Found Deceased Australia - Stephanie Scott, 26, Leeton, NSW, 5 April 2015 - #2 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stephanie Scott 'is with you in spirit': Leeton High School starts new term

Counsellors will be on hand when staff return to the Riverina school on Monday, as well as for the students' return to classes on Tuesday, following the alleged murder of 26-year-old teacher Stephanie Scott during the holidays

"Rest assured, if you stumble or fall, you will do so into the safe hands of many who care about you," the school posted on its Facebook page on Sunday night.

"At other times, your hands could be needed and we know you will be there.

"For Steph. For our school. For our town. For each other."

Ms Scott's sister, Robyn, urged all the students returning to school to be strong, and said her "beautiful sister Stephanie" would be with them in spirit.

"Just remember what my beautiful sister Stephanie loved. Teaching all you amazing students and seeing your smiling faces," she wrote in response to the school's Facebook post.

"You are the ones who made her want to be the most amazing teacher, friend and person she could be. Be strong Leeton. For Steph. And know she will be with you all in spirit as i know she is with her family and friends. Xxxxxxxxx"

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/stephanie...h-school-starts-new-term-20150419-1mok88.html

Exactly! I'm not convinced that the latest anecdotes are a true reflection of this man. Perhaps he is somewhat socially inept ... Or perhaps he was. I don't see any evidence presented by those who have been in contact with him in recent times that suggests that he presented as of low intelligence: (Well .... Aside from his actions with poor Stephanie of course!) The spectrum is very broad and wide ranging (I work with ASD children and see this first hand) and I think it would be a huge mistake to assume any definitive traits are present in any one person with a diagnosis.

Neither do I. For a start he can drive, and presumably passed his driving test.

For me his actions, although sloppy, took time to work out and carry out. He managed to get Stephanie out of the school, he managed to conceal her body so that it wasn't found quickly and only found with help. He managed to remove her car from the school and, again, it wasn't found for some days. He was also able to get himself to those places and home, by working out routes there and back.

I read a comment from a former friend saying he needed to be guided and talked through everything, including his job. But I find that hard to believe, if he was able to do all of the above without any guidance and help. He also "misled" authorities when talking about his movements that Sunday, which show an ability to concoct a story and cover up what he did.

I think people (who knew him) are perhaps mixing up social anxiety/awkwardness and problems with social communication with a lower intelligence, and those are very different things in my opinion.

Most of this list does correspond with what I know of Aspergers. I just wonder about the 'change v routine' issue. My understanding is that routine is actually preferred over change. But, then again, it was Vincent who wanted to leave Holland and come back to Australia...
The other irony in the list: 'strong sense of justice'!! Perhaps in Vincent's mind, but not in anyone else's view of Stephanie's fate :(

I'd go further than "preferred". Change is very distressing to those with Asperger's and individuals do not cope well with it. Often they need to deal with change before it happens. My son, for example, will be talked through any changes to the school day and when new staff are in to take his class, the Teaching Assistant will sit with him until he is settled. It can still lead to tears though, especially if the teacher is unfamiliar with his needs.

The whole "unable to cope with change" makes me think that someone who can detour from their usual daily routine to abduct and murder someone then dispose of them and their possessions in many different locations, is probably not that high on the spectrum. Just my opinion.

The only relevant thing I can think of with this case, is the literal understanding. If Stephanie had said "see you tomorrow" or "see you next week" for example, that could be taken as a firm plan. "In a minute" to my son, means in exactly 60 seconds. "See you later" means that he will definitely see someone later", so by midnight if it hasn't happened, he feels lied to!

So, if Stephanie had spoken to him, he may have misunderstood - which may have lead to confusion, disappointment and so on. Doesn't excuse any of it though.

The kids go back tomorrow, it was a staff development day today. I bet the vultures, uh I mean media, are there.

From this case perspective - I do think we need to lay off the hard time we give to the media and yes sometimes I totally think the media are guilty of overstepping their mark in many cases, but apart from insider knowledge in a crime, they are pretty much what keeps us being able to have meaningful conversations here. I think they have to play a part in being the voyeurist in a situation to slam the story home to everyone. It is easy to dismiss them and forget the hours and craft that has gone into their presence at a crime scene. They have to spend hours to get a whiff of a scent of a story and can often use resources to help police. If we didn't have access to this knowledge we wouldn't be able to sleuth. My intention here isn't to placate the media or to side with them, but just while we consider them vultures -because they may use their info to write from the perspective they see, I am using their valuable info to put together scenarios in my head - so I guess I am basically a black kite as well.

Not wanting to get people offside - kind of just saying without having info available from the courts - we rely on their sources too.

Agreed. The media have an important place in a democracy to inform the public and keep government authorities transparent - if possible.
In this case, the police need to guard their information because the alleged murderer has been charged and is due before court on 4th June 2015. They have released enough information to the media to inform the public and the rest needs to be presented before court.
However in this case due to a lack of information about the murder and murderer, it appears the media have sought to 'create' the back story from 'anecdotal' information which may or may not always be accurate. My opinion only.

Respectfully, I think they need to be held accountable for overstepping the mark in such an exploitative way. Any other profession that behaved with such gross disregard and disrespect for victims would be drawn and quartered. The conversations we could have here would be much more meaningful if they weren't muddied with outright misinformation from the media. While I understand that things can be accidentally misreported (and that is not a crime), the way they have simply made things up is vile. I'm not just talking in this case.

