Australia Australia - Renata Wolanin, 40, Linden Park, SA, 2 Aug 1989

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'll be curious to see what the Coroner made of it all. Shame the inquest was done so long ago - not online. Hoping we keep copies in the law library at work. Given it's public record, should be available there or through Coroner's Court I figure.

I actually know the husband David Wehner. He is one of the most frightening people I've ever met. I don't have any doubts that he was responsible for Renata's disappearance. He is a sick individual with a disturbing fascination with sex offenders and criminals. He seems to detest women, especially when they stand up to him.He mentioned once that he had been accused of murdering his wife.

Belara, thanks for your input, and please stick around! More the merrier, and insider info is always gratefully received.

ETA: this reminds me so much of Novy Chardon, the QLD woman who simply vanished n Feb this year, and her highly dodgy husband...

Seems getting away with murder in this country is as simple as making sure a body's never found.

I'll be curious to see what the Coroner made of it all. Shame the inquest was done so long ago - not online. Hoping we keep copies in the law library at work. Given it's public record, should be available there or through Coroner's Court I figure.

I've looked for transcripts of the inquest online but there is nothing available. Have you been able to find anything in the library?

No I haven't, sorry Belara. I'm on maternity leave at the moment.

I do note, however, the AFP are now focusing attention on this case for Missing Persons Week.

I found your comments about the husband interesting.

Bumping for Renata.

I am VERY surprised there has not been another inquest into her disappearance. Particularly as the last person to see her alive admits to an argument and had issues with domestic violence. AND a witness saw a car leave the house around the time she disappeared.

There can be no doubt that she's dead, having left the house in only PJ's, no money, no purse, nothing, and has vanished all these years. HIGHLY suspicious!!!!

---

Linden Park woman vanished in 1989

The Advertiser
June 24, 2009 4:20PM

ON a cold, rainy morning in August, 1989, Renata Wolanin left her Linden Park home in her pyjamas.

She was never seen again.

Ms Wolanin, who was 40 at the time, left her Verdale Ave home barefoot in the early hours of the morning, husband David Wehner told a coronial inquest in 1991.

He said he believed his wife had ``gone for a walk'' after a fight over renovations.

In 2005, Major Crime detective Sergeant Michael Standing said police had no evidence to indicate Ms Wolanin was still alive.

A neighbour told the inquest she saw a car leave the couple's house about 4am, but could not identify it.

Ms Wolanin was presumed dead by the Coroner, but there was not enough evidence to find if her disappearance was due to murder, suicide, an orchestrated effort or accidental death.

After his initial claim for his wife's entire estate was disputed by her parents, Mr Wehner secured a $50,000 out-of-court settlement in 1992.

The family of the missing woman say they have believed for 18 years they know who killed her and hid her body.

Her brother, Andrew Wolanin, said in 2005 he was positive his sister was dead.

But he - like the investigating detectives - does not have enough evidence to prove his theory.

He said he believed there were people with information that might still help police.

---------------

Bet I can guess WHO the suspect is....

This is my most possible version of events!
They were arguing that night about whatever you can think of!
She decides to run away from him because she is scared for her own life, without telling him anything.
She is spotted walking near Mobil service station, so she managed to get away.
He is furious, can't stand rejection in any way,shape or form, decides to make her pay!
Neighbour probably sees him entering the car and leaving the house!
Then he finds her vulnerable on the road and either forces her into his car or somehow calms her down and she enters voluntarily! He than kills her mercilessly, probably strangles her with bare hands, it is personal for him. How dare you stand up against me?

Kraki, I 100% agree with you on the likely scenario. It seems pretty obvious, doesn't it? I wonder then how hubby has never been charged.. perhaps the circumstantial evidence doesn't stack up enough yet for a sure conviction..

Second scenario is pretty simple. That possible sighting of her near Mobil service station proves to be false and she's killed inside the house. Than he uses car, neighbour sees him, and he dumps or buries her body somewhere, not too far away I'd say! David Wehner, yeah, how convenient your story is? She has gone for walk. It's like he is metaphorically speaking - SHE IS GONE FOR GOOD. The only other thing that could have happened is that some evil soul other than David Wehner aproached her or picked her up/abduct her from the road but given the circumstances that almost definately didn't happen!

