Australia Australia - Tamam Shud Case - Male, Dec 1948

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is an interesting mystery but I don't believe The Somerton Man or Jessica Thomson were spies and I don't believe the letters in the back of the book was a secret code. I believe it was just a quirky way SM had of keeping notes.

According to the autopsy SM's insides were messed up in fact his spleen was enlarged to three times it's normal size. My belief is that one of two things happened:
  1. SM had fallen in love with Jessica and he did have a child with her but then she didn't want anything to do with him. SM was so depressed over this that he took his life by overdosing on drugs. I am no expert but I believe a large dose of sleeping pills will do that to you.
  2. Jessica had told SM she wanted nothing to do with him but he couldn't take no for an answer and kept on harassing her. Jessica asks some friends of hers to scare him away only for them to go to far and beat him badly enough to cause serious internal bleeding which caused his death.

My opinion is that he had recently left the hospital ill knew he was dying and wanted to die at the beach he bought the unused ticket to henley beach before realizing that somerton beach was closer. I honestly don't think he even knew Jestyn maybe a fluke that the number was on the book. I think that this man was just a ordinary person and didn't want to be identified. Why? Know one will probably never no.

His internal organ damage is always disturbing to read. What causes such a severe splenomegaly?

(I still think he's Carl Thomson!)

I honestly don't think he even knew Jestyn maybe a fluke that the number was on the book. I think that this man was just a ordinary person and didn't want to be identified. Why? Know one will probably never no.

I find that very difficult to believe.

He just so happened to have a piece of paper ripped out from the book in his possession + the book had Jetyn's phone number in it + the book was found tossed in a random car + she coincidentally gave a different copy of the book to a different man + the SM died near Jestyn's house + Jestyn's child had the same rare genetic defects with his teeth and ears as the SM.

Come on. You have to intentionally not want to believe they knew each other.

I find that very difficult to believe.

He just so happened to have a piece of paper ripped out from the book in his possession + the book had Jetyn's phone number in it + the book was found tossed in a random car + she coincidentally gave a different copy of the book to a different man + the SM died near Jestyn's house + Jestyn's child had the same rare genetic defects with his teeth and ears as the SM.

Come on. You have to intentionally not want to believe they knew each other.
My opinion no he didn't know her. I think it could be solved if they excluded her. It didn't have her name on that book just her number and a banks number. She was a sister(nurse) back then her number was listed as that. Maybe he was sick.

My opinion no he didn't know her. I think it could be solved if they excluded her. It didn't have her name on that book just her number and a banks number. She was a sister(nurse) back then her number was listed as that. Maybe he was sick.
AFAIK she lied about being a nurse. She hadn't actually completed her training due to falling pregnant.

AFAIK she lied about being a nurse. She hadn't actually completed her training due to falling pregnant.
Her phone number was listed as sister in the phone directory back the. So he may have thought she was a nurse

What Happened

On December 1st 1948, a man was found on Somerton Beach just south of Adelaide, Australia. He was found in a suit and polished shoes with his head leaning against the wall. The police suspected that he was poisoned, but when they did the autopsy, there was no trace of poison in his system. The man had no ID, no wallet and had all the tags cut off his clothing. When they tried to fingerprint him to identify the man, his fingerprints came back as unidentifiable. The police then put his picture out for everyone to see, hoping that someone would be able to identify him but no one could.

4 Months Later

The police found a sewn in pocket in the waistband of the Somerton man's trousers. Inside the pocket, they found a rolled up piece of paper from a book called the “Rubaiyat”. On the paper were the printed words “Taman Shud” which in english translates to “it is ended”.

8 Months Later

A man walked into the police station with his copy of the “Rubaiyat” and had a bizarre story. Just after the Somerton man was found, a man found a copy of the “Rubaiyat” in the back of his car. He simply moved on with the day and thought nothing about the book until he saw an article in the newspaper about the police looking for the book. The book has part of the back page torn out and when the police held the rolled up piece of paper from the somerton man's pocket to it, it matched perfectly. In the back of the book, there was a phone number and a code. When the police called the phone number, a woman named Jessica Thompson picked up the phone. She lived nearby and knew the area, but she denied knowing the Somerton man. This was odd considering when the police interviewed her she couldn’t stop crying. She also almost fainted when she was shown a plaster cast of the somerton man's body. During the interview, Jessica did tell the police that she gave her copy of the “Rubaiyat'' to a man named Alf Boxall, but when the police had asked him about it, he still had the book.

It was later discovered that Jessica had a son. Even though she denied knowing the Somerton man, her son looked exactly like him. This made police think that she was lying and did know the Somerton man and that they were possibly married. They also believed the Somerton man was the father to her son.

My Theory

I believe that the Somerton man was a government agent of some sort. I think that Jessica was his wife and I think that she was informed to act like she didn’t know him in case something ever happened to him. I think she was told to do that because it was the Somerton man’s way of protecting his wife and his son. I believe the Somerton man was killed by a rival of some sort.

Is this the face of Australia's most mysterious unknown person?

The mysterious Somerton Man has been given a Hollywood makeover in the hope forensic facial reconstruction will help solve the perplexing 72-year-old cold case.

A cross-continental collaboration involving a virtual reality artist and two researchers has resulted in new images of the man whose body was found on Adelaide's Somerton beach.

If you study the DNA results, especially the Psy.org image of the family tree all the way up to Thomas Jefferson, and follow the branch with the most Virginians, you’re looking, at best, at the Somerton Man being a close cousin match (first cousin or uncle) of late Notre Dame professor Julian Randolph Pleasants. Nothing looked good in the first cousin range at first until you change the age parameters + or - 15 years, if that’s allowed.

