Australia - Russell Hill & Carol Clay Murdered While Camping - Wonnangatta Valley, 2020 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If you are to believe Greg in the Police interview, the fateful camping trip was the first time he'd hunted deer. This is really strange to me. For your first time hunting deer, wouldn't you do it with someone who's had some experience? I suppose you could research it, but on your own the first time? Weird!

Regarding solo camping trips...

"A former roommate of Lynn’s back in the 1990s recalled Lynn flying an air ambulance out of Tullamarine."

"The man said even back then the pilot loved to walk alone in the bush, often going on multi-day hikes through Victoria’s High Country and parts of Tasmania"

What the jury wasn’t told about the missing campers case
Guns aren't my long suit but I saw someone who is into guns and hunting comment that Lynn had the wrong type of weapon for deer.

Guns aren't my long suit but I saw someone who is into guns and hunting comment that Lynn had the wrong type of weapon for deer.

Yes, I think @Hsa887 also alluded to that in one of their posts. When speaking of the shotgun, anyway.

(snipped)

The vast majority of older deer hunters hunt with a centrefire rifle and scope min 1-4.5 2-7 or 3-9 power. If a shotgun is taken to a remote camp, it is usually in case of a snake, feral animal, to test out or to muck around. It is possible he used it for deer with the slug. Maybe he came from a clay target background, and preferred to jump running Sambar in close proximity, in thick scrub / country.

Last edited:
Maybe he was homeschooled
Maybe, maybe not. I’m not particularly interested in how he was educated, I’m interested in the apparant complete lack of family, friends and childhood. It’s like he just appeared as a cadet and then a pilot.

since training to become a pilot isn’t exactly cheap I'm curious as to how he managed it.

Falconio's DNA was found on the cable tie used to bind Joanne Lees, how do you explain that?
No, it was found on Joanne Lees t-shirt. And not much. But they explained that by them having met at a road stop - most likely when the drug deal took place. A journalist has written a great book about it. Can't remember the name. Murdock should be in jail, but not for Falcano's murder.

Well, they have never found Peter Falconio and I don't believe Murdock did it.

I'm from the NT and know several retired officers, some were involved in the case. They don't think he did it either. Bradley was extremely disliked by the local police. When they saw an opportunity to get him locked up and solve a crime with international attention it was taken.

No, it was found on Joanne Lees t-shirt. And not much. But they explained that by them having met at a road stop - most likely when the drug deal took place. A journalist has written a great book about it. Can't remember the name. Murdock should be in jail, but not for Falcano's murder.
Mods - I hope I'm not too much off-topic with my post below. It is of some relevance re difficulties investigating crimes in vast isolated areas.

Is this the book BreakingNews? - by Robin Bowles - "Dead Centre". Very interesting read.

Robin Bowles' writing is very easy to read, and she seems to have a knack for getting key people talk to her.
She's very thorough with her research.

She doesn't push an opinion down the readers' throat. After reading it, I came to the conclusion that Bradley Murdoch
has done some bad things, but murdering Peter Falconio was not one of them. (JMO)

When I had read of GL's trip to the NT, I immediately thought of the Falconio case, but timeframe doesn't fit. That was in early 2000's IIRC. I hope any "disappearances" occurring during the dates of GL's trip are being looked at again.

MOO

From watching the 3.5 hour interview (which I finally finished tonight, had to keep taking breaks) I gathered the following information:

The Wonnangatta trip was Greg Lynn’s second hunting trip and was his first time both hunting in the Wonnangatta Valley AND stalking deer, as well as his first time using his new rifle + shotgun.

His first and only other hunting trip was on a pig hunting reserve. He went on that expedition alone & camped 10km away from the camp where other hunters were.

None of the rifles he used on that trip were brought with him on his Wonnangatta hunt.
Replying to myself because I can no longer edit.

Edit: GL actually told detectives that the Wonnangatta trip was his first time hunting deer in VIC

I was very tired when I got to the end of the 3.5 hour police interview & thought he said it was his first time ever hunting deer, when in fact he said it was the first time stalking (hunting) deer in VIC

Although, it may still be that GL hadn’t hunted deer before. I just wanted to clarify what he actually said in the interview.

The part about using his new rifle & shotgun for the first time still stands. Although what “using” his guns means is open to interpretation.

He says in the interview he didn't use the Barathrum for deer shooting. And that it was his 1st time at Wonnangatta Valley area. And the he had stalked deer in other areas.

The loud music is a weird detail. I don’t reckon you’d risk including it unless loud music had played at some point, because Lynn knew he had seen other folk around. But the fact that Lynn couldn’t say what the music was made me suspicious, he just said it was “the most annoying” music he could think of.Theres no way he wouldn’t remember. How did he play it with no phone reception? Did he have it downloaded in which case his phone would record the song; or does he still have a CD player ?!

Someone (I forget who sorry!) wondered if it might have been R & C who played the music. And GL just incorporated it into his story.

I also agree with the suggestion that it was played to mask other bad behaviour and s cg over an element of surprise.
GL stated in the interview the music was played on his car stereo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lbmeadows98
Back