a deeper isolation through concerns in relation to possibly having the virus," Police Commissioner Mick Fuller said.
No-one is critically ill, he said.
Commissioner Mick Fuller said around 1200 Australians were expected to arrive at the airport today, and would be moved to hotels.

Tough new stance from two states

Countdown give essential workers a pay rise

Countdown is giving it's workers a 10% pay increase due to their being essential and on the front lines. The Foodstuffs chain announced something similar a few days ago.

Local clothing companies are retooling to produce medical face masks to help meet supply shortages.

Covid 19 coronavirus: Kiwi clothing manufacturer Cactus Outdoor converts factory to make face masks

And finally a bit of kiwi cheer.

Teddy bear hunt proving welcome distraction for kids during lockdown

Countdown give essential workers a pay rise

Countdown is giving it's workers a 10% pay increase due to their being essential and on the front lines. The Foodstuffs chain announced something similar a few days ago.

Local clothing companies are retooling to produce medical face masks to help meet supply shortages.

Covid 19 coronavirus: Kiwi clothing manufacturer Cactus Outdoor converts factory to make face masks

And finally a bit of kiwi cheer.

Teddy bear hunt proving welcome distraction for kids during lockdown
Awwww, I love the teddy bears and stuffed animals on display in windows, brings joy to kids and adults alike! It's such a clever idea, kiwis are so inventive, my first flatmate was a kiwi!! :)

this is not bad at all 9% so much better than the 30% from a week or so a go

Coronavirus Australia live updates

Hunt: Australia virus cases growing at 9%
7806cc984dd881efabbe597c139962ca

Gavin Fernando

Mr Hunt has commended Australians for "rising to the occasion", saying significant progress has been made to reduce the outbreak of COVID-19.

He said national coronavirus cases have been growing at around 9 per cent these last three days, compared to 25 to 30 per cent growth just over a week ago.

"This progress is early, it's significant, but now, with these additional rules around gatherings and movement, we are going the next step to help reduce again the level of infection, and to support our containment."

That drop in percentage looks pretty good. Keep it up, Aussies! I'm rooting for ya!

NZ clusters being identified, double in number.
Covid 19 coronavirus: NZ case clusters double, seven more investigated

I think it's a good thing to report on the clusters, it's actually reassuring because you can see that they are tracking the spread. Knowing that I didn't have contact with any of the currently identified clusters helps with my anxiety.

However, reporting still needs to be responsible. The Ministry of Health is already apologizing for the release of details about one individual because she is getting a lot of social media harassment now. The way her case was reported pretty much blamed her unwitting actions for infecting a dozen people. I'm not going to post the information and spread it.

And while I have no doubt that the report was accurate, in these tense times it pretty much puts a social media target on that patient's back (while she struggles with the illness herself and any guilt she may already hold).

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian confirmed more than 100,000 COVID-19 tests had been performed across the state, and added testing was being ramped up.
But she also warned that NSW would not be able to control the spread of the virus and said it was up to individuals to remain vigilant.

"We can't let our foot off the pedal, we can't relax," Ms Berejiklian said.
"Do not look at the number of cases and whether they are up or down on a day, because it doesn't take long, it doesn't take much for things to get out of control.
"At this stage we are still, to an extent, controlling the spread but we know we can't do that forever.
"This virus is virulent, it spreads really, really quickly and unfortunately too effectively and therefore we have to maintain our vigilance."

Premier warns NSW can't control coronavirus 'forever' as number of new infections remains steady

The birth of a new era, a different kind of 'normal'.

NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller has revealed the state's tough coronavirus enforcement laws are set to expire in 90 days, and that he will not seek to extend them.
The news comes as Premier Gladys Berejiklian praised people for helping flatten the COVID-19 curve in Australia's worst-affected state.

Key points:
  • Health authorities have confirmed 116 new coronavirus infections in NSW, bringing the state's total to 2,298
  • The state's tough social-distancing restrictions will be lifted on June 30
  • Until then, people can face on-the-spot fines of $1,000 for breaking social-distancing laws

NSW coronavirus lockdown timeline revealed

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceciliaesquivel2000@yahoo
Back