Australia Australia - Sydney, Royal Nat Park, poss AsianMale 25-40, bones in checkered shopping bag, Sep'18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Completely anecdotal but one set of my grandparents used these bags a lot, and they even remind me of them.

Nan and Pop lived in a western Sydney suburb with a big Asian community too.

Come to think of it, I got the ones I’m currently using for storing clothes from my favourite variety store, run by a lovely Chinese couple.

If I want to restock those bags (moving!), that’s the sort of place I’d check out regardless of where I’m living.

Does anyone know any other shop types (apart from bargain stores) that sell these Hong Kong shoppers? (I can finally call them something other than “big plastic tartan bags” thank you Jennifer17!)
Cheap as Chips & Reject Shop

I've also wanted to comment on the fact that this victim's remains have been reported as being "walking distance" from where Matthew Leveson's body was buried - when I would consider 2 km... not really walking distance. "A short distance" "relatively close to" yes but from my experience in Royal National Park, you are driving around.

I also wonder why ML's case seems to accompany, or conclude, most articles as if it has some kind of significance. It gets me thinking if there's something more to this, as it's been so consistent since Monday's first reports (full disclosure, I work in the media.)

I guess it is quite a chilling coincidence that the Leveson's were at the Park on Saturday.

Back to Simon Knight, and his friend actually produced a play based off the disappearance:

"I know that what Simon's family encountered, and what a lot of people encountered at the time I wrote the play, was that with the police there seemed to be a real disparity between how someone who was gay was treated and how others were. There were so many assumptions about their lifestyle. You'd hope an investigation would treat people on their individual circumstances, and not say 'oh, here's a gay man so he's probably taken drugs or he's off somewhere having sex for three days'."

With you working in the media I guess you hear so much more than us. I was watching a documentary about Alison Baden Clay last night, and a journalist said all the horrible things she had heard, but wasn't able to print. Is this common stuff for you guys? Do police routinely tell you what "not" to mention, or what to pull, if once already mentioned? No need for details related to any case... just curious about the relationship you guys have with detectives. It must be challenging work

"It is believed that the bones had been buried in the park for quite some time before the discovery was made."

Buried? I hadn't seen that. Sorry if a rehash & obvious. I sometimes skim too much, which is a bad habit.

Human bones found in Sydney national park

Apparently there were more remains than those contained in the bag.
Possibly the bag had deteriorated over time, or been torn by animals. As they found more remains later, the remains were likely somewhat scattered or separated.
So, possibly, some could have been found "buried" under fallen foliage, or worked their way into loose dirt as time passed.

A motorist, who wanted to go to the toilet, found some of the bones on Saturday afternoon and a further search over the next two days uncovered more remains.
We’re for Sydney | Daily Telegraph
September 26, 2018

Last edited:
With you working in the media I guess you hear so much more than us... No need for details related to any case... just curious about the relationship you guys have with detectives. It must be challenging work

Thank you for your questions, and to avoid derailing this thread, I'll attempt to frame my response in a general way that's hopefully enlightening for WS users broadly in an Australian setting. And one aside before I answer, I'm not currently working in a broadcasting role, instead a more 'behind the scenes' media job after several years as a radio journalist, so this is based on my personal experience.

Q. I was watching a documentary about Alison Baden Clay last night, and a journalist said all the horrible things she had heard, but wasn't able to print. Is this common stuff for you guys?"

I think it's not too bold of me to suggest that when reading/watching/listening to crime reports, you should always assume a journalist knows more than they are allowed to publish/broadcast.

I'm going to be extra specific and qualify that this may not be the case if the journalist has only sourced their information from other media reports; or if they've not directly engaged authorities for specific information.

If the reporter has been on the scene, has acquired information from authorities (esp. outside the police media unit) and spoken to family/witnesses, my assumption is that there's information withheld.
I'd ask people not to be upset about this too, because the motivation could be anything from sensitivity for the victim's family, defamation potential if the info was included, a condition of someone giving a statement to the journo, it can't be verified, or to your next point, the authorities are asking for suppression of the facts.

I'll also say, sometimes the media is kept completely in the dark by authorities and firsthand sources.

Q. Do police routinely tell you what "not" to mention, or what to pull, if once already mentioned?

The only people allowed to give statements about investigations to the media are generally quite high ranking in the force and therefore very used to dealing with us. There is an inherent reciprocal nature to them speaking with us; I get a story, they get public exposure which hopefully lead to tips from the community.

If the police don't see a purpose giving certain details, or if it could compromise their investigation when published, we have to respect that.

Something I recommend looking into is the frequent use of suppression orders in this country (relates more to court proceedings but can apply to people already charged by police and giving information awaiting sentencing as part of a plea arrangement.)