Well, they have probably given up by now. But if I was a detective assigned to that case I wouldn't be able to sleep well. They know it. They don't need body. He has been violent before, we even have evidence for that on the Internet for God's sake. It is beyond belief to me that they were not able to find anyone who would say something against him. They are either protecting him or they don't care! Seriously, media should publicise this story, 60 minutes should air this and I can guarantee to you that the community would be outraged and police embarrassed. Maybe than they will try and do something! Another thing missing in this story besides poor Renata is common sense. The fact that coronial inquest was held so soon after her dissapearence is rather peculiar. According to the statement given in the inquest about Daniel Sheppard,
inquest should be held at least 7 years after person vanishes so they can discuss about her being alive or deceased. In this case it happened just two years after. Why? Seems to me that inquest was held that early just because it would be a good reason for police to gradually stop working on the case. As far as police is concerned she could have ended up as Iraena Asher. They were both seen barefooted and in pyjamas - police could say. Of course, I'm being cynical but that's how ridiculous this case looks to me!

I had the unfortunate experience of working with the husband, DW, for around 18 months in 2011-2012. This man displays the hallmarks of a perpetrator of violence. He is controlling, manipulative and jealous in the workplace. He uses his physical size (He is a VERY overweight man) to influence people, and he has often over-inflated his abilities and credentials (in fact it was discovered that he was employed on the basis of almost entirely manufactured CV). Having worked closely with this man, I have no doubt that he would be capable of hurting someone - particularly someone over whom he felt he had, or deserved, control. I have strong suspicions that DW suffered from one of the dark triad of personality disorders - he certainly had narcissistic traits, and was capable of very callous, heartless manipulation for his own gain. I would not be surprised to learn that he was diagnosed as a sociopath or as having NPD.

At one point DW actually brought up Renata's disappearance with me personally - the rumour of her disappearance had been circulating at our workplace for some time - and he attempted to laugh off the idea, which I found odd considering that it was his missing wife we were discussing. No hint of grief or hurt or any emotion except ridicule of the idea. I made up my mind about the rumours that day.

Thankfully this bullying led to DW to be moved on from my workplace. His current whereabouts is not known to me or my colleagues, but my organisation received a call last year from a hospital in the Northern Territory to say that he was on life-support due to some kind of illness (not surprising given his age of 60+ and weight). DW has worked in a number of welfare and mental health roles, and if he is still working, it seems likely that he would be in this field.

Hi Sam, welcome to WS and thank you SO much for your insights into DW's personality. It really bolsters my ideas about what happened to Renata, put it that way, and very interesting about his 'creative flair' when it comes to his CV as well.

http://www.todaytonightadelaide.com.au/stories/renata-wolanin This is really frustrating case. It's hard to say anything else really at this point. I do wonder if police really wants to solve this case, maybe David Wehner has some connections in police department because of his history. Nothing makes sense here, if they really wanted they would have solved this case fairly easily. Right now, we can just hope that someone out there, other than David Wehner, knows something. Either that or body will somehow be discovered. I don't see this case being solved without these two scenarios. And one more thing, Police should at least admit their negligence.

As I watched this program, some switch went on in my head when I was hearing niece talking about Renata. And one particular sentence stood out. Renata said to her grandparents that if anything happens to her, they should give their absolute best so he doesn't get away with murder. For me, I have to say, and maybe I'm delusional, this sounds peculiar. She didn't only say: Listen, if something happens to me, he is responsible. Maybe she knew reasons why there is a greater chance for him to get away. I just wanted to share this with you, feel free to tell what are you thinking after watching this program.

An update on David Michael Wehner - This obituary appeared recently in the Chesterton Tribune - an Illinois newspaper, where David's family apparently still live. I could not find any obituary for him published in Australia, however. This seems a bit odd to me. The other odd thing is the obituary sounds like he wrote it - by that i mean that it lists many achievements which I find hard to believe are truthful - having known and worked with the man. Like everything else about this man's life, it is a bit of a mystery.

[url]http://chestertontribune.com/Obituaries%202016/david_michael_wehner_passes_away.htm
[/URL] .

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teqtoshi
Back