Australia Australia - Tamam Shud Case - Male, Dec 1948

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hi Makara,
Charles Mikkelsen, passenger, is reported killed in the following;
See: http://www.warsailors.com/raidervictims/atlantis.html

I have also confirmed the details with one of Charles' relatives in Norway. All of the details match with the Charles Mikkelsen who disembarked from Tancred at Port Adelaide 9th January 1932. His mother was given a small sum to compensate her for Charles' death.

Hi Makara,
Charles Mikkelsen, passenger, is reported killed in the following;
See: http://www.warsailors.com/raidervictims/atlantis.html

I have also confirmed the details with one of Charles' relatives in Norway. All of the details match with the Charles Mikkelsen who disembarked from Tancred at Port Adelaide 9th January 1932. His mother was given a small sum to compensate her for Charles' death.

Thanks Mr. D. I applaud you for confirming Charles' death with his relative. I know the names of his parents but would not have taken it that step further. You're dedication to this case is admirable and I mean that in all sincerity. I think we can safely remove Charles Mikkelsen from the equation. RIP Charles.

Perhaps the Occam's razor principle should be applied to this case. There is a common denominator here - the nurse, aka Jestyn. No, I don't think Jessie murdered SM. In fact I don't think he was murdered at all. Similarly, I don't believe that he was poisoned or committed suicide. I believe that his death was either accidental via medication, either prescribed or self administered, or that his death was the result of a virus. In all probability he was T. or J. Kean(e).

Getting back to Jestyn. As you already know, she was an enrolled nurse at the Royal North Shore Hospital in Sydney. She appears on the NSW Electoral Roll in 1943 under her maiden name. We know the story of how she moved to Victoria and gave birth to her son in there 1947. Soon after she moved to Adelaide with Prosper Thomson, the man she eventually married in 1950. She took up nursing again, apparently working in a mental hospital. Nothing sinister here. And I do believe that Prosper, not SM, is the boy's father.

George Marshall was found dead in a Sydney park in 1945. There was a copy of the Rubaiyat close to where he was found. He was of the Jewish faith, as was Jestyn. The coroner's findings were that George had committed suicide. Was he at some stage a patient at Royal North Shore Hospital where Jestyn met him and kindly gave him a copy of the Rubaiyat?

Click image to enlarge.
George-Marshall-Poet-suicide.jpg

Then there is Alf Boxall who was introduced to Jestyn at the Clifton Garden's Hotel in 1945. She gave Alf a copy of the Rubaiyat before he returned to war service.

I'm thinking that Somerton Man may also have been a hospital patient, attended to by Jestyn. Did she give him a copy of the Rubaiyat? The copy that was eventually found in the Chemist's car?

Feel free to poke holes in my latest theory. I have at least a dozen more that are vying for attention in my brain. :lookingitup:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/new-twist-in-somerton-man-mystery-as-fresh-claims-emerge/story-fnii5yv7-1226766905157

New twist in Somerton Man mystery as fresh claims emerge

RENATO CASTELLO
Sunday Mail (SA)
November 23, 2013 10:40PM

THE mysterious Somerton Man may have been killed by his nurse lover - an Adelaide woman and suspected Soviet spy with whom he fathered a child, it has been claimed.

And, in another startling revelation, two women who believe they are related to the Somerton Man's son want the unknown man's body exhumed in a bid to prove DNA links and in turn answer a 65-year-old que*stion as to his identity.

Tonight 60 Minutes reveals for the first time that the Somerton Man was romantically linked to Somerton Park nurse Jessica Thomson who lived in Moseley St, just metres from where the man's body was found slumped against a sea wall 65 years ago.

Her daughter, Kate Thomson, says she accepts her mother was a Soviet spy who may have had a hand in the murder of the Somerton Man, also a suspected Russian agent.

"She had a dark side, a very strong dark side," Kate tells 60 Minutes.

"She said to me she, she knew who he was but she wasn't going to let that out of the bag so to speak. There's always that fear that I've thought that maybe she was responsible for his death."