If something's published and it's a misinterpretation of the facts by the journalist, police may reach out to correct the record.

Instead of them telling everything to a journalist and saying "off the record" about certain details, it's more that they say protect info by not disclosing in the first place.

However, as there's always exceptions, you may strike up a good relationship with a member of the force and be privy to a lot of information based on trusting that you won't quote them directly (and thus circumventing the media unit's policies) or won't publish certain things they want suppressed.

I hope this was helpful, and I'll share a quick story to round out my verbose and potentially self invested response haha!

I worked in a regional news market and was informed two police were downstairs for me, which actually made me panic that I'd screwed up badly on something. Turns out they'd heard me run a story while on patrol about a series of petrol thefts, burgs, police evasions and dangerous driving over a seven day period, conducted by a couple.

The two officers were working the case by driving immediately to where the public had made a sighting of the vehicle. They'd been frustrated by the couple's willingness to conduct highly dangerous driving to evade capture, including driving head on at a semi trailer while overtaking on a two way leg of the highway.

We arranged that the patrol would call me with their location tip offs throughout the morning, and I'd update my next bulletin (every half hour) to keep drivers informed that there's a dangerous vehicle in a specific area that they should be avoiding, while the patrol could also start getting more time-sensitive tip offs to strategically catch the offenders.

I also asked if they wanted to give me an audio grab, but the sentiment of the response was basically "Haha nah, we are here under unusual circumstances and don't want to get in trouble from the boss if they knew we were here giving these details out"

Their media strategy worked. The vehicle was tipped off to be in a very busy supermarket parking garage and the pair were apprehended following a dangerous get away attempt. It was one of the best days on the job, proving to me that the community, media and authorities can actually pull it together to stop crime, as it happens.

Last edited:
Thank you for your questions, and to avoid derailing this thread, I'll attempt to frame my response in a general way that's hopefully enlightening for WS users broadly in an Australian setting. And one aside before I answer, I'm not currently working in a broadcasting role, instead a more 'behind the scenes' media job after several years as a radio journalist, so this is based on my personal experience.

Q. I was watching a documentary about Alison Baden Clay last night, and a journalist said all the horrible things she had heard, but wasn't able to print. Is this common stuff for you guys?"

I think it's not too bold of me to suggest that when reading/watching/listening to crime reports, you should always assume a journalist knows more than they are allowed to publish/broadcast.

I'm going to be extra specific and qualify that this may not be the case if the journalist has only sourced their information from other media reports; or if they've not directly engaged authorities for specific information.

If the reporter has been on the scene, has acquired information from authorities (esp. outside the police media unit) and spoken to family/witnesses, my assumption is that there's information withheld.
I'd ask people not to be upset about this too, because the motivation could be anything from sensitivity for the victim's family, defamation potential if the info was included, a condition of someone giving a statement to the journo, it can't be verified, or to your next point, the authorities are asking for suppression of the facts.

I'll also say, sometimes the media is kept completely in the dark by authorities and firsthand sources.

Q. Do police routinely tell you what "not" to mention, or what to pull, if once already mentioned?

The only people allowed to give statements about investigations to the media are generally quite high ranking in the force and therefore very used to dealing with us. There is an inherent reciprocal nature to them speaking with us; I get a story, they get public exposure which hopefully lead to tips from the community.

If the police don't see a purpose giving certain details, or if it could compromise their investigation when published, we have to respect that.

Something I recommend looking into is the frequent use of suppression orders in this country (relates more to court proceedings but can apply to people already charged by police and giving information awaiting sentencing as part of a plea arrangement.)

If something's published and it's a misinterpretation of the facts by the journalist, police may reach out to correct the record.

Instead of them telling everything to a journalist and saying "off the record" about certain details, it's more that they say protect info by not disclosing in the first place.

However, as there's always exceptions, you may strike up a good relationship with a member of the force and be privy to a lot of information based on trusting that you won't quote them directly (and thus circumventing the media unit's policies) or won't publish certain things they want suppressed.

I hope this was helpful, and I'll share a quick story to round out my verbose and potentially self invested response haha!

I worked in a regional news market and was informed two police were downstairs for me, which actually made me panic that I'd screwed up badly on something. Turns out they'd heard me run a story while on patrol about a series of petrol thefts, burgs, police evasions and dangerous driving over a seven day period, conducted by a couple.

The two officers were working the case by driving immediately to where the public had made a sighting of the vehicle. They'd been frustrated by the couple's willingness to conduct highly dangerous driving to evade capture, including driving head on at a semi trailer while overtaking on a two way leg of the highway.

We arranged that the patrol would call me with their location tip offs throughout the morning, and I'd update my next bulletin (every half hour) to keep drivers informed that there's a dangerous vehicle in a specific area that they should be avoiding, while the patrol could also start getting more time-sensitive tip offs to strategically catch the offenders.

