GUILTY Australia - Tanilla Warrick-Deaves, 2, tortured, beaten to death, NSW, 27 Aug 2011

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
New FaCS Assessment Tool

<snipped>

Interim Child Assessment Tool (CAT) &#8211; NGO Review

Flowchart

C&FRU refer child/young person to NGO for placement

NGO determines if placement is suitable/available

NO Referral declined

YES Referral accepted

Place child/young person

CFRU Send CAT Scoresheet & CIF

30 day NGO review period commences

30 day NGO review period ends

CFRU worker reviews evidence.

CFRU worker reapplies CAT within 14 days & makes recommendation

Regional Director endorses recommendation

Contract Manager advised (DPP/ Head Office) and C&FRU

C&FRU Send reviewed CAT to CSC

Advise NGO of review outcome

Attach reviewed CAT to KiDS &#8211; Placement Needs Assessment Record

Send Revised CAT, NGO review form and RD endorsement to CAT mailbox:

ChildAssessmentTool@facs.nsw.gov.au
http://fcansw.wordpress.com/2012/06/07/facs-new-cat-child-assessment-tool/

This is a guide for Foster Carers. What stood out for me is that a child is placed ONLY IF there is an available Carer. Children are categorised by their behaviour in part which means the Carer has to be of a high level to be able to give support. I think there would not be many available. Also, the endless meetings that are held is a time waster in my opinion.

This month Fairfax Media revealed that almost three-quarters of children deemed at risk of significant harm in NSW will not see a caseworker to undergo safety checks. Figures obtained under freedom-of-information laws - after the Minister's office refused to provide numbers - revealed 61,308 children and young people were reported as being at risk between July 1, 2011, and June 30, 2012. Only 16,409 were interviewed by a caseworker and given a safety check.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/goward-silent-on-case-of-murdered-child-20130718-2q7b0.html#ixzz2ZwrYithQ

The article above also quietly slams Goward for her silence on the Kiesha Weippeart case.

Nothing much in the way of new news about Tanilla's case, but some interesting discussions going on. Here's a well-written article by a former caseworker somewhat apologist for the system:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-23/mccallum-protecting-our-children-without-the-politics/4837768

The comments underneath are worth reading, too.

This month Fairfax Media revealed that almost three-quarters of children deemed at risk of significant harm in NSW will not see a caseworker to undergo safety checks. Figures obtained under freedom-of-information laws - after the Minister's office refused to provide numbers - revealed 61,308 children and young people were reported as being at risk between July 1, 2011, and June 30, 2012. Only 16,409 were interviewed by a caseworker and given a safety check.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/goward-silent-on-case-of-murdered-child-20130718-2q7b0.html#ixzz2ZwrYithQ

The article above also quietly slams Goward for her silence on the Kiesha Weippeart case.

Nothing much in the way of new news about Tanilla's case, but some interesting discussions going on. Here's a well-written article by a former caseworker somewhat apologist for the system:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-23/mccallum-protecting-our-children-without-the-politics/4837768

The comments underneath are worth reading, too.

As eloquent as Andrews article is, it also sounds like a familiar cry - one that has been going on for decades, not just the last 20 years or so.
I remember 'The Year of the Child'. Since then I've been waiting for them to announce 'The Year of the Parent'.
We all remember Bobs speech on "No child will live in poverty..."

We've got a long way to go still
*sigh*

Yup, it's hard to ponder the bigger picture when you have to peer over the bodies of several dead children to do so, so to speak.

I have really wondered why there is not some kind of efficient 'triage system' in place for cases of children reported as being at risk.

We all know there's rubbish cases, where DOCS steps in where they're not needed. I've known several families who've been through the wringer that way, because their kids turned up to school -once- with a bruise they couldn't explain or something like that, and it didn't matter that the parents were actually and obviously good parents, through the wringer they go.

Then there's the families where DOCS is actually necessarily involved and the kids are -still- wandering about truant, filthy, undernourished, clearly abused.... multiple reports regarding the obvious abuse going on ... and the kids are STILL AT HOME year after year. I have personally seen plenty of those, too.

Why aren't the MOST serious cases (like Tanilla, like Kiesha) being dealt with swiftly, and the less serious and trivial cases, in which the child is obviously and clearly NOT at dire risk of harm, pushed to back burners if the dept is so terribly overburdened?