Just popping in to tell you that Channel 9's "60 Minutes" show is running a segment on the Somerton Man right now (oops ... reading back I see that you already know that!) I think it will probably be up on the internet tomorrow.

The nurse and single mother involved (Jessica) lived a stone's throw from the beach ... Kate believes her brother Robin Thomson (now deceased) was fathered by the Somerton Man .. they both had the same unusual ear formation. Jessica ended up marrying another man, and her daughter from that marriage (Kate) says if she was alive today she would never have given an interview. Kate says her mum was so secretive that she believes she was a Russian spy ... she made a comment to Kate that she was glad that she could still understand Russian (when she overheard people speaking Russian) which shocked Kate as she had no idea her mother spoke Russian.

Kate is almost certain her mum was having an affair with the Somerton Man, and that he was also a Russian spy.

Just popping in to tell you that Channel 9's "60 Minutes" show is running a segment on the Somerton Man right now (oops ... reading back I see that you already know that!) I think it will probably be up on the internet tomorrow.

The nurse and single mother involved (Jessica) lived a stone's throw from the beach ... Kate believes her brother Robin Thomson (now deceased) was fathered by the Somerton Man .. they both had the same unusual ear formation. Jessica ended up marrying another man, and her daughter from that marriage (Kate) says if she was alive today she would never have given an interview. Kate says her mum was so secretive that she believes she was a Russian spy ... she made a comment to Kate that she was glad that she could still understand Russian (when she overheard people speaking Russian) which shocked Kate as she had no idea her mother spoke Russian.

Kate is almost certain her mum was having an affair with the Somerton Man, and that he was also a Russian spy.

SA, I'm pleased you dropped in, although I'm guessing that you were too young to remember this case. Do you recall anyone talking about the Somerton Man when you were growing up?

I watched the 60 Minutes segment tonight and it was basically a shorthand version of the real story. I was surprised to hear that Jessica (aka Jestyn the nurse) was teaching immigrants, (including Russian's) English. Also the fact that she could speak Russian was even more surprising! She was never fully investigated by the police and I'm wondering if some of the 'higher-ups' may have known about her dark side.

Jessica Thomson's identity has probably been the worst kept secret for at least the last 10 years but I would say that 60 Minutes are feeling chuffed that they were the first to reveal it on TV. LOL. I am pleased that Kate, Roma and her daughter were willing to be interviewed and they all did it dignity.

There was one thing that did irk me about the 60 Minutes segment. The Somerton Man was portrayed wearing a hat. He was not wearing a hat, nor was there a hat found at or near his body. This fact was discussed quite a bit when he was found. It was a common dress code in the 1940's for men to wear a hat, yet the Somerton Man, very neatly dressed with collar and tie and shiny shoes, was not wearing a hat. This was something that did stand out to the investigators.

More tomorrow. Too tired to think now. :eek:fftobed:

So what's the guy's name - did I miss something?

SA, I'm pleased you dropped in, although I'm guessing that you were too young to remember this case. Do you recall anyone talking about the Somerton Man when you were growing up?

I watched the 60 Minutes segment tonight and it was basically a shorthand version of the real story. I was surprised to hear that Jessica (aka Jestyn the nurse) was teaching immigrants, (including Russian's) English. Also the fact that she could speak Russian was even more surprising! She was never fully investigated by the police and I'm wondering if some of the 'higher-ups' may have known about her dark side.

Jessica Thomson's identity has probably been the worst kept secret for at least the last 10 years but I would say that 60 Minutes are feeling chuffed that they were the first to reveal it on TV. LOL. I am pleased that Kate, Roma and her daughter were willing to be interviewed and they all did it dignity.

There was one thing that did irk me about the 60 Minutes segment. The Somerton Man was portrayed wearing a hat. He was not wearing a hat, nor was there a hat found at or near his body. This fact was discussed quite a bit when he was found. It was a common dress code in the 1940's for men to wear a hat, yet the Somerton Man, very neatly dressed with collar and tie and shiny shoes, was not wearing a hat. This was something that did stand out to the investigators.