I also asked if they wanted to give me an audio grab, but the sentiment of the response was basically "Haha nah, we are here under unusual circumstances and don't want to get in trouble from the boss if they knew we were here giving these details out"

Their media strategy worked. The vehicle was tipped off to be in a very busy supermarket parking garage and the pair were apprehended following a dangerous get away attempt. It was one of the best days on the job, proving to me that the community, media and authorities can actually pull it together to stop crime, as it happens.

Thanks for the reply - very informative! I have always wondered about the media's role - obviously... so thanks for that. A great story too - of everyone coming together to catch a crook :)

I think if I saw a large bag like that I would be curious to know what was inside, yeeks!

I wonder how many other people saw it and just thought it was some yucky rubbish, like old clothes.
I'd be to scared to look,but if I heard sounds or crying coming from that bag then I would force myself too look.

We live near this National Park, awhile back my hubby had a toilet stop and I got out to stretch my legs, while looking around a few metres off the road I saw a large mound covered by a blanket with rocks holding the blanket down all the way around. Well I did not want to look but being a websluether I made myself. Ends up someone left their dog there, so strange and not pleasant to find!

Just thinking of those families awaiting identification of this man in the park :( Must be like a double edged sword, great to have closure yet bittersweet. The waiting must be torturous. Can't begin to imagine what they are going through, and what this fellow went through back then... sad (sorry)

I wonder when the public will be informed about the identity of this person.

As it is now a homicide investigation, I guess it is possible that the identification may be kept quiet for a while. So as not to alert a potential murder suspect, or have the media all over the case.

We may hear about an arrest at the same time that we hear of an identification of the victim.

Homicide detectives will now launch an official investigation.
Human bones found in Sydney park

WTH!
This poor woman was found with a dog collar on and bound. A TV report said police believe it could be domestic related.

Woman’s body found bound and restrained in Sydney park

New South Wales Police is treating the death of a woman as suspicious after she was found in a popular Sydney park with her hands tied and a restraint around her neck. A council worker made the grim discovery as he was mowing the grass at Buffalo Creek Reserve in Hunters Hill early Wednesday morning. Police are calling for motorists to come forward if they have any dash cam footage from the area between late Tuesday and early Wednesday morning. Image: Jonathan Ng / News Corp Australia

No Cookies | The Advertiser

WTH!
This poor woman was found with a dog collar on and bound. A TV report said police believe it could be domestic related.

Woman’s body found bound and restrained in Sydney park

New South Wales Police is treating the death of a woman as suspicious after she was found in a popular Sydney park with her hands tied and a restraint around her neck. A council worker made the grim discovery as he was mowing the grass at Buffalo Creek Reserve in Hunters Hill early Wednesday morning. Police are calling for motorists to come forward if they have any dash cam footage from the area between late Tuesday and early Wednesday morning. Image: Jonathan Ng / News Corp Australia

No Cookies | The Advertiser
It never ends does it TGY? Here is the thread
Australia - 'Definitely suspicious': Body found in park in Hunters Hill

Woman whose body dumped at Sydney park identified as Nicole Cartwright

CommaderDet Supt Scott Cook told the media when Nicole was located she was wearing long black pants under a black and white dress. A dark hooded jacket. A pairof black boots and a purple collar. The clothing is consistent with the clothing she had a Museum Station and what was in her possession.
She was last seen alive 30 September.

CommaderDet Supt Scott Cook told the media when Nicole was located she was wearing long black pants under a black and white dress. A dark hooded jacket. A pairof black boots and a purple collar. The clothing is consistent with the clothing she had a Museum Station and what was in her possession.
She was last seen alive 30 September.

This guy in the National Park - has not yet been identified... yet Nicole Cartwright was murdered at least 2 weeks later. There must be something the police want to keep quiet about the male in The National Park? I imagine they have his DNA??

This guy in the National Park - has not yet been identified... yet Nicole Cartwright was murdered at least 2 weeks later. There must be something the police want to keep quiet about the male in The National Park? I imagine they have his DNA??
I think the main difference here is that Nicole Cartwright was discovered very quickly after death and in possession of her opal card- meaning that cctv footage of her from railway stations/bus stops was still easily available, as her opal card had tracked her movements. The remains in the Royal National Park were old, skeletal remains, with no id, and definitely no cctv. The identification of his body will hopefully be done via dna, but that can take a while. Fingers crossed he gets his name back very soon.

There is an article in The Daily Telegraph today which I can't link as it is paywalled about missing man Nick Veljanovski, whose car was found at the Royal National Park a few years back. His mum is now battling cancer and is desperate for answers. I wonder if it is Nick?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back