GUILTY Australia - Robert, 66, & Cheryl Adamson, 60, murdered, Murrumbeena, Vic, 19 Feb 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
How do the court appearances work? The school sent a warning email out to families today to say there would be a court appearance and that details might be in the media. Sounds like there weren't any - is that because he's pleading guilty?

Also what's a directions hearing, and what happens at that? Any legal gurus out there?

What I know so far: He plead guilty. I don't think they have released the motive yet. And the directions hearing is scheduled for June 27.

http://www.vcat.vic.gov.au/disputes/legal-practice/directions-hearings

A Directions Hearing is conducted by a Member of VCAT.

The purpose of a directions hearing is to set a timetable for the hearing including, if necessary:

orders for the filing and service of all material to be relied upon at the hearing and
setting a date for the actual hearing.

At the directions hearing the Member will consider alternative dispute resolution options. It also allows the Member to make directions regarding any special procedural issues requiring attention and to answer any questions about the conduct of the matter. The Directions Hearing deals with preliminary matters, not with the substance of the application or complaint.

VCAT is likely to require the client and/or the lawyer to prepare detailed written particulars of the dispute. The purpose of the particulars is to enable both VCAT and the legal practitioner to know exactly why the client is dissatisfied with the services of the legal practitioner. The client can engage another legal practitioner to prepare the particulars, at the client’s own expense.

The Member will ask each party how many witnesses they intend calling at the hearing. This helps the Member decide how many days will be required to hear the application. The Member will ask the parties to prepare a written statement for each of their witnesses. These statements should set out the evidence that each witness will give at the hearing. The statements should be set out in numbered paragraphs. The purpose of witness statements is to shorten the length of the hearing.

No evidence is taken at a Directions Hearing.

Doesn't really make sense if he's already plead guilty - colour me confused

Maybe they have to present evidence anyway, for sentencing purposes?

Maybe they have to present evidence anyway, for sentencing purposes?

Or could be seeking direction in regard to mental health issues?

The info isn't really that clear and it covers a whole lot, but sounds like something that should be done prior to him pleading.

Or could be seeking direction in regard to mental health issues?

That would be my best guess. I'll be sure to post over the next couple days if I get the details as to why.

:group hug: Thanks. I know this is a tough one for you too, ozman.

I think it goes to a sentence hearing if the plea is guilty. That's what happened with Adrian Bayley iirc.

Lots of love to you both, truthseeker and ozman :loveyou:

I'm really feeling for you - and for all friends and families involved - at this time.

Hopefully this legal process will bring some healing resolution :please:

Reading over on the Allison Baden-Clay thread tonight, and seeing the huge numbers of WS members following that, and the support and outrage and debate that is going on there, and feeling a little bit sad that Cheryl and Robert aren't going to have that kind of attention because it looks like there won't be a trial.

I know that there are others on this thread that are personally affected, and for whom it will be better that there isn't a trial, and I'm glad for them, but I'm worried that we'll all be left with a lot of unanswered questions - and yet I'm also worried that we'll get answers that we won't like.

I'm glad Allison BC has so much love and support, but the Adamsons deserve it too.

It sucks all round really.

:hug: truthseeker. It does suck all round. Allison's case has so many levels of intrigue and drama, and while I'd like to say all the attention to her case is driven by outrage and support, I think it's safe to say that people are also drawn to the narrative and mystery of it all. For whatever reason, Cheryl and Robert's murder didn't ignite the public's curiosity as much. That doesn't mean that people care less about seeing justice for Cheryl and Robert though. The sentence hearing might still reveal a lot. Things like intent and any premeditation are used to determine the sentence. On the other hand, even very thorough trials leave lots of unanswered questions e.g. what happened to Daniel Morcombe.

Truthseeker and Ozman, my deepest condolences are with you. Truth, your post last night in Allison's thread brought me to tears. It must make it all the more difficult for you to understand and deal with.
I truly hope that you all get the answers that you need. Xo

Hi all. I've been overseas, and couldn't find anything online about the directions hearing on 27th. Does anyone know what happened?

Hi all. I've been overseas, and couldn't find anything online about the directions hearing on 27th. Does anyone know what happened?

Hi Truthseeker :seeya:

Thanks for the reminder. I just had a look and couldn't find anything either.....maybe another WSer can find something though?? Weird that there would be absolutely NO reporting on it.....

Seems a bit weird to me that there's absolutely no mention of it in MSM. It seemed like a pretty high-profile case.......

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleutherine
Back