And if you dig further, there are plenty of people with the last name "Keene" or "Kean", who married with them. Somerton Mans belongings had the name "Keane" in three places written. It was ignored in 1948 because they were so dead set on the spy theory that nobody seemed to dig further into that.

You have to scroll down quite a bit here Randolph family of Virginia - Wikipedia

Sorry for bringing that post up after such a long time.
I was puzzled by that initially as well but I believe she converted to Judaism at a mature age. Because everybody thinks about Somerton Man when they talk about her, it is easily forgotten that the Somerton Man episode happened, when she was in her 20s. She had a long life aftee all that and she led it relatively quietly. I believe she converted after she was widowed. Either of her own spiritual motivation (I know plenty of older converts) or because of a Jewish partner she may have had later in life.

The Jewish name on her stone is odd, but hints towards conversion. She is written as "Jessica Orah". Jessica obviously is not a Jewish name but she may have kept it. Orah (= "light") is a fairly modern Jewish name and I know plenty of converts and returnees to judaism who chose it. While normally someone who got a Jewish name at birth is assigned a name of a deceased relative and Orah is not one of those traditional names. Of course there are exceptions to the rule.
And you normally find the Hebrew name of the father on the stone as well. Hers is missing. A convert gets "Avraham Avinu", as converts are considered spiritual descendants of the forefather Abraham. To avoid being embarrassed and exposed, many converts decide to leave it out.

Lastly, there is no way to be buried in the middle of a Jewish cemetery if you were not born Jewish or formally converted. She must have converted. Looks like her nonjewish family paid for the stone as they are mentioned on it, no mention of any Jewish partner she may have had.

For me its an interesting facet of her life. I have jewish roots but had to formally undergo orthodox jewish conversion as well (i was barely 20, though and single) so I have a lot of insight into it all.

I simply cannot find a link as to why Jessie Ellen Harkness is buried in a jewish part of the cemetery. Everything else about her leads to Anglican or Presybtarian roots. The only possible connection I've heard is that she was the lover of a jewish doctor for many years…

Does anyone have any information that could be helpful on this?

ETA - Google the subject and most certainly, you will find that JEstyn is Jessie (Jo, Jessica) Ellen Harkness Thomson.

Personally I also believe in a highly personal reason for that. Both, SM and Jestyn may have met either during the war (he may have been in the US army or Australian army and she may have done some volunteer, auxiliary or nursing service, even if she was not formally trained) or shortly after and had a relationship. She may have had another one with Boxall around the same timeline.
She fell pregnant by Somerton Man but for some reason it was impossible or very difficult for them to get married, either because he was back in the USA (if we assume he was American) or because he at the time was married. She decided to look for some stability and get married to this Prosper Thomson, also to give her child a legitimate name (we are in 1947, even then a single mom had a stigma and difficult life).
Fast forward to 1948. Somerton Man somehow must have come back to Australia and contacted her. Whether he knew the boy Robin was his son or not is unclear (id guess he knew). She was already engaged or even married to Thomson at that point. Somerton Man tried to see her a few times and maybe call, but she made it clear she is not interested in rekindling their relationship. Last time he went to see her and she declined him, he either killed himself or died from a stroke (i believe autopsies back then were not always thorough or the records we have today are not complete) or medicine overdose (maybe accidentally, upon the emotional stress of having been turned down again and not being allowed to see his child he may have gotten heart palpitations and taken an overdose digitalis).
When questioned, of course, Jestyn was in shock. But kept quiet as not to ruin her new family and life. Remember, its 1948 and not 2020 (but even today a relationship would be in danger if one partner revealed some sordid story that was brought up by the police. And there is a dead body.).
I dont believe they were spies or there was any political motivation behind it.

Just hypothesis, we will probably never find out the truth. I hope he can be identified.

There are Kean surnames in a couple of the Pleasants trees but only the ones with 60000 names. They must certainly be in the distant cousin range. I definitely didn't find any in the 2nd-3rd cousin range.

https://scx2.b-cdn.net/gfx/news/hires/2015/somertonmand.jpg

The above linked results say Somerton Man's son is in the 2nd-3rd cousin range of the living child of Julian Randolph Pleasants, who was the only surviving child of Alban Pleasants (Julian died in 2010 although the tree says "living child" in 2015).

Thus SM would have to be in the 1st-2nd cousin range (more likely or specifically in the 1st cousin twice removed-2nd cousin twice removed range as they're probably not at the same level). The DNA would have to be way off to include any Kean relations as possibles.

This article linked below shows Alban Pleasants' mother, Mary Josephine Mathias, listed as a ballet dancer at a celebration. If her brother can be eliminated as being SM (I know there's a headstone in his name in Arizona but I don't buy that yet), then I'll say there`s a mistake in the DNA results or the interpretation, and/or he's illegitimate.

The Democratic advocate. [volume] (Westminster, Md.) 1865-1972, January 27, 1900, Image 3

Or Kean is a red herring altogether and the belongings in the locker were not his. The identification of the stuff as his is also a bit fishy (left the day before SM was found dead, unclaimed since then... not enough to link both, imho).

The scissors in a sheath means alot those items usually are not sold together... even if they were I only wear my scissors on my waist when working.. the custom made knife.. also had to have a custom sheath .. I only make knives when I need them for a specific purpose.. always related to work. The knife and scissors in sheaths are both meant for a very specific task. He was a working class person, with some pride in his occupation to build tools and have a way to attach them to ones waist.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SPACECAT89
Back