GUILTY Australia - Robert, 66, & Cheryl Adamson, 60, murdered, Murrumbeena, Vic, 19 Feb 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I haven't heard much. I think I heard something about the trial being in October, but I don't have anything to verify that with.

I haven't heard much. I think I heard something about the trial being in October, but I don't have anything to verify that with.

Thanks Ozman :seeya:

Quick Update: Tom is scheduled for a plea hearing on Monday, October 13th.

Quick Update: Tom is scheduled for a plea hearing on Monday, October 13th.

Thank you for keeping us updated, Ozman.

I'm sending lots of love to all of the families and friends involved :rose:

Thanks Ozman. It's all gone a bit quiet from our side. Do you know if the media will have access? Hoping not ...

Thanks Marlywings, but what does that actually mean? What are they trying to achieve at that kind of hearing?

Thanks Marlywings, but what does that actually mean? What are they trying to achieve at that kind of hearing?

Hi Truthseeker :seeya: I found this online, as I didn't know either:

If the accused pleads guilty or is found guilty, the court will conduct a plea hearing.

At this hearing the prosecution and the defence will present information they want the judge to take into account when deciding on the sentence.

At the plea hearing you may have the opportunity to tell the court, in your own words, about the impact of the crime on you. You do this by making a Victim Impact Statement.

The Victim Impact Statement is one of a number of factors the judge will take into account when sentencing the offender.

After the prosecution has addressed the judge, and any Victim Impact Statements have been read out or given to the judge, the defence will present information to the judge.

The defence may call people to give ‘character’ evidence and/or psychological evidence about the convicted offender. Some of this information may be difficult for you to hear.

http://www.opp.vic.gov.au/Witnesses-and-Victims/The-Court-Process/The-plea-hearing

The man who randomly stabbed a Melbourne couple to death wanted to know what it was like to kill someone and had fantasies about it, a court has heard.

Hemming's lawyer Damian Sheales, and his treating prison psychiatrist, told the court their client had shown no empathy for his actions, or provided any detail about why he had carried out the killings. They also acknowledged there was no evidence he would not act similarly again in the event he was released.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-...dered-melbourne-couple-in-thrill-kill/5809142

The court heard he chose the Adamsons on a whim because he knew an elderly couple lived at the home, and he thought it was better to kill older people than young victims.

Hemming has admitted knocking on the couple's door at 6:00am on February 19 after a night of drinking and asking them if he could use their telephone.

When Mr and Mrs Adamson let him in, Hemming set upon them with a knife he had ordered off the internet.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-...dered-melbourne-couple-in-thrill-kill/5809142

Hemming's lawyer Damian Sheales, and his treating prison psychiatrist, told the court their client had shown no empathy for his actions, or provided any detail about why he had carried out the killings.

......."It's the most fathomless case I've come across in all circumstances," Mr Sheales said.

"As you can imagine, his own family are shattered."

......"He's a sociopath ... there's no feeling, no empathy, no care ... it's truly terrifying.

"There's nothing to indicate in any way that he's not going to remain a danger."

Hemming has Asperger's syndrome, which was discussed as a possible cause for the attack, but his psychiatrist told the court people with Aspergers were more likely to be vulnerable victims in the community than perpetrators.

767270-d1e0eaa0-5275-11e4-bb6c-6a17830799ac.jpg

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...f-it-court-hears/story-fni0fee2-1227088767300

He is DEEPLY, DEEPLY disturbed :facepalm:

It's horrific reading the details of the murder in the Herald-Sun article.

Hemming initially denied he had killed the pair, but broke after two-and-a-half hours of questioning.

``Alright, yeah I did it. I was responsible for it,’’ he said.

He justified killing the much-loved couple because they were old.

``Morally, it’s better to kill someone old than young,’’ he said.

He offered little explanation for why he killed them, other than saying he was drunk and lost common sense over his fantasies.

The court heard his interview was ``matter of fact’’, showing no emotion.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...f-it-court-hears/story-fni0fee2-1227088767300

Was he receiving any psychiatric treatment at the time of the killings? Does anybody know?

He'd evidently been fantasising about this for a long time - and he is obviously exceedingly mentally unwell - was this picked up or was he able to 'fly under the radar', so to speak?

And I'm sorry if this offends anyone connected with his family, but I simply cannot believe that there were no warning signs. I've said that from the beginning and it's even clearer to me now after reading about his fantasy life and drinking binges (he lived at home, it would have been visible, surely)......did no one notice all was not well??!

Or was his odd behaviour written off as part of the Asperger's, I wonder?

:facepalm: BIG warning sign:

Hemming had tragically told his mother months earlier how he was preoccupied with killing someone and she had organised for him to see a psychologist but he cancelled the appointment.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/t...ourt-hears-20141013-1159e9.html#ixzz3Fzd7TQRj

bbm. Why on earth, if someone tells you that, do you just allow them to cancel the appointment and carry on?

She could have contacted mental health - they could have assessed him to determine if he was a danger to others. And if he was, they would section him and he could have received the help he needed.

It's not his mother's fault, of course, but if your child tells you that and then doesn't go to the psych, surely you'd stay with it and do anything you needed to get them the help they require?

That boggles my mind.

I wish I could un-know some of this.

Dear dear Cheryl. She deserved to grow old, adore grandchildren, celebrate holidays and generally keep lighting up the lives of everyone around her. No-one deserved this less. I wish I could stop picturing her in pyjamas trying to save Robert. And that her instincts were not to open the door initially, breaks my heart.

I feel sick.

I wish I could un-know some of this.

Dear dear Cheryl. She deserved to grow old, adore grandchildren, celebrate holidays and generally keep lighting up the lives of everyone around her. No-one deserved this less. I wish I could stop picturing her in pyjamas trying to save Robert. And that her instincts were not to open the door initially.

I feel sick.

I am so deeply sorry, Truthseeker. My love is with you - and all the family and friends of the Adamsons.

May they rest in peace :rose:

Ditto Isis... can't even begin to imagine how hard today has been on family & friends. So senseless, so evil.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back