More tomorrow. Too tired to think now. :eek:fftobed:

Thanks Makara. I didn't grow up in Adelaide .. I actually spent many/most of my formative years in Woomera - though coming to Adelaide was a frequent thing ... and Port Augusta for shopping.

I tend to agree with SS that if there was any spying going on, Woomera would have been the reason. The secret US facility there (called Narunga) didn't open till the 70's, and was dismantled years ago, but the English were developing and putting up rockets from 1946 (way before my time!), sometimes in conjunction with other countries (Europa was a big rocket project involving European countries, and all these projects took years to complete).

Very tightly secure place when I lived there, one public road in to town, show a Govt pass at the gate to get in, issued your own Govt pass at the age of 16. The rocket facility was about 20 miles/32 kilometres out of town, restricted area and different level of Govt pass to get in there. We used to watch the bigger rockets go up - all trooped out of class to watch. There was nuclear testing in the desert near there also, before my time. A good friend of mine's father was involved with that - no suited protection back then, picked up fallen nuclear metals with their bare hands!

However, I am in the Somerton Park area (not called Somerton any more) most days now due to work commitments. I work closely with someone who lives there, very close to the beach, and will ask them what they've heard (if anything). Though we're all a bit too young to have any personal knowledge.

So what's the guy's name - did I miss something?

Standreid, if we knew his name, none of us would be here. LOL. He has become known as the Unknown Man or the Somerton Man because he hasn't been positively identified to date. He didn't have any identification on him when he was found. The suitcase apparently belonging to him didn't hold any identification other than three items with the name T. or J. Kean(e) on them. Whether they in fact belonged to him is still under debate.

Thanks Makara. I didn't grow up in Adelaide .. I actually spent many/most of my formative years in Woomera - though coming to Adelaide was a frequent thing ... and Port Augusta for shopping.

I tend to agree with SS that if there was any spying going on, Woomera would have been the reason. The secret US facility there (called Narunga) didn't open till the 70's, and was dismantled years ago, but the English were developing and putting up rockets from 1946 (way before my time!), sometimes in conjunction with other countries (Europa was a big rocket project involving European countries, and all these projects took years to complete).

Very tightly secure place when I lived there, one public road in to town, show a Govt pass at the gate to get in, issued your own Govt pass at the age of 16. The rocket facility was about 20 miles/32 kilometres out of town, restricted area and different level of Govt pass to get in there. We used to watch the bigger rockets go up - all trooped out of class to watch. There was nuclear testing in the desert near there also, before my time. A good friend of mine's father was involved with that - no suited protection back then, picked up fallen nuclear metals with their bare hands!

However, I am in the Somerton Park area (not called Somerton any more) most days now due to work commitments. I work closely with someone who lives there, very close to the beach, and will ask them what they've heard (if anything). Though we're all a bit too young to have any personal knowledge.

Thanks SA. It all reads like something out of a movie. So it's feasible to believe that Somerton Man was a spy but I don't get why Jessica was involved in espionage of any sort. And the big question is, if Jessica did murder SM, how did she do it? If the man who visited her house on the morning before he died was SM (it has never been fully established that it was him. No description given by the witness.) and she wasn't home, where did he go and did he meet up with Jessica elsewhere? Perhaps she was at home when he called and chose not to answer the door. I can't yet put the pieces together for this part of the mystery.

Standreid, if we knew his name, none of us would be here. LOL. He has become known as the Unknown Man or the Somerton Man because he hasn't been positively identified to date. He didn't have any identification on him when he was found. The suitcase apparently belonging to him didn't hold any identification other than three items with the name T. or J. Kean(e) on them. Whether they in fact belonged to him is still under debate.

I think I would still want to know how he met his end.

This is Australia's big unknown/unsolved murder from what I know. In England, I suppose it would be the Brighton Trunk Mystery. And regarding America, even though most of the Cleveland Torso victims were unidentified, I guess it would either be the Sumter Mystery Couple or the Boy in the Box.

At any rate, 65 years ago this coming weekend. I was two when it happened and can remember back that far but I doubt if it made the news here in the States.

If the Somerton Man had a train ticket to Port Augusta, it is very possible he was heading up to Woomera. The train from Adelaide goes to Port Augusta, then you can hop on another train that takes you to Pimba, which is pretty much a petrol station/cafe, train stop, and a few houses, then on further north to the Northern Territory. Pimba is only 5 miles/8.5 kilometres from Woomera, and is the closest civilisation (if you can call it that) to Woomera. We would drive past it on our way to Port Augusta/Adelaide on the only public road out of town.

I talked to the person I know who lives in Somerton Park today. He is very well read and is right up on the Somerton Man. He is intrigued by the coded 'message' that no-one has been able to crack. His theory is that our Govt knows exactly who the Somerton Man is, and will never tell, or even act in any way as if they know. He, too, thinks he was a spy.

As far as Jessica goes ... I don't think the hospital was built till the 60's, so I guess it is possible that they had nurses visit Woomera on a regular basis? Or maybe she was some kind of other go-between. Mind you, Somerton Park is a fair hike to Port Adelaide if it was anything to do with shipping and smuggling secrets that way. Unless she would morse code messages to ships offshore? They have to pass Somerton Park (a fair way offshore) to leave Port Adelaide and get to the open ocean.

Oh, and Somerton Park doesn't have any large stormwater drainage via the beach, at least not now. And I don't think there were factories in that area (for poisons to run off). It is a very residential area, and the real estate is on the pricey side these days. There are some beautiful old homes there, as well as lots of knock-down-old-and-build-new homes.

I think I would still want to know how he met his end.

This is Australia's big unknown/unsolved murder from what I know. In England, I suppose it would be the Brighton Trunk Mystery. And regarding America, even though most of the Cleveland Torso victims were unidentified, I guess it would either be the Sumter Mystery Couple or the Boy in the Box.

At any rate, 65 years ago this coming weekend. I was two when it happened and can remember back that far but I doubt if it made the news here in the States.

Yes Standried, how SM met his end is something that we all want to know. Jessica may have had access to drugs that could have been administered to SM. It's also interesting to note that her uncle, (her father's older brother) was a chemist. He spent his early life in Queensland where he advertised himself as "PHARMACEUTICAL CHEMIST - English, Continental, and Colonial Experience". He later moved to NSW, still working as a chemist and died there in 1967. It's not known if he and Jessica were close but it is interesting that she was a nurse and he a chemist. The coroner believed that SM was poisoned. Could there be a link?

A very happy birthday for this coming weekend Standried. Have a great day. :Happybirthday:

If the Somerton Man had a train ticket to Port Augusta, it is very possible he was heading up to Woomera. The train from Adelaide goes to Port Augusta, then you can hop on another train that takes you to Pimba, which is pretty much a petrol station/cafe, train stop, and a few houses, then on further north to the Northern Territory. Pimba is only 5 miles/8.5 kilometres from Woomera, and is the closest civilisation (if you can call it that) to Woomera. We would drive past it on our way to Port Augusta/Adelaide on the only public road out of town.

I talked to the person I know who lives in Somerton Park today. He is very well read and is right up on the Somerton Man. He is intrigued by the coded 'message' that no-one has been able to crack. His theory is that our Govt knows exactly who the Somerton Man is, and will never tell, or even act in any way as if they know. He, too, thinks he was a spy.

As far as Jessica goes ... I don't think the hospital was built till the 60's, so I guess it is possible that they had nurses visit Woomera on a regular basis? Or maybe she was some kind of other go-between. Mind you, Somerton Park is a fair hike to Port Adelaide if it was anything to do with shipping and smuggling secrets that way. Unless she would morse code messages to ships offshore? They have to pass Somerton Park (a fair way offshore) to leave Port Adelaide and get to the open ocean.

Oh, and Somerton Park doesn't have any large stormwater drainage via the beach, at least not now. And I don't think there were factories in that area (for poisons to run off). It is a very residential area, and the real estate is on the pricey side these days. There are some beautiful old homes there, as well as lots of knock-down-old-and-build-new homes.

Thanks SA. It's great to have you on the ground with your wonderful sleuthing mind. We'll have this mystery solved in no time. :floorlaugh: Seriously though, the finer details that you mention about trains, Woomera etc. are very important IMO. And a big thank you to your friend. I tend to agree that the Government knows who SM was. That would also explain why his suitcase and belongings were disposed off. The copy of the Rubaiyat also seems to have disappeared. Very odd!

William West worked for the South Australian Railways and he supplied the arrival times for trains into Adelaide station during the morning of 30 November 1948.

Bowmans - 8:20am
Robertstown - 8:47am.
Willunga - 8:49am.
Angaston - 9:05am.
Melbourne Express - 9:15am.
Broken Hill Express - 9:17am.
Mt. Pleasant. - 10:00am
Angaston - 10:00am.
South East - 10:54am.

The scheduled train departures from Aledaide Station to Henley Beach that morning were;
5:13am
5:23am
6:03am
6:38am
6:59am
7:11am
7:27am
8:02am
8:15am
8:53am
9:30am
10:50am
11:51am. This train was running late and departed at 11:52am.

The suitcase allegedly belonging to SM was checked into the Adelaide Railway Station cloak room sometime between 11:00am and 12:00pm on 30 November 1948. The top section of the luggage ticket was attached to the suitcase. The corresponding section was not found in SM's pockets. He had an unused, one-way train ticket to Henley Beach and a used bus ticket to St. Leonards (now Glenelg North). The train ticket was sold in time to catch the 10:50am train. Why a one-way train ticket to Henley Beach? Did SM intend to stay overnight (without his suitcase)? Seems unlikely. What happened to the cloak room claim ticket?

The 11:15am time stamp on the bus ticket indicates that it was issued on a bus that departed South Terraces while en route to St. Leonards. So why did SM buy a train ticket to Henley Beach but then decided to catch a bus to St. Leonards? Perhaps he realised too late that Henley Beach wasn't the direction he wanted to go, or was someone following him and he was trying to shake them off?

There is a wealth of information to be found about this case in a series of documents if you are prepared to wade through the almost 400 pages.

http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/search/index.aspx

These files are from the documentary televised about the Somerton Man in 1978.

The Somerton Beach Story [Box 39]
1977 - 1978
Series number C673
Control symbol INSIDE STORY PART 1
Item barcode 7937871

The Somerton Beach Story [Box 39]
Contents date range 1977 - 1977
Series number C673
Control symbol INSIDE STORY PART 2
Item barcode 7937872

I'm still not convinced that Somerton Man fathered Jessica Thomson's son Robin. This theory seems to have grown from suggestions that SM was visiting Jessica because she had given birth to his child. A child that had similar distinguishing features to that of SM, mainly the unusual ears.

Jessica Thomson (nee Harkness) was born in Sydney in 1921. She graduated as a nurse at the Royal North Shore Hospital in 1946. Soon after she discovered she was pregnant and moved to Mentone in Melbourne to live with her parents until the baby was born in 1947. By 1948 Jessica was living in Adelaide as Jessica (or Jo Thomson) with Prosper Thomson, a car salesman. Prosper was often in trouble with the law, mainly through his shonky deals with various vehicles. Prosper was still a married man with a small child in 1948 but the marriage had broken down and in 1950 Prosper was divorced and he and Jessica married the same year. Their daughter Katherine was born soon after.

Click image to enlarge.

Jessica and Robin Thomson.
Jessica-and-son-Robin copy.jpg

Proper Thomson enlisted in the Australian Army in December 1941 and was discharged as unfit in September 1943. His medical condition was described as Post Concussion Syndrome. He'd also suffered from recurring bouts of sinusitis, bronchitis and asthma. Prosper's Army record describes him as being 6' 1" tall, with fair hair and complexion and blue eyes. At the time of his enlistment he was living in Mentone, Melbourne.

http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/search/index.aspx

Click image to enlarge.

Prosper Thomson.
Prosper McTaggart Thomson.jpg Prosper McTaggart Thomson2.jpg

Thanks to the recent 60 Minutes segment we now know what Jessica's son Robin looked like and I've used a screencap to compare Robin and Prosper Thomson.

Click image to enlarge.

Prosper and Robin Thomson.
Prosper-and-Robin-Thomas.jpg

I can see a distinct similarity between the two. The shape of the face, the eyes and the nose. IMO they could certainly pass for father and son. I just don't see any similarity between Robin Thomson and the photo we've seen of SM. Admittedly that photo was taken when he was deceased and after the autopsy.

So did Jessica leave Sydney after she graduated and was not pregnant, moved to Mentone with her parents and met Prosper who was also living at Mentone at that time? She conceived in Melbourne and after the baby was born all three moved to Adelaide where they weren't known and could live together as husband and wife until Prosper's divorce was final?

Click images to enlarge.

Artist's impression of the Somerton Man.
Somerton-Man-Likeness.jpg

The bust of the Somerton Man.
the-bust.jpg

Comparison of SM and Robin Thomson
SM-and-Robin-Thomson.jpg

The suitcase allegedly belonging to SM was checked into the Adelaide Railway Station cloak room sometime between 11:00am and 12:00pm on 30 November 1948. The top section of the luggage ticket was attached to the suitcase. The corresponding section was not found in SM's pockets. He had an unused, one-way train ticket to Henley Beach and a used bus ticket to St. Leonards (now Glenelg North). The train ticket was sold in time to catch the 10:50am train. Why a one-way train ticket to Henley Beach? Did SM intend to stay overnight (without his suitcase)? Seems unlikely. What happened to the cloak room claim ticket?

The 11:15am time stamp on the bus ticket indicates that it was issued on a bus that departed South Terraces while en route to St. Leonards. So why did SM buy a train ticket to Henley Beach but then decided to catch a bus to St. Leonards? Perhaps he realised too late that Henley Beach wasn't the direction he wanted to go, or was someone following him and he was trying to shake them off?

RSBM

He certainly could have been trying to shake someone off, Makara.

He buys a train ticket to Henley Beach (10km north of Glenelg & Somerton Beach).

He checks his suitcase into the cloakroom at the railway station on North Terrace then goes 2km to South Terrace to catch the next bus to St Leonards/Glenelg North.

In a hurry to get to the Glenelg/Somerton Beach area? In a hurry to slip a shadow? He could have caught a train to Glenelg, or taken a much-closer tram to Glenelg, but he chose to briskly walk (take a taxi?) 2km in order to catch a bus by 11:15am.

http://goo.gl/maps/63jju

Glenelg Tram - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.dsto.defence.gov.au/page/4516/

The DSTO timeline shows that the Long Range Weapons Establishment was formed at Salisbury as support for Woomera in 1947. I suppose it was possible that he'd been given the task to infiltrate either Woomera itself or the LRWE. It wouldn't be hard to do this... from all accounts I have heard screening of new hires was fairly lax just after the war. Maybe he failed in attempts to gain employment at Woomera (possibly they weren't hiring at the time?) and was visiting Jestyn to be given a fresh identity for applying for work at the LRWE?

Yes, very possible.

We knew the facility in Salisbury as WRE (Weapons Research Establishment) in our time in Woomera. It certainly supported activities at Woomera. I think parts were shipped into there, and I think there were also research laboratories there. Lots of activity back and forth between Woomera and WRE Salisbury (even us kids knew about it ... heard our parents mentioning it in small talk between themselves) and some transfers of people/jobs between Woomera and WRE Salisbury as well. It would be one way to possibly get access into Woomera and/or gain knowledge about what was happening there.

Salisbury is about 25km north of Adelaide/Glenelg/Somerton. RAAF still has a base at Edinburgh there.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abberline vs Edmund Reid
Back