Can't they tell the difference? Red tape and politics aside, I think every decent parent in this country would know which kids need help immediately and which do not.

@Ausgirl
Interesting article about DOCS (now apparently known as FACS instead):

A (another) name change wont save them either. JMO

That 'poor excuse for a mother' and her dropkick boyfriend deserve the full force of the law!
and then the full force of whatever their prison mates dish out to them!
My heart aches for that darling little girl.....so, so sad :(

Righteous Anger

Those are two words that come to mind more times than I would care to admit -- we are right to be horrified, heartbroken, traumatized... but we need to find a new way to come together with our feelings of helplessness and figure out what just might work instead.

Look, I am not a big believer in vigilante justice, but I will tell you this: Had I had reason to report the harm of a child 33 time -- well, back up, because I would not have let it get that far --

I'm not judging. They were trying to do everything right.

Government failures can be summed up two ways: overworked caseworkers who are told to "keep a family together" at all costs and disregard their instincts in the absence of blatant "smoking gun" proof; and human beings capable of laziness, influence, and sometimes evil vindictiveness.

See link regarding such a case of the latter in my own home state of Kansas:
"Appeals Court Allows Child Death Suit Against SRS Worker"

Shameful.

This post was longer, WAY longer, but after review I realized it too be too emotional and therefore highly inappropriate.

In memory of Tanilla and her smile, her moments of joy and happiness, and in a search for justice for her tears and pain.... we, collectively, as a society, as a world HAVE to come up with a better way.

We need more people willing to hear the sad stories, to stop shielding themselves from the ugliness and horror -- we need to work together and find a better way to prevent as many of these cases as we possibly can -- government fails us too many times -- WE have to figure out a way.

Just an afterthought and FYI to those who don't already know, it is HIGHLY suggested that you call POLICE/EMERGENCY SERVICES/ETC (911 IN US) EVERY TIME YOU REPORT CHILD ABUSE even as you report it to child welfare services.... perhaps this little girl in KS would have had a chance had a police trail started.. and unfortunately a little boy in Newton, KS died when neighbors repeatedly called Child protective services but never the police. The Harvey County Sheriff was practically in tears in a news conference, begging people to "Call 911 first and SRS second."

What does this tell us? Perhaps LE needs it's own Child & family services division instead of simply entrusting the welfare of our children to the state ... jmo, thoughts?

No new news regarding Tanilla's murderers..

But Pru Goward's getting some well-deserved flak:

"Following a string of horrific fatal cases, the minister has consistently claimed the government has more than 2000 case workers on the books.

She was quizzed during a fiery budget estimates hearing on Monday about a recent Ernst & Young report that found as of March this year there were only 1797 workers.

"Why have you maintained the lie for months that there were over 2000 case workers?" asked Labor MP Luke Foley.

He said the "devastating piece of work" explained why 44,000 at risk children had failed to be seen by case workers over the last year."

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2013/08/12/16/59/goward-accused-of-lies-on-child-protection

And a Homicide Victim's Support Group is demanding that persons convicted of manslaughter do their time, rather than getting out in 4 or 5 years:

"It follows the manslaughter plea by Donna Deaves over the death of her two-year-old daughter Tanilla. She will be sentenced in September.

The Sunday Telegraph revealed last week a loophole in the Child Protection Act meant offenders convicted of the manslaughter of a child were not included on the register and would not be monitored in the future."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...or-child-killers/story-fni0cx12-1226678963497

Looks like Australia is starting to stand up and say "Enough is enough".

Awesome. Let's hope it works.

No new news regarding Tanilla's murderers..

But Pru Goward's getting some well-deserved flak:

"Following a string of horrific fatal cases, the minister has consistently claimed the government has more than 2000 case workers on the books.

She was quizzed during a fiery budget estimates hearing on Monday about a recent Ernst & Young report that found as of March this year there were only 1797 workers.

"Why have you maintained the lie for months that there were over 2000 case workers?" asked Labor MP Luke Foley.

He said the "devastating piece of work" explained why 44,000 at risk children had failed to be seen by case workers over the last year."

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2013/08/12/16/59/goward-accused-of-lies-on-child-protection

And a Homicide Victim's Support Group is demanding that persons convicted of manslaughter do their time, rather than getting out in 4 or 5 years:

"It follows the manslaughter plea by Donna Deaves over the death of her two-year-old daughter Tanilla. She will be sentenced in September.

The Sunday Telegraph revealed last week a loophole in the Child Protection Act meant offenders convicted of the manslaughter of a child were not included on the register and would not be monitored in the future."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...or-child-killers/story-fni0cx12-1226678963497

Looks like Australia is starting to stand up and say "Enough is enough".

Awesome. Let's hope it works.

Nice post! That loophole needs closing and something done immediately.
I so hope new resources are put in place - because "Enough is truly Enough!"
I hope Donna Deaves sentence reflects what happened to poor Tanilla - and she's not out in 2 years or something ridiculous like that.

and as for Prue Gowards handling of this .... :banghead:

Bumping for Tanilla...

There's no new news, it seems. Other than more heavy criticism for the welfare dept. and politicians (by this, I mean Pru) scrambling to cover their butts in light of some pretty awful statistics.

The August 26 trial date for the murdering so-and-so of a stepdad has come and gone, and - did I miss something? Was it postponed again? There's not a word out there that I can find about it...

I'd be grateful for any news anyone else can dig up.

Ausgirl...according to a justice for Tanilla twitter page, it seems the accused's trial was postponed until 9th September, yesterday. Nothing at all about the trial so far so perhaps it's once again been postponed.

https://twitter.com/Justice4Tanilla

The FB page also says she is yet to be sentenced and will appear in court this week. Looks like this Thursday is sentencing. Maybe they are waiting to see the judgement of the witness to the violence before they start with the perpetrator of hitting and shaming a toddler.

From what I can see just from one photo and her remarks to Tanilla (better off dead), she had limited power in the relationship and maybe a diagnosis of II.

Why the heck would you put a child to sleep in a pram? Over days... after an injury?

I think portacots are carp as well. I bought it for germs during day naps while visiting people. Little kids are prone to germs, so it was a day bed for my newborn while I watched during the day. I loaned mine out to someone (Teacher) who loaned it out to an idiot. They told me one year later that an infant died in it.. Not for overnights. Return not necessary thanks.

I digress, Tanilla's dad seems caring? Why not share custody with him or give him custody and she visited?

Were they in a commission house that relied on Tanilla's custody?

TMI from my last post but they included a homemade mattress for all night sleeping and the infant got wedged in between. Nothing but sympathy all round, I was told a year later.

I wonder what it would be like to be in a position as parent wishing them 'dead'.

Rest in Peace Tanilla.

FATHER OF TANILLA REVEALS HIS GRIEF

The father of a two-year-old girl who was killed on the central coast has broken down in court while describing his grief at the loss of his daughter, declaring "we need to stop this happening to other Australian children"

"This is how I got my baby girl back - dead," he said.
"She left you there like you were nothing.
"We need to stop this happening to other Australian children. She doesn't have a voice - we are her voice."

"I can't live with what happened. I've been hospitalised twice. I'm a broken man. My life will never be the same again."

http://m.smh.com.au/nsw/father-of-t...s-his-grief-20130912-2tm1h.html#ixzz2ee3vFt00

:(

It's a shame he didn't have custody of his girls..

"She left you there like you were nothing" -- she did indeed. Just inhuman.

I hope Tanilla's sister is okay, she must miss her.

Donna Deaves tells court why she left daughter Tanilla to die in pram

Court Reporter - Paul Bibby 13 September 2013 - 8:09AM

Donna Deaves sat in the witness box, pale, and tried to explain why she left her seriously injured two-year-old daughter, Tanilla, lying in a pram for two days as the little girl's life ebbed away.

'Until you're in that position, it's impossible to say what it's like," the 29-year-old told her Supreme Court sentencing hearing on Thursday. "When you're shocked and frightened or scared it's really difficult to do anything

Donna Deaves sat in the witness box, pale, and tried to explain why she left her seriously injured two-year-old daughter, Tanilla, lying in a pram for two days as the little girl's life ebbed away.

'Until you're in that position, it's impossible to say what it's like," the 29-year-old told her Supreme Court sentencing hearing on Thursday. "When you're shocked and frightened or scared it's really difficult to do anything.

Reading a victim impact statement to the court, Tanilla's biological father, Adrian Warrick said that on one of the few occasions he had been allowed to take Tanilla, she was bruised and malnourished.

Child welfare workers told him Deaves was fit to have custody of Tanilla, he said.

"Eight months later she is murdered ... I never saw Tanilla again until the day we buried her."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/donna-dea...die-in-pram-20130913-2to6a.html#ixzz2ek7BrRzP

Sentencing on September 19th.

Why do people who do not want to love and care for a child keep them? Money is the first answer that comes to my mind. As long as you have a child under school age, you are not required to work......instead you can draw public assistance, plus child support.....so if they allowed the child to go to a loving home......they'd lose their meal ticket. I am NOT downing people who draw public assistance......in today's economy many people need it...... and those people should not be condemned for things they can't control. I am criticizing how some people keep a child they do not want, just so they can draw it. I dare any one in the world to tell me I have to stand by while they abuse my child or I will be next.....cause they would have to kill me before they got near my child. Then to leave that poor injured child laying there.....not bothering to get her help......there are no words to express my anger!!!! That poor little girl, from the sound of it......could have been living in a loving home with her father. Why would anybody pick a b/f or g/f over their own child? I simply do not understand it. How many children have to die before CPS beefs it up and starts following up on child abuse allegations. The smile on the mothers face reminds me of the same smile CA had as she walked out of the police department after one of her first interviews, before she was charged.......it just makes me sick!!!!

September 12, 2013

A mother who let her two-year-old daughter die has told a Sydney court "of course'' she loved the child.
Donna Deaves, whose two-year-old daughter, Tanilla Warrick-Deaves, died from a number of injuries in August 2011, told the Supreme Court in Sydney on Thursday she was sorry for her daughter's death.

"Of course I'm sorry,'' Deaves, who seemed belligerent at times during her sentence hearing, said.

http://www.news.com.au/national-new...d-her-dead-child/story-fnii5s3x-1226717935867

Why do people who do not want to love and care for a child keep them? Money is the first answer that comes to my mind. As long as you have a child under school age, you are not required to work......instead you can draw public assistance, plus child support.....so if they allowed the child to go to a loving home......they'd lose their meal ticket. I am NOT downing people who draw public assistance......in today's economy many people need it...... and those people should not be condemned for things they can't control. I am criticizing how some people keep a child they do not want, just so they can draw it. I dare any one in the world to tell me I have to stand by while they abuse my child or I will be next.....cause they would have to kill me before they got near my child. Then to leave that poor injured child laying there.....not bothering to get her help......there are no words to express my anger!!!! That poor little girl, from the sound of it......could have been living in a loving home with her father. Why would anybody pick a b/f or g/f over their own child? I simply do not understand it. How many children have to die before CPS beefs it up and starts following up on child abuse allegations. The smile on the mothers face reminds me of the same smile CA had as she walked out of the police department after one of her first interviews, before she was charged.......it just makes me sick!!!!

This is sickening in so many ways. Your reference to Casey Anthony from Florida, who was found not guilty is a bit different to Tanilla's mother Donna.

The smile from Donna was the first time I felt sorry for her. I think perhaps that she may have an intellectual impairment.

That is not excusable in any sense. Moo that the correctional officers were wanting a prisoner being transported in a safe manner back to prison so they would not end up in medical observation.

This picture was taken after she was found guilty.

Just Moo and I have no experience in this.

My question is why was the father not given weekend or interment access to Tanilla?

This is sickening in so many ways. Your reference to Casey Anthony from Florida, who was found not guilty is a bit different to Tanilla's mother Donna.

My reference to CA was only in reference to the smiling photo of this little angels mother in the courtroom. The photo....which is posted in one of the earlier posts......shows Tanillas mother smiling for the cameras, despite the fact that her babygirl was brutally abused, much like one of the first photos of a smiling CA exiting the police department after spending hours answering questions about her daughter.....she was smiling ear to ear for the cameras the same as Donna was. The reference was not to the details of the cases, only to the smiling mothers who both knew their children were dead.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finch5800
Back