And while yes, the media absolutely plays a pivotal part in informing the public and keeping things transparent, they have a responsibility to report the truth and not create stories just for the sake of sales and to be first cab off the rank with breaking news. What we saw on the courier mail's front page was a perfect example of all that is wrong with journalism today. It is inexcusable. The fact that Leeton High has had to send out an alert directing students and teachers not to talk to the media today speaks volumes, IMO.

The media are important, but look at the way the ABC conduct themselves - that's journalism [they're guilty of getting a little cheap in their breakfast show sometimes, but by and large].
But News Corp? Trashy, with little ethics. That "Bride and Seek" headline was disgusting.

Perhaps its a case of when journalism is good, it's very very good, but when it's bad, it's bloody awful.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1227300088104

"Griffith Local Area Command, Strikeforce Gundibri, ... quickly turned their attention to school cleaner Stanford
after he allegedly misled them about where he was on Sunday while Ms Scott worked on her lesson plans".

Firstly, allegedly VS misled the police regarding his whereabouts on Easter Sunday. He attempted to 'conceal'. This shows a consciousness of right/wrong and an awareness of consequences on his part.
Secondly, the police knew that he 'misled' them, so they had evidence to the contrary i.e. eyewitnesses? computer evidence? family statements?

We are thankful that the police investigation quickly focused on VS as a POI, as this expedited access to further evidence being found in his possession before he was aware that he was a POI. SS's family reported her missing Monday, police spoke to him (and others) Tuesday, after which he emerged as a POI, then re-visited him on Wednesday which resulted in his arrest for the murder of SS Wednesday evening.

We then learned that allegedly VS had successfully burned the body of his victim which 'concealed' the state of her body and possible cause of death.
The police investigation is ongoing and so far, they have stated that they do not suspect the involvement of others.

VS allegedly refused to 'co-operate' with the police investigation. This further 'conceals' vital information from the police. Question: Is he protecting himself and/or someone else a well?

Just a few thoughts IMO.

The media are important, but look at the way the ABC conduct themselves - that's journalism [they're guilty of getting a little cheap in their breakfast show sometimes, but by and large].
But News Corp? Trashy, with little ethics. That "Bride and Seek" headline was disgusting.

Perhaps its a case of when journalism is good, it's very very good, but when it's bad, it's bloody awful.

I just wish they'd leave his family alone.

Question: Is he protecting himself and/or someone else a well?

I've always thought he might be protecting someone else. He might have done it all single-handed with zero involvement from anyone else at any point; but maybe not... I'm just keeping an open mind on that point.
Earlier in the thread, maybe the first thread, someone said they thought it all lined up too neatly ... it made me think ... and there are definitely alternative scenarios I can think of, and have thought of, since I read that post.

Ausgirl, yeah I agree. I think the quality of the journalism can be judged by how much the article focuses on the person charged rather than their family. Especially when a lot of it is anecdotal not even factual... certain main stream media outlets will publish anything to get clicks. I agree we need media but it needs to all be more like ABC, less like Daily Telegraph.

The Daily Telegraph

"A vehicle matching the description of the missing teacher’s car was discovered at a rural property in nearby Wamoon, 8km out of Leeton, which is now a crime scene."

I just spotted another school "Wamoon Public School" in this area. Maybe, VS knew this one because he also worked on there? Maybe, there is a hidden parking, where SC's car was parked for some time, possibly under a roof? On Wednesday VS then drove the car to the rural field nearby. - Only my considerations ...

The Daily Telegraph

"A vehicle matching the description of the missing teacher’s car was discovered at a rural property in nearby Wamoon, 8km out of Leeton, which is now a crime scene."

I just spotted another school "Wamoon Public School" in this area. Maybe, VS knew this one because he also worked on there? Maybe, there is a hidden parking, where SC's car was parked for some time, possibly under a roof? On Wednesday VS then drove the car to the rural field nearby. - Only my considerations ...

This is an interesting idea. I wonder if he forced her to drive him there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wamoon

https://www.facebook.com/wamoonpublicschool

Like your thinking FG - it does seems a bit risky to park in a public place. But maybe he had experience of how many people were around the school and knew where he could stow it.

Like your thinking FG - it does seems a bit risky to park in a public place. But maybe he had experience of how many people were around the school and knew where he could stow it.

36 students and approx 4 staff (2 teaching/2 non-teaching). Suggests a high likelihood of no one being around. The flip side would be that if someone was around, they'd be far more likely to notice and investigate something out of the ordinary.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/stephanie...anford-offer-condolences-20150421-1mpvbc.html
Stephanie Scott's sees family of accused killer Vincent Stanford offer condolences
April 22, 2015 - 8:10AM

Anika Stanford had a coffee with Leeton mayor Paul Maytom on Thursday and said she was suffering grief and shock since her son, Vincent, was arrested and charged with killing Ms Scott. She asked Cr Maytom to pass on her condolences to the families of Ms Scott and her fiance...
"Obviously, she herself is traumatised by this whole incident too," Cr Maytom said... The family have spent hours helping detectives..."She was locked away to a degree and didn't know how to manage the situation," he said. She took up an offer from Cr Maytom and the Salvation Army to sit down for a coffee and a chat.
Mrs Stanford was wracked with grief, traumatised and feeling isolated, Cr Maytom said..." we are extremely traumatised by the events in our town but we also understand that she, being the mother of the accused, is not guilty."

Sounds like the mayor and Salvation Army acknowledge the secondary trauma the Stanford family would be subjected to. They are victims of the murderer's actions too. Well done mayor and Salvation Army IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx