Australia Australia - Suzanne Armstrong, 28, Susan Bartlett, 27, Collingwood, Vic, 10 Jan 1977

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It will be interesting to find out who he is-was he known to the victims?-and what he has been up to for 47 years
Probably leading a life of very low profile ordinariness in Piraeus, or Athens, or Mykonos, being a very very careful fellow.... no traffic tickets, no arguments with the neighbors, no shoplifting or brawling, no riding the bus without a ticket.......

I was wondering if the arrested man could also have been the killer of Maria James in Thornbury, which is not so far from Collingwood--a few train stations north--in 1980.
And Julie Ann Garciacelay?

on the same tram line, actually. The West Preston, up Smith st?? I think.... At that age he would not have had a driving licence, so either he walked, or he took the tram..... Easy St is off Smith St tramline......
The train line runs between two tramlines, the one to West Preston and the other to Bundoora, although I don't think it went as far as Bundoora in the 1970s. The two tramlines cross in the Fitzroy/Collingwood area. I lived in Thornbury in the early 1990s.

The train line runs between two tramlines, the one to West Preston and the other to Bundoora, although I don't think it went as far as Bundoora in the 1970s. The two tramlines cross in the Fitzroy/Collingwood area. I lived in Thornbury in the early 1990s.
That's right, the Bundoora extension was this century, I think.... This requires some input from Helen Garner who was a teacher at Fitzroy High in those years, of the same vintage as these young ladies were, who wrote so eloquently about Joe Cinque's murder at the hands of Anu Singh....

Does Easy St run thru to the trainline?? I have it in my mind that it only comes off Smith St, ...

And Julie Ann Garciacelay?

Julie was on the 57 tram route, that goes up Elizabeth St, round Errol St, and down Abbotsford st. in those days it went past Canning St, and across Flemington up to the Zoo ( nowadays the Toorak tram does that ) different starting point and different line, but certainly doable.... the trams ran right up until about 2am in those days, I think they still do...

Still,. ..he has to get home, after killing Julie, .. same as getting home after the Easy St horror....

Like that young bloke who killed that lovely Palestinian student, on the Bundoora tram line, last stop, I think, and the last tram so police figured out, correctly, that he lived at that last tram stop, or close to it...

That's right, the Bundoora extension was this century, I think.... This requires some input from Helen Garner who was a teacher at Fitzroy High in those years, of the same vintage as these young ladies were, who wrote so eloquently about Joe Cinque's murder at the hands of Anu Singh....

Does Easy St run thru to the trainline?? I have it in my mind that it only comes off Smith St, ...
BBM, yes. A couple of short blocks north of Johnston St.*

Not BBM. I remember taking the tram to Bundoora when the extension was new, and I left Melbourne in the mid 1990s. But it was extended again after that, at least as far as La Trobe (University).

Helen! wouldn't be caught dead on a tram, judging by her aspersions in The First Stone.

*Edit, sorry, not through. But it comes out nearly opposite to Kerr St. I knew someone who lived there too. It's a lane that runs all the way up to Nicholson.

Julie was on the 57 tram route, that goes up Elizabeth St, round Errol St, and down Abbotsford st. in those days it went past Canning St, and across Flemington up to the Zoo ( nowadays the Toorak tram does that ) different starting point and different line, but certainly doable.... the trams ran right up until about 2am in those days, I think they still do...

Still,. ..he has to get home, after killing Julie, .. same as getting home after the Easy St horror....

Like that young bloke who killed that lovely Palestinian student, on the Bundoora tram line, last stop, I think, and the last tram so police figured out, correctly, that he lived at that last tram stop, or close to it...
In any case Julie was never found, so that one used a car.

He was seen on the night of the murders carrying a knife.

But the bodies weren't found til days later
Yep & when they did a wide perp canvas he agreed to give DNA than skipped the country & DNA was taken from a close relative

2017: One of the suspects, an Australian-Greek national, 57, agrees to undertake a DNA test, but never provides a sample. He leaves the country for Athens, where he would be protected against extradition. A sample taken from his close relative matches DNA found at the scene.

This won't be a quick process to get him back here

Direct quotes from Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Shane Patton

“We need to go through the federal Attorney-General’s department, we need to provide materials so we can then present that to an Italian court, it needs to be translated into Italian, we’ll need to provide some evidence and there will be detectives from Victoria go over and give that evidence to justify the extradition,” he said.

“The timelines for the extradition will be set by the Italian authorities, I wouldn’t expect we would be going over (to Italy) anywhere before ... it would be at least a month before detectives would be going over but I can’t be certain of those timelines.

“That will be determined by the authorities over there.”

He said the suspect had been a person of interest for a “number of years”.

When the murders happened he was a teenager carrying a knife. He was not considered a suspect.

Behind a paywall, I think. Posting it here for those who subscribe.

He was seen on the night of the murders carrying a knife.

But the bodies weren't found til days later
BBM1: I read this in the article quoted. BBM2: But I haven't read this. If he was known to generally carry a knife, but not observed on the night in question, that would help explain why he wasn't a suspect.

All the articles I've read so far say that he was observed on the night carrying a knife.
I'll try to find one.

Found one.
Google Search Result. The actual article is behind a paywall, I think.

He was seen around the time of the murders.

"The suspect, then a teenager, was checked by police near Easey Street around that time, and it was recorded he was carrying a knife. In a relaunched investigation in 2017, he agreed to provide DNA, but instead fled Australia. It is understood a DNA sample from a relative established a match.

Last edited:
Here you go

The suspect, then a teenager, was checked by police near Easey Street around that time, and it was recorded he was carrying a knife.
"Around that time." It might have been the previous month.

Edit: And that's the John Silvester article that I'm chafing that I can't read. Would anyone care to paraphrase, please?

Both of them, aged 27 and 28, had been stabbed several times.
Around the same time, police found and checked a then-teenager near Easey Street, and recorded that he was carrying a knife.

The original file showed that on the night of the murders – January 10, 1977 – a teenage boy was stopped and searched by a local police patrol and found to be carrying a large knife. But as the crime was not discovered for three days, it appears he was not listed as a suspect at the time.

These were such brutal attacks, hard to imagine he stopped after this
the Hellenic Police would surely be backtracking unsolved stuff going back 45 years... !!!!

Difficult to believe he just stopped , for sure, Dr S... why he started and how he managed to stay under the radar is a mystery in itself.. at 17, he kept his game face on . ,. .rather like our boy from Ballarat. Go on to work, have dins with the girlfriend, chat with mum and dad....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bill1620
Back